Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about The Witcher.

Topher

Cipher
Wow, that FCR does look really nice and seems to address quite a few of my complaints with the combat system. Does anybody know if it will work with my in-progress game?

Topher

Cipher
Yeah, from the description it seemed like archers would tear you up. I'm playing on hard now and since I'm unlikely to play through this game again anytime soon I guess FCR will just have to wait awhile.

The game has gotten much more interesting in Act 2, there are still a lot of little sloppy things that I'm running across but I'm playing unpatched right now so I'm just going to chalk it all up to that.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Topher said:
Wow, that FCR does look really nice and seems to address quite a few of my complaints with the combat system. Does anybody know if it will work with my in-progress game?
From the official FAQ

Q: Will the new version of the mod be compatible with the saved games from the older version?

A: At the moment, all existant and future versions of the mod are compatible with the older ones. You can easily continue your game using the saved games from the previous mod version.

The older version includes TW retail. However, there is a drawback.

Q: I've installed the mod correctly and I still have the old model and description.

A: The equipment's parameters are stored in the save game data. The mod does not affect saved games, so it is necessary to obtain a new sword or start a new game, which is recommended.

So the already obtained items by you are unaffaected - they will have old paramteres. For example a red meteorite sword made in mod-free game will be much weaker than the new one. I also remember reading somewhere that new resolutions to quests won't appear if you start from a saved game. Maybe they have addressed this issue somehow.

Yeah, from the description it seemed like random archers would just tear you up. I'm playing on hard now and since I'm unlikely to play through this game again anytime soon I guess FCR will just have to wait awhile.

It's not that bad. The only situation this posed any issue to me happened in Act I with the group of elves during Haren's quest-line. The defelect bullet talent comes in handy here. Also you will start to make archers your target of priority.

Mrowak

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Topher said:

It works. ITS BRILLIANT. The gameplay has become a bit tougher. I would suggest not trying the insane difficulty directly. Got my ass handed to me.

Post more feedback after you've played a little.

Ladonna

Arcane
I wasn't able to keep the other Witcher, Berengar, alive at the final boss. Is it possible? Or had I wasted a whole lot of attempts for nothing?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Mrowak said:
Actually, I think it is p. legitimate. After all, in retail game the girl tells you that she found Vincent's fur (after you spare his life). It'd make sense for Geralt to ask her for some, right? Especially when he knows (from books or otherwise) what he can do with it.
I cannot disagree more. It is ridicules to think that you just need a couple of hairs to make an elixir. If that was the case, all witchers would have this ability by default. It stands to reason that you need the entire fur - you need to skin the werewolf...

Well, joking aside, the entire point of this quest have been to make a choice. To be a nice guy and let werwolf live, or to gain important ability for your character. And this mod lets you eat your cake and have it too. Why not let Coleman live regardles of your decisions in the first chapter? While we are at it, Toruviel should trust you even if all of your choices were pro human, right? Consequences sucks, after all.

Mrowak

Arcane
root said:
it still bugs me that so many people complain about boring combat. it's not exactly boring, it's just automatic. and to be fair, it isn't exactly integral to the game. the few fights that were necessary, I found reasonably challenging (or at least reasonably well thought-out), like that quest that you have to find echinopsae tendrils or whatever. I never bothered slaughtering the drowning dead in the way. why would anybody?

only fight that was actually drawn out (apart from hordes of fledders spawning in crypts and you running away weeping) was the final boss one, and well...final bosses tend to be kinda lame whatever the genre.

so i really have no gripes with TW's combat. besides, alchemy was p fun. and the boobie cards were a must.

My thoughts exactly. There may have been many things wrong with combat in TW, but ultimately it was quite entertaining and reasonably challenging at (relatively rare) times. Then a horde of whiners appered snivelling how TW combat ruined their childhood, how badly optimised it was too easy/hard at the same time and so on. Then they proceeded to tell the rest how they finished KotOR 11 times (Cryway) apparently due to its engaging tactical gameplay, and that NWN 1 was teh best game evar (Volorun) because of the richness and complexity inherent in the combat. No integrity whatsoever. :roll:

I cannot disagree more. It is ridicules to think that you just need a couple of hairs to make an elixir. If that was the case, all witchers would have this ability by default. It stands to reason that you need the entire fur - you need to skin the werewolf...

Well, joking aside, the entire point of this quest have been to make a choice. To be a nice guy and let werwolf live, or to gain important ability for your character. And this mod lets you eat your cake and have it too. Why not let Coleman live regardles of your decisions in the first chapter? While we are at it, Toruviel should trust you even if all of your choices were pro human, right? Consequences sucks, after all.

I cannot disagree more with you not agreeing with me. I would now give in detail a long discurse on how wrong you are but that is good for Biotard circlejerkers who think bickering about details is discussion. ;) I will only say that this is the only quest the Consequence to you Choice is removed if you regard it that way. More importantly, I just checked the mod's setup file. You can choose not to install the Werewolf fur mod with FCR.

root said:
it still bugs me that so many people complain about boring combat. it's not exactly boring, it's just automatic. and to be fair, it isn't exactly integral to the game. the few fights that were necessary, I found reasonably challenging (or at least reasonably well thought-out), like that quest that you have to find echinopsae tendrils or whatever. I never bothered slaughtering the drowning dead in the way. why would anybody?

only fight that was actually drawn out (apart from hordes of fledders spawning in crypts and you running away weeping) was the final boss one, and well...final bosses tend to be kinda lame whatever the genre.

so i really have no gripes with TW's combat. besides, alchemy was p fun. and the boobie cards were a must.

Wait, what?

You describe the combat as automatic, and somehow that doesn't make it boring?

It is boring though. It is more boring than a click-fest really, because the pattern in which you click is predetermined and must be done as such to get anywhere; there are those short moments in between clicks, watching the guy play his animation, and you're thinking to yourself "why the hell am I watching this game FFS".

When you have a mind that works this fast and awesomely, root, you basically end up formulating entire chapters of novels in your mind, in between timed clicks. You just don't understand.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Ugh... OK, it is a warning. If you are using this difficulty mod, you do risk fucking up your game. I know, I just did. The Revenered disappeared on me. When I press "show all the items", [alt], I can see his name floating in the thin air, where he is supposed to be. You cannot talk to him, so it is imposible to proceed with the main plot. I googled it somewhat, it seems to be a bug related to mods used on Enhanced Editon. Something about tages (my game is NOT pirated, by the way).
Damn it! The fucked fucking fuck! Shit, shit, shit! :x

rangarkash

Novice
Personally, the most annoying thing about TW's combat were the times you'd spot behaviors you'd expect from NWN characters. Like the times when you click on an enemy to attack and Geralt screws around to get in that exact spot 12.47 centimeters away from the opponent before he attacks, all the while being wailed upon by less discriminating foes. Or the times in third person view where you're surrounded and end up attacking the enemy behind you instead of continuing to fast attack your way out of the circle of enemies.

I still :love: the game tho.

And Gordon Freeman.. If it helps, a while back I decided to continue another playthrough of the game. Genius that I am, I started using autosaves exclusively mid Act 2. This would be all fine and dandy... If I hadn't been screwing around with custom adventures. :oops:

zool

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
I was basically in the same position as you Topher, and with the very same impressions from the game.

I believe I got up to a point where some guy on the bridge asked me to go into a cave in order to get permission into the city.
I started playing on hard, and after experiencing the combat and various other disappointments (invisible walls around a straight path are a particular dislike of mine, and it seems this game is composed entirely of that) I basically just gave up on it. There was nothing to enjoy in what I was doing. I was getting frustrated and hoping the stupid combat would end so I could get on with the story and character advancement and quests and what-not, but then the quests were all repetitive and boring, the "skills" are just numerical bonuses on basic combat activities with no real "flavour", and the characters just haven't been interesting enough to follow.

I just can't enjoy this game.

Seems that I am on this very same path but I'll give it a few additional hours before making a final judgement.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seems most of you cant enjoy the game cause it doesnt say "developed by Bioware" or Blizzard and other companies. If you like RPG's, you'll love TWitcher, if not youre just a newfag. If this was made by Gaider and co. you'll be praising this to the skies.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Markman said:
Seems most of you cant enjoy the game cause it doesnt say "developed by Bioware" or Blizzard and other companies. If you like RPG's, you'll love TWitcher, if not youre just a newfag. If this was made by Gaider and co. you'll be praising this to the skies.

strawman.jpg

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Captain Shrek said:
The fact most of the codex like ME series is a disturbing insight into their minds.

Stop this shit. Not just you, every mini-Skyway who says shit like this. You know it's not true. The Witcher gets far more praise here than ME does, being pointlessly counter-Codex to appear even more elitist than the elitist place does not make you cool, it makes you look like you're incapable of communicating in anything but ludicrous hyperbole. If you don't like the Codex, fucking leave or your opinions are worth shit.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Captain Shrek said:
But whatever my reasons keep your fucking opinions to yourself.

okay guys the random 4chan fucker who popped up last week and won't shut up about how much he hates it here says I'm not allowed to have opinions anymore guess I'd better leave, it was fun :salute:

No mercy for revolutionary subversives. Your attempts to destroy the Codex from within will only fail.

zool

Arcane
Markman said:

Butthurt pole? I just said I'm not incredibly excited by what I've seen so far: uninteresting combat, relatively bland characters, fucking invisible walls everywhere - oh, I'm not a big fan of the camera either. I also said I would give it a couple more hours before making a final judgment. Also, the last Bioware game I played was Baldur's Gate II. :?

By the way, gotta appreciate the fact the OP decided to start this thread in General Gaming, not GRPGD. :smug:

Edit: :salute: rimjob, you had a nice run here but your time is obviously up.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Reading about TW combat system here, I feel strange urge to taste it. Say, dear sirs, can one play-through TW/TW2 by completely throwing story out of window and only “role-playing” Geralt as great swordsman? There was an old game “Die by sword” which I always found amusing, TW's are similar by any chance?

Feel so noob'y by asking... I just bought Drakensang Phileassons Secret and River of Time instead TW2.

DraQ

Arcane
@CorpseZeb:

Witcher is storyfag action RPG.
It's not Torment, obviously, but the general formula is similar to PST, except it's an action-RPG rather than RPG, and stats generally only influence combat (disconnect between mechanics and the role played is pretty much the worst thing about The Witcher). You do get C&C more involving the main storyline in exchange, though.

You can't ignore the plot, because it's not TES-like sandbox. The story is the game here, more than slicing shit up. Combat mechanics is rather weak, due to limited player involvement (lengthy attack sequences severely limit the amount of control player has over the combat), but pre-combat preparation matters and alleviates the problem somewhat.
Additionally game is pretty atmospheric, has good art direction, awesome music and is nicely animated.
From what I understand Polish version is far superior to English in terms of atmosphere, story and characters - some things simply get lost in translation.

Generally, codex's initial reaction was pretty enthusiastic and there is review on the codex somewhere.

z o o l said:
Markman said:

Butthurt pole? I just said I'm not incredibly excited by what I've seen so far: uninteresting combat, relatively bland characters, fucking invisible walls everywhere - oh, I'm not a big fan of the camera either. I also said I would give it a couple more hours before making a final judgment. Also, the last Bioware game I played was Baldur's Gate II. :?
Have you played the first Banal Gate too?
Because if so, complaining about anything in TW, especially combat and characters pretty much discredits you right away.

MMXI

Arcane
DraQ said:
@CorpseZeb:

Witcher is storyfag action RPG.
It's not Torment, obviously, but the general formula is similar to PST, except it's an action-RPG rather than RPG, and stats generally only influence combat (disconnect between mechanics and the role played is pretty much the worst thing about The Witcher). You do get C&C more involving the main storyline in exchange, though.

You can't ignore the plot, because it's not TES-like sandbox. The story is the game here, more than slicing shit up. Combat mechanics is rather weak, due to limited player involvement (lengthy attack sequences severely limit the amount of control player has over the combat), but pre-combat preparation matters and alleviates the problem somewhat.
Additionally game is pretty atmospheric, has good art direction, awesome music and is nicely animated.
From what I understand Polish version is far superior to English in terms of atmosphere, story and characters - some things simply get lost in translation.

Generally, codex's initial reaction was pretty enthusiastic and there is review on the codex somewhere.
Pretty much this, though it's worth noting that The Witcher is a shit RPG because it's basically all about the story yet your statistics play no part in any of it. A fun story-based action game with terrible combat and terrible RPG mechanics. I liked the alchemy, though, and the atmosphere and music was top notch. Definitely worth playing but barely an RPG.

DraQ said:
Because if so, complaining about anything in TW, especially combat and characters pretty much discredits you right away.
Yeah, because Banal Gate had worse combat than The Witcher. Characters? You mean the recruitable ones? Banal Gate did it old-school by making the characters shut the fuck up after recruitment. Banal Gate II is the one with shitty romances and lots of irritating Minsc dialogue. You recruit party members in Banal Gate based on their classes and statistics. You recruit party members in Banal Gate II based on whether you like their personality. I know which one I prefer, and it's not the latter.

zool

Arcane
DraQ said:
z o o l said:
Markman said:

I played BGI, yes. I enjoyed it, because I was 14 years old and it was pretty much my first RPG. I still enjoy it today because I'm much more tolerant when I have nice 2D graphics instead of 3D + the whole rose-tinted glasses thing. Thing is, I'm not 14 years old anymore, so I expect the Witcher to deliver something a little out of the ordinary fantasy banal shit boring. So far, I haven't seen it but I've played a little more and things seem to improve a bit. I still reserve my final judgement but as MMXI said, it seems to be much more of a story-based action game than a RPG. If choices really matter, then it's all the better - but it's still not what I call a RPG.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Ladonna said:
I wasn't able to keep the other Witcher, Berengar, alive at the final boss. Is it possible? Or had I wasted a whole lot of attempts for nothing?

I wonder the same thing. I'll try to keep him alive the next time I replay it.

sick

Educated
it is possible but it is also so hard that your chances are slim (just like killing golem with sword or killing hunter that attack you if you kill random people)

Topher

Cipher
So I more or less put this game down, I intend to get back to it at some point but I've got to ask. Does anyone else think this game has a lot in common with Fable?

The areas are very similar in design, small, semi-open and fenced in. The quests (I'm in the swamp) more or less hold you hand from point A to point B, always telling you exactly who to talk to or exactly where to go. It doesn't have a quest compass but I've always felt very guided. Most of the quests I've done amount to little more then collecting dialog from "X" number of NPC's (the investigation in the city felt really cool at first but it's design became more transparent as it went on). Constant combat yet the combat mechanics take a back seat to everything else. A reduced emphasis on looting. A similar character leveling system.

Anyway, while I was playing the design constantly reminded me of Fable's design... a lot of people around here would easily recommend the The Witcher while few, if any, would recommend Fable.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Ladonna said:
Sure you can. In my last playtrough Berengar was alive when I killed that person, that person fell into the water and I wasn't able to loot his body. That bastard. As long as you will not allow that person to attack him for too long, he has chance to survive, otherwise he is a toast. So majority of that fight you'd be running around like screaming woman, dodging his fireballs, and hope he will not jump at Berengar.

I don't reload, I let it happen as it happened. So when he fell into the water with a fat loot, and there was no way how to get at him... That was cruel. Keeping Berengar alive was a slight bonus. Then I returned from watching the body and looted everything that was lootable, and even tried to loot that mirror.

CorpseZeb

Learned
DraQ, MMXI thanks for clarify things. My short temptation for witcher ballets of death was based on false assumptions, I guess. Nah... I will give up TW/TW2, don't want mess up Witcher-book-based world existed in my head.

Dunno why, but does combat system from Divinity 2 better suited for witchery-swordsery? But then, that was pure action... but then again, its game 'bout witcher – slavic samurai... But then, then, then nothing will be good enough for me, so I shut fucking up.

Ps. People – go and buy Witcher 2 – or go and buy any game worth playing or just do something constructive...

Ps2. Some people said story of Witcher is banal. It is indeed? Because original “lore” is all but nothing about banal, typical tolkiensque fantasy cliché. Sadly making good game based on very good book looks like next to impossible task.

Ps3. And... what?! I really don't think its proper to put in one sentence – Fable and Witcher. Is Witcher had - HEY LOOK – FOLLOW PATH WHICH GLOWING FOR YOUR NAVIGATOION LORING YOU DUMBASS – handy feature? No to mention about Cleese...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom