Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Drowed

Arcane
It's not, of course. I think they put it as a guide of sorts for people who aren't really good at this kind of game. A "legit cheat", kinda.

Drowed

Arcane
None that I know of. I wanted to change the 'order' of my characters on the left side, too, but it seems like I can't. Or at least, I didn't find any way to do it.

roshan

Arcane
Is the talisman of Golot as cheaty as it sounds from the description?

Not really. It takes very long to charge and the most useful reward (a skillpoint for everyone) is only available at 100%, so most of the other bonuses are rendered irrelevant. You can find orbs scattered around the gameworld that give a +20% to the charge but they're usually in less accessible or hidden locations so it gives an incentive to explore hidden nooks, secret areas and even hostile places like Geldra or Pernitia.

The most cheaty feature though is that it gives advance warning regarding when the cursed hounds will strike.

Liking the game so far, though surprisingly it puts a lot of pressure on my GPU, more so than any AAA title i'v played recently, considering how it looks and works its a little odd.

Drowed

Arcane
Yes, the game is strangely heavy, much more than it should be. Does anyone know which engine they're using?

I'm really enjoying the game, even if I have to recognize that it has certain peculiarities. I really like the exploration, but I miss good items hidden around the map. More than 90% of your equipment will always come from vendors, what you find in the scenery only serves as a source of income. I don't like when the opposite happens but there could be a middle ground here - some good hidden items, others you need to purchase. The way the game works, exploration serves only as a source of XP. (And those herbs that increase attributes, of course.)

The plot is funny, almost cartoonish. In a moment you have an "ethical debate" with a character about your/their actions, only for in the next moment, all city residents cheer about you as the best thing since the invention of pizza. There is no feeling of weight in the story at all and, after those first moments, every time some pseudo-ethical exposure appears, I cannot take it seriously anymore. What isn't exactly a defect, you see, it reminds me of the story of old games and it amuses me. It's just funny, it looks as if the game wanted to have a more serious tone but failed miserably in the attempt.

Also, a new name for this game could be "Status Effects: The Game". Seriously. This is the basis of every combat, cause the maximum negative effects on enemies and keep your group with the least of these. In addition, holy shit, the classes are really unbalanced. I am not in favor of the design where "everyone are equally useful in equal proportion to every thing"(TM), but... A little more balance would be nice. I had to restart the game when I realized that my first group was becoming basically unworkable.

In short ... I approve. The game has some small problems, but it has been a long time since I spent so much time playing a game. (I spent 12 hours of my holiday playing nonstop.) If this will really be a trilogy, no doubt about it, I will buy the next games.

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
Bros, in the first town
(Velegarn) there's a quest about searching for a dude that was missing in a rat (and spider) infested cave. I finished the quest, the dude is dead and I retrieved his ring. Now I need to find Azalia of Velegarn. But she's nowere to be found in that town.

Halp!

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
AyP84D.jpg

Can't help but feel that this party will end up shit.

also i hate you cant customise the first dude :x

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Clerics are for pussies.

Also, the writing in this game is absolute and utter garbage. It's good that I don't give a shit or I'd prob be legit bothered :thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That party will be fine (on normal).

You would have a much more "FUN" time with Gaulen(fighter), Pally,Thief,Bard,Mage and Cleric (IMHO). But play what you want to play.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Okay this game is pretty fucking bad. Time to uninstall.

If I wanted to play a railroaded random-encounter-splatting simulator I'd play King's Bounty, and I wouldn't play King's Bounty because King's Bounty is fucking shit exactly for the same reasons as this game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Okay this game is pretty fucking bad. Time to uninstall.

If I wanted to play a railroaded random-encounter-splatting simulator I'd play King's Bounty, and I wouldn't play King's Bounty because King's Bounty is fucking shit exactly for the same reasons as this game.

You could've figured that out from 3 minutes with youtube, but yes, I agree.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"The heat" aka smashing through identical mobs of goblins, which is then replaced by smashing through identical mobs of rats, which finally morphs into smashing through identical mobs of myconids, all the while avoiding very conveniently placed roadblocks of "impossible"-difficulty encounters, in a combat engine that is mind-numbingly boring and taking up tons of time.
And then finally running into an unavoidable plot-related random encounter with a hp-bloated kveldulf that instagibs any non-beefy character each turn with an unavoidable, all-reaching lightning bolt.

Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom