Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Lore-focused Project Eternity interview with Chris Avellone at Anon of Holland

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have. He's saying that Bioshock Infinity is better than Unreal, Quake and Doom.

Then he's a fucking moron.

I still have no idea why the word "pretentious" is in that sentence.
IMHO he doesn't know what it really means. Princess-Bride-Inconcievable.jpg and all that.

Indranys

Savant
Man even the places' names are a bit weird. :(
Generic is fine for BG clone, but those names just feel a bit off to me.
I think they're not unique enough (maybe I'm biased because in my place the majority of cities or places has a rather unique or alien names which were taken from their respective legends, past histories, or taken from the local languages).
Daggerfall and Morrowind places have the coolest names ever IMO, but Oblivion and Skyrim are mediocre.
Wayrest for example, sounds pretty self explanatory indeed, but also cool and elegant yes?

Places in ASoIaF, although the names are mostly generic English things, they are pretty decent in my book.
The Reach, King's Landing, Sunspear, or even Black Company's Salient etc. aren't weird at all and even sound pretty cool,
while The Pearl Coast feels too generic and lazy (look bro, this coast is sparkling/there's a lot of pearls around, let's name it Pearl Coast!).
At least they should name the place in exotic/foreign language IMO.
Names like Lake of Drowned Tombs are trying too hard, not imaginative at all. I could name it Emanezar Vilos, with E-mata means death, so Emazar=Emanezar is tomb, and Vul or Viol means lake in ancient tongue.
That sounds more interesting in my ears than the sterile Lake of Drowned Tombs.

On positive sides, the use of Palatinate is pretty cool.
Eir Glanfath sounds good and also familiar to pronounce.
Those Italian names are nice, but some of them feels too artificial.

But at least the landscape screenshots are pretty, unfortunately the game is RTwP.
I can't get into infinity games combat, though I did beat BG2 and Torment, but I didn't enjoy the combat.
Darklands has the best implementation of RTwP because the combat is slow (too slow even), so the combat isn't chaotic and no need to pause spamming.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"for example, when we showcased Sagani, it might have been unusual to see a bow-using dwarf from an Inuit-inspired culture,"

That's not original at all. Innuit inspired dwarves already exist in D&D, you fuknutz.

P.S. FO3 is shit, shit, shit. It's sequel FO:New Vegas is hella of a lot better despite using the same fubar engine,. FFS

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Off-topic time:

I agree with most of the things he likes. Those are things that are all done well. I just find it rather telling that everything Avellone focuses on is about the "experience" of playing, the visual or audio presentation of something, and "neat moments" he remembered. The things you'd expect someone who is a writer and creative director for a living to talk about, specifically writing, story, plot, dialogue, quest design, whatever, were left completely unmentioned. Very conspicuous.

Septaryeth

Augur
I mainly love cRPG´s like Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 & 2 (yes, i ALSO love NV), BG1 & 2 and the Eschalon Series. But sometimes i wanna play a Action Game. Where is the Problem? And dont tell me that Unreal, Quake or Doom are more pretentious or the better Games (only because they are old? Comon!). Yes, Bioshock Infinite is a nice Shooter with a great Story. And now rip me apart.

The story isn't really that great.
Pitting two extremes/stupid factions against each other doesn't present a valid argument for a reflective story.
And the sarcasm is done so over the top it feels tiring and superficial after few hours; at least Bioshock 1 is slightly more subtle in its approach.
In conclusion, it's more of a "meh" experience for me, kind of like an unfunny episode from the later seasons of Family Guy.
Pretentious would probably be the right word to describe it.

selkin

Liturgist
I think Eir Glanfath sounds lame too. It's like they are trying way too hard to create words that sound ancient and elvish.

selkin

Liturgist
I haven't try Bioshock Infininte but if it hasn't got at least the same frame/seconds as RAGE then it probably fails to live up to "good FP.shooters". Unless of course the story and game system are as interesting as in Deus Ex.
But they aren't as good are they, so Ramireza: think it through. What you are saying is simply not right :)

selkin

Liturgist
being celtic wont make it less lame.
ok maybe a little.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I mainly love cRPG´s like Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 & 2 (yes, i ALSO love NV), BG1 & 2 and the Eschalon Series. But sometimes i wanna play a Action Game. Where is the Problem? And dont tell me that Unreal, Quake or Doom are more pretentious or the better Games (only because they are old? Comon!). Yes, Bioshock Infinite is a nice Shooter with a great Story. And now rip me apart.

The story isn't really that great.
Pitting two extremes/stupid factions against each other doesn't present a valid argument for a reflective story.
And the sarcasm is done so over the top it feels tiring and superficial after few hours; at least Bioshock 1 is slightly more subtle in its approach.
In conclusion, it's more of a "meh" experience for me, kind of like an unfunny episode from the later seasons of Family Guy.
Pretentious would probably be the right word to describe it.
but...but.. everyone gave it 90something % and up, or 9/10 or something!
HOW CAN THAT BE THEN UH?

Septaryeth

Augur
but...but.. everyone gave it 90something % and up, or 9/10 or something!
HOW CAN THAT BE THEN UH?

Maybe it does have a good plot, when you compare it with the other things coming out recently.

:troll:

As for a more serious response.
I expect something more when people use the word "great", and the story in BS:I is simply not so.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Goddamnit; pick a different avatar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom