Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate 2 on Insane (feat. The Codex)

A tiny powergamer portion of me cries seeing the Protection from Magic scroll used where an Undead one would do, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. I like to save those for the Ascension final fight, myself.

I'll vote for the Temple Ruins again. A dragon, but a different dragon. This one drops acid-resistant scales for some odd reason.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Tradeemeet or Firkraag, Firkraag or Trademeet? Truth be told, either will do.

Come to think of it, after facing so many high-end opponents in this update, we'll be needing a change of pace. So no dragons for the moment. Go to Trademeet.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bad news, bros. This LP is now probably cancelled.
When I installed Steam on my netbook (to play Shadowrun Returns), it erased all other files and folders in "C:\Games" directory, including Baldur's Gate 2 folder with all the save games.
:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:vvv

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is still hope. I am trying to recover save game files at the moment. I should know if they work in around ~20 minutes. Hold your thumbs.

EDIT: I also have a copy of the saves, but it is 3 months old, so pretty useless.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Use Shadowkeeper. It won't give back the progress done in quests but it should give back items, exp and etc. And most of the quests can be skipped anyway.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
How things are:

This is how my Games folder looks at the moment:

folder2.jpg

Hey, look there's a Baldur's Gate 2 catalog in there. Let's see what's inside!

folder1.jpg

Not so cool, unfortunately.

My file recovery program sees the lost content of the games folder:

afr.jpg

After recovering BG2 save folder (and copying it to my other PC with BG2 installed), the load game menu in-game looks like this:

Baldr234.jpg

Yeah, it didn't work, and after trying to find single valid files for two hours I am ready to give up.

I don't know if Steam was the cause because I've also recently installed SWAT2 from and old CD on this PC, and uninstalled it after half an hour. Maybe this is at fault here. No idea.

I'm not sure what to do right now. I have some old save files copied, but they are three months old (newest save available is the first part of de'Arnise keep quest). That's a lot of progress lost, including Unseeing Eye quest, and a lot of lich fights, which I really would not like to play through again. I see three possibilities.

1. Play through the quests and resume the LP when I reach the most recent state. This will cause a hiatus, of course.
2. Edit the savegame to reflect current situation (more or less) and continue from there, ignoring the finished quests and assuming them finished. This will cause inaccuracies.
3. Fuck this LP and start some other one. This will cause butthurt.

All these options suck in one way or another and I need to clear my head a bit before choosing one.

Last edited:

JoKa

Cipher
4. cheat yourself invincible, run through the quests you've already done and continue with firkraak. will take a bit of time and effort, but should be faster than 1 and better than 2 (and 3 ofc).

Please continue this LP, it's been a blast the whole time!

Motherfucking steam. Stuff like this is why I refuse to bother myself with this crap (well, that and the fact that until recently I couldn't even get it running on my penguin box).

Do whatever you feel is best, but the (one-man) show must go on!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
2. Edit the savegame to reflect current situation (more or less) and continue from there, ignoring the finished quests and assuming them finished.
Do it, do not crumble. It's not cheat in situations like that one.

This will cause inaccuracies.
On the bright side - if you make Codex stronger - well, he's pretty tough (based on latest updates). If you make him somewhat weaker - then you got some challenge :smug:

Still - how does that gaben-sama desu-malware work? How it erased Games directory? How is that possible? It's some kind of camaping to announce Myth series, with unfamous demo version?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
On the bright side - if you make Codex stronger - well, he's pretty tough (based on latest updates). If you make him somewhat weaker - then you got some challenge :smug:
Encounter at guarded compound has shown that our hero is not so strong after all. You'll see (I'm still posting two remaining recorded updates no matter whether LP will be continued or not).

Still - how does that gaben-sama desu-malware work? How it erased Games directory? How is that possible? It's some kind of camaping to announce Myth series, with unfamous demo version?
I am not sure if it was Steam's fault, but installng Steam (+ SRR) and installing/uninstalling SWAT2 were the only operations I did in the vicinity of Games folder recently. One of them has to be at fault.

Then it was probably the uninstalling of SWAT2 that did it - because it was installed into a custom directory it also took out the entire parent directory as well. Sometimes programmers are just morons. At least you only lost the games directory - once I lost the entire Program Files directory that way.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
2. Edit the savegame to reflect current situation (more or less) and continue from there, ignoring the finished quests and assuming them finished. This will cause inaccuracies.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Edit the savegame etc. Feel free to make codex slightly weaker than he was. We delight in his misery.

grosstraktor

Novice
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i'm with JoKa and Storyfag on this - run the lost crap through on invincible. mustn't take more than an evening or two. abandoning this LP is NOT ACCEPTABLE. NOT. ACCEPTABLE. AT. ALL.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I went with this:
1. Play through the quests and resume the LP when I reach the most recent state. This will cause a hiatus, of course.
Im playing on easy and doing quests in a different order (to save some time). De'Arnise Keep, Mae'Var, Kangaxx and Twisted Rune are done. Unseeing Eye is currently in progress, and I'm leaving Guarded Compound for dessert. With a bit of luck, I should be done by the end of the week. It won't be a 1:1 equivalent of what happened before (RNG is throwing different enemies at me at various points), but it should be close enough.

grosstraktor

Novice
you are the man. i hope you are saving some shots from this rerun and will make some funny mini-update out of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom