Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
track: prey

Somewhat reluctantly, you place one hand on the handrail for support and limp down the stairs a step at a time. The building shudders again. The lights begin to behave bizarrely, flickering off and on at random intervals. Your nerves are shaken and strained to their limit, both by the recent string of deaths, and the strange nature of the hospital… but at this point there is no choice but to move on. Though you would like nothing better than to curl up in the corner and wait for everything to blow over, it does not seem like a safe choice.

When you reach the first sublevel, a ghastly sight greets you. You step back and almost slip off the stairs in shock. Tokigawa and Okuyama are leaning against the wall in a sitting position. A gaping, red slit has been drawn across each of their throats. From the amount of the blood coating their necks, they are beyond any hope of rescue. Sakaki, the author, is spread out on the floor. His neck is twisted at an unnatural angle, his blood-shot eyes looking up at the ceiling. He, too, is unmistakably dead. As you clear the final step cautiously, your left leg stings painfully. You grab the railing tightly to avoid falling. Pulling up your pants, you can’t help but think that the bruise has spread even further… it now covers a good part of your shin.

A piercing scream distracts you from your leg. You had almost forgotten.

It’s coming from the level below.

Hastily, as you drag yourself down the stairs, you bring out the pistol that you took from Mori. It is a snub-nosed revolver, of the sort commonly seen in cheap television dramas where they are used by both policemen and yakuza. It feels surprisingly light in your hand – you thought it would have weighed more – and feels comfortable to hold. You remember faintly that you are supposed to thumb the latch on the side. The cylinder swings open, allowing you to peer inside the chambers. There are two rounds remaining out of five.

As you stumble onto the second sublevel, you find the source of the commotion. At the same time, you slip on the blood and tumble to the floor. The gun almost flies from your grip. Crawling to your hands and knees, you stare at Kayano. Her belly has been cut open –greyish-pink guts have squeezed out of the wound, becoming entangled in her lifeless, bloody fingers. Her eyes stare at you blankly… almost accusingly. It looks like she has just expired.

You hear sounds of a scuffle from further down the hallway. You scramble to your feet and begin limping desperately towards the noise.

There they are.

Taketatsu and Maeda.

Maeda’s expensive, elegant black dress is half torn – silently, Taketatsu rips off even more of the fabric even as she tries to kick him off of her. He has lost his blazer somewhere, and his long, white-sleeved shirt is stained with spatters of blood.

“You never let me touch you, you bitch,” he whispers monotonously. “Don’t get all coy on me now.”

“Fuck off!” screams Maeda in a decidedly unladylike manner. Turning her head around wildly in desperation, she spots you hobbling towards them. “Shi… Shinoseki!”

Taketatsu pulls her around and tightens his elbow around her neck, his hands groping her breast roughly. Maeda chokes and kicks vainly at the air as he hauls her back. “Shinoseki Adachi-san. I’ve never been more glad to see someone in my life!” The formerly quiet, calm business man laughs, his spectacles askew. His neatly parted hair is now a messy shock of black. “I’m sure you understand what I’m doing, right? Right?”

“I… I don’t know… what are you doing?” you respond nervously. It’s the truth. You have no idea what he’s doing.

“We’re all going to die. Everyone else is already dead. But I won’t die here. I’ll sacrifice what is needed. You understand, right? There are thirteen of us. Of course you understand.”

You shake your head, taking one step closer.

“Ah. Ah, ah,” Taketatsu shakes his head manicly. “Careful, Shinoseki Adachi-san. Just wait. After I take care of this woman we’ll be free. You promised me that we would.”

When? You refrain from saying anything, though, being as confused as you are.

There is a glint of metal – a large, flat scalpel appears in Taketatsu’s hand. He raises it into the air.

“L-let me go!” screams Maeda, struggling to free herself from his grasp, but Taketatsu remains unbudged as if possessed by some supernatural strength.

“Stop it, Taketatsu-san!” you yell out fearfully. Seeing no other choice, you raise the gun, gripping it with both hands.

“Ha. Ha ha.” His laugh is stilted and cold. “What are you doing, Shinoseki Adachi-san?”

“P-please… let go of Maeda-san,” you plead, your voice breaking in desperation. “It’s… what is going on here? Did you… did you kill everyone else?”

A darkness blooms in his eyes. “No. Of course not. I didn’t do anything. The hospital did it.” Taketatsu giggles, placing the scalpel against Maeda’s bare chest. “Please wait. I’ll be with you shortly.”

Maeda draws her breath in sharply and gulps, straining to keep her body away from the sharp blade in vain.

“I… I’ll shoot, Taketatsu-san!”

Taketatsu stares at you from behind his twisted glasses. “Come on, Shinoseki Adachi-san. You? Shoot? With that? That is a Nambu M60 revolver, if I’m not mistaken. Was it Mori-san’s? I like guns. I know a lot of about them. Look at you. You are shaking. You would not hit me. Not at this range. Not with that gun. You might hit Maeda-san instead. I would mind that a lot, because she is mine. I would like to continue having her. Please put the gun down and be patient. I’ll be done soon.” His mouth splits open in a wide, insane grin that shows far too many teeth for your comfort.

Your breathing is heavy. You can feel the sharp pain in your cheek. The dull ache in your ribs. The deep sting writhing its way up your leg. Your arms are heavy. Your aim is wavering. The iron sights sway from side to side, as your vision blurs from the sweat trickling into your eyes.

Should I shoot him?

Can I hit him?

What if I hit Maeda-san instead?

What if-

The scalpel presses inwards. A trickle of blood appears on Maeda’s fair skin.

“Taketatsu-san!“

…move.

Yet your finger refuses to move, to pull the trigger.

Move.

Your breathing stops, your heart catches in your throat.

Move!

The blade digs in. Tears itself out with a flick of Taketatsu’s hand. And again. And again. Savagely, rabidly, he attacks Maeda with the sharp instrument, grunting gleefully. In the midst of his frenzy he cuts his own arm but he does not appear to notice. With a snort, he drops her to the ground.

Unable to keep your arms up anymore, you lower the gun.

I couldn’t do anything.

I couldn’t move when I needed to.

But I could have shot Maeda-san.

It was too risky.

I should have done something anyway.

I shouldn't.

“Now it’s your turn, Shinoseki Adachi-san,” smiles Taketatsu, blood still dripping off his spectacles. His eyes shine darkly behind the red stains. “We need to talk. But before that, put down the gun. An amateur has no business holding one. It would look better in my hand. I should have it, right? Ha. Ha ha. I know you understand, right? Right?”

You do not respond, lost in your own thoughts. His words and face almost do not register in your mind.

I…

“Shinoseki Adachi-san?” asks Taketatsu again with perfect politeness as he turns towards you.

23:47

A. You shoot him. After all, Maeda-san is not in the way anymore.

B. He’s right… you should talk to him. He might know how to escape… right?

C. You run upstairs. This is all too much for you.

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
A, death is the only escape.

Though something tells me, death won't be the end for us in this case. I get the feeling we have been here before.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shoot him, of course. Should have done it while Maeda was still alive. What was the matter with us? Shyness has nothing to do with this.

Never cared for anyone here except for Maeda and Uehara. And Mori, maybe.

Now, things may not be as they seem, but it does not necessarily mean they are better.

A.

Who is left, then? Sawada and Mitsuki? Somehow I doubt Sawada is still alive. He is too 'normal' to live.

Though something tells me, death won't be the end for us in this case. I get the feeling we have been here before.
And will likely be here again. It is going to be the groundhog day in 13 minutes. Look at the time.

“We’re all going to die. Everyone else is already dead. But I won’t die here. I’ll sacrifice what is needed. You understand, right? There are thirteen of us. Of course you understand.”
Interesting. Thirteen people go missing, but only one returns? That's why only 12 people disappeared 2 years ago?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Shyness has nothing to do with this.

No, but not having shot anyone before, not having seen so many dead bodies before, not being used to experiencing such stress and trauma, not having experienced a stand-off before, getting nervous easily, having a distinct lack of self-confidence, and having a painful, distracting bruise on your leg probably adds up to having something to do with it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, must have done it by accident. Or maybe I'm just expecting people to vote to shoot. :M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
C

Using phone now, because motherfucking computers and ner sricks are fucking over me.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Shyness has nothing to do with this.

No, but not having shot anyone before, not having seen so many dead bodies before, not being used to experiencing such stress and trauma, not having experienced a stand-off before, getting nervous easily, having a distinct lack of self-confidence, and having a painful, distracting bruise on your leg probably adds up to having something to do with it.

I didn't know shyness = lack of self confidence, then again the others are valid points.
Well the fact that we have such a meek main charcater is gonna be great for character development, when we finally turn him into a badass.

Nevill

Arcane
I am just disappointed with our character a bit, for the first time in a long while.

It isn't even his indecisiveness that tips me off, it's also how he tries to justify it by not wanting to hurt Maeda.

What difference does it make if Taketatsu kills her anyway if you don't shoot? The lie he is telling himself is just pathetic.

Well. Let's see if he can kill a man when there is nothing else to distract himself with.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I didn't know shyness = lack of self confidence

Shyness can come from a lack of confidence.

I am just disappointed with our character a bit

Only a bit? I'm not doing things right then. :rpgcodex:

images

Or it could be that deep down he actually wanted Maeda dead and out of the way, and didn't want to waste a bullet on her. Taketatsu was eager to do the dirty work. Let him. :M

Akkudakku

Arbiter
The thing is this - we kill him and it's RESTART BABY!!!

Soooo... A lets kill him, to prove the point I made. Then we can get more info on the next pass (and probably we wont lose recollection of what happened on the first one).

It's our own personal groundhog day.

And to save everyone WE have to die, probably.

Wonder how many takes it will be before we are utterly insane?

EDIT: Oh wait there are others that we can't confirm as dead yet... well damn.

Nevill

Arcane
Only a bit? I'm not doing things right then.
The rest isn't at odds with what I wanted for the character in the first place. :M

Or it could be that deep down he actually wanted Maeda dead and out of the way, and didn't want to waste a bullet on her.
Out of what way? Why would we kill our only tsundere?

Besides, it is not very interesting watching corpse's bare boobs. They don't shy away and try to cover it. We have missed on all the fun. :(

EDIT: Oh wait there are others that we can't confirm as dead yet... well damn.
There are three rounds missing from Mori's revolver, and none of the victims we've seen died from gunshot wounds. :M

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, he shouldn't rationalise his own weakness to himself at least.

The thing is, given all the lack of balls he has demonstrated, A has a high chance of going wrong - he might really miss, and he'd only get one shot. C won't work either with our bruise, we were already tripping and dragging ourselves down the stairs. B may work not because of our persuasive skills but because not saying much seems to be just fine with him. Though the real question is what he understands us to be. There's material in the update both to suggest that he considers us an ally and that he would consider us the next victim:

“Ah. Ah, ah,” Taketatsu shakes his head manicly. “Careful, Shinoseki Adachi-san. Just wait. After I take care of this woman we’ll be free. You promised me that we would.”

“Now it’s your turn, Shinoseki Adachi-san,” smiles Taketatsu, blood still dripping off his spectacles.

Anyway, that's what - two dead before we were locked up, now four including Mori dead - so us two, and then 5 more left?

Nevill

Arcane
Anyway, that's what - two dead before we were locked up, now four including Mori dead - so us two, and then 5 more left?
You can see who is left alive on the front page.
Tokigawa and Okuyama are leaning against the wall in a sitting position. [...] Sakaki, the author, is spread out on the floor. [...] Crawling to your hands and knees, you stare at Kayano.
Mori, Tokigawa, Okuyama, Sakaki, Kayano and now Maeda have died since we got locked. Six people.

Tigranes said:
The thing is, given all the lack of balls he has demonstrated, A has a high chance of going wrong - he might really miss, and he'd only get one shot.
Actually, we have two shots.

And I don't think it is very important who gets to win in our little fight. In the end, all of us will die. This time, at the very least.

I just want to make a statement, and try to find Mitsuki before it all ends.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Flopping to C on a hunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom