Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You already captured one of them though. Besides, they're not going to die from getting shot in the back. Well, not all of them.

lightbane

Arcane
So much for diplomacy. Still, I can't say I'm surprised. It wasn't going to be pretty once they realized who we are.

Anyway:
1. E>F>B>A>C. We can't let them escape, even if we "accidentally" kill some of them in the process. By the way treave, does F imply Erd will throw away his cloak in order to fly to the top of the windmill, or will he still attempt to conceal his angelic features as much as he can?
2. B. It's tempting to let Rin have fun, but we cannot leave the Guvernor and his daughter unprotected.
Also, good to see you feel better treave (hopefully).

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, we could capture one of them and have small talk, like between friends. Maybe we will learn something.
The point is to get them all before they report. Golden Snake is already a priotiry to capture, anyone else is excessive. Though I have half a mind to subdue them and give them to Hastwell to do as he sees fit. He could get his understanding with them now or have them rot at the bottom of Ontoglia's pit - it's not like we care.

I worry a bit about not having Rin's sight to catch the Snake. She was so sneaky Rin didn't even notice her at first.

So much for diplomacy.
No, this is where the angel diplomacy begins. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By the way treave, does F imply Erd will throw away his cloak in order to fly to the top of the windmill, or will he still attempt to conceal his angelic features as much as he can?

I suppose less fly, more jump really high?

Also, good to see you feel better treave (hopefully).

If I felt better the update would be longer. :M

TOME

Cuckmaster General
CB

D, F and G feels a bit unreliable to me if we want catch them all which should be point of this.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hmm. I am hesitant to use lightning magic. They should at least know that we are a master lighting mage. Perhaps they brought something along to deal with lighting-based spells.

FB>CB>HA - F is the only option that seems really different. The higher vantage point might provide us with an insight we would otherwise lack and someone needs to guard the mayor and his daughter, so we'll leave Rin be.

edit: Of course, we could just drag this guy inside and ask Rin to round up/deal with the rest. treave, would that be HA?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
They should at least know that we are a master lighting mage. Perhaps they brought something along to deal with lighting-based spells.
They had no idea we were there. They were tracking Hastwell, not us. I do not believe we left behind many clues about our involvement with him the second time around.

I also do not believe there is any lightning-counter to Gigadyne. It doesn't use elements to attack, but to augment ourselves. Its drawback is likely having witnesses - witnesses that you have control over, but still.

I am not sure we qualify as a master lightning mage yet. Master summoner - maybe, due to how we fought in Erise and Elmont duel. But we weren't using Lightning much more than that.

F is the only option that seems really different.
It is also the only option that utilizes a low-level rank E spell. It might be enough for their boss, or it might not. She might be hard to hit/notice/track without an AoE. Shooting 16 people takes more time than one massive spell. But it also leaves less traces of our presence here than burning fields and uprooted trees for miles. There are different considerations here.

Of course, we could just drag this guy inside and ask Rin to round up/deal with the rest.
I believe the choice of 'have Rin deal with it' was what we were presented with last update. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

I believe the choice of 'have Rin deal with it' was what we were presented with last update. :rpgcodex:
Nah, this way we ensured that we had at least one survivor to interrogate. Now we just let Rin do what she does best. If we get another prisoner, great, if not, oh well, at least we have this one. It may be a bit safer for us to gaurd the mayor anyway. All it would take is Rin swinging a little too wide and oop, the mayor's daughter's head comes off. Though,in all honesty, I don't think there is too much risk of that.

I am not sure we qualify as a master lightning mage yet. Master summoner - maybe, due to how we fought in Erise and Elmont duel. But we weren't using Lightning much more than that.
As far as the people who witnessed us take out one of their most promising lighting mages are concerned, I mean. The most powerful spell they saw us use was lightning based. If you wanted to counter that, you would need something effective against lighting magic. So summoning lighting wolves or even using gigadyne might meet with a counter.
Nah, this way we ensured that we had at least one survivor to interrogate.
I think that's what the option A was for:

Well, it's up to you. treave already confirmed it would work the way I want it to though. Frankly, I wanted to pick A to begin with.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They had no idea we were there.

They might still not know who you are. You didn't introduce yourself after all.

Well, it's up to you. treave already confirmed it would work the way I want it to though.

I only confirmed that the combination would mean you bringing the guy in and telling Rin to go sweep up the rest.

This is different from Rin ambushing them before they could start running and thus not guaranteed to play out the same way. I do not know how you want it to work out.

lightbane

Arcane
It is also the only option that utilizes a low-level rank E spell. It might be enough for their boss, or it might not. She might be hard to hit/notice/track without an AoE. Shooting 16 people takes more time than one massive spell. But it also leaves less traces of our presence here than burning fields and uprooted trees for miles. There are different considerations here.

On the other hand, it is such a simple spell that Erd is most likely able to cast it multiple times in succession, allowing him to shot down the fleeing agents with a rate of fire equal to a machinegun. Still, a tornado is not a bad choice. However, how would Erd know that he has got all of the 16 agents before they were able to escape? treave, how fast is that tornado whenever moving? And how much of an area can it cover? Does the latter depends on how much mana is spent to adjust its size? Can multiple Tornados be cast to cover a wider area? Lastly, how much time does the False Prophecy spell last? We don't want our soon-to-be prisoner to recover too soon.
Perhaps it would be best for Erd to jump on the top of the windmill/hover in the air with his wings anyway to ensure he has a better line of sight before he summons his wind magic.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, how fast is that tornado whenever moving?

Fast enough.

And how much of an area can it cover?

Wide enough.

Does the latter depends on how much mana is spent to adjust its size?

It's not variable.

Can multiple Tornados be cast to cover a wider area?

Yes, but this means giving up fine control over their movement.

Lastly, how much time does the False Prophecy spell last?

Long enough.

Nevill

Arcane
As far as the people who witnessed us take out one of their most promising lighting mages are concerned, I mean. The most powerful spell they saw us use was lightning based.
Is Elmont a lightning mage, then? The most powerful spell he used - lightning wolf - was based on that element.

By the way, Petrification is on the same level with Lightning Tiger. Though only Farland and his adjutant had seen it in action.

I don't think people have a solid idea of who we are yet, hardly enough to come up with a counter they'd be willing to bet their lives on.

They might still not know who you are. You didn't introduce yourself after all.
A badass mage in a very tall hat. There shouldn't be too many of those.

They'd have to be pretty dense not to connect Hastwell, a tall-hatted mage, and a miraculous healing of his daughter. Particularly since any agents should have known we passed through Ontoglia a mere month ago and had a meeting with the Governor. If Farland knows it (through Leila/Faislin/Ellen link? or through other means? we never asked him), then there is no reason for Hargreave not to be aware of it, if only through Wist/Ellen link.

Their 'guess' won't stand in court... but I don't think Hargreave is one to operate within the confines of the law anyway. :M

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Perhaps Erd slightly changed the style of his hat and cloak in order to not to be so easily recognized. I doubt he knows much about tailoring, but who knows, everyone has their guilty pleasures. :shittydog:

Also he was briefly spotted by these knight rookies some time ago, but the exposure was so short-lived that no-one made a relation yet.

Kipeci

Arcane
EB > GA

Gigadyne holds the best answer to getting this over with quickly and by ourselves, but all of you seem worried about leaving witnesses for some reason? I view that as more "we musn't reveal our techniques!" garbage that pointlessly holds us back from ensuring that none of them get away. Who cares what they see if none of them get away? Gigadyne is on a way higher level than any lightning magic people are likely to have seen in this place anyway, I wouldn't tend to recognize a guy incinerating me at a touch while zipping around at blazing speeds as using the same sort of magic as tends towards releasing firebolts.

If all of you continue being silly, I am open to a bit of bonding with Rin and the gauntlet and earning more XP through the fists, though. I'd still rather leave Rin in to react if they try to get rid of the governor, but I don't think we could get them all with G otherwise.

Nevill

Arcane
all of you seem worried about leaving witnesses for some reason?
Witnesses or traces. It's less of a worry and more of a statement.

It shouldn't be a problem if we kill them all, but it might be if we capture them and try to rectuit/intimidate them or outright hand them over to Hastwell. After all, the last choice was between kill/parley/ignore, and we chose to parley. It would be kind of a waste to make it redundant.

There is also a matter of Gigadyne Verandert revealing our form. I assume there are circumstances in which we would not want even our allies (Hastwell) to know who or what we are. Not that he cares, now that his daughter's fate depends on our well-being, but he can't reveal what he doesn't know - neither accidentally, nor under a torture.

I view that as more "we musn't reveal our techniques!" garbage
Your views on stealth are well-known. :M :lol:

lightbane

Arcane
Personally I do not care about leaving witnesses or not since they are going down anyway but instead being hit by an antimagic spell at the worst moment, something which could kill us in "lightning mode" (and Verandert is not likely to cause mass destruction by itself).

On the other hand, since Erd is intending in Koing the agents, he probably won't need his "full power mode" for this. Also, Nevill, it is doubtful that the governor will see us since he's still inside the windmill. Even then, he could attribute our Verandert form to a strange spell instead of immediately yell "what, an Angel? It cannot be!"

Therefore, I am updating my vote to: E>F>B>A>C.

Nevill

Arcane
You want to round the agents up and capture them, but we have no idea what to do with them afterwards. How likely would it be that, if we make them an offer we think they wouldn't be able to refuse, the Codex will let them live?

Personally, I'd like to leave their lives and deaths to Hastwell's discretion. He plans to show the Duke the door, and the agents Duke thinks have not been bought off yet may be of use to him, provided he can ensure their loyalty. Doubt he would be able to handle the Snake, though, but that's what we are here for.

There may yet be benefits to leaving them alive, and that's why I do not share your 'they are going down anyway' views.

And yes, the problem with A/B/C is that they cause mass destruction in one way or the other, some of it quite unnatural. Yet again, a question of whether anyone would care enough to investigate this.

This is not in any way an argument against Verdant (personally, I think we are underusing it) or Icestorm or whatever it is, just an attempt to guess what different choices might result in down the line, other than a different fighting scene.

Edit: on the other hand, the Snake might be enough of a power-grubbing bitch to want to serve an angel rather than an influental noble who may soon find himself down on his luck.

Edit2: sure, why not? C>E B.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
Fast enough.

Wide enough.

Long enough.

But not hard enough? :smug:

I think I'll go CB >EB. Not a fan of F since flying implies use of our wings. Whether or not they recognize us they definitely don't know we are an angel yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom