Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

agris

Arcane
Patron
RPG Gamers play games because they go on sale. But one day they may realize that just because something's cheap, doesn't make it good value.

With attention spans akin to lightning bolts, they bounce off dozens of two-dollar cRPGs in their backlog, which makes them excited: so much so, that they need to tell everyone about their massive backlogs; how many games they "own" (but none of which they play) on their precious digital distribution platform.

RPG Game Remakes / Remasters by Hack-Devs​

Due to these frivolous consumers and their flippancy, subpar developers make a mint by churning out one cheap knock-off after the other, or by tastelessly remastering the classics to match casual "sensibilities".

On a daily basis, it is RPG Gamers that clamor for remasters of classic games: they want all classic games replaced with grotesque distortions that match their uncultivated, swine-like palates.​

so_good.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The internet is a mass grave of AUTHORITATIVE blogs by frustrated intellectuals. Once your little online circle disperses, you'll be forgotten forever.

And what? Everything will eventually be forgotten, including Youtube, Earth and humanity. Why don't you go write something, hm? Anything?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
RPG Gamers play games because they go on sale. But one day they may realize that just because something's cheap, doesn't make it good value.

With attention spans akin to lightning bolts, they bounce off dozens of two-dollar cRPGs in their backlog, which makes them excited: so much so, that they need to tell everyone about their massive backlogs; how many games they "own" (but none of which they play) on their precious digital distribution platform.

RPG Game Remakes / Remasters by Hack-Devs​

Due to these frivolous consumers and their flippancy, subpar developers make a mint by churning out one cheap knock-off after the other, or by tastelessly remastering the classics to match casual "sensibilities".

On a daily basis, it is RPG Gamers that clamor for remasters of classic games: they want all classic games replaced with grotesque distortions that match their uncultivated, swine-like palates.​

so_good.jpg
A broken clock is right twice a day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Braindead as usual.
What PC games were cloned the most? Doom and Diablo. You want to count Diablo as a pure crpg?
Wizardry and Ultima are are more influential than either of them, but it's immaterial because discussing influence rather than quality is for midwits. Minecraft is hugely influential, but that doesn't make it a good game. And Doom isn't a CRPG anyway, so why bring it up in an ostensibly CRPG-oriented blog?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wizardry and Ultima are are more influential than either of them, but it's immaterial because discussing influence rather than quality is for midwits. Minecraft is hugely influential, but that doesn't make it a good game. And Doom isn't a CRPG anyway, so why bring it up in an ostensibly CRPG-oriented blog?
Influential to Japanese console games, something Lilura has negative interest in. :lol:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Influential to Japanese console games, something Lilura has negative interest in. :lol:
You don't the RPG genre was we know it without Wizardry and Ultima. It's like saying Birth of a Nation and Citizen Kane are less influential than The Matrix.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You don't the RPG genre was we know it without Wizardry and Ultima. It's like saying Birth of a Nation and Citizen Kane are less influential than The Matrix.
There's little to no Wizardry and Ultima influence in the API-era games she likes best. They had a big effect on the 80s and early 90s, not much later.

Beans00

Erudite
Braindead as usual.
What PC games were cloned the most? Doom and Diablo. You want to count Diablo as a pure crpg?

Regardless of my opinion on Wizardry(only played 8), and ultima(never played any of them). Diablo 1 and 2 each individually sold more copies then those entire 8 and 9 game franchises combined.

Maybe ultima, with both UU games(bringing the total to 11) beats out diablo 1. Maybe.

Obviously there were a good amount of blobber and ultima clones in the 80s and early 90s. Maybe the occasional one after that, but they are completely dwarfed by the amount of diablo clones(even if most of them suck). We're still seeing diablo clones today almost 30 years later.

I'm not the biggest fan of diablo(although I wouldn't say I dislike 1 or 2, never played 3 or 4) but saying it isn't the most influential 'rpg' of all time just shows a non understanding of finances.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Braindead as usual.

Regardless of my opinion on Wizardry(only played 8), and ultima(never played any of them). Diablo 1 and 2 each individually sold more copies then those entire 8 and 9 game franchises combined.

Maybe ultima, with both UU games(bringing the total to 11) beats out diablo 1. Maybe.

Obviously there were a good amount of blobber and ultima clones in the 80s and early 90s. Maybe the occasional one after that, but they are completely dwarfed by the amount of diablo clones(even if most of them suck). We're still seeing diablo clones today almost 30 years later.

I'm not the biggest fan of diablo(although I wouldn't say I dislike 1 or 2, never played 3 or 4) but saying it isn't the most influential 'rpg' of all time just shows a non understanding of finances.
But influence isn't about how many units are sold. Influence is about changing the way developers approach their craft (or inspiring them to become developers in the first place). Diablo is a very influential game, but it's standing on the shoulders of giants. As I previously said, the RPG genre as we know it would not exist without Wizardry and Ultima. The only property that influenced RPGs more would be Dungeons & Dragons itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But influence isn't about how many units are sold. Influence is about changing the way developers approach their craft (or inspiring them to become developers in the first place). Diablo is a very influential game, but it's standing on the shoulders of giants. As I previously said, the RPG genre as we know it would not exist without Wizardry and Ultima. The only property that influenced RPGs more would be Dungeons & Dragons itself.
Diablo's influence isn't those games though. It's D&D and Rogue (which certainly is a hugely influential game that I admittedly forgot about since I don't care for roguelikes)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Diablo's influence isn't those games though. It's D&D and Rogue (which certainly is a hugely influential game that I admittedly forgot about since I don't care for roguelikes)
I'm glad you agree with my premise.

agris

Arcane
Patron
[...] but it's immaterial because discussing influence rather than quality is for midwits [...]

3 hours later...

:hero:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
[...] but it's immaterial because discussing influence rather than quality is for midwits [...]

3 hours later...

:hero:
True, but I can talk about Diablo being pleb tier babby's first roguelike too.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i'm just having fun.

i read the first post and thought to myself "bet they end up arguing over influence"

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2024/01/History-of-1990s-Computer-Games.html

Lilura1, authoritative RPG commentator:
[...] it must be stated unequivocally that, in terms of influence, id Software are the undisputed King-developer not just of the 1990s, but of all-time. [... ] I would be inclined not to place [...] any pure cRPG in the same league of historical significance as the abovementioned.

She is right tho

Not that a low-standard shill would understand

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Infinitron What agenda? You are just ignorant about videogame history. But here, let me educate you.

If John Carmack (probably the most influential engine programmer of all time) hadn't licensed the Q2 engine (based heavily on the Q1 engine) to Gabe Newell, we wouldn't have Half Life, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Team Fortress, Overwatch, etc. (link), around 100+ Source games (link), around 50+ MOBAs (list), countless mods and other games, Valve as a company and Steam as a service.

We all love cRPGs but nothing comes close. Lilura is right about this.

Origin had Richard Garriot, Warren Spector and Paul Neurath. That means Ultima, which is probably the most influential of the holy trinity of Ultima-Wizardry-Rogue on both Western and Japanese RPGs combined, and UU which created the immersive sim, and by extension the stealth game (even modern MGS copied Splinter Cell, which copied Thief). You wouldn't have Dark Souls without UU, either. Didn't it also influence Castle Wolfenstein? Then again, shooters are not my thing.

Lilura only likes a sliver of genres she grew up with and dismisses everything else. Her AUTHORITATIVE statements are just shitposts.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Braindead as usual.
Minecraft is a better game than 99% of abandonware wizardry clones youve played

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom