Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a strategy game with some specific features

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Lately I feel like most of the strategy games I play are missing something. With that in mind, I wanted to list some elements that I think would make for a fun game, just to see if anyone could suggest a game that either has all of these elements, or at least comes close.

1. Semi-realism. I've been playing Company of Heroes a lot lately and it's fun, but certain aspects have been making it seem a little too arcadey to meet this criterion (e.g., spontaneous reinforcement from halftracks, sniper camouflage, medkits, etc.). It just seems that things like that tend to remove the illusion of threat or risk in combat. I know that these are just games, but some do a better job of creating the illusion of realism than others, while still remaining fun.

2. Control of individual units. Abstraction of numbers is fine, but I'd like units to be no larger than squad strength.

3. Take and hold campaigns. Similar to JA2 or the Close Combat games. I like being able to use both strategy and tactics in a game. This seems like a tough one to find combined in good games. I would have loved to see this in CoH or the Combat Mission games.

4. Unit persistance over time. Again, similar to the Close Combat games. It's nice to see individual soldiers get better/get medals/get promoted over time.

I don't really care about the setting. It can be historical or fictional, pre-gunpowder, post-gunpowder, sci-fi, whatever. I also don't care that much about the graphics, but a functional interface would be good. I also don't care about the mechanics either. Turn-based, real-time, or phase-based are fine as long as it has the aforementioned elements. Anyone got any suggestions?

Ion Flux

Savant
entertainer said:
Soldiers, Men of War. Though these might be too hard for you if you find coh fun.

No, I actually played the demos for both of these games and I liked them a lot. Do they have campaigns that involve taking and holding territory? Regardless, I think I'm going to get them anyway, because the demos were pretty enjoyable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
There's an old game where you take command of a platoon of paratroopers on the eve of the D-Day landings. 101 Airborne http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=5032 The only thing it misses out on from your list is the long term progression as the 'campaign' is literally a single mission which takes all eternity to complete.

Steel Panthers fulfills all the criteria which you give and is traditional turn-based tactical war game.

I'll throw in Silent Storm too, as it's an odd mix of genres and styles which might appeal.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Shogun Total War could fit your bill.

There is one game in the works by the makers of Steel Fury, it's called Kharkov 43. Sounds interesting, but since it's Russkie, it probably won't convince.

Sure, if anyone finds other new games like Close Combat (esp. CC2 Market Garden), I want to know too!

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Ion Flux said:
entertainer said:
Soldiers, Men of War. Though these might be too hard for you if you find coh fun.

No, I actually played the demos for both of these games and I liked them a lot. Do they have campaigns that involve taking and holding territory? Regardless, I think I'm going to get them anyway, because the demos were pretty enjoyable. Thanks for the suggestion.

I highly recommend Men of War. Good mission variety...although the there's really no "flag/territory" holding mechanic like in COH. MOW is more hold the line until reinforcements arrive or clear the hill of enemy forces.

mondblut

Arcane
Combat Mission games are realistic, squad-level and unit-persistant. No take and hold, though, just a sequence of missions.

And, well, 7.62: High Calibre fits all the requirements :)

Ion Flux

Savant
GlobalExplorer said:
Shogun Total War could fit your bill.

There is one game in the works by the makers of Steel Fury, it's called Kharkov 43. Sounds interesting, but since it's Russkie, it probably won't convince.

Sure, if anyone finds other new games like Close Combat (esp. CC2 Market Garden), I want to know too!

I've never played any of the Total War games, so I'll probably check those out too. There was a new CC game released not that long ago (Modern Tactics). Anyone played it?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Steel Panthers do not have the strategic level, though there are campaigns where major victory in current scenario A leads you to scenario B and minor victory leads you to scenario C - but there's no strategic map for you look. Otherwise they are exactly what you are looking, core force which you can upgrade (and in some SP versions even expand) along the way.

Plus you will never, EVER run out of scenarios and/or campaigns to play.

Panthera

Scholar
I think the original Combat Mission games are a great suggestion. Some of the finest computer wargaming to be had, right there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom