Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Library Of Ruina

Suicidal

Arcane
I tried the dev's free game, Ligma Company or something, and it was absolute dogshit. Combat was just color matching vs. normal enemies and picking the highest number ability against the limb with the lowest number vs. bosses. Uninstalled after a few hours.

Is Ruina better than that? Because it looks VERY similar but I've heard multiple reports about how it's actually very good with complex mechanics and etc.

Pocgels

Scholar
I tried the dev's free game, Ligma Company or something, and it was absolute dogshit. Combat was just color matching vs. normal enemies and picking the highest number ability against the limb with the lowest number vs. bosses. Uninstalled after a few hours.

Is Ruina better than that? Because it looks VERY similar but I've heard multiple reports about how it's actually very good with complex mechanics and etc.
The decline is massive, I'm not actually sure how people who beat Ruina were not bored to tears playing it.

Ruina is much better, despite being superficially similar. There's an economy to cards in the form of light card cost and card draw, so you don't just use the biggest number every time it comes up. You actually have control over how you build your team. Speed of your team and the enemy is something you can reasonably control and play around. Et Cetera. It also starts off kind of easy, but the difficulty does ramp up and there is some really creative design (though not exactly easy to grok) on many of the bosses.

In Limbus Company you match the colors and pick the biggest number. The game was purposefully casualized for the mobile audience. I think a lot of Ruina fans are still playing mods for the game, but I'm not sure as I try to avoid the project moon community (they're loons.)

Leonard

Educated
I had some interest in the early devlopment of Limbus Company, but then it turned out that it's a pay to win mobile free to play gacha game and I can't think of anything more vomit inducing, so I'm never going to play it and would advise anyone against playing it.

Library of Ruina is an interesting experience, even if an uneven one and could use a polishing pass, some design is bad, the game start is slow and the endgame game is way too long. Sure, overall it's a bit of Koreanjank but I'm happy to have played through it and could see myself playing through it again.

The first game of the series, Lobotomy Corporation also had some interesting ideas, but the tedium to fun ratio is pretty high. There's a lot of grinding through the repetitive mechanics in between doing the fun stuff and despite putting a decent number of hours, I haven't finished it, because I just couldn't stand playing it anymore. It's probably fine if you have a high tolerance for grind.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Lobotomy Corp is simultaneously brilliant and one of the most frustrating and tedious games I've ever played. A lot of the later missions are extremely difficult but also extremely long, so you might spend 40 or 50 minutes trying to complete a difficult level only to lose and have to restart it, multiple times. Library of Ruina is a much more fun and complete game but it doesn't have the same atmosphere that the first game has. It feels a lot more "anime," for lack of a better word, and I find it a disappointing follow up to L Corp's sequel-bait ending.

Haven't played Limbus Company, I refuse to play gacha games on principle. I recommend enjoying the Limbus Company reading list and then never playing the game:

g0I6cCN.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
... Is this another crazy convoluted anime plot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom