Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Kipeci

Arcane
That's really cool. Is there some research we can put into shooting death rays from Erd's halo and flying around with sword-feathered wings?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Level 1: mimic lower level internal energy
Level 2: mimic same level internal energy
Level 3: mimic higher level internal energy
Level 4: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize lower level internal energy instantly
Level 5: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize same level internal energy instantly
Level 6: ???
Level 7: PROFIT!!!
??? upgrade confirmed for level 6. +M

lightbane

Arcane
I think treave is being truthful, we already have info about different Angels lacking Halos and/or having multiple wings, so it's possible to get upgrades like these. However, that being said Erdrick and company level up quite quickly, even though the former technically has an advanced class. Nevertheless, I assume we won't have that upgrade active until there's at least one timeskip.

Level 1: mimic lower level internal energy
Level 2: mimic same level internal energy
Level 3: mimic higher level internal energy
Level 4: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize lower level internal energy instantly
Level 5: mimic higher level internal energy, memorize same level internal energy instantly
Level 6: ???
Level 7: PROFIT!!!
??? upgrade confirmed for level 6. +M

What's that supposed to mean? I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Nevill

Arcane
What's that supposed to mean? I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
Level 4 of Legend's ultimate skill WQS (Wuxian Qiankun Skill) was the Holy Grail of munchkins in that LP. A martial technique that allows to instantly learn other techniques of lesser fighters. Basically, a lifehack. Why bother mastering any other martial arts if you can learn WQS and become a master at everything?

It was also never achieved (the maximum level we attained was 3), and was kind of meaningless considering that the last boss was a Goddess who could casually cast Timestop. We didn't even use it in our final battle with our sworn brother, though we made use of many of its other properties. :M

Level 7 of WQS was joked about as the LP win button. Everything you want, you can become through WQS abuse.

There was a strong division between those who preferred the classic style of honing various techniques the hard way, and those who wanted to prioritize the ultimate OP skill at the expense of everything else, and use it almost exclusively. The echoes of butthurt from 2 years ago reach even here, when angeling it up with Gigadyne is jockingly lauded as the perfect solution to any problem. :lol:

It was a poorly made joke on my part about something nigh unattainable that a lot of people dream about, but ends up kind of useless/impractical. Probably because numbers 4 and 7 trigger me to this day. :M

Myself, I am more interested in Yuhe Demon Aura Finger shenanigans.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, you would have gotten level 7 if you used Wuxiang Qiankun on Shun's Wuxiang Qiankun.

And Nuwa was a secret boss only accessible via prayer.

lightbane

Arcane
Legend stuff.

I see. Thanks for the answer. I haven't started to read the CYOA yet, but I noticed its thread is enormous, just like the CYOA Press adaptation. The latter seems to ignore any mention of whatever mechanics that were used for the game, but even then I suppose it's quite readable. Still, I'm not really fond of Chinese mythology, but I'll try to check it at some point.

Oddly enough, Spiral still lacks a CYOA Press conversion, even though it's far shorter than both Epic and Legend. Also, just to know: does it have something in common with Junji Ito's works? :M

Jokes aside, upgrades to Erdrick's wings and Halo are a certain possibility, treave already mentioned something like this at some point during the first chapter, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder how much will Mercant's wardrobe change as his angelic features become harder and harder to conceal, for not to mention that if he has so much trouble sleeping with "just" two wings, what will happen once these start to increase in number.

EDIT:
We really need to start fingering people...

Worry not, soon we'll have such opportunity, be it at the incoming meeting/ambush with the governor, or with the adventurer's expedition.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Since the update is taking a while, I'll just throw out this theory:

I think that the carnage pigeons were too violent as a race and so a divine level curse on the entire world was cast in order to prevent them from reproducing.

Also, side theory:

I think divine level magic has something to do with the programming of the universe (similar to how it was in Epic) and that is how it can supersede all other magical power.

Nevill

Arcane
I think that the carnage pigeons were too violent as a race and so a divine level curse on the entire world was cast in order to prevent them from reproducing.
That brings up a question why the Gods didn't do the same to demons they were directly at war with.

It is possible, but I don't think even their divine powers extend that far.

I think divine level magic has something to do with the programming of the universe (similar to how it was in Epic) and that is how it can supersede all other magical power.
Does it? Why then couldn't a divine favor heal Ellen?

Well, there is also a possibility that divinities are fickle assholes not unlike us who wouldn't bother with something troublesome unless offered a big enough reward. :M

The thing we saw Ellen do wasn't mana-based, but I assume (though don't know for certain) that divine magic - as practiced by their priests - still is.

lightbane

Arcane
As expected, my rants were ignored. :negative:

Since the update is taking a while, I'll just throw out this theory:
Knowing Erdrick's luck, that's quite probable. However, it's possible that if they really did that, the Gods unintentionally made Angels worse by preventing them from being fully able to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. The last thing you need to do against a race of bloodthirsty superhuman warriors, known for their brutality and lack of intelligence/patience/mercy is to curse them with permanent sexual frustation. :lol: They can't even get drunk, the poor bastards.

Fucking clerics always being OP. Jokes aside, I don't believe they're that powerful, it probably depends on their personal power and standing with the gods, but that's something we shall see once we cross swords with several of these.

That brings up a question why the Gods didn't do the same to demons they were directly at war with.
Perhaps the so-called Demon God prevented them from doing so? That being said, demons seem to be rare as well.

Does it? Why then couldn't a divine favor heal Ellen? Well, there is also a possibility that divinities are fickle assholes not unlike us who wouldn't bother with something troublesome unless offered a big enough reward.

Perhaps the High Priest realized Ellen's problem and didn't want to mess with it because it was easier to do so. In fact, it's possible the Gods noticed her "aberrant sight" at the last minute of her birth and decided to simply blind her rather than making an effort to heal her. However, I wonder if that's the same case with other "born-blind" people. It is worth an experiment.

Nevill

Arcane
As expected, my rants were ignored.
There weren't any questions that required answers, except the one about Junji Ito - and no, I do not believe there is much common ground.

The last thing you need to do against a race of bloodthirsty superhuman warriors, known for their brutality and lack of intelligence/patience/mercy is to curse them with permanent sexual frustation.
The real reason why they can't procreate is, of course, because their hyperweapon upgrade is only unlockable at lvl 99. Their creators have decided that a biological war machine that is not badass enough to turn everything it meets into EXP does not deserve to have a progeny.

Hence cities reduced to ash and all the stories we hear. The misguided humans have mistaken their species survival drive for bloodlust and pointless cruelty. :M

Perhaps the so-called Demon God prevented them from doing so? That being said, demons seem to be rare as well.
Not rare enough - they seem to have rolled over this world and our former one, and required some dirty tricks to get rid of.

Of course, it could always be that the Gods have deemed them not dangerous enough to warrant a direct intervention, relying on their human proxies instead.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The real reason why they can't procreate is, of course, because their hyperweapon upgrade is only unlockable at lvl 99.

1. Angels may only mate if their partner is above Level 35.

2. Upon mating the partner's level will drop to 1.

3. If they do not mate for a certain period of time they will turn irreversibly gay.

:M

Baltika9

Arcane
If you're voting A for the last option, I hope you'd read my reasoning for it at the bottom.
3B : I think it's best to take Rin along. I know we've been caught up in a big thing about how Rin recently, but leaving aside what treave has said about her behaving in a relatively reasonable fashion since the admitted mistake in kidnapping, she just behaved with flying colors. She kept patience with Arlin's idealistic strategy for a week, and when that provided zero results by all non-Arlin accounts she decided to act to prevent Arlin from falling in with them (a concern most people have voiced in this forum, though not directly from Erd) and to deliver the results that Erd desired. She was well on her way to doing this, killing the men and sparing the women just as she knew we preferred, when by no fault of her own one of those hacking cloak guys showed up and whisked everyone away.

She behaved pretty competently, there's no need to keep her in a punishing exile for forever just because she's messed up in the past, especially when she did well this time. I would still be reluctant to take her to extremely sensitive negotiations, particularly ones where we view any violence as utterly intolerable, but I don't view this meeting for ransom as one of those. If there's no ambush? She provides an intimidating presence, nothing wrong with that. If there is an ambush? The option does say that that makes running away without murdering someone harder, but why do we care about that if we're being attacked? Really, screw anyone who attacks us, if they get cleaved in half with a massive ax then they deserved it. Any lenience given to an attacker on the basis of their cup size or whatever is a precious mercy from Erd totally undeserved on the part of the attacker. If we are ambushed, they aren't unaware of Erd's prowess in fighting and so they're going to bring as much hostility to bear as possible; if that's the case, I know that I'd like Rin at Erd's back.
That does make sense and, to be honest, if the the Guvna brings his magnatite, I don't really care if he lives or dies. Building a working relationship with Rin is good enough. If anything, we can spar with her later to relieve mutual frustrations. Maybe what angels really need is a healthy dose of hatefucking.
That part of the background still holds true. Erdrick was a child prodigy. He was already a graduate by the time the recruiters came knocking.
Yeah, no wonder he's so fucked in the head. Prodigies don't really enjoy mentally stable lives.
3. If they do not mate for a certain period of time they will turn irreversibly gay.
Good thing we have a level 999 dongmeister chained in the basement right now.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Building a working relationship with Rin is good enough.
I have to wonder, though. If during our travels we come upon the data that is of interest to her quest and accidentally destroy it, would she take a 'Fuck you, princess, I do what I want!' for an acceptable answer? :M

The thought that Erd is the only one who - at least once in a while - behaves like an adult scares me sometimes.

Yeah, no wonder he's so fucked in the head. Prodigies don't really enjoy mentally stable lives.
Judging by his childhood interlude, he was perfectly stable until he was conditioned to be a 'proper' hero against his nature and sent to war against his will.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I have to wonder, though. If during our travels we come upon the data that is of interest to her quest and accidentally destroy it, would she take a 'Fuck you, princess, I do what I want!' for an acceptable answer? :M

The thought that Erd is the only one who - at least once in a while - behaves like an adult scares me sometimes.
We want to be in charge, right, and not playing second fiddle to someone else? Then we need to accept certain burdens that come with leadership, management of personnel being one of them.

Baltika9

Arcane
Please, we're the de facto leader of this organization by virtue of being the one who makes things happen. If Rin feels like an outsider, then that's her (not saying we shouldn't fix it, though), but we run the show, at least for now.

Nevill

Arcane
1. Angels may only mate if their partner is above Level 35.

2. Upon mating the partner's level will drop to 1.
3. Upon mating their partner grows a halo and a pair of wings.

This solves the mystery of what happened to Erdrick upon his arrival to this world. :M

TOME

Cuckmaster General
We need to develop DEVOUR SOUL! Steal memory -spell and use it on Barbados. That way we'll get to level 35 in no time.

lightbane

Arcane
Judging by his childhood interlude, he was perfectly stable until he was conditioned to be a 'proper' hero against his nature and sent to war against his will.

Yes and no. IIRC it was mentioned he was responsible for his school to shut down at some point. Chances are that since he was the nerdiest youngest of the academy, he was also the favorite target for all of the bullies, jocks and other psychopaths that are so common in these places. Eventually he snapped and did something that caused permanent damage (I bet he started a fire). Then, after he became a Hero and was forced to engage into a bloody war righteous crusading against the Demon Army, he had that conditioning blessed medallion to ensure he didn't suffer from these pesky breakdowns, PSTD and other traumas which jrpg heroes tend to lack.

That reminds me: Aria is slowly but surely becoming too "kill-happy" for her own good. Rin has an excuse for being a demon, but Ari doesn't. The Successful Overlord's manual points out the fact that excessively bloodthirsty minions are not as cost-efficient as they could be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom