Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Quest for Glory

Favorite QFG?

• QFG1 : So you want to be a hero?

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • QFG2 : Trial by Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • QFG 4 : Shadows of Darkness

• QFG 5 : Dragon Fire

• Total voters

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I just finished QFG 1 , 3 & 4 over a week and a half. Not bad at all. It was shorter than I remembered, but taking my magic user from QFG1 and turning him into pally in QFG 3 and then finishing off QFG 4 as pally was awesome.

Right now I'm still looking for QFG5 torrent. But first, lemme just say QFG3 was a letdown. Somehow I felt I would miss nothing by going straight to 4. I admit I downloaded QFG2 remake but the combat was just too damn hard. Any advice would be appreciated for me to enjoy it all over again.

QFG1 VGA : Awesome. This one is totally a shining start to the series. I liked the semi-open world exploration they had and the somewhat 'different' roles you get. Picking a magic user would cause me to miss a lot of Thief content (throwing knives mini game & night time burglary), but it offers an easy way out in combat aside from stealth.

QFG2 : Ehh, I didn't have a fond memory of this, maybe it's because I started on QFG1 VGA and spoiled by the point n click interface. It just felt awkward to play by typing words with mouse taking a backseat.

QFG3 : Back to point n click with improved art, but sadly the content is lacking. The jungle was uninteresting as hell, the Thief role had nothing much to do. No Guild, No Fencing and money was close to meaningless. I was stuck in a stupid 'no plot advancing' problem too until I realize I had to trigger some stupid spear throwing event on my paladin playthrough. Overall, most disappointing in my opinion.

QFG4 : Gosh. I loved it. The dark atmosphere, and when the wolves howled at the main menu with the theme song playing, I knew it's GOOD. Fuck Africa. This is the shit. Artwork is 5 out of 5. With excellent illustration that has awesome variety of characters and setting, QFG4 doesn't disappoint. Although it let me down with 'content starvation' syndrome after the first week of in-game time passed, it's still a MUCH better game than QFG3 will ever be.

I wonder if there's more games like these or not. I suspect Mass Effect is trying to do this with character exports, would be quite good if it works well.

bgillisp

Scholar
I personally liked 4 the best, with 2 next in line. 2 I felt did a lot of good things in the series, if you can get used to the typing interface. Though it may have helped that I started on the old QFG1 (which also had a typing interface). Haven't played the remake of 2 yet so can't comment on that

5...ehhh, I felt it wasn't that good a game. It did finish the series decently, but it was a let down after 4 I felt

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love this series and still have the original Hero's Quest box from before they had to change the series' name. They were one of the main reasons why I kept a 5.25" drive in my computers for ages until I got the Anthology CD.

Anyway, I figure my favourites go something like this: 4 > 2 > 1=3 > 5

5 came out during that period where everything was starting to go 3D. Between that and a lack of budget and time, it doesn't look or play all that great. At least you can make some weapon and armour choices to somewhat customize your hero. Even so, it's the worst of the games by far imo.

I really should try to play through these again, but with QfG1 VGA, there's that weird timing glitch where the weapon master spams attacks so quickly that you can't do anything. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I've found various fanfixes to help with the timers for pretty much all the bugged out events in the various games but not that one.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could learn acrobatics in qfg3. Also, you could actually gain and use the paladin abilities there.
Best playthrough i made was:
qfg1 magic user thief : qfg2 magic user thief paladin (can't complete UUW) : qfg3 magic user thief paladin : qfg4 magic user thief paladin (all the content baby except the elf battle) : qfg5 magic user thief paladin (insane how you can be a paladin king and the leader of the guild.)

Kavax

Scholar
The QFG2 Remake is one of the few games where you'll want to use the easy difficulty setting the first time you play. The combat system, however, is quite fun when you learn it.

Zeus

Cipher
I'm not surprised QFG4 is everyone's favorite. That game had tons of atmosphere and hilarious voice acting. And the music! I still play the Mordavian Inn theme from time to time. Only problem is, it was one of those adventure games where you seemed to be able to pick up everything, so when it came time to try out combos and solve puzzles, you had 100s of useless dust pans and garlic cloves to wade through.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The original EGA version of Qfg2 will always be my favorite. First game in the series I played, and still the best. Not even the VGA remake could top it (although they did one heck of a good job).

Second place goes to the CD version of Qfg4, mostly, I admit, because of the creepy Cthulhu-inspired setting and the fantastic voice acting. Jennifer Hale is absolutely fantastic, and John-Rhys Davies as the narrator is just perfect.

Third place goes to Qfg5 because it completes the Hero's adventure in a very satisfying manner. The combat is poorly done, however, and some of the puzzles took a depressing turn on Myst street but it's still great fun.

Fourth place goes to the EGA version of Qfg1, mostly because Qfg3 (fifth place) isn't very good in my opinion. Still, the first game is a neat little adventure and a decent start of one of the greatest game series ever.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
mediocrepoet said:
I really should try to play through these again, but with QfG1 VGA, there's that weird timing glitch where the weapon master spams attacks so quickly that you can't do anything. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I've found various fanfixes to help with the timers for pretty much all the bugged out events in the various games but not that one.
Use CPU slowing down tool, such as Mo-Slow or Slowdown.

Topic: QFG 2 EGA > 3 > 1 VGA > 4 > 5

(Furries)

Luzur

Good Sir
Vibalist said:
Stop hating on QfG5 bitches. It's easily better than 3, 1 and 2.

2lktnk7.jpg

bgillisp

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
The original EGA version of Qfg2 will always be my favorite. First game in the series I played, and still the best. Not even the VGA remake could top it (although they did one heck of a good job).

Second place goes to the CD version of Qfg4, mostly, I admit, because of the creepy Cthulhu-inspired setting and the fantastic voice acting. Jennifer Hale is absolutely fantastic, and John-Rhys Davies as the narrator is just perfect.

Third place goes to Qfg5 because it completes the Hero's adventure in a very satisfying manner. The combat is poorly done, however, and some of the puzzles took a depressing turn on Myst street but it's still great fun.

Fourth place goes to the EGA version of Qfg1, mostly because Qfg3 (fifth place) isn't very good in my opinion. Still, the first game is a neat little adventure and a decent start of one of the greatest game series ever.

I have really found memories of QFG1 myself...because it was the first adventure game I beat without a walkthrough (I was 13 at the time)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jasede said:
mediocrepoet said:
Use CPU slowing down tool, such as Mo-Slow or Slowdown.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I recently restarted the QFG series, but due to time constraints I'm currently stuck on 3.

QFG4 is easily the best one, despite the huge amount of bugs and ridiculous combat system. Only QFG5 has a worse combat system...if you can call it that.

QFG1 comes next, it is atmospheric, funny and really versatile.

QFG2 and QFG3 sort of come in at a tie for me.

QFG3 is pretty dull as a game, but there's a lot of story and the setting is interesting...it just feels underused. It's also not properly balanced, as the classes aren't equal in QFG3.

QFG2, on the other hand, is a better game in terms of balance and content, but the game has aged badly due to how the city is laid out and its "be at place X at time Y or you're screwed" set up. Even the remake couldn't save it from those points, and the remake is awesome. Anyone whining about tough battles in QFG2 should try to fight the hidden monster in the desert. By far the toughest fight in the whole game series.

QFG5 is a good game, but it's too much of a departure from the other games to be able to retain the charm of the series, despite repeated attempts to do so.

giantgnome

Scholar
4>1>2>5>3

4- dark atmosphere, great VA, artwork, characters, plot. The first time playing is the best, piecing together all the elements of the story, why you were brought there and who the real villain is. Oh and not to forget the great music.

1- For its openness and future potential. Also the first QfG I played--when it was Hero's Quest. I was happy to discover the VGA latter on.

2-Didn't age that well for me. For one it remained stuck as ega, and typing commands (yeah I know there's a VGA remake now but for the longest time it was go from decent graphics and mouse use to the old style of gaming). Also the weight system and easy access to gold made it so easy to get weighed down and have to drop money, which it only let you do one coin at a time. The timed events, much different than the first one, were far enough apart that if you knew what you were doing (played before, trying a new character for instance) you spent tons of time either waiting for them to occur or sleeping until they occurred. Still there were a lot of fun quests including the elementals and Julanar. Also brought in the acrobatics and communication ability, if I'm not mistaken, the latter of which was removed for some stupid reason in 5. Ugh, and trying to load this on my old computer at the time-- it came with 9 Disks!

5-Not a good ending IMHO. I'd also get frequent crashes to desktop later in the game while walking around the island. Might've just been me. Didn't like the majority of the voice-acting (What happened to Katrina? Perfect VA in 4. 5--ugh.). Had some interesting story points but the last battle was basically just hack at the dragon for a two-second ending. Was happy to finally be able to customize with different weapons, though I wish that would've been included from the beginning of the series.

3-Least favorite and one that I could never get max puzzle points in, aside from fighter turning Paladin (which was almost impossible to avoid unless you tried). I'm still not sure how I could solve all the puzzles and problems in the other QfG and not in 3. I had read before that there might've been a bug as other people had the same complaints. If anyone knows please let me know. Wasn't fond of the setting, although it was unique. Didn't really like receiving different points for how you solved certain instances (most points for running after the thief to stop him, less for throwing a knife at him or casting a spell such as calm or fireball). The quest where you define who you are (forget most of the details now) by answering different questions about yourself was cool but had no impact on anything in the series as far as I can remember. This game always felt more like a bridge between 2 and 4, and in fact that's what it was since 3 was originally supposed to be Shadows of Darkness, rather than an enjoyable game of its own. Still wasn't terrible and did have some good points.

All had too many bugs thanks to Sierra, which the creators complained were always trying to rush the games out the door before they were properly tested. I remember one story regarding the Coles going on vacation, returing to find that Sierra had been trying to ship out QfG3 with a bug that wouldn't let you complete the game. That would've been fun to deal with.

Overall great series.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
QFG2 EGA was a very big leap from QFG1. The second one had a lot more NPCs, a bigger city and a slightly more developed plot. Combat, however, is what set apart these two games for me. Some people didn't like that combat required more skill in the second game, with less of an emphasis on stats like in the first game (where combat was mostly about stats), but I found it more interesting. The VGA remake was purdy and awesome, though I turned off the harder elements of combat and only played it once through.

QFG3 was initially Shadows of Mordavia (QFG4), as you can see at the end of QFG2. I guess they wanted to expand on the series a bit, perhaps develop a different setting, I don't know. However it is not as bad a game as people here make it to be. Combat was still a lot about skill, which made it fun to fight, and the story was pretty interesting and certainly came to a big rise at the end (the Lost City was great, as was the fight against the doppleganger). Character-specific quests were also interesting, the Simbani warrior initiation and the mage's leopardmen duel. Thieves were screwed, though.

QFG4 has my deepest love. I played that game through so many, many times... I remember a glitch, where you could finish the game and import your character back in with his same stats, so I essentially played it four times with an ubermaxed character. As for quality, I can still hear the voice acting in my head from when I got the CD version, and I'll always remember that vision when the demon comes out from the mountain. The game was creepy as hell and made, until 5, a great end to the series.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
SerratedBiz said:
QFG3 was initially Shadows of Mordavia (QFG4), as you can see at the end of QFG2. I guess they wanted to expand on the series a bit, perhaps develop a different setting, I don't know.
I heard Sierra thought that the hero wasn't quite uber enough to kick Cthulhu's ass right after QfG 2, so they sent him to grind some demons in Africa.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what's so great about 4? The bugs are game-destroying, the combat is awful, the puzzles aren't really as fun or logical as they were in 1-3 (subjective opinion alert) and the only real good thing about it is the music and the atmosphere, ignoring the boring castle.

It's the Rusalka boobs, isn't it?

Edit:

Counter-question, what's so great about 3? Well, it was my very first one, so that's instant bonus points, and I really liked the NPCs - the meat-seller, the woman serving you food in the inn, Uhura, and so on. Everyone in the market had a personality and I really loved the little things, like the bits of Swahili or the descriptions of the food inside the inn.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jasede said:
So what's so great about 4? The bugs are game-destroying, the combat is awful, the puzzles aren't really as fun or logical as they were in 1-3 (subjective opinion alert) and the only real good thing about it is the music and the atmosphere, ignoring the boring castle.
Which version are you playing, Jazz? I own the CD version and play it with Dosbox, aside from the obvious "computer runs too fast" bugs (which you can fix easily without slowdown programs btw) I haven't run into any bugs, and the disk version have patches that makes it stable.

It's the Rusalka boobs, isn't it?
Personally, I orgasmed whenever Jennifer Hale or John-Rhys Davies spoke, but yes, those are nice boobs. And green hair! Whoa!

I dunno, man. I really dig the creepy atmosphere and the people you meet. I like the sense of paranoia in that the hero drops into the land "Motb-style" and slowly gains the trust of the people. I also like that the plot is not just derived from Lovecraft's works but also have this feel of a fairytale in it, or however you want to put it. You know, naked ladies in the lake, annoying quiz masters, lycanthrophy, vampirism... It's a great melting pot and it fits together so nicely.

Counter-question, what's so great about 3? Well, it was my very first one, so that's instant bonus points, and I really liked the NPCs - the meat-seller, the woman serving you food in the inn, Uhura, and so on. Everyone in the market had a personality and I really loved the little things, like the bits of Swahili or the descriptions of the food inside the inn.
I like Qfg3 too, but to me it is the weakest entry in the series. Now, Sierra certainly didn't let us down regarding the characters or the plot although certain parts seem rushed to me, but like many people I was very disappointed that the thief character didn't have anything to do. You have a character you have taken through games 1 and 2 and then game 3 screws it up? I can also name quite a few bugs; some of the "game-destroying" variant (sudden crashes, mysterious plot teleportation, etc) and some of the "haha, i'm not giving you full points!" variant. Is it even possible to get a full score in Qfg3? I know it's a bullshit complaint but I'd like to know just the same. Anyway, it's a rushed game and that's why I like it the least.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jasede said:

The characters, maybe? Tanya & Toby (the little girl and her...friend) aren't exactly the most normal pair of friends you'll meet in a game. Or the Gnome at the Inn. Speaking of the Gnome, QFG4 is full of jokes, which many may find a bit odd, considering the setting and athmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom