Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ehm. Wasn't Ahura sucked dry of qi when he fought with Wang? Isn't he really dependant on the Flame right now to overpower us?

No, Wang turned all of his qi into chaos-type, all at once and it exploded inside his body, destroying his meridians and causing his fire powers to go out of control, horribly burning him.

And how easily can he change these modes? Was it in the gentler mode when we first came in and he switched it when he went on the attack? Or would Jing honestly have no idea?

A just seems foolhardy to me because we're essentially trying to use the Flame that Ahura had decades of experience with against him. This is his thing, he controls it and it did not kill him when ge was the biggest slut in the room.

Jing wouldn't know. Perhaps on the fly. It did not kill him because the Amesha Spenta were carefully controlling the fire, but now that there's a bigger slut he doesn't really have to worry about that. You don't know how much control he does retain at this point though.

Anabanana

Augur
Ehm. Wasn't Ahura sucked dry of qi when he fought with Wang? Isn't he really dependant on the Flame right now to overpower us?

That would mean that draining Ahura would be doable.

That's questionable. Look at this description of Ahura's qi:

There is a great disturbance of qi somewhere within the building, swirling. Raging. Scorching. It is oppressive and overbearing, and the deeper you make your way into the temple’s innermost chambers, the more adherents and worshippers you see laying splayed out on the floor, rendered unconscious by the overwhelming power burning at the temple’s heart.

At the center of it all is a pillar of flame, pure white in colour, stretching from the ground to the ceiling. It is the cause of the sweltering heat in the chamber, yet you sense that it is not the source of power that you felt.

That thing is Ahura's qi, so powerful it even knocks people within a wide radius unconscious. However:

The overwhelming power that you have felt begins subsiding slowly; what the Amesha Spenta are doing is beginning to take effect.
The Flame seems to have succeeded in restoring his internal energy to a certain extent, but the process is yet incomplete, and you appear to have interrupted it at the worst possible moment.

His qi may be weakened because he's at a transitioning point perfectly between order and chaos. Thing is though, the amount of qi should remain the same, regardless of whether it's orderly or chaotic? So it seems like we're still dealing with a massive reserve of qi here.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
You're not bending the Flame to your will, but absorbing it. It won't be a Flame anymore after you're done slutting it up. Switch that around too, because the primary aim is to drain Ahura rather than the Flame, so if he's dead you can stop.

That he's switching it into DESTROY ALL SLUTS mode. When the Amesha Spenta were controlling it, it was in REMOVE IMPURITIES FROM PREMISES mode, which is a little less forceful, noted by the fact that you're still alive after a while even though it hurts like a bitch. But if you don't do anything immediately, be it A or B, you're dead.

If that is so then when we go all balance on him (A) he can still switch back to less lethal right? Or are we in control then?

Tribute

Arbiter
Just out of curiosity, how are the Amesha Spenta reacting to this crazy asshole having jumped into the fire and started attacking their Fire God?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
His qi may be weakened because he's at a transitioning point perfectly between order and chaos. Thing is though, the amount of qi should remain the same, regardless of whether it's orderly or chaotic? So it seems like we're still dealing with a massive reserve of qi here.

The qi is weakened in the sense that it is coming under control, settling down, and not running about knocking people out, but your presence pretty much fucked things up because SLUT factor. The amount of qi he has now is even greater than what he had during the battle against Wang, the Taoist didn't drain anything, only converted.

If that is so then when we go all balance on him (A) he can still switch back to less lethal right? Or are we in control then?

Even if he does, it would still hurt him and not do anything to you, at least in these two modes. You don't know how to directly control the fire but you might be able to guide it. Maybe.

Just out of curiosity, how are the Amesha Spenta reacting to this crazy asshole having jumped into the fire and started attacking their Fire God?

Well, from what Jing can see they seem rather desperate and angry.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I think I'll vote A due to Ganymede? If that doesn't pan out, let's go for Dog Doctor and pressure points.

Tribute

Arbiter
Well, from what Jing can see they seem rather desperate and angry.
Well now I really want to go for the enlightenment/apotheosis option.

I am also worried that B will render Jing incurably insane, considering he's using his most dangerous, forbidden technique on a completely unprecedented scale.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A for Ganymede!

We have been part of chaos for so long, but eventually balance must be sough for all roads lead to Tao.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well now I really want to go for the enlightenment/apotheosis option.

I am also worried that B will render Jing incurably insane, considering he's using his most dangerous, forbidden technique on a completely unprecedented scale.
Except treave already covered that when he said that our unique qi lets us absorb much more qi without going insane like Yang Xue.
B is right up our alley if Jing can muster the willpower to keep going at it, and he is resolved to follow it through.

Really guys, this is a choice of what works vs what doesn't, let's not get carried away with rationalizations of "BECAUSE WANG! and "BECAUSE ZHANG!"
There are times and places for that, but this isn't it.

Tribute

Arbiter
B does seem way more Jing in the ABSOLUTE WILLPOWER, FUCK ALL Y'ALL, I'M THE DISCIPLE OF ZHANG JUE sense.

Anabanana

Augur
Drain good parts of flaming f. qi so he will hit 100 % impurities.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - absorb the orderly parts of Ahura's qi so that both of us are totally corrupted. Then again, he has control of the flames, so he should still be able to direct them to destroy us, even though we're at equal chaos.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

That's actually a very good idea, but you don't have that much fine control over your absorption.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - absorb the orderly parts of Ahura's qi so that both of us are totally corrupted. Then again, he has control of the flames, so he should still be able to direct them to destroy us, even though we're at equal chaos.

Hm, you'd both start burning and then you can hope for the Amesha Spenta to bail you out, since they're the only ones who can control the fire now. Right now they're still a bit stunned from the explosion and haven't recovered yet though.

Tribute

Arbiter
Can we try it anyway? Learning new stuff under duress is half of what Jing does.

Baltika9

Arcane
Perhaps. But I'm just thinking from the standpoint that B is much more likely to succeed.

Instead of trying to trick the Flame that Ahura has spent decades with and is controlling even now, going for the option that lets us work with the shit we actually are practiced and are accustomed to to drain Ahura to death and just endure the pain lile we did when Lord Zhang broke our meridians, well, that just seems more likely.

Anabanana

Augur
Well, we're not actually trying to trick the flame, we're trying to manipulate our own qi and create order out of chaos so that the flame won't attack us anymore.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, we're not actually trying to trick the flame, we're trying to manipulate our own qi and create order out of chaos so that the flame won't attack us anymore.
That's only half of it. The other half is banking on turning it against it's wielder and hoping that it works and Ahura won't be able to control it.

Which he is doing just fine right now, actually.

Jester

Arbiter

yeah, but if guy is able to control it because of 50 % of positive chi control would be lost. If he would try to him total purge there would be risk of him incinerating himself.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Can we try it anyway? Learning new stuff under duress is half of what Jing does.
Unless, you know, he dies :troll:
Both options are appealing and both could work or fail spectacularly.
Both are this 'what doesnt kill you makes you stronger' options.
A if it works balances Jing's qi and makes him stronger through the ability to control it.
B if it works makes Jing absorb our foes qi and boosts us to godlike level.

I don't actually care if you guys pick the wrong choice, all that happens is I wrap up. :lol:
Well, personally I still think that was a really big hint you gave. Anyway, I'll be blissfully ignoring the whole discuss from now on and maybe the LP will still be in progress in progress tomorrow.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

yeah, but if guy is able to control it because of 50 % of positive chi control would be lost. If he would try to him total purge there would be risk of him incinerating himself.

It is already in total purge mode though. All it does if he can't control it anymore is lock it on total purge mode until both you and Ahura are vaped, unless the Amesha Spenta help out in time.

Baltika9

Arcane
We have been part of chaos for so long, but eventually balance must be sough for all roads lead to Tao.
Actually, it's the other way around. Everything must return to Chaos. :lol:
But seriously dude, Ahura and the Ameshas can regulate the Flame perfectly. We can't. So banking on it working out so easily isn't the best of idess, I think.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Are the Amesha Spenta going to help Jing? He's the cause of all this mess, given that he completely screwed up their ritual and turned the Fire Lord into some sort of dark god of chaos and evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom