Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
And that can't be denied. Everyone expects Tigerbro (that's his new name) to be an impulsive, rash and ballsy fucker. Of all the things, they won't expect stealth and cunning, unless Princebro tells on us.
It's not without it's merits, I just think that A is a much better fit for us, not to mention mainland China, especially the courts, will have a very hard time finding someone to counter the style, since none of them are that closely connected to the nomads.

I am, however, willing to whore out my vote in exchange for votes for spears at the first opportunity.

Baltika9

Arcane
Treave, can we go get piss-drunk with the nomads? I'm pretty sure that will give us an even bigger popularity boost.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And that can't be denied. Everyone expects Tigerbro (that's his new name) to be an impulsive, rash and ballsy fucker. Of all the things, they won't expect stealth and cunning, unless Princebro tells on us.
It's not without it's merits, I just think that A is a much better fit for us, not to mention mainland China, especially the courts, will have a very hard time finding someone to counter the style, since none of them are that closely connected to the nomads.

I am, however, willing to whore out my vote in exchange for votes for spears at the first opportunity.
I don't know if we need to worry about techniques or the court just yet, and I guess there are chances that the court will try and keep us as far away as possible in the future, if we persist in pissing them off. In that scenario, it might that we're stuck in less civilized spots where a trick or two in stealthing would be even more useful. Surely we'll find more useful whack-em-up techniques later.

Also, bugger spears.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Getting really drunk is probably a bad idea. With your terrible luck, you might just wake up next to someone you hate.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol:
That would just be wrong, man. I'm pretty sure we could claim that he tried to steal our heart and sic the tribe on him.
:troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There're some goats, a couple of horses, three old women weaving and knitting, and a rabble of kids eagerly growing in number. The Duke doesn't seem to be around. He might be off getting drunk somewhere now that the mission is complete.

Jester

Arbiter
vote B
Agility stat increase can be good in long run. In short run A is countered by people with high stamina and if i am correct similar techs should be easy to learn in court. I am wondering if our 5 end let us keep using this skill for long, but it is a great tech for fighting fragile people. B gives us start on light foot and i don't think its tech easy to find on our own. C is good but not sure what we wish to go for and bow tech with penalty to accuracy don't sound to good mby if we would stick to making archer. This bow tech could negate movement drawback and if we can combine techs and sound useful and rare for archer.

Edit. And we can get 6 lv in bow maximally for now and getting beyond cap is hard.
Edit. Oh i forgotten did only i expected that jump to be marriage proposal?
:troll:

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
darn your cowardly sneaking

I want to be the best unarmed fighter of all time. Of all time!

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
This is not stronger punching, it is faster punching. We need some sort of pugilistic technique to call our own first, then we can get nonsense sneaking when another opportunity pops up.

Rather than avoid thugs, we should cave their faces in for glory and practice. Having a single combat technique is a good start. If we spend a wuxia CYOA with our martial-focused character hiding in the bushes, I will not forgive the Codex. :(

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There will likely be better techniques. No tiger should demean himself by striking like a wolf.

Kipeci

Arcane
We need a technique ASAP. Also, while it may be that a tiger does not hit like a wolf, what tiger hides like a wolf or practices archery like one? We need at least one solid martial arts technique to go with in a fight before we load up on extracurriculars.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Can't really argue about the tiger-wolf thing, but given this is but the prologue, we could defer martial training for just a bit. As of now, it does seem like Tigerbro's innate capacity will tide us over. Just a bit. But, eh, let the votes go where they will. Oh man, this is something to think about.

Esquilax

Arcane
A. Langya Fist. (狼牙拳 Wolf’s Fang Fist). A wolf pack harries and coordinates their movements to bring down their prey. This unarmed technique focuses on continuous, rapid moves to wear down an opponent’s guard.

I'm sorry, the prospect of playing Iron Jing Tyson, a terrifying knockout artist with unmatched handspeed, focused aggression, devastating power and fantastic movement is just way too fucking cool. Fuck the comparison to Ean (I suppose the Ashina tribe are the Gutians of this setting, then, if we're going to stretch comparisons that far), I just think that this martial arts style is perfect for our character, who relies on speed and power. I'm all for LARPing Tyson here... inside and outside of the ring. He wasn't a particularly lucky man in a lot of ways either.

A

Kipeci

Arcane
we could defer martial training for just a bit. As of now, it does seem like Tigerbro's innate capacity will tide us over.

I feel the need to point out that despite our 'innate capacity' we were just beaten in a fight by a fourteen year old girl.

Esquilax

Arcane
Anyway, I don't know how much is B going to help us in palace intrigues. The description specifically states "in the wilderness". But it still looks like an interesting choice, so B it is for me (plus I don't know why a stealth technique that works in wilderness wouldn't work in say gardens or even on the streets). Unarmed fighting is not something I'm a fan of (I can't help but feel that having a weapon, any weapon is an advantage) and bows... well it sounds good, but I'm not sure how much use we are going to have from it.

I'm not so sure about that, considering that this is a wuxia setting and not real life. I'd reckon that a fantastic unarmed fighter could be aware of pressure points, might have better versatility (i.e. fists and feet vs. using just the weapon) and could potentially stomp a weapon wielder in a fight quite handily. An unarmed fighter might also be able to strike much more rapidly than someone wielding a weapon, which would fit with the style taught in A pretty much perfectly. Given the nature of the setting, I'd say unarmed fighting is extremely useful.

I feel the need to point out that despite our 'innate capacity' we were just beaten in a fight by a fourteen year old girl.

Haha, again, I think it's important to point out that this isn't supposed to be realistic. I just think that this fighting style is awesome given that it plays to our character's strengths pretty much perfectly, so we ought to take advantage of it. A lightning-fast knockout artist is just exciting as well.

Truthfully, Yunzi is probably roughly around the same skill level as us - that is, not very skilled. We're still just kids at the moment.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I think extra sneaky gitness gives us a additional edge and also takes us away from the Ean stereotype. We can later combine unarmed and sneak for extra lethality (IE sneak into our enemies' domain without weapons and punch everyone). We really need a ace in the hole and being a sneaky git seems way better than stronger punching or bows.

There's another part of the setting that you're not considering:

“Oh, let me guess,” says the khan with a grin. “You dislike the idea of having competed falsely, in a rigged match? Even if you lost, you wanted to lose in a meaningful competition?”

You nod.

Notice on the character sheet there's a scale that dictates our character's "orthodoxy". treave, orthodoxy indicates our character's adherence to a martial code of honour (i.e. if we're some sort of monk practitioner, this means only fighting with our fists at all times), right? An unorthodox type is willing to break the rules, not fight fair, that sort of thing, correct? This character strikes me as the prideful type who takes on a challenge for the glory of it and to test his skills. He doesn't have to be like Ean if we want to make him a direct warrior, he could be more of the power-and-glory type... like his predecessor Gilgamesh. Or like Marduk. I dunno, there's a lot we could do and the fighting style in A is just so fucking badass that I can't justify throwing it away for sneakfaggotry.

Esquilax

Arcane
I still think we need sneakgitness to open up more options.

I won't feel too bad about it if B wins, because in fairness it is useful, it gives a lot of options, and qinggong is always a good thing for our character, but I just think the unarmed style we have the opportunity to learn here is very cool. I like both of them, honestly.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
[quote="Esquilax, post: 2847608, member: 12663"
“Oh, let me guess,” says the khan with a grin. “You dislike the idea of having competed falsely, in a rigged match? Even if you lost, you wanted to lose in a meaningful competition?”

You nod.

Notice on the character sheet there's a scale that dictates our character's "orthodoxy". treave, orthodoxy indicates our character's adherence to a martial code of honour (i.e. if we're some sort of monk practitioner, this means only fighting with our fists at all times), right? An unorthodox type is willing to break the rules, not fight fair, that sort of thing, correct? This character strikes me as the prideful type who takes on a challenge for the glory of it and to test his skills. He doesn't have to be like Ean if we want to make him a direct warrior, he could be more of the power-and-glory type... like his predecessor Gilgamesh. Or like Marduk. I dunno, there's a lot we could do and the fighting style in A is just so fucking badass that I can't justify throwing it away for sneakfaggotry.[/quote]
Woah woah woah, :eek:
If that's how it is, I'm flipping to A.
Otherwise B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom