Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Low level telepathy can't reveal everything you know unless they dredge it from you by using leading questions while in physical contact. Emotions can be read easily enough, but not full thoughts. Even then there are ways to overcome it via mental discipline, or self suggestion hypnosis.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

AAA
Our main goal should be bringing Ean back - or at least becoming the new Ean. For that we need information. (Whether we get it from the watcher or from some other source, Aodh will probably be able to get it out of either us or someone else.)

A possibility is that Aodh might actually be an ally in bringing Ean back. Aodh's main objective right now seems to be protecting the prince... After all, he backed off once he found out we didn't intend the prince harm... Maybe we could present ourselves as an ally to him and work with him to defend the prince....

A3 will help us learn psychic powers to defend agaisnt mind reading.

ScubaV

Prophet
Low level telepathy can't reveal everything you know unless they dredge it from you by using leading questions while in physical contact. Emotions can be read easily enough, but not full thoughts. Even then there are ways to overcome it via mental discipline, or self suggestion hypnosis.

Treave, does Dio know or at least have vague ideas about Aodh's telepathic abilities now? Would this suspicion be enhanced by developing telepathy of his own? I'm trying to get a sense for how prepared he will be for future mindreading attempts by Aodh, such as avoiding physical contact or the methods you mentioned.

ScubaV

Prophet
The Prince nods. "Aodh, are you happy now? You could've just fell because of a breeze. Dio is innocent, and a trusted friend. Seriously, I can't believe I let you go ahead with your silly plan to test his loyalty." Runikylos laughed cheerfully. Aodh looks at you, as if attempting to discern something, but then sighs and turns back to Runikylos. "Very well, my Prince. If you think he can be trusted after all this, then I will defer to your decision. Still..."

Something I just remembered. Does Runikylos know Aodh is at least partly immortal? How else does he know about the fall, but is unfazed by Aodh's survival? I'm assuming this test is referring to the confrontation on the parapet, not the Watcher who visited us to plan the assassination.

And wow, Runikylos is either super clever or super naive.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No idea about telepathy, but his Watchers can brief him if you go A/B for the first, or A in the second choice.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, this might be meta and a stretch, but does Runikylos look anything like Marduk's human form?
It wouldn't be inconsistent with his MO of usurping Ean's legend and wanting to possess his body.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Shouldn't we know what he is up to and what he knows?

In the mean time, you had become part of Runikylos's inner circle, one that included his own Watchers.

Or then there is a inner circle inside the inner circle.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
"We were going to bring you to power, Master Ean. You killed two of our men!" Your lips twist into an amused sneer. This was the first time you'd seen a masked man lose control of his voice. As he attempted to rise from his kneeling position, he found that he couldn't. You held him down gently with your mind. For a while he struggled, and you wait until he settles down before you continue the conversation.

This... this sounds like something Palpatine would have done.

:salute:

A - I hate playing blind.
B - PR. PR is gold.
A - here comes Tony! Or Shulgi.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think the problem with xCx is that the madman is too hard to factor into our plans, he's just too unstable to control, or to manipulate into doing our bidding. That makes him a foil to us as much as an ally, which I don't consider very useful. Far better to have the warrior on our side and manipulate him against the others, Aodh might do so otherwise. Now that I consider it I also think that Axx might be a mistake without AAx to counter Aodh. Far better to know the general gist of the plan rather than giving off emotions to Aodh when something occurs involving our Watchers.

Also, Shulgi conspiracy! When the old Emperor dies his heir is killed and replaced by Shulgi on the day of his ascension, that's how our empire has managed to remain so large and successful despite our long absence.

Esquilax

Arcane
I think the problem with xCx is that the madman is too hard to factor into our plans, he's just too unstable to control, or to manipulate into doing our bidding. That makes him a foil to us as much as an ally, which I don't consider very useful. Far better to have the warrior on our side and manipulate him against the others, Aodh might do so otherwise. Now that I consider it I also think that Axx might be a mistake without AAx to counter Aodh. Far better to know the general gist of the plan rather than giving off emotions to Aodh when something occurs involving our Watchers.

Perhaps you're right. However, I could see lots of benefits to using the madman. For example, right now there's a lot of internal turmoil within the Empire. If we secretly aid the madman and help him here and there, that means that the various Watcher factions will be focusing their attention on dealing with him rather than worrying about our manipulations. There's a lot of opportunity for cunning misdirection, I feel.

However, I don't really think that 1A is a bright idea in conjunction with 2B/1A. We would be able to root out the truth via telepathy in due time, and I'd rather not leak anything to Aodh without having done our homework on him first. 1B might be okay because it means that we will at least know enough so as to not foil our own plans, but I think that 1A gives way too much away. The slight amount of information that we might leak with 1B is stuff that Aodh would probably know at this point anyways.

I really think that we ought to strike a balance here - we need to know enough so that we have enough information to base our decisions on, but at the same time, I believe that knowing too much is a liability around Aodh.

BBA/BCA is the right call here, and I think you guys should flop to that. It seems to be the most cohesive plan of the bunch. 1B would allow us to have just enough information for our plans, 2B gives us muscle to shore up our martial weaknesses (as well as deal with any traitors within our own faction after we sacrificed two pawns), and 3A would allow us to learn and discover things around us faster - telepathy is just about the best skill you could have in dealing with the court intrigue.

Edit: Boom, right here. I have a plan in favour of the madman:

In the confusion of the raid, the Watchers had struck quickly and efficiently. As you looked through the list of the dead, you found that the targets had been people who were not the most prominent, but had a crucial role in swaying both public and noble opinion. The ones who died hailed from many factions, including Runikylos's own. If there was a secret war going on, it was probably much larger than you had expected. In the mean time, you had become part of Runikylos's inner circle, one that included his own Watchers.

Now, during this raid, the Imperial Army's Watchers gave advance warning, so there was a mix of Watchers from many various factions who died. Everybody knew it was coming, which is why the secret Watcher war remains at a stalemate. A bunch of people from various factions died, but no ground was gained by anyone.

However, let's say we work with the madman - I believe we could carry out something on the scale of the Night of the Long Knives. So let's say that the madman attacks again, under our "guidance"... except this time, only our people know he's coming. We could use the confusion of a siege to wipe out most of our political enemies in one fell swoop.

That being said, I guess I'm okay with an alliance with the Soldier since it's lower risk. Nevertheless, I do think that a cunning individual like Dio could really make use of the madman, as unpredictable as he is.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Quick note: Picking A1 without A2 is a pretty bad idea imho. Aodh is a major threat and not someone to be ignored or treated lightly. I think the previous update proved that.

Baltika9

Arcane
Of course, there is another way to do this- ACC. In other words, fuck Dio, time to find out what's going on and reassemble Ean.

A1 allows us insight into Imperial intrigue and this faction bullshit.
C2 gets us in contact with the local augur, purveyor of arcane knowledge and No.1 Sekhenun fan.
C3 covers up our weakness in close combat, which will not be compensated by anyone else, provides Dio with a combat form for which he has an instruction manual, in the form of Ean's memories, with telekinesis+cqc and covers us in case we get captured/backed into a corner by Aodh.
Input?

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm almost certain on xBA. The madman will be difficult to control and his benefits are unclear whereas the soldier has clear benefits and will probably be easier to manipulate; it is also a better liaison for the kind of role Dio will play. It's a no brainer unless you're obsessed about Sekhenun. If you are, ffs go read some ME fanfics or something. Close combat skills would be good, but again, it's all about what kind of role Dio is playing. Our end goal is Ean, sure, but we won't ever get there in our own terms if we don't make sure Dio has power. The whole point is to become more knowledgeable and powerful than the other Eans, not to just rush into things and get ourselves screwed over.

Baltika9

Arcane
Tally so far:

Esquilax BCA
Oscar BBA
Tigranes CBA
Bloodshifter BBA
Smashing Axe BBA
Newcomer CCA
Arpad CCA
TOME BBA
Azira ABA
Baltika9 ACC
ScubaV ABA
Lambchop19: triple A ( oh really? :rpgcodex:)
Storyfag ABA
Root BCA

Which brings it to:
1A-5
1B-6
1C-3

2A-1
2B-8
2C-5

3A-13
3B-0
3C-1

Or, collectively:
ABA-3
ACC-1
BBA-4
CBA-1
AAA-1
CCA-2
BCA-2
Let me know if I have anything wrong.

Edit: how could I forget root?

Esquilax

Arcane
You opened the door. Runikylos was within, reading his notes alone. As he looks up and sees you, he begins to ask something, but you don't hear it. The assassins have already drawn their knives. This was a scenario that you had rehearsed in your mind many times over the past five days, and surprisingly you found a memory of the long gone Emperor that was of use.
Runikylos looks at you, his slate-grey eyes unreadable. "What of your father and your betrothed?" he asks quietly. Ah, it seems like Aodh has been telling him stories... or had he been the one behind all this in the first place? Did the Prince have a more cunning mind than you gave him credit for?

It was lucky that you had enough regret - at being jerked around on a string by these masked men - to summon up a remorseful confession.
The Prince nods. "Aodh, are you happy now? You could've just fell because of a breeze. Dio is innocent, and a trusted friend. Seriously, I can't believe I let you go ahead with your silly plan to test his loyalty." Runikylos laughed cheerfully. Aodh looks at you, as if attempting to discern something, but then sighs and turns back to Runikylos. "Very well, my Prince. If you think he can be trusted after all this, then I will defer to your decision. Still..."

Something is off here. I should have mentioned something earlier, but I think it's pretty apparent that Diogenes' arrogance makes him underestimate those around him. I think that the Prince knows that we betrayed him and he was obviously expecting company. The only reason that they aren't killing Dio right now is because they want to get to the root of the conspiracy - they want to find out which Watchers are involved. Fuck, maybe we don't need to be a mind-reader to figure this shit out after all.

Baltika9

Arcane
Since this apparently needs explanation: all the extreme and not-so-extreme theories I'm throwing about isn't, most of the time, shit I concretely believe in. They are there so we can all groupthink on them, you can rip them apart, as needed, and we can, hopefully in time, cut thru the bullshitz and get to the truthz.
Edit: consolidated my posts.
Which is why I chose 3C. Being defenseless in a world of super humans is a bad idea,e specially when you are in their way. And our dear Prince is the chief anti-reassembler I think.
Because he may want to keep his power, even with all those reforms he's planning.

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't know. C is only useful to us if all goes to hell; it's a backup. A is useful to us if we want to win this game. Right now, we will never beat the Prince-Aodh combo if Esquilax' suspicions (which I share) are true. We need weapons for the game we're playing to win, not weapons to have in case we lose, which will guarantee we lose.

I really want to reiterate CBA as the best option, or at worst, BBA. Unlses they're completely stupid, Aodh will touch us at regular intervals (heh); this makes Cxx and xxA an excellent combination to play the game of intrigue both against Aodh/Prince and at large. xBx will help us build our own fame/prestige, connections, etc. in our own right. We are playing a very narrow game and the Empire has a very large court.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
We're not defenseless though Baltika9, we're slightly above human physically and we have telekinesis. We can throw shit away and run at the same time. We're kind of like Edem, only less powerful and more bastard.

Though that begs the question, do you want Dio to win?

I'd rather not sabotage ourselves because we're secretly hoping for another candidate to win. It'll be interesting anyway seeing how Ean and Dio's personalities merge together.

Esquilax

Arcane
Though that begs the question, do you want Dio to win?

Personally, I don't. Fuck Dio, he sucks and is a complete douchebag, but he's the character we're playing as, so I'm staying true to it. Playing a villain was sorta more fun in my head than in reality - I'd much rather have the old Ean back. But, uh, what are we supposed to do - make intentionally shitty choices? With our track record, trying to actively make bad choices will just result in Diogenes becoming the Supreme Overlord of the Universe by the end of the chapter. :lol:

I agree with Tigranes. I'll (finally) flop back to 1C - the less we know about this shit, the better.

treave, speaking of the question you posed: are there any other alternatives between "Dio wins and becomes the new Ean" and "let's purposely fuck up our character by making terrible choices"?

Baltika9

Arcane
We're not defenseless though Baltika9, we're slightly above human physically and we have telekinesis. We can throw shit away and run at the same time. We're kind of like Edem, only less powerful and more bastard.
Right, but we're facing three othe of Ean's shards. Besides, punching somebody into a wall/killing him with a sword is much more mundane and versatile than all of the other powers. Besides, we can really use a fighting instinct/skill in any situation.
And don't compare Dio to Edem. One is am awesome and funny guy with the potential to become an awesome bro. The other is a twat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom