Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lost Eidolons: Veil of the Witch roguelite spinoff announced, coming to Early Access in 2024

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Lost Eidolons: Veil of the Witch; Ocean Drive Studio

What kind of game is "Veil of the Witch"?

Veil of the Witch is a turn-based tactical RPG with rogue-lite elements. It takes place in the same world as Lost Eidolons, and is set shortly after the events of the first game. But it's an entirely standalone experience you don't need any prior knowledge to play.

Fans of the first game will find Veil of the Witch to be a tighter, more focused game, that offers more of what they love with less friction in between.

New players will find a rich world and characters, a fast and gritty combat system, and an addictive, looping structure that sets the game apart from the rest of the genre.

I'm confident the game will speak for itself.

What's changed since Lost Eidolons?

In one word: speed.

Lost Eidolons was a linear, story-driven RPG that unfolds gradually. Veil of the Witch, on the other hand, is fast, gameplay-driven, and hits the ground running immediately. One of the most immediate changes is that we've done away with sprawling class trees that take 30 hours to get to the cool stuff.

In Veil of the Witch, things are much more stripped-down. Each character has a single class, with fixed weapons and armor, and a very specific playstyle. There's still progression and choices to be made (skills to unlock, gear to be upgraded, and so on) but generally it's all a lot tighter and more focused now.

We've also made a number of changes to the combat system itself, and the game's overall structure is radically different from Lost Eidolons. I'll save the details for another day, but for now I'll simply say that I'm a huge fan of games like Hades and Slay the Spire, and they've had a huge influence on Veil of the Witch.

The result of all this is a leaner, meaner game with more excitement, greater strategic depth, and the freedom to approach battles how you decide.

But this doesn't mean the story experience isn't important to us. Like much of the rest of the game, our approach to narrative this time around is: "Less is more". We've got a great setting, a tight cast of characters people will love, and a new approach to story presentation that (while sparse) we're hoping will be a lot more effective.

Oh, and we've taken the art direction for characters and UI in a completely new direction. I personally love how this game looks, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it soon.​

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm surprised the developer is still in business, considering their first game received 1,013 reviews on Steam as a proxy for units sold, compared to, for example, 4,553 for King Arthur: Knight's Tale also from 2022, 15,613 for Solasta from 2021, 7,485 for Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children from 2020, or 5,206 for the recently-released Jagged Alliance 3. :M

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I'm surprised the developer is still in business, considering their first game received 1,013 reviews on Steam as a proxy for units sold
Interesting point, that's something I'm also always curious about - whether any given game has been a financial success. Obviously without knowing the development cost, it's an idle question, but still, I wanna at least try to calculate how much the game made from Steam.
Its average price according to SteamDB was $17.42. We don't have sales figures, but back when SteamSpy was free, I remember the ratio of Steam reviews to sales was something like 4%. I.e. only 4% of buyers on average leave a review. Going by that, the game sold around 25 000 copies on Steam. Multiplied by the average price = $435 500. Of course that's not counting people who received the game for free (if any), but also not counting Xbox and Playstation sales.
Whether it covered the cost or not, it apparently also allowed them to push out another game in the meantime (Blackout Protocol).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm surprised the developer is still in business, considering their first game received 1,013 reviews on Steam as a proxy for units sold, compared to, for example, 4,553 for King Arthur: Knight's Tale also from 2022, 15,613 for Solasta from 2021, 7,485 for Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children from 2020, or 5,206 for the recently-released Jagged Alliance 3. :M
Is there an alternate games storefront that's popular in Korea? Maybe they've got a home crowd.

Arthandas

Prophet
You can still use steamspy without an account (sure you don't get more indepth data): https://steamspy.com/app/1580520 you just have to manually enter the appid number since the tarded thing won't let you search.
Owners: 200,000 .. 500,000
There's no way in hell it sold 200k+ copies with only 1k Steam reviews and 75% rating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom