Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's succeed a Dwarf Fortress! [Krash-ing for Fun!]

Krash

Arcane
Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 25th of Hematite

Stinthad got sick today, or so he says. He apparently touched some kind of slime-like substance when carrying up a body from the underground. He’s in bed now, recuperating. I suspect this is just an excuse to slack off, as he’s not exactly known as the more diligent of workers.

1zx43di.jpg

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 26th of Hematite

24lvjg5.jpg

I Guess he wasn’t faking… Unfortunately we’ll probably never know what killed him since our doc had to drink, eat, sleep, and take a break before seeing his patient.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 9th of Malachite

An ambush! We barely got the gate open before getting jumped by goblins. The dogs and traps made short work of them, but they still managed to make it to the great hall. Obviously, more traps are needed.

2wcmrvb.jpg

25fpu9f.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Cassidy

Arcane
1zx43di.jpg

I thought I had sealed that place.

Also, unless you want to an hero Anusblaze, you should engrave memorials and forbid the corpses of anyone infected by the Nokast syndrome.

Krash

Arcane
Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 17th of Malachite

5mddmd.jpg

2jxrfr.jpg

Dodging goblin patrols and hungry wildlife, some migrants have arrived. Bless their little hearts. I’m not sure they understand what they’re getting themselves into. Better clean up the great hall so they don’t see all the blood.

Between the incredibly useful milkers and woodcarvers there’s quite a haul of battle hardened dwarfs, bringing our total population to an awe inspiring 23. I recognized my old drinking buddy Thin Man Ilidmomuz among the newcomers. Despite what his strange name and his passion for spinning would imply, he’s a veteran swordsdwarf, a very useful asset for us here. When I asked him why he gave up his cozy job at the mountainhome department of corrections for this place he just stroked his braided beard and looked at me like I was an idiot. “Adventure!” he exclaimed. “What else could a true dwarf aspire to!?”

I might just renege on my traps only plan.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 4th of Galena

Even badgers are attacking us now – fortunately not very successfully.

5z1uo6.jpg

34oasth.jpg

Dwarf engineering vs Badger; not a pretty sight.

Of course, even with its gut dragging behind, one managed to crawl all the way to the main doors and die right on the doorway. Wedging it open. I suspect the badgers are in league with the goblins.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 9th of Galena

Today I went down to the caves to see for myself what happened at the end of my predecessor’s reign. No one wanted to come with me, save for Rith who still can’t recall anything about what happened. There were skeletons everywhere, lying as they fell, armors and clothes still hugging the bones. Moss already grows on some of them as the underground reclaims what is hers. I couldn’t help but feel angry that no one has dared to bury these brave dwarves. But there are still some of the monster Nokast’s secretions left, and so the bodies will have to lie here for longer still.

2qi46c3.jpg

289yagi.jpg

On a separate note, who found it advisable to build farms on the first cavern level? I mean, why not just have them in the room specifically irrigated for that purpose? Is there some illegal drug cultivating operation going on?! Maybe that’s why the old residents are being so secretive.
I’ve reorganized our weapons and armor by making one stockpile for high quality metal equipment, and two for the crap we want to sell, melt or just throw away.

A non-story interlude!

One of my favorite commands in DF is binding sections of the fort to an F-something key. Just go to the main in-fort menu, press (h), then set up as you like. Now F1 will take you to the gate, F2 to the Main Hall, F3 to the Workshops, F4 to the Graveyard, F5 to the Cave lvl 1, F6 to the Cave lvl 2, and F7 to the Cave lvl 3. Fancy huh?

Krash

Arcane
Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 20th of Galena

2guhx91.jpg

104g9cn.jpg

I don’t think they’re here for tea. For now, discretion shall be the better part of valor. The lever puller almost managed to kill herself because she saw a sock she just needed to have RIGHT NOW, but fortunately the bridge raised before she could get across.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 23rd of Galena

qso5nc.jpg

This just gets better and better! Fortunately we’ve blocked all entrances down below.

Oh wait it’s a flying serpent. Great. I hope Thin Man can deal with this, because we might just be in deep elf otherwise.

The militia commander, you ask diary? Well, he’s not much of an… anything really.

2uqnoz6.jpg

Luckily, Desmo has more important things to do than to cruelly murder us all. For now he seems content with flying around the underground lakes like a giant angry mosquito.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 29th of Galena

Apparently Desmo has a deep seated hatred of farming, thrashing most of the underground farms we don’t use anyway. Then he attacked Avuz (militia captain) and promptly bit off his left hand. Brave Avuz, seeing he couldn’t beat this enemy, lured him off from the underground entrance, towards the shore of one of the underground lakes. That didn’t work out so well, R.I.P.

Finally done with what he had to do (fill up waterskin, etc), Thin Man got on site. But Desmo cleverly snuck around him and instead got into the fortress. The monster rampaged down the halls, attacking our most precious dwarf (the woodcutter lol) and ripping his leg off, somehow managing to lose both eyes in the process. That gave Thin Man time to catch up, and he cut Desmo into tiny ribbons at the price of just a bruised eyelid.

(Seriously, this is exactly how it happened.)

2625c9c.jpg

Just before the glorious final strike.

Thin Man got promoted to militia commander, which has everything to do with his brave deed and nothing at all to do with that Avuz is dead and at the bottom of a lake.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 8th of Sandstone

Well, save for the goblins at the gates everything is going well now and

2wbvl0g.jpg

Well at least this one can’t fly. But what’s a pterosaur?

Fortunately this one lives where the caverns were sealed off a long time ago.

In better news, we’ve finally ran out of people to bury. There are still some restless ghosts though, so I figure we’ll have to engrave some form of eulogy to get rid of those. Even in death, dwarfs are suckers for a bit of praise.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 15th of Sandstone

All these little passageways, crawlspaces, and dead ends leading to the caverns has been a pain in the ass since I got here (and probably before that). What we need is some real, proper way down, trapped and reinforced enough to keep monsters out. I’ve had a chat with Aban (miner) and Rith, and I think we’ve got a design we can agree on. Now all we need is loads of dwarf-power!

Krash

Arcane
Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 6th of Timber

160et51.jpg

I’m almost beginning to suspect we’ve angered some dwarf god. This one can get into our fortress, so I’ve dispatched Thin Man.

wks3ys.jpg

Dogs give and take some punishment.

Thin Man has better things to do than to fight Forgotten Beasts. Yes, he killed it in a single hit by slicing it in two. Remember this is a monster easily 10 times the size of a dwarf.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 10th of Timber

The mayor Ulminati threw a tantrum today because someone spilled his ale, throwing stuff around and kicking a dog down the stairs. I’m worried because Rith is supposed to administer punishment, and she’s been very enthusiastic about it in the past.

She just caved his head in. I’ll never litter again.

Building a proper prison so we don’t have any more beatings is now on my priority list.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 22nd of Timber

I’m beginning to suspect ulterior motives to the beating. Rith has now been appointed mayor. I wonder if she really lost her memory or this is just a cover for crimes she might have committed before I moved in. I’m definitely keeping my eyes on her.

Funfact: Rith has killed no less than three of the original seven; Krash, Ulminati, and Bandaid.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 29th of Timber

Rummaging through Rith’s things I’ve found notes, lots of them. Some of it pertains to the unfinished doomsday machine outside. It was supposed to be called OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT and rain down magma on unsuspecting invaders. Unfortunately, some parts are missing, and I’m not technical enough to get into it. There’s also a lot about a supposed “cult of the builder”. No one else seems to know anything about it, which worries me – is Rith some nutcase ready to flip out?

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 19th of Moonstone

I’ve built myself a tomb. I think I earned it. I’m thinking of doing the same for previous rulers.

2l9qhpe.jpg

Pictured: a jealous dwarf eyeing my final resting place.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 6th of Opal

More migrants! We might just have enough fresh meat now to bolster the ranks of the military. This new influx has increased our total population to 28 dwarfs and dwarfettes.

Crundles have taken to harassing dwarfs cleaning up the first cave level. Luckily, a hunter on his way back made short work of them.

30ie64g.jpg

I think it's giving us the finger.

2m285j4.jpg

This is what happens when you mess with dwarfs!

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 25th of Opal

2e3snte.jpg

:x

Guess who took care of the problem diary? Hint: T. M.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 11th of Obsidian

Kadol the carpenter is acting strangely. She’s loitering around the Great Hall at the moment, biting her nails and babbling as if she was possessed. I have a hunch that she needs something – but what?

At the recommendation of one of the residents I had a bowyers shop built. Kadol immediately rushed to it, threw us out, and began gathering materials. I hope she makes a fancy crossbow. Amrok knows there’s enough here to shoot at.

Nil Zulbanavuz’s diary, 27th of Obsidian

I’m getting tired of working my ass off for little reward. I think it’s time I let some other sucker handle this crap. But before I do, I need to talk with Rith one last time. Something’s been bugging me…

To do list:
- Get forges running again. There’s a forgotten beast down there, but Thin Man can deal with those.
- Make better weapons - we have a very good weaponsmith now.
- Complete the Great Stairway. Might need some construction here and there.
- Figure how the fuck OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT works, and what need to be done to complete it.
- Engrave some slabs to take care of the last ghosts.
- Smooth and engrave the graveyard.
- Build fancy tombs for the other rulers.

PS. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM NOKAST SLIME IN CAVERN 2
PPS. Date on 4th of Granite, don’t forget to braid beard and buy expensive plump helmet wine.

The diary ends here.

The Thin Man

Novice
That was great!

I was wondering, didn't refuges stop coming awhile back, or am I confusing another fortress?

Being a veteran sworddwarf is awesome, what's my forgotten monster count, 3?

Krash

Arcane
Migrants aren't part of the world pop so theoretically they'll never stop showing up. However, if your fort is too dangerous they'll keep away for a while.

Your swordsdwarf has three FB kills and one Crundle kill (that one barely counts though, Crundles can easily be wrestled to death by a novice).

ironyuri

Krash said:
Migrants aren't part of the world pop so theoretically they'll never stop showing up. However, if your fort is too dangerous they'll keep away for a while.

Your swordsdwarf has three FB kills and one Crundle kill (that one barely counts though, Crundles can easily be wrestled to death by a novice).

so uh i vote for krash to be in charge for another year

ironyuri

Krash said:
Why don't you take charge for a year? :D I'm supposed to study.

I'm in the middle of a research trip and all I've got to do with my spare time is read the Codex because my netbook doesn't do games :p

i need more good shit bros, help a bro out.

Krash

Arcane
Thanks! If Zdzisiu doesn't show up in a few days, maybe you're up for an update of your own?

Krash

Arcane
Ok, PM'd Zdzisiu, he's busy with uni so we can skip him for now. Looks like it's your turn Garfunkel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom