Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Logic Artists successor studio Campfire Cabal shut down by THQ Nordic

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Berbers as depicted in an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh's tomb:
Berber_ancient_Libyan%3B_as_depicted_in_the_tomb_of_Seti_I.jpg

Temple-Pharaon-d-Egypte-Seti-1er-Libyens-Amazigh.jpg

Very white skin color there. Same as the Syrian, and modern Syrians are your regular near eastern tanned people - same with Berbers/Amazighs.

Modern North African countries have the same phenomenon as Europe: sub-saharan African immigrants. That's why photographs of black people in Moroccan garb exist. That does not make them native Moroccans, or ethnic Berbers/Amazighs, or anything of the sort, just like a black guy in Poland can't trace his ancestry back to the old Rzeczpospolita.

I know a traditionalist Amazigh pagan who follows the ancient traditions of his people and is a hardline ethno-nationalist. His people are even more racist towards black people than your average American, lmao.
And from his looks, he's indistinguishable from your average south Italian or Greek.

The ancient world was a very Mediterranean centric world. Your average person in the Roman Empire would have looked like your average Italian, Spaniard, Greek, etc. North Africa was populated mostly by:
- natives like the Amazighs in western NA
- Greek colonists who've been living there for centuries (Cyrenaica had a Greek colony even before the Hellenic era, for example)
- Phoenicians, who were a Semitic people and would look similar to people from the Levant or Arabia (Carthage was originally a Phoenician colony)
- Egyptians, who mostly stayed in Egypt and the Levant and didn't travel west much

None of these groups were black-skinned. Tanned like the Egyptians, yes. Black like sub-saharan Africans, no.

The only black-skinned people known at the time were Nubians/Ethiopians, who come from east Africa, to the south of Egypt.
There was little to no contact with sub-saharan Africans on the western half of the continent. Places like Mali only really came into wider contact with the Arab-Muslim world in the middle ages, and even then they didn't intermingle much beyond trade. There were a few Carthaginian naval expeditions down the west coast of Africa, but no permanent colonies or contacts were established. Only during the age of exploration in the 15th century onwards did Europeans and North Africans have regular contact with west Africa, which up to that point had been terra incognita.

As for the Nubians and Ethiopians, a few individuals of these did travel to the Roman Empire, yes. Some as slaves: we know that during Nero's time as Emperor, Ethiopian slaves were used as gladiators and considered quite the spectacle by the Roman citizens who found such dark-skinned people to be an exotic and unusual sight. Is it possible that, during the height of the Empire, a few Ethiopians/Nubians could have joined the legion and risen up the ranks to become centurions? Yes.

But the game is set during the late republic, the time of Caesar and Pompeius. A time when all men of the Roman army were Romans. From Italy. They didn't even recruit northern barbarians from Gaul and Germany yet, which became a common practice in the Empire, particularly during the late period when the majority of Roman soldiers were of Germanic ethnicity. In fact, during the time that Expeditions: Rome is set in, Egypt hadn't yet become a Roman province, it was still an independent kingdom.

How, then, would a black African - who could only come from Nubia/Ethiopia, which had access to the Mediterranean world only through Egypt, which at that point wasn't yet part of the Roman Empire - join the Roman legion and rise up to the rank of centurion?
For this time period, within the context of this particular game, this is completely fictional and ahistorical.

Female conquistadors are more historical than black sub-saharan African centurions in the late Republic.

If the game was set in the 2nd or 3rd century AD, fine, I could accept one or two soldiers of Ethiopian origin. But late Republic? Complete bullshit, made up, didn't happen, more fictional than female conquistadors for which we have at least one example.
All of this does not change my initial point: Expeditions series was always somewhat economical with historical truth. In the first game it was the female conqistadors running around everywhere. Here is overrepresentation of dark-skinned characters (although I did not have the same experience as Jrpgfan most of my Centurions were quite pale).

Why the butthurt and ragequitting now? Logic Artists have been releasing games since 2013...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not an overrepresentation but a complete misrepresentation.

Female conquistadors are cringe, but there are historical examples.
Female viking shield maidens, same story.
Sub-Saharan Africans in the Roman army? Same story if it were set during the Roman Empire, but this is the Republic where having any other ethnicity than native Latin/south Italic in the legions makes zero sense.

The problem here, in particular, is that it's part of a narrative being pushed by several institutions, deliberately falsifying history to make it appear as if certain ethnicities were always part of European and Mediterranean culture, when this is not true at all.
It's propaganda, it's very blatant, it's being obviously pushed, and that's why people have such vivid negative reactions to it.

This is different from putting female characters where they don't belong, especially when it's in player-controlled roles. Women, despite not usually being in the social positions they inhabit in these games, still come from the same country, the same culture, the same ethnicity. And they serve two obvious fantasies: the fantasy of having hot chicks in your game for men, and the fantasy of being an adventurer for women. But placing black people in Republican Rome makes no sense at all. They are geographically, ethnically, and culturally way too far removed from it. And who is this fantasy supposed to appeal to? Black people who believe they wuz kangz? You may as well include Asian people to appeal to the Japanese and Chinese markets, it would make just as much historic sense!

If someone made a game set in 14th century Mali, the time of famed golden king Mansa Musa, and made half the characters there white without explaining it (while giving them traditional Malian names, with no indication that they're foreigners), it would strike you as odd and ahistorical too, wouldn't it?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Sub-Saharan Africans in the Roman army? Same story if it were set during the Roman Empire, but this is the Republic where having any other ethnicity than native Latin/south Italic in the legions makes zero sense.

The problem here, in particular, is that it's part of a narrative being pushed by several institutions, deliberately falsifying history to make it appear as if certain ethnicities were always part of European and Mediterranean culture, when this is not true at all.
It's propaganda, it's very blatant, it's being obviously pushed, and that's why people have such vivid negative reactions to it.

This is different from putting female characters where they don't belong, especially when it's in player-controlled roles. Women, despite not usually being in the social positions they inhabit in these games, still come from the same country, the same culture, the same ethnicity. And they serve two obvious fantasies: the fantasy of having hot chicks in your game for men, and the fantasy of being an adventurer for women. But placing black people in Republican Rome makes no sense at all. They are geographically, ethnically, and culturally way too far removed from it. And who is this fantasy supposed to appeal to? Black people who believe they wuz kangz? You may as well include Asian people to appeal to the Japanese and Chinese markets, it would make just as much historic sense!

If someone made a game set in 14th century Mali, the time of famed golden king Mansa Musa, and made half the characters there white without explaining it (while giving them traditional Malian names, with no indication that they're foreigners), it would strike you as odd and ahistorical too, wouldn't it?

You can't reason with woke morons. They're like the terminator, except they are there to destroy your culture, history, and intelligence. You'd have a better conversation with a dog since the dog will just listen politely.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yes, would strike me as ahistorical indeed.

Wouldn't make me ragequit though. If a game is decent I will finish it despite such elements because I'm not thin-skinned.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I wouldn't ragequit either but I can understand why someone would.

I haven't played Expeditions: Rome yet because I usually wait years before playing a new game :M

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Yes, would strike me as ahistorical indeed.

Wouldn't make me ragequit though. If a game is decent I will finish it despite such elements because I'm not thin-skinned.
You are black just admit it already.

Zeriel

Arcane
They made the right call, after all, narrative-driven cRPGs don't sell, as Baldur's Gate 3 shows. Oh wait.
BG3 blew up as much as it has because it has AAA production values, good word of mouth and flawlessly executed marketing.
By far the biggest factor is the name recognition.

Pillars 1, D:OS1 and 2 and both Pathfinders sold very well too but not as much as BG3 because they didn't have "Baldur's Gate" in their name. That's why people's interest was up therefore journalist interest was up therefore people's interest was up etc.

Really makes all those Execs look like retards for years for not making a direct BG sequel. Even if it sucked it would have printed money.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Really makes all those Execs look like retards for years for not making a direct BG sequel. Even if it sucked it would have printed money.
D:OS 2 is just as important to BG3's success as Oblivion was for Fallout 3's. Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 didn't exactly send Obsidian into the stratosphere. Those are sequels to Bioware games that were just as popular as BG if not more so. Likewise Cyberpunk getting 10 million sales right out of the gate happened because of Witcher 3, not because a bunch of people really gave a damn about the license.

AndrewCC

Educated
People who say they forced the black face in game are somewhat right, but the people who said that they should have used portraits with ethiopian traits, as more historically accurate, have clearly not played the game.
The reason for both these things:
Every black portrait is, and this is evident at first glance, literally one of the base "white" portraits modified with a "black" nose, and "black" lips.
If anything, it's racist as fuck in how little effort they put into it. It's clearly an exec mandate, that they dedicated like 4 hours of an artist's time to.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Female conquistadores were entirely optional as you hand picked everyone in your party at the start so if you wanted a 100% dude party for historical realism or w/e, you could.
Slightly harder to avoid in expeditions vikings but still doable, so find it a bit disengenious to compare rome to these 2 games in terms of forced diversity.

Either way, already considered logic artists to be dead and buried so can’t say i’m torn up about this but still sad to see an rpg studio that was doing its own thing moderately succesfully just throw it away.

Despite its roughness around the edges, the first expeditions game still my favorite overall. Ost had some good tracks too:

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Conquiscadors was pretty good, the game supported a fully historical playthrough where you tricked and genocided injuns while lining your pockets with more gold than you could carry. Vikings I dropped mid-way both because of female vikings at every turn, and because the writing of the characters struck me as too moderntard. Haven't bothered with Rome as it's obviously going to be even worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(Pssst, Conquistador is pretty similar to its sequels and was received differently on the Codex because the culture wars™ hadn't started yet in 2013 and turn-based games were still pretty rare)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(Pssst, Conquistador is pretty similar to its sequels and was received differently on the Codex because the culture wars™ hadn't started yet in 2013 and turn-based games were still pretty rare)
My point exactly. People on both sides of the conflict got really thin-skinned in recent years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not just talking about the writing either. I think the gameplay experience is pretty similar also. These were all games that forced you to manage a lot of fussy strategy meta-layer elements. Viking had fewer overt strategy elements, but it compensated for that with an overly complicated character system and lots of companions, so that the overall effect was the same.

I don't get the people who go "Man, I fucking hate these legion battles and having to manage a squad of praetorians in addition to my party, so much busy work". You preferred Conquistador's slow-ass map painting and food micromanagement? Sorry, not buying it. You wouldn't have tolerated that today.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm not just talking about the writing either. I think the gameplay experience is pretty similar also. These were all games that forced you to manage a lot of fussy strategy metalayer elements. Viking had less overt strategy elements, but it compensated for that with an overly complicated character system and lots of companions, so that the overall effect was the same.

I don't get the people who go "Man, I fucking hate these legion battles and having to manage a squad of praetorians in addition to my party, so much busy work". You preferred Conquistador's slow-ass map painting and food micromanagement? Sorry, not buying it. You wouldn't have tolerated that today.
I recently started playing Conquistador and found its gameplay similar if a bit more tedious than in Rome. However what made me stop (apart from a historical period and region that does not really interest me so much) was so. much. fucking. bloom. My eyes literally started hurting after an hour or so.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
So waht's the trend here? Closing smaller studios and forming biggers ones since the competition and life cost is higher.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Out of the 3, Conquistador had the best syngergy between different layers. WIth subsequent releases they moved further and further towards RPG, making the strategy aspect redundant, which is precisely why everyone despies that shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Either way, already considered logic artists to be dead and buried so can’t say i’m torn up about this but still sad to see an rpg studio that was doing its own thing moderately succesfully just throw it away.
Yeah we can argue about culture war and game quality all we want, the real reason this studio died is because half the team left to chase the NFT trend, immediately following the release of their newest game, not even awaiting its reception or staying a while to do patches and/or DLC. They just dumped the successful company they've slowly built up across three games and decided to chase the most retarded dead-end trend we've seen in decades.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hey, are you in this picture?

Yes, and there are probably also more black people in this picture than there are female NPCs of note in the entirety of Vikangs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom