Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Live A Live now on PC

lametta

Educated

Demo Out Now!

“The legend is alive! LIVE A LIVE, originally only released for the Super Famicom in Japan, is being revived on Steam! Experience this legendary RPG, brought alive in the same HD-2D visual style as OCTOPATH TRAVELER.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Palomides

Augur
I dislike the translation, which is often wildly different from the Japanese (especially noticeable if you use Japanese voices). It can be pretty off-putting at times.

Kuruwin

Novice
I dislike the translation, which is often wildly different from the Japanese (especially noticeable if you use Japanese voices). It can be pretty off-putting at times.
Oh. I started this on switch, but I wasn't feeling it because the battles were just a tad bit too slow to me to make it feel bit tedious. Maybe I will give the fan translated SNES version a try when I feel like it.

j2alg

Educated
Oh. I started this on switch, but I wasn't feeling it because the battles were just a tad bit too slow to me to make it feel bit tedious. Maybe I will give the fan translated SNES version a try when I feel like it.
The remake brings a lot of changes (for the better in my opinion) and has more content, and the voice acting is great. Though I agree that the English translation (and German translation which is based on it) is too flowery and at times pretentious.
Gameplay is okay - but on the easy side and you don't have a lot of control over customizing your party

Jinn

Arcane
My biggest problem when I played through the original was that, while I liked the self-contained genre stories of each hero, I wish there had been more emphasis and time spent in the final world when you actually have a full party to level-up and customize. That's where the gameplay had its time to really shine in terms of progression, exploration, and combat, but it ends up lasting like a couple hours tops.

Still absolutely worth a playthrough, but the SNES version was enough for me.

v1rus

Arcane
Hm. Am I crazy for thinking theres a decent chance of someone retranslating the new version?

v1rus

Arcane
Hm. Am I crazy for thinking theres a decent chance of someone retranslating the new version?

Yeah, probably not going to happen.

Why tho? The retranslation/unWorking Design/keep the script close to the original crowd is really strong, and it seems like every couple of weeks theres a new relocalization around, from Mega Man to I dont know, Breath of Fire. Seems just natural that a classic and fan favorite like Live a Live would get a retranslation.

Is it that steam version is not mod compatible, or that the retranslation crowd is dominantly retro oriented?

v1rus

Arcane
On the other hand, I'm also absolutely positive someone is going to be crazy enough to tweak all the gameplay changes in Tactics Ogre Reborn back to their previous state, so yeah, I'm quite a fabulously optimistic guy : V

Borelli

Arcane
I love the game but i feel i have already experienced all it could offer, is there a reason to buy this? Compared to rom version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom