Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for an RPG to play

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Azrael the cat said:
OT: I like the Reaper concept for the Jap version of Wizardry. Sounds like a neat homage to Trebor's ghost in Wiz4. Is it as bastardish as the ghost was? Not so much in terms of the insta-death if it catches you, I quite like the idea of it hounding you, so you try pathetically to escape it, rather than the instadeath. But the ghost had the advantage of moving in real-time while you operated in turn-based mode, meaning that it was a constant unseen threat that forced you to think about time-efficiency as a strategic element in both combat and exploration.

I didn't play wiz 4, so i cannot comment on that. He is faster than you and can also pass through walls. All the movement is made at the same time (ie when you move every creature moves with you) but the reaper can move 2 tiles instead of one, if I can recall correctly.
It's not something that will make you sweat too much once you know what happens when he catches you but if you are going too deep and take that "extra risk cause i feel lucky today" then you can have your painstakingly trained high level bishop turn into black matter trying to resurrect him...which makes you go

:rage:

(real story)

stalin said:
the reaper doesn't kill you it possesses one of your party members which means you can see things which were hidden before like reaper doors(2) with secret loot. Also if everyone in your party gets possessed you get new AAs. (falcon punch moves for your party). However, if he does die, the character will either turn to ash or worse, be gone forever i.e. erased clear out of the game, so that's generally a bad thing.

I didn't know about different AAs when all the party members are possessed. I always thought there would be a game over of some sort if that happened.

Qwertilot

Novice
The modern choice if combat is the main thing might the recent kings bounty stuff. Arguable if it counts as a classical RPG and certainly not 'classically' squad based but the combat is both very tactical and solid(being almost the whole game it has to be!), impossible is probably relatively possible to lose at and there's hardly masses of competition!

1eyedking

Erudite
Replay both Fallout games.

People in this crappy forum are forgetting what good RPGs actually are.

Captain Shrek

Play Alpha Protocol.

>inb4 massive shitstorm

Fine. I'm trolling.

I would suggest KOTOR2 if you like that sort of thing. The combat is shit. The characters are great. The story is a Serious incline.

Waterd103

Novice
I will ring some alarms, but I never played fallout. The post apocalyptic theme always turned me off, since the two "themes" i hate more are WWII and Post-Apocalyptic themes.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Waterd103 said:
I will ring some alarms, but I never played fallout. The post apocalyptic theme always turned me off, since the two "themes" i hate more are WWII and Post-Apocalyptic themes.

You are a very strange person. I'd kill for a good WWII RPG. :/

laclongquan

Arcane
Star War: Knights of the Old Republic 1. I dont recommend Kotor2 because that clunky machine of mine is not compatible with it, so I dont play it yet.

Kotor1 is like Ramen. It's quite good for what it is. It's easy so you can play half-asleep. It's halfway decent looking so graphic whores can content themselves.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well, just to present a different choice... If you own a Nintendo DS you should try Infinite Space if you don't mind stretching the normative conception of an RPG "party." You basically round up various personalities/crewmembers to helm your ships, and then you outfit your ships (which you buy) to your own tastes, then go fight battles that can be more intense than you might think. Get your ass kicked a lot, just as well, if you are into that kind of thing. Basically a JRPG where you Min/Max spaceships with Japanese-written personalities in a Japanese-written space saga. It's better than I thought it would be as I usually hate Japanese style (aesthetic, gameplay) RPGs.

Waterd103

Novice
I dont mind stretching it, In fact im on the "Xcom" is an RPG line of thinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom