Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

somerandomdude

Learned
So I got this equipment on a back row Bishop:

Shinobi Shuriken
Prime Armor
Knight Shield
Valiant Helmet
Strength Gauntlets
Anti-Evil Cloak

Back row is tankier than the front row, except for total HP, and that's how you mitigate the threat of getting ambushed and your back row shredded, is to use the class orbs/class change items to fit them with some beefier armor before switching them back to bishop/priest/sorc. And why not give your bishop the ability to OHKO with a shuriken like a ninja during a restrict/assist shot AA?

By the time I got to dimension world, I had like 1.3 million gold, which is more than you really need for class orbing characters to learn spells, or equip better gear. So, put some of your best protective equipment on the characters with lower HP (especially those good shields you find) after your front row gets enough HP padding to comfortably takes some hits.

Shinobi Shuriken = Dropped from High Master (Ninja)
Prime Armor = Dropped from Swordsmen, and Maelificant
Knight Shield = Dropped from High Priestess
Valiant Helmet = Dropped from Maelificant
Strength Gauntlets = Dropped from Maelificant
Anti-Evil Cloak = Dropped from Vampire Lord
Muramasa (has 100 attack and x2 hits, best weapon in the game)= Dropped from Maelificant

Also, the attack buff Sorc spells appear to stack when multiple people use it (Daiba/Yaiba, etc), and that's how you drop those Maelificants is have the 3 back row stack attack buffs, so the front row can destroy those. Do the same for bosses. Bu'Shin was left with hemorrhaging rectal fissures courtesy of Mr. Muramasa with stacked attack buffs.

It's tough to say what a recommended level for beating this game might be, but when I got to Dimension World, I had some characters level 18-20, and that felt a bit under leveled. One mishap, or getting slightly unlucky and those characters get deleted, easily. I think level 25 would be my recommendation. You got a bit more HP padding at 25, and you likely farmed up some better equipment for your characters as well. 18-20 might work if you tread carefully. I had the luxury of one of my characters being a level 37 Samurai with a Muramasa, a full level 18-20 party would have been really dicey, but maybe not impossible, I'm sure the game has been beaten at that level or possibly lower.

Last edited:

Arkhestarmatis

Barely Literate
Is there a translation for wizardy academy titles I haven't played any of their titles but just seeing the anime vibe and bit of .hack designs which pretty much piqued my interest

Ysaye

Arbiter
Can anybody recommend which version of Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga should i play?
A lot of people swear by the SNES version, which is easy enough to access and play if you are willing to use emulation. The interface is a lot cleaner than the originals than most of the other versions (the MacIntosh had a great interface for it's time) and it was formally translated to engl/rish. If you believe that "errors" like the stat decreases should be erased, then there are patches for that version as well.

The Sega Saturn / Playstation versions are probably the prettiest from what I can tell from screenshots, but I am still trying to get my hands on a copy of them to try out and see how they play.

If you want that retro wireframe feeling coupled with easy accessibility, the original Wandroid 1-3 for google phones is a cheap, fairly faithful reproduction. I note that TaKa has also just recently made a remake in June which eschews the wireframes for solid walls and a few extra better graphics which move away from that original feel.

There is comparison of many of the options here, although it mostly focuses on the aesthetics.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry-llylgamyn-trilogy-version-comparison/

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
If you want that retro wireframe feeling coupled with easy accessibility, the original Wandroid 1-3 for google phones is a cheap, fairly faithful reproduction.
I found the first Wandroid enjoyable. Haven't gotten around to any more yet

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I remember the days when aweigh played elminage gothic and met belial and star gazer hehe.
Decided to replay the game lately. Had a fight in a dark zone and some monster exploded and luckily killed all his friend, phew.
what a great game, wish there was another entry in the serie.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wizardry: Five Ordeals is now in English

Update 2022/8/25

Updates from previous betas:
New
- Official scenarios are now officially available in English.

With the development of the editor this is shaping to be the definitive classic Wizardry title (excluding Elminage).

All the people in general RPG forum who claim themselves Wizardry fans don´t have an excuse to not support this. This is the old-school prestigious incline I read so much about in front of your eyes and it´s coming from Japan, because the West is rotten to its core.

So stop buying cucked eurojank and popamole trannie-pedo shit from USA and support this.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Now if only Fargo would release the construction set for the Trilogy Remaster, MM create a decent set, and ultima get some construction sets going. Then most my old-school bases would be complete.

Quite likely this will be the reason to STEAM up my laptop.

turkishronin

Arcane
Wiz Empire 3 has unlocked new levels of shitposting. After a big fight you get down to the bottom floor to fight the last boss. There you move around the map and find 4 wells placed around the floor. Thinking "well, it's time to heal before the big thing!!" You drink from them and each one give you damage, paralysis, poison and PETRIFY conditions.
If I didn't have the power of emulator SaveState on my side I would've punched the screen :argh:
FbVnXb2X0AEn_lr

FbVnXWdWIAEdWi1

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wiz Empire 3 has unlocked new levels of shitposting. After a big fight you get down to the bottom floor to fight the last boss. There you move around the map and find 4 wells placed around the floor. Thinking "well, it's time to heal before the big thing!!" You drink from them and each one give you damage, paralysis, poison and PETRIFY conditions.
If I didn't have the power of emulator SaveState on my side I would've punched the screen:argh:
:evilcodex:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol. Even Ultima 3 can't top that with their poison and damage fountains. That's the Wizardry Legacy for ya.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
just bought my copy of Wiz: Five Ordeals, and they said they will release The Prisoners Of The Battles and The Absence of Misericordia as dlc. it's an exciting time to be a Wizardry fan.

Cyanide

Novice
"Top 10 biggest trolls in Wizardry's history"

The number 1 should be Wizardry IV's first room

somerandomdude

Learned
If I didn't have the power of emulator SaveState on my side I would've punched the screen :argh:
This is what happens when people get spoiled by free full heals at save points (which are frequent), or recovery springs. I think its funny when the game trolls you like this.

It was in one of the King's Field games, I believe it was 2, but there was this place with tons of hidden passages, and you took several and there was this big freaking gold chest in this room, and it was protected by wall spears all around it, and when you actually worked your way to it to open it, it had a skeleton inside, and no loot. What takes effort to reach isn't always rewarding, same as in life. Games don't tend to do stuff like this anymore, or at least mainstream games.

Last edited:

turkishronin

Arcane
Finished Wizardry Empire 3.
The dungeons have very good designs with a lot of one-way doors/walls, teleporters, traps, dark areas, etc. Combined with limited map usage it was challenging at times. Not to mention that you don't get any teleport spell(as far as I know, finished the game with mage not maxed out) there's a lot of dangerous backtracking.
The negative point is that the bosses of each level felt too easy. The last boss was at least a bit challenging since he was completely immune to all magic damage but even that really boiled down to spamming AC+/AC- spells and just hitting him with physical attack.
My favorite class so far was Summoner. Unlike Eliminage you can't just capture random monsters, there are magic circles in dungeons where you fight specific monsters and capture them which helps with balance. They also have access to two sets of Alchemy and Psi spells.
The monster variety was also very decent. You can never relax as there are packs of monsters that are actually stronger than the floor boss. My worst nightmare was a Flying Snake that could petrify party members with physical attacks alone. It had low hitpoint but showed up in big numbers which forced me to waste my spells.
There's also a post-game dungeons which I haven't checked yet.
Screenshot-20220829-174439.png

FbcczV1X0AEbQA2

FbcczVsX0AIEXKj

FbcczVqWIAE3VSn

FbcczVcXwAAuIpZ

Screenshot-20220829-174311.png

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Finished Wizardry Empire 3.
The dungeons have very good designs with a lot of one-way doors/walls, teleporters, traps, dark areas, etc. Combined with limited map usage it was challenging at times. Not to mention that you don't get any teleport spell(as far as I know, finished the game with mage not maxed out) there's a lot of dangerous backtracking.
The negative point is that the bosses of each level felt too easy. The last boss was at least a bit challenging since he was completely immune to all magic damage but even that really boiled down to spamming AC+/AC- spells and just hitting him with physical attack.
My favorite class so far was Summoner. Unlike Eliminage you can't just capture random monsters, there are magic circles in dungeons where you fight specific monsters and capture them which helps with balance. They also have access to two sets of Alchemy and Psi spells.
The monster variety was also very decent. You can never relax as there are packs of monsters that are actually stronger than the floor boss. My worst nightmare was a Flying Snake that could petrify party members with physical attacks alone. It had low hitpoint but showed up in big numbers which forced me to waste my spells.
There's also a post-game dungeons which I haven't checked yet.
Screenshot-20220829-174439.png

FbcczV1X0AEbQA2

FbcczVsX0AIEXKj

FbcczVqWIAE3VSn

FbcczVcXwAAuIpZ

Screenshot-20220829-174311.png
I liked wizardry empire 3, just felt a bit short, as if the post game wasn't finished/missed something. The psp version added some more stuff but I don't think it added much.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I haven't played Five Ordeals yet but I got it and Infinite Adventures at the same time and chose to play IA first and it is an awesome game in the same genre and I feel like I'll end up enjoying it more than 5 Ordeals once I play it just because the stock Wizardry formula can start to be a bit repetitive (not asking for total renovation but maybe different classes or something lol)

Pyreen

Educated
I haven't played Five Ordeals yet but I got it and Infinite Adventures at the same time and chose to play IA first and it is an awesome game in the same genre and I feel like I'll end up enjoying it more than 5 Ordeals once I play it just because the stock Wizardry formula can start to be a bit repetitive (not asking for total renovation but maybe different classes or something lol)

I can recommend Wizardry Empire 2 Plus in that case - new races with their own special abilities, new classes (barbarians, summoners, etc.), new spell schools and spells, new mechanics like intra party racial harmony modifiers, more in depth itemization where every piece of armor and weaponry modifies both your AC and your THAC0, arguably the best dungeon design out of any Wizardry, and other subtle but essential balancing modifications to the basic formula like being able to convert money into XP, expanded temple services (have your party members teleported out of the dungeon for a fee) etc.etc.
And thanks to Codex members you can play it entirely in English:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-princess-for-pc-translation-completed.96776/

darkSaviour

Novice
Hello, i'm trying to play the PC Engine version of the Wizardry games (the first and second one for now) and i am unable to use the second elevator even with the blue ribbon (says "not working" when you select a floor). Not even going down manually you can access the elevator on level 5 and below. Maybe there's some other logic that is different from other versions. You don't need the gold key for the first elevator but still you want to have it to pass the "bear statue door" on level 4 for example.
I have finished the SNES version and played a bit of the PS1 one... maybe i forget something to do?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
finally finished all 73 events on elminage gothic, just need to lvl up so I can steal items from incarnation and the other boss which souldn't be too bad considering I can redo some fight in this version. Quite a few thing that I like on the 3ds version but I think the biggest draw back is the aging, it's almost completly gone in this version. I thought the psp/pc version was better for this, age actually meant something and having to farm chest for the goddess trap. I'll have to replay the psp version someday to compare a few things.

and after this I'll start wizardry five ordeal :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom