Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
E.

Nevill

Arcane
I like these offhand comments Shinoseki makes to himself from time to time. I think we have been neglecting them for a while.

Besides, she looks like Uehara. Works for me. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A - 1
B - 1
C - 4
E - 3

Post-flop:

C - 4
E - 5

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Interlude: A time and place that does not exist

You cannot help but steal a glance at the gap that has been expertly created by judicious tailoring, leaving exposed skin on her pale, smooth legs that occupy a well-delineated region between the hem of her dress and the line of her thigh-high black stockings. Less, as they say, is more, you think appreciatively, and nowhere is this truism better defined than the sparse yet imaginatively bountiful space you see before you, a territory of abso-

“S-Shinoseki-sama? Is everything alright?”

Your musings are interrupted by a flustered plea that redirects your eyes towards the reddened face of the maid. It seems that the direction of your gaze has not been lost upon her. Your own cheeks flush with embarrassment as you regret your lack of self-control. This is definitely not the best way to introduce yourself.

“I would appreciate it if you would not ogle the help.” You are interrupted before an apology manages to leave your throat. Though the words are reproachful, the light-hearted tone is not. Turning around, you see the master of this room approaching the table, a slight smile on his lips. Gesturing at the maid, he says, “We will be having Darjeeling, and I do not recommend the citrus peel and cocoa powder you added the last time. Please keep it normal, just once.” With an impeccable curtsey and a nod, she hurries off to do his bidding.

Another weird blend. You hope that it is at least as palatable as the last one.

The man takes his customary seat, steepling his gloved fingers together and looking straight at you. “You must forgive my lapse in hospitality. I was almost certain you would not return alone this night, and had made other preparations. It was certainly a close call that resulted in an interesting outcome. Is it luck, as he calls it? Perhaps, but who can say what ‘luck’ truly is, in this place? In the end, it is the results that matter.” He chuckles.

“’He’, you say. Who is ‘he’?”

“He is your enemy,” shrugs the man. “That should be clear enough: anyone who would shoot you in the head is certainly not your friend. More importantly, he has been lured into revealing himself… into being observed. A shrewd move on your part, though not without sacrifice. This action could yet prove to be an important piece to your game.”

“Are you saying I have to defeat him?” Like a boss in some videogame, you think.

“I am not saying anything,” he smiles enigmatically. “Whatever answers you infer are of your own will. For one, have you not made some progress regarding the answer to the question I posed? I believe we have both gained by knowing more of what you find important, but ultimately the questions are yours to answer, not mine.”

“You are… certainly a lot more generous with your words this time around,” you say carefully.

He raises an eyebrow. “Am I? Perhaps I am just in a talkative mood.” He does seem a bit more cheerful than the last time you saw him.

Frowning, you shake your head and sigh. “I’m still nowhere close to escaping this hell, am I?”

The man laughs. “Do you know the tale of Orpheus and Eurydice?”

You nod. Orpheus and Eurydice… a Greek legend where Orpheus ventured into the underworld to rescue his wife, Eurydice, who had been bitten by a snake. The Greek god of the underworld, Hades, had been reluctant to release her, and only did so on the condition that during their departure, Orpheus was not to look back at his wife. Unsurprisingly – to anyone who knew anything about Greek myths – he did, and she was lost to him forever. You are reminded of a story that closely paralleled this tale: that of Izanagi and Izanami.

“Yes, Izanagi and Izanami. Of course, these were not the first stories… there is an even older tale of a descent into the underworld; that of Inanna, the Sumerian goddess, but that is neither here nor there.” He smiles warmly. “I do wonder, Shinoseki Adachi, if you will play the role of Izanagi, or the role of Orpheus…”

The maid returns, carrying the tea that the man asked for on a silver tray. She sets it down and serves the cups deftly without a word – in fact, you seem certain that she is trying to avoid you as much as she can. The man picks up his cup, but pauses before he sips from it. “There is still some time before the next night begins. Again you will begin at a disadvantage, but I am sure you are used to it by now. You have met plenty of people thus far, though you may not have had the time to really socialize with them. Still, I am sure each and every one of them has made an impression on you, no matter how minor. This brings me to my next question, Shinoseki Adachi, a question whose answer may be of use to you when the night falls yet another time and you find yourself in that place of gathering.”

“Who do you trust the most?”

A. Sakimura Yuuki, the sporty schoolboy.

B. Kayano Rina, the steady office lady.

C. Uehara Shizuka, the bubbly schoolgirl.

D. Sakaki Okitsu, the grumpy author.

E. Maeda Nami, the proud heiress.

F. Taketatsu Kouichi, the quiet entrepreneur.

G. Sawada Junichi, the friendly celebrity.

H. Okuyama Midori, the outgoing trainee nurse.

I. Tokigawa Kou, the responsible trainee doctor.

J. Mori Akiyama, the gruff detective.

K. Iwano Mitsuki, the sensitive little girl.

L. Amanozaki Touko, the eccentric (self-proclaimed) psychic.

M. Yourself.

N. The man in the room.

O. The creepy old man.

P. No one.

Q. The maid.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
M> Q> C> J> K> L> E

Would say almost equally but need to have some order right? +M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
“I would appreciate it if you would not ogle the help.”
Pfft, it’s fine, it’s fine. Maids are made to be ogled!

Consider it payback, Shizuka! :P

“I do wonder, Shinoseki Adachi, if you will play the role of Izanagi, or the role of Orpheus…”
Orpheus. Definitely Orpheus. Just look at that number of 1337 skills! No sane man would just happen to know them.

I would say that the question of trust is a bit hamfisted and highly irrelevant, but if I would have to ally with anyone, I would do it with Mori, Uehara, or Amanozaki. They all have motives and the means to fight back against our common enemy, and they all seem to be of a decent sort.

Which is funny, considering that we and Mori can't stand each other, and so do Amanozaki and Uehara.

C>J>L

Why is the maid not on the list? She can't be a bad person if she is so thoughtful of guests, can she?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I would say that the question of trust is a bit hamfisted and highly irrelevant

As mentioned in the update, it may be of use. How exactly it turns out to be useful, you won't know until the next chapter is underway, of course.

Why is the maid not on the list? The maid can't be a bad person if she of so thoughtful of guests.

Sure.

Nevill

Arcane
As mentioned in the update, it may be of use.
Oh, I have no doubt that something will change based on our answer.

It's just... isn't it too early to speak of 'trust', of all things? We like certain people, we would like to cooperate with certain people, we have even risked our life for some of them, but trust is a bit too big of a word to be used for someones we know for... what, 10 hours, if we throw away the timeskips?

You work with what you are given, that is why I called it irrelevant. I don't really trust any of them, just some more so than the others.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What you mean to say is that you are less wary of some than others. That's also what the "No one" option is for, if you don't exactly trust any of them and think it is too strong a word to use.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
At the moment, I trust Mitsuki most. She can't be that untrustworthy, her being only 12.

K.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom