Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Low-end graphics vs. ASCII

Low-end graphics vs. ASCII

• ASCII

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low-end graphics

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Yeesh

Magister
I just think you can do so much with tilesets, and since there seem to be more and more being developed all the time, I can't understand sticking to ASCII. If only because I don't want to have to use the Look command on everything to know what it is whenever I start playing a new game.

30cy44m.png

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
One more low-end graphics whore.

Just a small off-topic: what shall be the initial language version of the project, German?

Phelot

Arcane
copx said:
and guess what, I got a professional graphic artist who was working for Bungie (the people who made Halo) at that time.

Could you by any chance give his name? Or at least when he joined Bungie?

EDIT: Oh yeah... I like the low end art best. This may sound stupid, but I hate trying to figure out what the fuck each character is supposed to mean. One of the reasons I can't get into Dwarf Fortress.

I don't mind it in roguelikes that aren't over whelming like Angband, but when the whole screen is filled up with random shit, my head assplodes.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Those screenshots are biased. Of course I would choose low-end graphics with a dark background over horrible ASCII where the background is lightgreen!

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
phelot said:
copx said:
and guess what, I got a professional graphic artist who was working for Bungie (the people who made Halo) at that time.

Could you by any chance give his name? Or at least when he joined Bungie?

Nope, that happened years ago and I don't remember his name. I quickly abandoned the graphics idea so the whole collaboration lasted about 2 days or so.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The poll result is pretty clear: low-end graphics win.

Thanks for participating!

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Fixed the color scheme of the skull. It was only a test screenshot but that just looked too horrible. Art style consistency FTW!

Yeesh

Magister
phelot said:
EDIT: Oh yeah... I like the low end art best. This may sound stupid, but I hate trying to figure out what the fuck each character is supposed to mean. One of the reasons I can't get into Dwarf Fortress.

I don't mind it in roguelikes that aren't over whelming like Angband, but when the whole screen is filled up with random shit, my head assplodes.

It only sounds stupid when one takes into account that all you have to do is go right here and download one file, then make one change to one .ini, and the game looks like this:

2z73cq9.png

mondblut

Arcane
copx said:
Unfortunately, I wouldn't get away it. I am not some modder, but a free software person. I want to use that whole infrastructure for project hosting and distribution just like I did in the past and those guys REALLY care about license issues.

Well, if it's so important for you to comply with those GNU or whatever shackles, this part is still relevant: "pick some popular standart icon resolution, and... let future modders do that for you".

Stick to 24px stickmen, keep unit graphics in easily replaceable form (unpacked and in some generic format), and without doubt some anonymous man of good will shall eventually produce a completely unofficial tileset. Linux cultists do not yet ban games on the grounds of their moddability and some third party using something copyrighted in their mods, do they? ;)

Edit: I liked the knight and the altar better in the first version.

Achilles

Arcane
I you can make your game work with the tilesets Yeesh posted, I think you should go with ASCII. Tilesets look much better.

Johannes

Arcane
I'm fine with ascii, though there's a lot of quality differences between implementations of it imo. ADOM dungeons have a crispier look than Nethack for example (when a walls/floors have a consistent look, instead of changing between rooms and corridors like in Nethack for one), and DF looks too messy with all these non-typable symbols. Then further along the line someone can do a tileset, or use an existing one - I'd think sometihng made for Nethack/DF/etc would be available at least. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the graphics side at first as much.

Also it's really nice to have the [l]ook option regardless of graphics, I think.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
ASCII has the advantage of different things being inherently recognizable as the image they are (The 'D' is always a 'D' so once you know it's a dragon it's an instant recognition.) And unless the graphics are pretty good, there's always going to be shit like the anvil/altar thing where you need to use the look command anyways. Especially if many different things are involved. It's pretty hard to make tiles for 12 different adult dragons that look signficantly different enough you won't need to use the look command.

Looking at the nethack tileset shown here for example, the difference between the kitten and the cat is very tiny, and although the dwarves are fine for short humanoids section, I wouldn't recognize the hobbit and gnome icons as such with knowing they were supposed to be short humanoids. They could just as easily be elves or thieves or leprachauns. (On second thought, that's probably what the last one in that row is; I'd have mistaken him for a gnome and gotten my pockets picked.)

That said, it's best to leave the door open for tilebased mods of really high quality. Dwarf Fortress is pretty gimped there, since it shares a lot of characters between text and icons, any really nice tileset also makes chunks of text illegible from time to time.

PandaBreeder

Educated
Goddammit graphics whores, popamole, FFS, :x , etc.

Anyways, I'm voting in favor of low-end graphics. They're much more practical as you can know what something is with a glance.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
PandaBreeder said:
Goddammit graphics whores, popamole, FFS, :x , etc.

Anyways, I'm voting in favor of low-end graphics. They're much more practical as you can know what something is with a glance.

Really? What do you figure the 4 objects in the pic are then? My guesses would be, in read order; Knight/swordsman, anvil, fairy/fey thing, mage/priest/rogue?

Edit: Also, how many tiles between the brown guy and the knight guy? I'd guess 5, but can't be certain.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree with DamnedRegistrations. Low-end graphics can be deceiving. ASCII is not -- and it's not so hard to learn the symbols, to boot, really -- so it's the least problematic option for roguelikes, I think.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Crooked Bee said:
I agree with DamnedRegistrations. Low-end graphics can be deceiving. ASCII is not -- and it's not so hard to learn the symbols, to boot, really -- so it's the least problematic option for roguelikes, I think.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Crooked Bee said:

..but I am not working on a roguelike, just to make that clear. I have decided to use graphics, so as far as I am concerned this thread is complete.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think that post was about ascii vs tilesets in roguelikes. Ascii is great for games that have a shitload of monster types like roguelikes.

laclongquan

Arcane
ASCII is for faggot!

A game should have at least lower end graphic. Sure, that put more work on your non-existent budget, but if you dont care enough to do that, I doubt I can get interest to play your game.

Dwarf Fortress is a favourite here but I dont even consider give it a try. I dont ask much, mind you, but ASCII is right the fuck out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom