Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which one are you using btw? Do you keep it upgraded? Are you levelling INF?
I’m still using the basic one as I foolishly gave away the one in the Hub area to an NPC. Inferno is about 30 now.
Well you can get the Searing Accusation back, just go in front of the Pieta arena, the NPC should be there.

cruel

Cipher
I will be refunding the game, unfortunately. It feels like a 'category B' product elevated to AAA status by good graphics, to be honest. I have only two major complaints, but both are very important for me when playing a Souls game:
1. Poor combat: floaty, weightless, not satisfying. Feels like a MMO at times.
2. Bad encounter design: lots of trash mobs waiting at you at every corner, rinse and repeat. Not fun, not creative at all, boring.

There are other minor things (bugs, lack of polish, questionable design decisions with Umbral world etc.), but those would be easily ignorable in comparison. The game just screams 'we need more time in development' at every corner IMO. I will potentially revisit 1 year from now when (if) they release a complete edition.

Comparison with Lies of P shouldn't even be mentioned - those games don't even play in the same league with regards to overall quality.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I will be refunding the game, unfortunately. It feels like a 'category B' product elevated to AAA status by good graphics, to be honest. I have only two major complaints, but both are very important for me when playing a Souls game:
1. Poor combat: floaty, weightless, not satisfying. Feels like a MMO at times.
2. Bad encounter design: lots of trash mobs waiting at you at every corner, rinse and repeat. Not fun, not creative at all, boring.

There are other minor things (bugs, lack of polish, questionable design decisions with Umbral world etc.), but those would be easily ignorable in comparison. The game just screams 'we need more time in development' at every corner IMO. I will potentially revisit 1 year from now when (if) they release a complete edition.

Comparison with Lies of P shouldn't even be mentioned - those games don't even play in the same league with regards to overall quality.
You can still buy it back for 34% off right now :smug:

:troll:

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I've played Lies of Poo and I don't think it's a whole lot better than this, tbh. It veers heavily into the opposite direction from Lards of the Fallen: very linear, stilted combat moves, limited mechanics, boring atmosphere/story/lore.

These games are like two failed attempts at Dark Souls that fell off the opposite sides of the horse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
These games are like two failed attempts at Dark Souls that fell off the opposite sides of the horse.
Maybe but one is

Petrusich-K-Pop-No-1.jpg

petrusich-k-pop-no-1-jpg.43830

And the other:

metallica.jpg

And which one would you rather go to see at a concert?

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Considering the music in LoP is so much better, that's a misplaced meme.

Ravielsk

Magister
I've played Lies of Poo and I don't think it's a whole lot better than this, tbh. It veers heavily into the opposite direction from Lards of the Fallen: very linear, stilted combat moves, limited mechanics, boring atmosphere/story/lore.

I think it just the consequence of the reductionist attitude the normie crowd has towards games in general. The general crowd has effectively reduced the entirety of the souls series into "muh grimdark, much dying" and "muh deep lore"(aka poor as shit story telling). Western devs and publishers unfortunately were not smart enough to realize how reductionist that is and started making clones not based on the souls games but based on the reductionist perception the public developed for them.

As a direct consequence they always have to fail because they are taking what is essentially a caricature of the sub-genre and using it as a template to make a supposedly serious imitation. You cannot build on faulty foundations because no matter how strong or thick you make the walls they will always fail when surface beneath them cannot support them.

LotF is actually a prime example of this. Its game that on paper should make Elden Ring irrelevant. It has more mechanics, its artstyle is like that of a 80s metal album and it runs on technically far more powerful engine. Yet, none of that matters and it has go on 30% a month after launch because the extra mechanics mean literary nothing when the encounter design is entirely about hit and run tactics thanks to the enemy spam and lack of enemy variety, its look immediately comes of as phony when you realize its just a generic fantasy with the plot twist of "actually everyone sucks" and its superior engine is used to render levels barely bigger than DS1.
It has everything to be a success but uses it all in the one exact way that turns it into a failure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

the extra mechanics mean literary nothing when the encounter design is entirely about hit and run tactics thanks to the enemy spam and lack of enemy variety, its look immediately comes of as phony when you realize its just a generic fantasy with the plot twist of "actually everyone sucks" and its superior engine is used to render levels barely bigger than DS1.
JeffJohnLBemem17.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People coming here for a month straight trying to convince others and themselves the game is so tehrible I can't even, absolutely implayable, it's been proven by a collegium of experts you know, so haha, if you liked the game the jokes on you, ha, hahaha.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The general crowd has effectively reduced the entirety of the souls series into "muh grimdark, much dying"
That is true, people with sub-80 IQ actually think it's normal to go through soulsgames while constantly dying to enemies, and they think that this is what makes them hard and that you're supposed to die to random zombies all the time.

Whereas, what actually makes them "hard" is that they demand persistent attention and effort, the very things that the ADHD consoomer generation is incapable of having. Once you learn to naturally maintain that persistent effort, the games stop being "hard" in any meaningful sense, but they do usually remain engaging.

Unless it's Lards of the Swollen, where the 2nd half of the game is literally nauseating with its fifty billion fucking shortcuts that open into identical-looking unnavigable corridors, and the same 5-6 enemy types in every corner.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
People coming here for a month straight trying to convince others and themselves the game is so tehrible I can't even, absolutely implayable, it's been proven by a collegium of experts you know, so haha, if you liked the game the jokes on you, ha, hahaha.
I am coming here for a month because I really wanted to like this (a Dark Souls-like with dual-world mechanics from Soul Reaver? Love it!) game, but ended up hating it once it started heavily copy-pasting areas and enemies.

Ravielsk

Magister
That is true, people with sub-80 IQ actually think it's normal to go through soulsgames while constantly dying to enemies, and they think that this is what makes them hard and that you're supposed to die to random zombies all the time.

Whereas, what actually makes them "hard" is that they demand persistent attention and effort, the very things that the ADHD consoomer generation is incapable of having. Once you learn to naturally maintain that persistent effort, the games stop being "hard" in any meaningful sense, but they do usually remain engaging.
If only it were that simple. Its that the public popularized and embraced the Souls = hard = dying a lot. Even fairly sensible people parroted this particular line of reasoning because in 2011 after basically half a decade of games with effectively no fail state Dark Souls was such a massive shock to the system that most of its attributes were completely blown out of proportion.

Problem is nobody(at least in the development/publishing space) since then was able realize that that perception was a product of its time and not a accurate description of the core ideas behind Dark Souls. And at this point nobody probably wants to because they all target the lowest common denominator so accepting the idea that they should not listen to the lowest common denominator to a product appealing for the lowest common denominator is to them an absurd kind of moon logic.

cruel

Cipher
I made too many tries on Pieta and crossed my 2h return window. Oh well, it seems I will need to become a fan of the game after all :)

I need to admit though, for a game that gets so much bad rep on bosses being too easy, I wouldn't really call Pieta an easy first boss - took me 9 or 10 tries. I suspect some people might have been stuck on her for a moment, with limited healing etc.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Jinn

Arcane
Why don't you just put off playing it until it looks like it's up to snuff to you then? Also, I feel like if you were still in the 2h window when you posted your grievances, one of the two major criticisms you have - encounter design - is being more influenced by outside sources than your own opinion. The encounters leading up to Pieta are all interesting enough with a decent amount of variety and challenge beyond loads of enemies being thrown at you.

abija

Prophet
I need to admit though, for a game that gets so much bad rep on bosses being too easy, I wouldn't really call Pieta an easy first boss - took me 9 or 10 tries. I suspect some people might have been stuck on her for a moment, with limited healing etc.
My experience with boss fights so you have a context: Pieta ~ 15 tries, Scourged sister - 4 deaths (almost 1 shot her and then played carelessly), Mistress of Hounds - 1 death, hushed saint - 1 death, progeny - 2 deaths, lightreaper - 3 deaths (the "surprise" attacks and almost killed him in 3rd with no healing). Everything else 1 shot (cleanse all ending). Considering my "performance" in souls game which is more in line with the Pieta fight... I was super disapointed.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Playing Dark Souls 2 reminded me how shitty the ambushes are in this game. No creativity whatsoever, just a hope that you're bored or angry enough to overlook one of the obvious dickheads hiding behind a crate for the thousandth time. Thanky ou for reading my morning musings on lords of the fallen.

cruel

Cipher
Why don't you just put off playing it until it looks like it's up to snuff to you then? Also, I feel like if you were still in the 2h window when you posted your grievances, one of the two major criticisms you have - encounter design - is being more influenced by outside sources than your own opinion. The encounters leading up to Pieta are all interesting enough with a decent amount of variety and challenge beyond loads of enemies being thrown at you.

I will give the game a fair chance. I think our taste in games is quite similar, so if you like it, there is little reason why I shouldn't. I feel it's slowly getting better, for some reason two-handing the weapon makes the combat a little bit better. Kudos for them for making exploration worthwhile - it seems I got a very good sword (Crimson something) by carefully exploring the environment while getting my ass kicked by all the mobs from Umbral. What also helps is that I'm a sucker for dark fantasy aesthetic, so this should help as well.

My experience with boss fights so you have a context: Pieta ~ 15 tries, Scourged sister - 4 deaths (almost 1 shot her and then played carelessly), Mistress of Hounds - 1 death, hushed saint - 1 death, progeny - 2 deaths, lightreaper - 3 deaths (the "surprise" attacks and almost killed him in 3rd with no healing). Everything else 1 shot (cleanse all ending). Considering my "performance" in souls game which is more in line with the Pieta fight... I was super disapointed.

This explains a lot then. Maybe they put enough time to fine-tune Pieta as a fight, but didn't do the same thing for other bosses, who knows.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

This explains a lot then. Maybe they put enough time to fine-tune Pieta as a fight, but didn't do the same thing for other bosses, who knows.
There are a lot of retarded complaints about the game like "muh too many mobs", "muh ambushes", "confusing levels" or "artificial difficulty" - all mostly butthurt cope - but boss difficulty being all over the place is definitely legit.

I needed 13 tries at Pieta - altho that was mostly because I used as my parry training - and about 6 tries at the horseman but I one or two shot everything else, including Lightreaper and the Judge, and I'm barely average at souls. I mean historically FromSoft isn't dramatically better but LotF is probably the worst I've seen in terms of boss diff. Fuck, even journos complained in their revioos bosses are too easy, that should tell you something.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
No one is falling for these retarded ambushes cvv, or at least I hope not. Most people around here seem like they have 2 brain cells to rub together to not be tricked by the exact same thing 1000 times in a row

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No one is falling for these retarded ambushes cvv, or at least I hope not. Most people around here seem like they have 2 brain cells to rub together
Well as long as you're sure...

But to me all that bitching about ambushes and "mob density" and "artificial difficulty" smacks of butthurt cope, like someone was pushed off the ledge by one of the bell staff scrubs at Pilgrim's Perch twice in a row, got plutonium grade buttmad and spent the next week camping the LotF forums and furiously explaining to people the game is not only unfair and stupid but also ugly, with zero art direction, the levels are retarded and the music is dumb and the combat is floaty and it's all just toxic macho crusaders running around depressing environments and developers are crypto nazis and anyway you absolutely must not play this game and play Lies of P which is so much better, in fact even better that Bloodborne.

(All real comments I've come across. Except the crypto nazis part. I think.)

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Ok but you're arguing against redditors or something when you're here on the rpgcodex. It's safe to assume that the posters here have played a medium difficulty game before and can make a judgement call on the quality. Assuming that anyone criticizing this mess is doing so because they fell off a cliff which we've all been doing in Souls games for over a decade is coping on behalf of the game developers. Coping for other men is cuck behavior that I find *very* troubling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom