Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lineage 2 Impressions

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I once made a promise to myself never to play MMORPGs due to the ridiculous rules that are usually involved with playing an MMORPG. Most of it stems from the very inability to attack other players whether or not they piss you off, without going through a ridiculous quest to turn you into a PVP character (Asheron's Call) or being forced to abide by some overpowering to have the other character 'agree' to fight with you beforehand. Worse yet, some games like FFXI didn't allow PVP at all.

Lineage 2 is a welcome change from the usual rules that restrict a player's freedom in the realm. Players can attack players whenever they choose, but it's a good thing that penalties do exist. When you kill someone who refuses to attack you, or is unable to attack you (e.g. a noob) your name becomes red and anyone attacking you will be able to do so without penalty. Your existence as a red character only lasts for as long as your bad Karma. It is possible to gain Karma by killing many mobs of creatures, or more easily, dying to someone else and losing quite an amount of experience in the process. If one player attacks the other and the other 'consents' by attacking in return then the penalty of turning into a 'red' doesn't exist for the victors of the combat.

This system more or less serves as a deterrent to would-be murderers and makes people think twice before attacking others. However, if you feel secure enough with whatever party you have along in getting back your experience points, and feel that the person annoying you is deserving enough of death, then by all means, you can go ahead and kill him. That's the beauty of the game.

What's nice is that anyone who's killed whether in combat against a creature or another player loses experience (though he loses less in PVP combat). Killing someone who annoys you is a sure way to relieve tension.

Enough about PVP... onto the next post below.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The first and most reasonable question you might ask me is why I like this game. I like this game because it's challenging and because it's fun.

Unlike a number of other MMORPGs (I should say all others), Lineage 2 is a difficult one. Unlike SWG, you can't kill everything with ease by the time you hit level 4. Unlike Everquest and Asheron's Call, there's no such thing as 'chest camping' because treasure quests are much more based on killing a monster that respawns every couple of minutes rather than a couple of hours - so there's no waiting 3 hours in line for some god damn item to spawn in a chest.

Chests exist, but only Rogues and classes similar to them can open them, leaving a lot of opportunity for opportunists who play rogues to make a fortune doing what they do best.

As of now, the Dwarves are the only race which are capable of crafting items, and that makes them valuable in an economy driven by player-based trade. The equipment in the shops are somewhat overpriced so it's cheaper to buy items off of other characters with the built-in trading/private store system. There's even a separate channel for trade discussion though the game's trading system is nowhere as versatile as the built-in 'auction house' of FFXI.

There are no binding stones. No teleporters. No little beacons to resurrect you when you die. Walking might be tedious to some degree, but getting places isn't very hard, because most of the locations are on the roads though you might come across encounters - but the tough, aggressive monsters stay off the roads so there's no worrying about that.

There is no corpse collection. When you die, both you and all of your items get sent back to the closest town if you choose to 'release' your body. If someone has a resurrection scroll or spell handy, he or she can raise you from the dead at that very spot and you can continue doing whatever it is you were doing (but you still suffer the penalty of losing experience on death)

The game requires that a lot of time be put into it, so you can't just pick it up and play and expect to find the best items and parts of the game for quite awhile unless you're willing to put time and effort into the game. Guildwars will probably be a lot better in this regard. It is however very rewarding for players who play a lot. Players like me.

You can't do 'item farming' as in Diablo 2 or other games because the chance for rare items to drop is EXTREMELY rare, some going from 1 in a hundred thousand, to 1 in a million .This makes items extremely valuable and trading a necessity. Some items, like soulshots (a powerup for attacks) cannot be purchased in the major towns, so players packing them in bulk can make a huge profit selling them to other players.

The carrot on the stick system works very well in this game, giving you a new set (or level) of skills every few levels to choose to train from. Each kill gives you skill points which you accumulate to train skills from your local guild. The skill points in the game are infinite in number so there's no possible way to screw up your character. If you do in fact spend points on the wrong skills your only hassle is to simply get more skill points to make up for it.

Speaking of skills, each race is given two choices from the start to pick between: fighter and caster, except for the Dwarf who only gets fighter. As you achieve level 20, you can choose between a variety of classes to pick from. As an example, the human fighter can choose to become a Knight (a team-oriented defensive tank), a Warrior (an offensive fighter) or a Rogue (support role, or even solo due to his ability to hit and run).The weapons and equipment that you use can also be a deciding factor in your play style. A rogue armed with a dagger might be better off playing a support role in a group, backstabbing the monsters and attacking them at blistering fast speeds, running away when necessary. An archer can kill slow mobs or offer fire support to a tank. Either way, everyone has a role they can fit in.

At level 40, you choose between your final two classes that determine your play style. From all of your experience throughout the 1-39 period, you'll have probably decided what you wanted to go with.

Each class change requires a quest. Some harder than others, but none impossible. All in all, these quests are usually oriented to give you exposure to the gaming environment, so you know what you're dealing with and how to deal with it.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A differing view: Its a big ass sandwich

A MMORPG for the console dummy crowd

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Granted the crafting system is nowhere as good or complex as Asheron's Call (which one of that game's defining aspects) nor does it have any good trade skills for non-dwarves at the present, but the combat doesn't annoy me due to its relative simplicity and it looks good. It looks VERY good.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Aside from the fact that NC Soft is Korean, what exactly is Asian about the game? It isn't Asian themed at all. Dragons are pretty much European in style and the only other thing I can think of with the 'Asian' aspect are the elves who would in some ways belong in Anime, but that'd be like saying Disney elves belong in Anime, too. Their eyes aren't big, for starters.

I guess there's the dark elves, with their strange run and their gigantic breasts, but beyond that there's nothing very Asian about it, unless you mean the Asian market prefers PVP over the American market. That's ridiculous, though.

Whipporowill

Erudite
The original Lineage is asian, so it's logical that it's aimed at the asian market - the first being a sucess over there. It looks a little glitzy and girlish too me, which is usually a sign it's not european... hehe.

Limorkil

Liturgist
Thanks for posting some impressions Exitium. The game sounds interesting to me. My view of MMORPGs is that they would be a lot more interesting if they did not have all the forced co-operation rules. I believe that PvP should be allowed, although it should not dominate the game. Running round murdering newbies should have consequences, but smacking some fool who gives you grief should not. In the same way, thieves should be able to steal off players because they know there are consequences if they get caught. The less game rules the MMORPG has, the more likely that there will be player interaction and cooperation, since those things because necessary to survive. Factions will develop, with internal power struggles and faction wars. Its far more interesting to throw a bunch of people together and let them work it all out for themselves than to have rules which attempt to force people to act a certain way.

I have a few questions on Lineage II, if you do not mind:

1. Is grouping forced, in the sense that you can't do a damn thing until you find a group, or is it up to the individuals to choose whether to solo or group?

2. I could easily spend 20 hours a week playing a MMORPG but I rarely get more than 2 hours at one sitting. In some MMORPGs this is a huge problem because it takes such a long time to find a group. In other MMORPGs (e.g. Asheron's Call) this was never a problem. Which category would you place Lineage II in?

3. I can't stand zoning. Does Lineage II have zones or is it more of a free-flowing environment like Asheron's Call?

Thanks!

DrattedTin

Liturgist
1. Is grouping forced, in the sense that you can't do a damn thing until you find a group, or is it up to the individuals to choose whether to solo or group?

2. I could easily spend 20 hours a week playing a MMORPG but I rarely get more than 2 hours at one sitting. In some MMORPGs this is a huge problem because it takes such a long time to find a group. In other MMORPGs (e.g. Asheron's Call) this was never a problem. Which category would you place Lineage II in?

3. I can't stand zoning. Does Lineage II have zones or is it more of a free-flowing environment like Asheron's Call?

Thanks!

If you don't mind, I'll answer your questions in lieu of Exitium. He might have a different take from me on them, anyway.

1. Interestingly, grouping is actually *discouraged* at low levels. Once you get to the high teens and into the early twenties though, it becomes more and more attractive, to avoid the solo grind.

2. As groups are not neccessary early on to fun, no. However, Lineage2 is a game that requires you to put a lot of time into it to really have fun (or get places).

3. Completely free-flowing. It uses the Unreal Warfare engine, but they modified it to be completely zone-less.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Limorkil said:
I have a few questions on Lineage II, if you do not mind:

Thanks!

1. Grouping is not forced, unlike FFXI, Everquest and a number of other games. Survivability and killing potential is quite high even as a solo player, provided you have the skills and equipment to face off against your choice of prey. As a mage, you might not have much luck against a group of orcs, but you'd be at home fighting a strong armored spellcasting golem that no archer or fighter would want to be with alone.

2. Lineage 2 would be in neither of those categories. There is a very wide variety of monsters for you to kill. So far I've done quite well hunting on my own, and finding a group to be with isn't all that difficult either. The shout channel is always full of people "LFG" - Looking for Group, or looking for group mates of a party-oriented sort. If you choose to play a party-oriented character like a healer or knight, you'll find yourself no shortage of parties to hunt with, whereas a rogue might have a little more difficulty finding a party due to his lack of party-oriented healing abilities or tanking ability, not that he'd actually want to - being able to kill off prey on his own much more efficiently than a knight.

3. There are no zones whatsoever (unless you count dungeons) in the open area. It's a free flowing environment like Asheron's Call.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It should be noted that this game touts itself as a "Hardcore" MMORPG rather than a "soft, casual gamer" one. Starwars Galaxies and the dreadful Asheron's Call 2 were "soft" mmorpgs, where playing for 10 hours had no difference with playing for 20. Kliling everything in those games was a breeze after a couple of hours and certainly those games had nothing challenging about them. Everything was strict, and PVP was pointless. Lineage 2 is a welcome change from the 'easy' mmorpgs out these days.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Yeah, though your view may change the first time a spider rapes you up the ass. ;)

Limorkil

Liturgist
Thanks for the info.

I hate the idea of 'soft' MMORPGs. I liked Asherons Call 2 for the graphics but almost everything else about it sucked. I also dislike forced grouping games like EQ (yeah, I know you can solo in EQ but I don't find it fun). I actually prefer to group, I just hate being forced to do so.

I'm still waiting for my serial number in order to start the game. Everything is downloaded and installed, but it's been 24 hours and they have not sent me the serial key needed to create an account.

I spent some time reading about the race and class choices at the official site. I really like how the only decision you have to make early on is fighter or mage because right now all I know is that I want to be a fighter (I always am) but I cannot figure out what type. I like the look of the dark elves, so I'll probably be a dark elf fighter and take it from there. I usually try to be a thief-type because I love sneaking, although I am surprised to hear that they are more of a solo type than a knight since all the play-style advice suggests that rogues are not good solo. Still, the viewpoint of the developers of these sorts of games often ends up being incorrect once people start to play.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Well, rogues have this really wacky ability called Mortal Blow, which is backstab on severe steroids.

dunduks

Liturgist
Well, lineage 2 has a *big* level grind - that's what i dont like about it. Otherwise its an OK game, although it lacks low level content (the sieges, dragon pets, etc are all high lvl stuff) so for a low lvl player its just the lvl/sp grind. The idea of losing items is quite nice, but can be a pain in the ass (i got my shiny new high priced armor and lost it the same day - becouse mob killed me :( ).

P.S. on the side note: their login/server selection is a mess, I really hope they fix it.

Anonymous

DrattedTin said:
Well, rogues have this really wacky ability called Mortal Blow, which is backstab on severe steroids.

I always liked the Critical Strike skill tree in DAoC, with all the neato disabilitating attacks that assassins could use, like Perforate Artery and Achille's Tendon and Garrote and all that, it's fun to watch people do it too. (Achille's, the assassin rolls between the target's legs, slashes at their heel and then rolls back into position, I think (Might of seen a different attack, cool anyways) and then the target has trouble moving and stuff).

Limorkil

Liturgist
First Impressions

Finally got my serial code on Monday. I'm obviously a total noob in Lineage 2 but I wanted to post my first impressions here since I expressed an interest in the game in earlier posts.

I've played a few MMORPGs in my time although none recently. The last one I played was Asheron's Call 2, which was a real turkey that put me off MMORPGs for a while.

The best feature of Lineage II is the graphics, which is not much of a recommendation I know. The character models are particularly good. There is a definite Anime-ish style, although there is nothing cartoon-like about the graphics. The male character models look pretty much normal by non-anime standards. I particularly like the orcs, which look like your standard human, Conan-the-barbarian, big bastards, although done much better than in any other game I've seen. On the other hand, the female character models generally have that schoolgirl-like anime look, with short skirts and knee-high socks, an innocent face and fake looking boobs bursting out of whatever they are wearing. I'm not complaining in any way, but there is something very guilt-inducing about being able to see your girl character's white-panty-clad gusset as she runs. I'm married and I really don't want my wife to see Lineage 2. (And before you say, "Why not play a male character?" I need to point out that playing a male character - to my wife - means being able to hit on the female characters, because she doesn't believe that most female characters are also played by men.)

Before playing the game, after seeing the screenshots, I had already decided that I wanted to be a female dark elf fighter. The dark elf females look like women, not schoolgirls, which is more acceptable even though they are clad like bondage queens. Unfortunately, when I created my character and started playing, I found that I was totally put off the character simply by the run animation. This is the first time I have ever chosen to not play a character because of the character animations. Not that the actual animation is poor quality or anything, it's just the anime run style that the dark elf was given. If you ever saw the episode of Seinfeld with the woman who doesn't move her arms when she walks, well the dark elf women are essentially the same, only running. Being in the dark elf village is like being in some bizarro dark elf Riverdance. If you can't be bothered to play the game to see this, then you can create the same affect if you have a female friend willing to help.

HOW TO RUN LIKE A DARK ELF
You will need help from a female friend, preferably one who is tall and slim. If she has gray skin and white hair, even better. Of course, if YOU are female, or a perv, you can do this yourself.
1. The female needs to wear nothing by skimpy, sexy lingerie, preferably a black leather thong, black stockings and a black leather push-up bra.
2. She needs to stand upright, with her arms held rigidly straight by her sides.
3. Now she needs to lean forward, keeping her arms and upper body aligned, to a point where her upper body is about 30 degrees from the vertical - right about where it is hard to retain balance. Think of it as the start of a very formal bow.
4. Finally, she needs to sprint forward as fast as she can, all the time keeping her upper body and arms absolutely motionless.

Congratulations - you have now seen first hand how a Lineage II Dark Elf runs.

Anyway, I decided that dark elves were not for me. I could not decide what I wanted after that so I ended up with three characters:
- Female human fighter and gusset-flashing extraordinaire
- Female human schoolgirl-fantasy mage
- Female orc mage with pornstar fake tits

One thing I really like about Lineage II is that you do not have any real character choices to make at the start. You simply choose whether to be fighter or mage, and then at level 20 you can specialize. This gives you plenty of time to experiment and decide what style of play you want. It is also very hard to gimp your character because you can eventually learn all the skills available to your class. If you decide you do not like a skill you can just learn another and all you have lost is the time you spent earning skill credits for the old skill. The only problem with this is that eventually all characters of the same race, class and specialization will be the same.

After creating my character(s) I decided to explore a little. The first thing you get upon starting is a really brief tutorial on the main game controls, such as moving around. I have to say that I really hate the default point-and-click to move system, even more so than I did in Neverwinter Nights. It's bearable in a 3d isometric game like NWN or Diablo, but in a 3rd person camera over the shoulder game like Lineage II it is really ugly. I just learned that there is a way to play using WASD, although I have yet to try it.

The other thing you notice with the tutorial is that this is not a game written by native English speakers. The grammar and style is very amateurish and there is no word wrapping, instead the line can break anywhere in a word. Another annoying feature is that the names of items in the game do not correspond to the names given to you in dialogue. For example: you may be given a quest to kill Nyophites to gather fox fangs, yet the creature that drops fox fangs is called a Keltir. I have seen this in other MMORPGs, but in Lineage II it is true to say that almost everything you are given via quest and NPC dialogue is wrong in some way. I also dislike how items have names like Fox_fang5 or Sword2, which is not something you want to see in a beta test 14 days before the official launch.

I temporarily forgot all the above problems when I took my character out of the starter building and began hunting. The scenary is breathtaking and the combat animations are superb, although somewhat limited. One of the main things I look for in any game is atmosphere and the graphics in this game certainly deliver that feeling of being there. (Of course, seeing other characters called things like "DA0Cl33t" somewhat ruins the effect.) I will certainly derive some enjoyment out of the game from exploring during the free beta period, even if nothing else appeals to me.

As Exitium wrote, this is certainly a 'hardcore' MMORPG. You can PvP with anyone at any time, you lose lots of XP when you die, and you can even lose valuable items on death. All this is good, IMO. I am particularly happy to see lots of 'experienced' PvP players from other MMORPGs complaining about the PvP system in Lineage II. They complain because the game does not give any rewards for PvP, but it does impose reasonably big penalties for being killed in PvP and for killing someone in PvP who does not fight back ("murder"). This discourages all but the really hardcore griefers from taking PvP too lightly, which is why people are complaining. The best thing about the PvP system is that it allows you to smack-down people who are pissing you off, or at least try. This makes people somewhat more respectful of each other than in other MMORPGs. The system is far from perfect, but it is already better than the way PvP is handled (or not handled) in other MMORPGs.

Being a 'hardcore' MMORPG also means that the level grind in Lineage is no better than in other games. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I agree with the developers that a player economy will only work if item drops are rare, and that the game will be better if everyone does not have a level 70 character three weeks after launch. On the other hand, games where levelling is slow need to have many and varied things to do so that there is less mindless repetition. Unfortunately, Lineage II provides very little for the player other than mindless levelling. There is a very limited crafting system, but you have to play a certain race to take advantage of it (Dwarf). There are quests, but they are all the extremely over done collect so many of this, deliver that, go kill the other type quests. Eventually there will be massive castle siege PvP events, but that aspect is not available as yet and the servers lag so much when there are more than a few people in one area that no-one has much confidence that this feature will work well.

The other problem with the game system is that there is a severe lack of different weapon and clothing models, I keep hoping that a MMORPG developer will one day realize that players are more interested in being unique than they are in being 'uber' and a MMORPG could go a long way simply by having lots of different colored clothing, armor and different weapon styles without the need to give every different item a unique magical ability. Lineage II has a worse item selection than most MMORPGs I've seen this close to release, and bear in mind I have seen Asheron's Call 2, which was heavily criticized for this problem.

On the plus side, for me at least, Lineage II does allow the player to hunt solo. I hate games where being in a group is forced upon you, simply because I have yet to see a game where it is easy to find a group, get organized and travel to a hunting spot without wasting a huge amount of time - time that I do not have because I can rarely play for more than 2 hours at a stretch. I love to group in the situation where I actually have the time to do so, but a game where you can do nothing without a group really turns me off. On the downside, Lineage II seems to lack any incentive to group since there are no obvious worthwhile rewards other than a minor XP bonus. This is going to change I hear, and unlike with other MMORPGs a statement to that effect from the developers does not worry me because they appear to recognize the benefit of having a game that encourages both grouping and solo play.

Reading through what I have written so far, you might get the impression that I really do not like this game. While it is true to say that I have mixed feelings about Lineage II, and I have not yet decided whether to play the game at retail, it would be wrong to conclude that I dislike it. As I mentioned earlier, I really am a big atmosphere fan, and Lineage II does at least have that aspect covered awfully well, in spite of the dumbass kewl-d00d players. I am very capable of finding things for my character to do, even when the game does not provide spoon-fed content, and this game has lots of potential for player-initiated gameplay such as organizing a clan, clan warfare, PvPing, PKer hunting and random acts of charity. However, I would not go as far as to recommend Lineage II to anyone because most people do not have my tastes. Of course, the game is currently free to download and play, so anyone who is interested should give it a try.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - SUMMARY
As I mentioned at the start, I only just started playing so this summary is based on first impressions only.

Pros-
- Great graphics and animation
- Good atmosphere
- Continuous world (no zoning, even when entering most buildings)
- Good 'feel' to the game when in combat
- Always-on PvP encourages respect among players
- Decent race/class balance
- Well thought-out economic system (probably)
- Grouping is not forced on you
- Develop your class as you play rather than choosing at the start
- Hard to gimp your character
- Camping of spawns not necessary (so I hear, no personal experience)
- Extremely sexy character models (both sexes, although I am guessing about the men)

Cons-
- Lack of content other than level grind
- Poor point-and-click NWN-like control system (although I hear WASD is possible)
- Some weird Anime-like charcter models and animation (not a disadvantage to some)
- Bad English translation and text that wraps mid-word
- Fairly unpolished user-interface (although it's not terrible)
- NPC dialogue often misleading, making quests artificially hard without a guide
- Limited weapon, armor, clothing and character styles
- Unimaginitive quests, usually of the hunt-the-rate-drop type
- Severe lag even with a few people in the same area
- A lot of problems with people running macros and bots (so I hear)

(Note: I know RPGCodex is an odd place to discuss a MMORPG, since there is nothing RPG about them, but there IS a MMORPG forum regardless and I write this for my own benefit because I am bored at work.)

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Severe lag even with a few people in the same area

This depends heavily on your system, and more specifically, your video card. This IS the Unreal Warfare engine.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Tycho from http://www.penny-arcade.com/
previews Lineage 2

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Let me tell you about my first two play sessions in Lineage 2, the sequel to the most populous Massive game in the world. To provide a bit of dark foreshadowing, they were also my last two play sessions of Lineage 2. They were the last two times I will play the game ever.

Session One: After downloading the free client and creating an account, I am killed in a nondescript field by what I think was a baby fox.

Session Two: After creating an Orc character, I spawned into the starter area and saw three spinning heads that circled a geyser of mystical flame. A player all in black rushed at me low, an odd anime caricature, and killed me before I could close the tutorial dialogue. Incredible.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Severe lag even with a few people in the same area

Actually this has to do with the fact that the OPEN BETA uses debug drivers which slow your system the fuck down no matter what you're running. The retail version is actually a lot better with this, making the game absolutely lagless in terms of hardware lag - meaning you won't get bogged down even with 100 people on the screen.

I myself am using drivers from the Korean retail version of the game and I can totally back this up with in-game experience. My clan and I attempted to do a quest the other day, all 75 of us at once - and it did not lag me once even with all of us fighting skeletons and dragons on the screen.

Those people who 'doubt' that the Sieges will work haven't seen the full capabilities of the game's engine nor have they ever played the Retail version (which is out in Korea). In Korea, it took approximately 800 players (!!!) to take over Aden castle - but they managed it. I'm sure there was some lag, but the fact that they managed to pull it off without crashing the servers, themselves or anything, means that the game is a lot different in retail in terms of performance.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The other problem with the game system is that there is a severe lack of different weapon and clothing models, I keep hoping that a MMORPG developer will one day realize that players are more interested in being unique than they are in being 'uber' and a MMORPG could go a long way simply by having lots of different colored clothing, armor and different weapon styles without the need to give every different item a unique magical ability. Lineage II has a worse item selection than most MMORPGs I've seen this close to release, and bear in mind I have seen Asheron's Call 2, which was heavily criticized for this problem.

Well, it's true that the amount of equipment in the game is rather limited but I think I'd much rather see a limited number of items that are very highly detailed than a HUGE number of items that look like crap (Horizons comes to mind). I think that one of the reasons why there aren't too many 'quest items' at the moment, like UBER SWORDS, is because having such items would no doubt ruin the balance in the game. EverQuest and Asheron's Call are particularly guilty for that - having quest items more powerful than anything any player could craft or purchase.

The one thing I like about this game is that equipment over Grade C (Grade None being the worse, and Grade D being second worse) -need- to be crafted by Dwarves, or if lucky, found - but the chances of finding them are 1 in a million.

Grade And Grade S weapons can only be crafted by the best of Dwarven Warsmiths, for example. What this does is promote a whole lot of clan play, and trust. I wouldn't entrust a dwarf with 15 million worth of ingredients if I didn't know him, would I?

Limorkil

Liturgist
Small progress update

I'm still playing the open beta. Just a few new comments.

The game is proving to be quite addictive. I am having a lot of fun levelling. I have not decided whether to buy the game when it is released.

I don't consider the lag to be a big issue. I started on one of the newer servers and I have only experienced slow-down in the center of town when it is really busy. I think that lag was mainly due to my PC setup not being top-notch even though I have all the highest detail settings switched on. I have only experienced extreme lag for no reason a couple of times, lasting about 20 seconds each time. In both cases I was not in a busy area or a high detail area. Not sure what caused the lag spike but it is no big deal. Put it this way - this is the least laggy MMORPG I've played.

The bizarre dark elf run animation looks stupid on the female characters but actually kind of cool on the male models. Playing an assassin-type the crouched run and fighting stance is very fitting.

I suspect that most of the problems with griefers and abusive people will go away with retail. As open beta draws to a close the number of idiots seems to be growing, but it has yet to lapse into anarchy. The game will never be free of such behavior, although I do not see it as anything but a mino r issue.

You lose XP on death, and sometimes items. You do not lose skill points or cash, which means that you can still improve your character even if you are not getting anywhere from a levelling point of view. In fact, because you need a lot of skill points, dying a few times is actually advantageous in some respects, compared to being higher level but lacking skills.

I still have not explored very far, but GOD do I love the scenary in this game. I really like the atmosphere and the fact that no-one roleplays is only a minor distraction (and its true of all MMORPGs). I really like how there is almost no zoning - it's cool running from the underground dark elf city to the huge above-ground dark elf temple without any loading to spoil the effect.

There is a lot of anti-American sentiment in this game and I kind of like that. I am not anti-American in any way - it just makes a nice change to be playing a game where people have to totally different perspective to all my work colleagues, acquaintances and most of my friends. And it's also good to see proof that you do not have to be American to be an ignorant asshole.

This is the first MMORPG I've played where I actually feel like the developers know what they are doing. Race/class balance is pretty good and even though people are whining about imbalances, it's clear that we are talking about relatively minor differences - not bad for a game in beta. And the developers show no sign of actually giving a rats ass about what the vocal minority of players (i.e. whiners) think, which is great because I am sick of games where a few vocal powergamers have influence over the development team. Its actually a lot of fun seeing these spoilt kids stamp their feet and cry about how no-one is listening to them.

I'll post another update when I make a decision about whether to actually buy this game. Not that most of the people at RPGcodex give a shit.

A mmorpg stole three months of my life about two years ago, I don't look at them anymore. I have only just gained back the weight I lost, friends I lost and jobs I lost playing it. I'm happy now, I don't need mmorpgs. *sucks his thumb*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom