Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I removed RPS from my Bookmarks and stopped visiting a few weeks ago when it got really painful to read some of the crap they spew, John Walker doing it every other day was bad enough, but the new Nathan guy (aside from being seemingly stupid in his arguments and constantly reaching for the pretty Doritos) seems to be driving that passive agressive crap in like every 2nd article he writes. It kinda turned from a place I went to check out new PC games into some sort of Social Justice Tumblr Blog or something over the last year or so...

I'm thinking of doing the same - to be fair, I do agree with some of the points they bring up, but it's not what I'm looking to read about when I go to a gaming site. On that note, where do you get your PC gaming news now?

Dexter

Arcane
I'm thinking of doing the same - to be fair, I do agree with some of the points they bring up, but it's not what I'm looking to read about when I go to a gaming site. On that note, where do you get your PC gaming news now?
That's the problem, I don't so much. :P

I went through a list of Gaming Sites available and most of them seem shit: http://press.pixelprospector.com/
http://www.pcgamer.com/ are worshipping the Dorito King.
I don't know about these guys: http://www.pcgamesn.com/ but they seem to be similarly inclined.
Sites in other languages I could understand like: http://www.pcgames.de/ are full of Advertisements and PopUps and are horribly designed.

http://www.forbes.com/games/ seems alright, although the quality of the stuff written largely depends on the writer (Kain and Tassi seem alright, even though they can at times have a stick up their ass too, they aren't as vocal about it and consider arguments)
And I started visiting http://www.escapistmagazine.com/ back when Yahtzee was a thing and use it every now and then although I don't expect any good writing from them. Other than that I casually browse /v/.

Someone should step in and make a RPGCodex-like site for general PC Games/Gaming and to Debunk all the retardation coming from a large portion of the other sites, they'd be big. That's how "Forbes Gaming" became a thing in the first place. xD

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For just news I like Eurogamer. Simple interface and to-the-point reporting. Not good for reviews or previews though (is anyone?).

Azazel

Arbiter
RPS calling someone out on LGBT bullshit? Are you kidding me? Look at what John Walker aborted today: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/misogyny-sexism-and-why-rps-isnt-shutting-up/ . That shit is almost physically painful to read. And, to show his true colors, the fat fuck disabled the comments. Zere vill be no dissent on groriousu threadu!
Yeah, I removed RPS from my Bookmarks and stopped visiting a few weeks ago when it got really painful to read some of the crap they spew, John Walker doing it every other day was bad enough, but the new Nathan guy (aside from being seemingly stupid in his arguments and constantly reaching for the pretty Doritos) seems to be driving that passive agressive crap in like every 2nd article he writes. It kinda turned from a place I went to check out new PC games into some sort of Social Justice Tumblr Blog or something over the last year or so...

Am I alone in feeling this is RPS's CTRL-ALT-DEL Miscarriage moment? I've become increasingly pissed off with their pandering to developers ever since they claimed Skyrim was better than Morrowind, but this and the Thief preview really have made me reconsidering ever visiting the damn site again.

I mean, they closed the fucking comments even.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Yup no more RPS

Meh most of the time they were talking about stupid indie shit anyway

logicliker

Novice
LOL@ EAs response to their inevitable win in the "Worst Company in America 2013" poll:

In an article titled: "We can do better" by EA COO Peter Moore

Are we really the “Worst Company in America?” I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this.

Some of these complaints are 100 percent legitimate – like all large companies we are not perfect. But others just don’t hold water:

• Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It’s not. People still want to argue about it. We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.
  • Some claim there’s no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
  • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
  • We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really…
  • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The list of prominent gaming "journalism" sites I no longer visit includes very nearly 100% them. Kotaku, RPS, Destructoid, Joystiq, and all the rest of those "our name is edgy and nerd-chic, you're totally rad if you read us" sites can fuck right off. I hardly need name the major review sites. We all know what they are, and they're atrocious.

These sites and the people who staff them are a waste of bandwidth and breathable air. They are completely fucking useless for any purpose other than extracting money from knuckle-dragging manboons and killing off my brain cells—and I can do the latter myself by huffing a can of computer duster. Huffing computer duster would probably be both more pleasant and more informative.

It's no surprise that these failures at life immediately cave to whatever ideology they currently feel a small amount of pressure to adhere to. Feminists love weak-minded twits, although in fairness, this is true of any political bloc needing impressionable idiots to fill out its ranks.

Speaking of: Are there any websites left that cover gaming that aren't pieces of shit? That includes forums, too. RPG Codex, No Mutants Allowed, and perhaps DAC are the only three websites of any kind on the Internet that I know of that don't have decline stuffed so far up their ass you can practically see it peeking from their esophagus when they smile real big.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I went through a list of Gaming Sites available and most of them seem shit: http://press.pixelprospector.com/

Thanks for that list! I'll check those sites out, just in case. I absolutely agree with your idea and general assessment - it seems there'd definitely be a market for a PC Gaming Codex-type site, as all the mainstream ones seem to have either turned to shit or have always been shit.

Blaine, :bro:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Humorusly enough, Forbes seems to do a fairly decent job on reporting video game news. Everytime I read one of their articles (mostly in regards to EA being dumbfucks), they're spot on with their points and seem honest (and not paid off). Can anyone confirm this?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, it's probably due to the fact that videogames only make out a small part of what Forbes covers. They're not dependent on publishers to keep their site up and running, so they don't have to kiss arses and lick boots to stay in business.

Even more ironic is the fact that Erik Kain has managed to rile up very large parts of the gaming press, including Ben Kuchera, Jason Schreier, Stephen Totilo, Jessica Chobot, etc. They hate him so much that they just sit around and wait for him to slip up so they can absolutely dig into him and start mudslinging contests on Twitter.

Well, it's probably due to the fact that videogames only make out a small part of what Forbes covers.
usually magazines with tiny articles about videogames just paste something received by the publisher. writing something requires an effort which nobody wants to do if it's only for a tiny article.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Are we really the “Worst Company in America?” I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this.

Some of these complaints are 100 percent legitimate – like all large companies we are not perfect. But others just don’t hold water:

• Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It’s not. People still want to argue about it. We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.
  • Some claim there’s no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
  • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
  • We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really…
  • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

:butthurt::martini:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Am I alone in feeling this is RPS's CTRL-ALT-DEL Miscarriage moment? I've become increasingly pissed off with their pandering to developers ever since they claimed Skyrim was better than Morrowind, but this and the Thief preview really have made me reconsidering ever visiting the damn site again.

I mean, they closed the fucking comments even.

That's a very good analogy! I guess the CAD thing came as more of a surprise (RPS has been waving the ultra-feminist flag for a while now), but the similarities are absolutely there. The miscarriage comic was when I stopped reading CAD and I'm fairly likely to quit frequenting RPS as well - not because I'm a misogynist (at least I don't think so :P), but if I want to read feminist propaganda, I don't need to go to a gaming site (I can just read Roguey's posts on this very forum).

We're not the only ones who are weirded out, though - the comments are closed, but there are several people voicing their opinions on the RPS forums and most of them don't seem to support the new direction RPS has taken.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You see, Warriors, this is what happens when you mess with the Orphans!
We're gonna rain on you warriors!

But in all seriousness, this is why I don't fucking go to other game sites, even those that aren't professional.
Why? Eventually, they blow.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The crash can't come soon enough, and when the mainstream forgets about gaming maybe games can finally be games again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
People still keep paying for interactive movie games, so you are going to be waiting for a while......

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of: Are there any websites left that cover gaming that aren't pieces of shit? That includes forums, too. RPG Codex, No Mutants Allowed, and perhaps DAC are the only three websites of any kind on the Internet that I know of that don't have decline stuffed so far up their ass you can practically see it peeking from their esophagus when they smile real big.
gatheryourparty.com, made by some smarter people from /v/.

Erik Caine's blog on Forbes

That's all I know of. I actually get about 80% of my gaming information from the codex at this point.

why do you even need to read articles? come on, with 20+ years of experience a title, two words and an official website should be much more than enough to understand what you should expect. at least that's enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom