Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Logistics in strategy games?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Harthwain, explain. How is harassing enemy peons functionally different from hitting an ammo/fuel depot? Before long, the enemy front line will start loosing effectiveness and cohesion.
There are no logistics involved. If you build a sawmill, you can chop wood and it will teleport to your global storage. Now contrast that with a game where items have to physically arrive from point A to point B.
But more often than not, the wood still needs to be physically transported from the forest to the sawmill by the peons. Yes, it gets abstracted after that. But en route? Logistics. Gold from the gold mine? The same.
I agree with you but the OP was clearly interested in the storehouse to front-line supply chain, rather than the raw materials to weapons manufacturing supply chain.

Few People already mentioned Shadow Tactics, but some wargames buy the same designer the 'Decisive Campaigns:' series of games I am pretty sure have Logistics in them, I only have one of the games, but I think they must all have logistics in one way or another..they are not all the same scale, but I think they do...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You could make an argument that deciding to put the sawmill near the forest instead of far away is logistics gameplay, but in that case, it's really, really bad logistics gameplay
I have never claimed otherwise. It is extremely rudimentary, barebones, logistics gameplay. Still, destroying the sawmill and killing the peons making up the logging operation does disrupt the enemy supply chain.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I'm playing Unity of Command 2 right now. It indeed has excellent abstractions for logistics and operations, as is its reputation. Will find out how well the scenarios and AI make use of it as I continue playing.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Licorice you retard, you expect a game about factories to have no factories?

Silva

Arcane
Maybe obvious, but I feel the more to the wargame side of the spectrum the more welcome a detailed logistics system is. OTOH the more to the grand strategy side, the less welcome it is, and a more abstracted form is better.

In other words, supply lines and such are welcome in HoI, Total War, Nobunaga's Ambition, Unit of Command, etc. but not really in Civs, EU4, CK3, Endless Legend/Space, etc.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom