Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Let's ask ourselves: what's more important gameplay-wise - perspective or the way combat and exploration are realised? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I guess people are mistaking blobber with dungeon crawler.
From a purist's standpoint LoX isn't a dungeon crawler either since it has quite a bit of overworld exploration.

Exploration, since that is what Shagnak coined the term for. You MOVE as a blob. Not fight as a blob. That is why RoA is included and not this game.

Are you claiming that every single RPG Maker game, Dragon Quest, FF, etc, are all blobbers?

V_K

Arcane
Who cares about who coined the term and for what? Its usage has clearly changed since, primarily to designate a certain type of combat.
I wouldn't call LoX a 100% blobber, but it's clearly much closer in gameplay to Wizardries and M&Ms than to isometric RPGs like Ultima or Fallout. There's just very little point in bringing up these nuances all the time, easier to simply say that it's a blobber - and everyone except purists will get what you mean.
RoA, on the other hand, has the option to split party, all the way up to controlling all characters separately even outside of combat. It's much further from being a blobber than LoX.
Are you claiming that every single RPG Maker game, Dragon Quest, FF, etc, are all blobbers?
JRPGs are a subgenre of their own, that's why you rarely see them referred to as blobbers. On the other hand, terns "blobber combat" and "JRPG combat" have been used interchangeably, sometimes even merged into "blobber/JRPG combat".

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Who cares about who coined the term and for what? Its usage has clearly changed since, primarily to designate a certain type of combat.
I wouldn't call LoX a 100% blobber, but it's clearly much closer in gameplay to Wizardries and M&Ms than to isometric RPGs like Ultima or Fallout. There's just very little point in bringing up these nuances all the time, easier to simply say that it's a blobber - and everyone except purists will get what you mean.
RoA, on the other hand, has the option to split party, all the way up to controlling all characters separately even outside of combat. It's much further from being a blobber than LoX.
JRPGs are a subgenre of their own, that's why you rarely see them referred to as blobbers. On the other hand, terns "blobber combat" and "JRPG combat" have been used interchangeably, sometimes even merged into "blobber/JRPG combat".

With who? This is ridiculous. Blobbers are party based rpg games where the whole party moves as a blob in first person. Period. This is what a blobber started out as and still is. Your explanation is ridiculous and makes no sense. If jrpgs are blobbers why not use blobber to mean what it means?

People used plenty of words incorrectly long enough to change the definition for the worse. In order to make an inference I used to have to base it off an implication. Now infer and imply mean the same exact thing. Why? People are fucking retarded. Why not leave infer alone and have it retain its unique use that meant something?

Your definition of blobber is jrpg. Jrpg already exists. Blobber has a unique meaning in that a whole party moves around in first person as a blob. If people want to change this to jrpg combat because of mental retardation I can rally against it and get the other sane and people of normal intelligence to hopefully join in. This forum already changes the definition of dungeon crawler to any game with some dungeons, effectively rendering the term useless. I don't understand this need for everyone to make every word not have a use and to destroy the correct use of all words.

I aspire to use words correctly. Why do you aspire to make them useless?

Humanophage

Arcane
I'm surprised you managed to write such a big text after listening to so much crap in a row. Your brain must now be a soup of carbon matter, pretty challenging to compose sentences. Kudos
To the contrary, playing for a long time without listening to anything coherent is what numbs the mind. I spent a fair amount of time on Thea: The Awakening a couple of weeks ago, and it was impossible to listen to anything while playing it because the game is more unforgiving of small mistakes and much more dependent on atmosphere created through text events (with a nice British voiceover). The setting there is so lovingly created, compared to Xulima. I know it is intentionally pathetic in LoX, so it is not a complaint, though it does undermine exploration somewhat. At any rate, after all that playing Thea, I felt dazed and couldn't write anything at all, even though I did at one point wish to make a post about the game on the Dex. Not at all the case with LoX.

In the past two days, I listened to 13 hours out of a 17-hour course while playing LoX, and was seldom distracted by the gameplay, excepting a couple of puzzles. My memory of what was said in the course does not feel hazy at all, and I couldn't fall asleep because I was thinking about the content. I was certainly immersed in the course, took a few notes, etc. Meanwhile, I only had a couple of wipes when bumping into unintended fights, so it was all steady progress. I'm playing on Veteran; perhaps it is not hardcore enough, but that is remedied by trying to strike above your level. The only annoying bit was a puzzle with jumping skulls, which had invisible walls where there should not be any.

I tried LoX without an audiobook, and the game becomes tedious due to filler fights without an auto-resolve option and significant loading times.

P.S. If you meant that you are upset about the content of the programmes, I rather disagree with some of the speakers. However, even in the worst cases, it is still is a good way of looking at a part of the US political landscape and the alien mindset of people like George Bush. Meanwhile, someone like Harvey Mansfield is fairly informative on his own. I'd say the speakers were quite diverse and distinct.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
LOX, just like Wasteland1, is a top down blobber, as the only thing those games differentiate from the blobber genre is the top down perspective in exploration.

Do i get a cookie now? Or can you atleast stop asperging for pages and pages over genre definitions?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Why didn't you reply to any of my inquiries? Also, just because I try to use words correctly doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. I just don't try and make those mistakes into the right way of doing things.

LOX, just like Wasteland1, is a top down blobber, as the only thing those games differentiate from the blobber genre is the top down perspective in exploration.

Do i get a cookie now? Or can you atleast stop asperging for pages and pages over genre definitions?

No, you don't get a fucking cookie for being retarded. You are saying jrpgs and all rpg maker games are blobbers. That is retarded. Blobbers are first person party based rpgs where your party moves as one blob in first person. Period.

He won't stop. It's Roqua after all.

You won't stop because you're Roqua after all.

Doktor Best

Arcane
No, you don't get a fucking cookie for being retarded.

Is that what your mom always used to say to you?

You are saying jrpgs and all rpg maker games are blobbers. That is retarded. Blobbers are first person party based rpgs where your party moves as one blob in first person. Period.
l.

No, i said they are top down blobbers. Because they are playing completely similar to an ordinary blobber aside from the perspective in exploration mode.

I mean tell me, oh genre defining gaming guru, when does party position matter at all gameplaywise in an rpg with a battle system that does not actually play out said combat inside the area you explore?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Is that what your mom always used to say to you?

Yes, and it hurt me deeply!!!

No, i said they are top down blobbers. Because they are playing completely similar to an ordinary blobber aside from the perspective in exploration mode.

I mean tell me, oh genre defining gaming guru, when does party position matter at all gameplaywise in an rpg with a battle system that does not actually play out said combat inside the area you explore?

I honestly don't see what is so hard for you fucking idiots to understand - a blobber is a game where your party moves as a blob in first person. This is freshman stuff. It is extremely simple to understand. Yet there is confusion and anger. There is no such thing as a top-down blobber. That is asinine.

Hey, I can make up definitions for words to!!!! I like playing action rpgs like Lords of Xulima, Realms of Arkania trilogy, MM5, Wiz7, ToEE, and FO 1 and 2. Action rpgs are games where my characters take action in combat like attack or cast a spell or drink a potion.

I also like like to play turn-based rpgs like BG 1 and 2, NWN 1 and 2, and Drakensang 1 and 2. Turn based rpgs are games based on a pen & paper system that has turns in the P&P system.

I think this video sums up pretty well what is going on here.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Hey, go get cucked or cry about your job or whatever the fuck and get out of this thread. Some of us like tactical challenges and that doesn't mean trolling you.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hey, go get cucked or cry about your job or whatever the fuck and get out of this thread. Some of us like tactical challenges and that doesn't mean trolling you.

Hey, like something or other. Use words correctly or like something, dude! Blobber is a blobber is a blobber. LoX is okay unmodded, good modded, but isn't a blobber. I put it a little above S&S:(whatever the newest version is called), which was an actual blobber.

This game is a good rpg and one all people who consider themselves fans of rpgs should play, but it isn't a blobber.

Celerity

Who the fuck cares how your party moves around the goddamned map? That's like smokescreening away from actual real concerns like the threat of nuclear war over 3 out of 10k people thinking their gender light switch is set wrong and sperging out over where they can take a piss or if they can go get killed in the wars they wanted. Oh wait...

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
If it feels like a blobber - it's a blobber. Heart knows better.

So now things should be defined based on feelings? It wouldn't feel like a blobber if you knew what a blobber was.

Who the fuck cares how your party moves around the goddamned map? That's like smokescreening away from actual real concerns like the threat of nuclear war over 3 out of 10k people thinking their gender light switch is set wrong and sperging out over where they can take a piss or if they can go get killed in the wars they wanted. Oh wait...

The term blobber cares how the party moves around the environment. The person who coined the term cared. I have valid questions above on my changing definitions of other subgenres, I don't see you supporting my changes. So you are just like the other guy I quoted and basing thinsg on feelings instead of valid criteria. Your world of feelings determining everything and redefining things is nonsense. I believe in science and definitions, not liberal agendas basing everything on feelings and certain people being offended like you seem to also agree with.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is not a blobber. I don't get all the fuss. If this game is one, then there are dozens of older rpgs that are blobbers, that are in fact not blobbers.

I should know as I can't stand blobbers.

Doktor Best

Arcane

The term blobber cares how the party moves around the environment. The person who coined the term cared. I have valid questions above on my changing definitions of other subgenres, I don't see you supporting my changes. So you are just like the other guy I quoted and basing thinsg on feelings instead of valid criteria. Your world of feelings determining everything and redefining things is nonsense. I believe in science and definitions, not liberal agendas basing everything on feelings and certain people being offended like you seem to also agree with.

I stated valid criteria, its just that youre too much of a fucking autist to be able to aknowledge the blending of subgenres, which has led to the creation of games very similar to a certain style while lacking one aspect of it.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik

So now things should be defined based on feelings? It wouldn't feel like a blobber if you knew what a blobber was.

So, you believe in science and definitions? Ok, provide me the definition of the term from an authoritative source (dictionary, encyclopedia etc). Example:

The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.
Resolution 1 of The 17th Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures

Celerity

...OR I could not give a flying fuck what label is attached and think this entire spergout from you is a boring derailment. I don't give a fuck what blobber means or if this is or is not one, take your TVTropes level of subdivision tism and fuck right off.

Let's talk about the game itself.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
...OR I could not give a flying fuck what label is attached and think this entire spergout from you is a boring derailment. I don't give a fuck what blobber means or if this is or is not one, take your TVTropes level of subdivision tism and fuck right off.

Okay. It sucks.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I stated valid criteria, its just that youre too much of a fucking autist to be able to aknowledge the blending of subgenres, which has led to the creation of games very similar to a certain style while lacking one aspect of it.

You never once stated anything valid. You can blend genres but blobber has a specific meaning, like first person has a specific meaning. You can't have top down first person, you can't have third person first person, and you can't have a blobber that isn't first person and your party moves as a blob. Period.
Who cares if it's a blobber or not?

The term blobber does, and people who like words to be sued correctly. This usually means non-retards.

So, you believe in science and definitions? Ok, provide me the definition of the term from an authoritative source (dictionary, encyclopedia etc). Example:

The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.
Resolution 1 of The 17th Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures

Authoritative source? Kind of like the person who invented the term? How much more authority can there be than that? Shagnack invented it and he invented it to describe first person party games where the party moves as a blob. Period. You can't disagree with the coiner of the term because they know exactly what they meant. Authority, science, reason, logic, not being stupid - these are all things you young idiots need to respect.

You are a fucking weird as always. How is spending my hard earned money on games because you don't feel like working going? You leftist piece of shit pariah. You guys sure do love your welfare and spending the hard earned money stolen by workers who deserve it more than you. And you spend it on games and being a retard online. That's the kicker. Words have definitions and they should be used correctly. That is the most effective way of communicating. And knowing what things are and mean. Learning, growing, achieving - these things are alien to you so just listen to your betters who support your sloth.

Celerity

On July 28th, 2017, CUCK writes:

"You are a fucking weird as always. How is spending my hard earned money on games because you don't feel like working going? You leftist piece of shit pariah. You guys sure do love your welfare and spending the hard earned money stolen by workers who deserve it more than you. And you spend it on games and being a retard online. That's the kicker. Words have definitions and they should be used correctly. That is the most effective way of communicating. And knowing what things are and mean. Learning, growing, achieving - these things are alien to you so just listen to your betters who support your sloth."

Leftist? LMFAO. You're the leftist cuck. I'm the TrumpBOT remember? No, of course you don't, just like you don't remember filling out surveys and shit so you can sneak in a few bucks for a game because your wife won't let you buy one, meaning:

1: Your wife controls your money, you are a cuck.
2: Your wife provides for you, you're projecting as SJW leftist trash always does.

"Words have definitions and they should be used correctly." indeed.

But hey, keep going full retard online and projecting harder than a movie theater. Right now you are dancing for your betters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom