Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's quickly look at Don't Starve!

Multi-headed Cow

Since today is Thanksgiving my mission is as follows: Don't Starve!

Going to be doing a mostly blind run (Played a hair to get a handle on controls and saw some videos of the game before playing) and doing a picture and blurb for each in-game day, and possibly bonus pictures if something noteworthy happens like I find all the food.
Instead of doing a let's play with Codexian input, this is just going to me playing and posting how the adventure goes. Main reason I have the game at the moment is a guy gave me a copy so long as I did a little let's play on it, so here I am.

What's the main gist of the game? No idea. Since it's currently in beta I'm not even sure there is an ultimate goal at this point. For the LP the goal will be not dying and exploring, so there's that. The game IS mandatory ironman so death is death.

As usual, here's a link to the game's webpage. http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/

c02qq.jpg

Our protagonist, Wilson! There are apparently 5 playable characters in total, but since I have no idea what I'm doing they're all locked except for Wilson.

6aQ2D.jpg

HTc4i.jpg

LViK8.jpg

PhfIr.jpg

The game is on! First, a quick overview of the GUI. The bar on the lefthand side of the screen lists your crafting recipes. The squares will turn green if you have the materials to make something in that category. Clicking on a category expands the bar and lists the items of that type, which then lists the materials required to make each item.

The bar on the bottom of the screen is your inventory and character sheet. The tan squares on the left are inventory, the gray on the right are equipment slots. The arrow can be clicked to expand the bar and show additional inventory space.

On the upper righthand side of the screen we've got the clock which lists how long you've been alive and the time of day. Yellow is daytime, orange is evening, and dark blue is night. Bad things happen in the night.
Beneath that we've got health and hunger meters. As far as I've seen health doesn't regenerate in any way except when you eat, and healing requires a hell of a lot of food. The hunger meter slowly degrades over time, but I haven't reached a point where bad things come of that so I'm not sure if it starts to hurt you or if you immediately die when it hits empty.
And at the VERY bottom we've got a button for the map.

Finally, in the upper middle of the screen there's the research meter. I've still got 91 points of research from my previous game which apparently carries over to a new world/character.

With all that out of the way, Wilson's first order of business is to run around like an idiot picking up every item on the ground he can find.

rV4mS.jpg

Many a thing was collected, and I make a camp near this weird land bridge. Got a decent enough pile of berries and carrots and enough raw materials to keep me going a while. The plan for tomorrow? More collecting! Chopping down more trees, maybe mining some rocks, setting up a slightly nicer camp. Basic things.

RlSsW.jpg

The world so far!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Heh, cool. Saw some of this game earlier. Dig the style. I think the goal right now is, well, don't starve!

Multi-headed Cow

QGKnr.jpg

Day 2 report, I decided to continue along the edge of the water while I was gathering. Looks like I'm on a small island. I did manage to viciously bludgeon some rabbits with a pickaxe to collect some morsels of meat, though! They'll cook up nicely and keep Wilson reasonably well fed.

TMSYF.jpg

Apart from that, the usual gathering and mapping. I didn't collect enough stone to make a stone circled campfire which is more efficient than a regular campfire, but I did locate a decent supply of stone before it got dark. Since this island seems relatively small and safe I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to grab as many resources here as I can before packing up and heading across the Mystery Bridge. Might not want to build a more permanent camp here after all!

ph4xV.jpg

Updated map of the world! The line through the center was the point when I thought "Oh shit it's almost dark, I gotta haul ass out of here!". Only when I was back at the bridge and had a fire build did I realize there was no reason to run back here to make a camp since I haven't built a firepit or anything. Oh well.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played this game quite a bit. It's pretty good in a simple kind of way but the grind for science points is stupid.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Saw someone play this a bit. Looks potentially interesting, will probably grab it when it goes on a good enough sale.

Multi-headed Cow

6zvxp.jpg

BEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
As it turns out, bees don't like it when you whack their hive with a pickaxe. The more you know! They do eventually get tired of chasing me and go and land on some flowers.

RlmAR.jpg

SPIDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!
As it turns out, spiders don't like it when you whack their hive with a pickaxe either. They also eventually give up the chase.

rpl6B.jpg

Day 3 update, less resource collecting was done than I really wanted since I got distracted by the beehive and the spider nest, but I managed to wrangle more rabbit morsels. I think day 4 is when I'll cross the Mystery Bridge. If things look bad I can easily run back to this island, but the island is fairly well mapped now.

6Vjdv.jpg

Dys27.jpg

Alright... The other side of the Mystery Bridge is swampy! Time to explore!

ivG7X.jpg

TENTACLEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
Turns out tentacles occasionally burst out of the ground and flail around. As far as I can tell they don't move on their own, and if you get near them (But still outside of melee range) there'll be a rumbling and they'll pop up. Didn't get hit by them, but they're something.

I4IHj.jpg

Day 4 is over. New things learned while exploring this island: Frogs are easy to kill and drop delicious frog legs! Spiky trees appear to break apart into twigs and don't provide logs. Reeds, they probably do something! There are ponds scattered around here that I haven't yet found a use for. When I examine them it says I can't see the bottom.

NWXds.jpg

As you can see from the map, there are more spider nests scattered around on this island. And as you might not be able to see on the map, it seems like the edge of the island is all swampland by the center is wooded. I think I'll try to get away from here during day 5. Don't like the feel of this place.

Any sort of survival game with randomly generated environments would be AWESOME played cooperatively.

Even more if it's a bunch of Codexers with deranged personalities.

In fact it would be epic if it was competitive. One person spends the whole day hunting and gathering only to return to camp to find someone who spent his whole day making a sharp stick who plans to kill him.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Thanks a ton for the copy, someone else I'm enjoying it a lot. On day 15 or so so far. I think my starting islands have been kinda lame, no fishing holes yet. Second island was a giant barren rock field. I've figured out some of the nicer food sources now though so I think I'm gonna be good to go for a long time soon. Just hoping I find moar sources of SCIENCE soon, I don't want to have to resort to digging up a billion grass tufts, doing that just feels lame.

Multi-headed Cow

No multiplayer in Don't Starve. At least not yet, but I haven't seen anything saying they intend to add it.

And now, update!

eEBDo.jpg

Zounds, a village of pig men is on the next island I reach! Unfortunately this was one thing I was partially spoiled on. I know that if I feed meat to a pigman he'll follow me around. I find a pig named Tiberius and give him a cooked frog leg. Companionship!
Also of note is Wilson's stylish new beard!

d9tXd.jpg

Day 5 report, the companionship was short lived as he left shortly after nightfall. Haven't got enough food to be constantly feeding him and keeping him happy.
Didn't do much gathering on this island but I explored it pretty well. Got the pig village to the west, a spider nest to the north, and some mysterious gravestones to the east. Rest of the island is almost entirely forest. My food situation's getting a bit low, could definitely stand to find an area with rabbits again. Maybe I should've built a camp back on the first island, it's the only one I've seen with rabbits and a reasonable amount of stone. Still, no turning back now. I'm determined to find a better island to settle! Tomorrow will bring a better island, just you wait!

ZS4me.jpg

Day 6 report, I found a giant grassy island filled with rabbits! I managed to snag 5 of them during my exploring during the day, and I made a fire pit here. All I need now is a good source of stone and I can get down to science! A few beehives on the island but nothing else noteworthy that I've seen. One slight anomaly is that the land bridge I used to reach this island only barely touches it and seems to continue on past it. That'll take some investigating at some point, but I want to check out the rest of this island before I move on.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've been playing this quite a lot (ten hours or so) and my impressions are that it's a great concept but could use a lot more in the way of challenge and content. The content will obviously be forthcoming as it is still in beta (there's another update coming on the 27th) the challenge... who knows. In my ten hours I've only died once and that was pretty much my decision as I had a hunch that eating monster meat took away health in exchange for 'stomach/food' points but ate it anyway and killed myself as I was low on health. After that I've yet to die and am on day 40ish or something.

Once you get up and running it's pretty hard to die unless you intentionally just do something stupid. I'll probably explore a bit more but might set it aside as I've pretty much built all of the useful stuff. A good tip is to go for the log armor as it absorbs a decent amount of punishment allowing you to kill mass spiders/clear out nests. Cooked monster meat = 7 research points and silk = 5 research points. The egg left behind by the nests (unless you want to 'replant' it) yield like 30-50. I agree that the research point grind is pretty tedious as are a lot of the actions like cutting wood and foraging, etc. Obviously that's the central focus of the game but it gets old after awhile. I made a gold axe thinking it would cut trees down faster but it doesn't -- just has a higher durability. Hopefully they add difficulty levels or more challenging biomes/zones/etc. Bottom line though I think it's a pretty neat idea and wish more indie companies would make attempts at stuff like this versus yet another platform puzzler.

Re: Multiplayer -- they basically said they have no plans for it as it doesn't really fit with the isolation/survival experience.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also if anyone is on the fence I would buy it now. It's $12 with preorder discount and you get two copies (a promotion I don't think they'll be doing after release) so effectively it's just $6.

Multi-headed Cow

AkxVp.jpg

Day 7 report from a hungry but content Wilson! Explored more of the island, but this is by FAR the largest island I've found thus far. Even with some vigorous exploration (With additional rabbit hunting) I don't believe I've got even half of it mapped. Still, up to 9 cooked rabbit morsels and a giant pile of carrots. I've taken to using a trap and baiting it with a carrot to catch rabbits, but it seems a bit questionable compared to thumping the rabbits myself. I think I'll probably stop that.
Next day's plan is going to be collect as much stone as I can and continue mapping the island. I saw a few stone sources earlier, so I'll hit those at the very least. I'll probably club any rabbits I happen to wander past too.

EXZof.jpg

Day 8 report, and phew! Made it back to camp. Had to make a torch since I wandered so far away. This island is GIGANTIC. Didn't get any rabbits but I managed more stone, berries, and carrots. Stone I will use...

gUP7U.jpg

For science! Basically a big sciency woodchipper you huck stuff into which gets ground up into science points! Science points I can use to unlock new crafting recipes! Unfortunately nothing I've got seems to give much in the way of research. The one material I know does a decent chunk (Gold) is in scarce supply around here and only comes from mining rocks. Still, it's a start!

UTMr5.jpg

The world map so far. Looks like this is two giant islands smashed together, and it looks like there should be an island somewhere to the south of my camp. For day 9 I think I'll check that out. No sense doing long range exploration on the giant island if there's a new island surely packed with gold nearby!

iGAex.jpg

Tall bird! TALL BIRD! While exploring the new island I found a few of these. They seem to each guard a nest with an egg in it, but I wisely decided to avoid messing with the eggs. For now.

aiBlx.jpg

Day 9 report, and sure enough the new island had a bunch of rocks and gold on it. Damn, I really need to write down desires more. The game's clearly reading what I write and shaping the game world around it! Did a reasonable amount mapping and a whole lot of mining and turned up 5 gold nuggets and a bunch of stone and flint. Also found the mysterious tall birds, and the largest group of spider nests I've seen at once. 7 in one screen's area. Horrifying!
As far as research is concerned, I ground up all the gold I found and researched boards (Turning logs to planks) and a chest (Turning planks to a storage chest). Being able to stash supplies at camp sounds awfully handy since my inventory's getting a little crowded. Will require more wood than I've got at the moment, so I might do some chopping tomorrow.

2ciMs.jpg

For day 10 I think I'll explore the rocky island some more. My food supplies are getting a hair low so I may want to try clubbing some more rabbits soon, or making a run back to the swamp for frog legs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hah, that's a crazy map. Mine was a lot more natural looking without all those land bridges but still had the round appearance. Hopefully that's just beta stuff and they make maps a bit more realistic looking than a series of randomly connected circles.

eklektyk

Erudite
it looks like it can be fairly entertaining....after they throw shitloads of stuff there....till then this LP will have to suficeM:

Multi-headed Cow

Been a while since my last update. In fact, it's been long enough that they've added more content. More info on that over here!
http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/nov-27-update-birds-bees-and-dogs-oh-my/

Alright, my plan for day 10 was to explore the rocky island more, collect food, and chop some wood so I can make a storage chest. Not sure I'll be able to squeeze all that in a single day but I'll take a stab at it!

ycEH8.jpg

Leave me be, tallbird! Turns out tallbirds don't like you hanging around their nests! Don't recall if I got near a nest before the patch or not, but it certainly pisses them off now. It manages to get a peck in before I take off running. Also noteworthy, Wilson's even shaggier beard and the changed inventory interface. The inventory shows everything at once now and can no longer be expanded. Looks like the inventory's 2 spaces smaller now too.

2LSVM.jpg

Day 10 dealt with! Chopped down some trees, made the storage chest, did a very VERY small amount of mapping on Rock Island and mined 5 more chunks of gold to research! I believe the agenda for day 11 will be chopping more trees and rabbits. Maybe on day 12 I'll continue on Rock Island, but I'd like a larger food buffer and having a good stash of logs at camp probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

i7Q8W.jpg

I axe-murdered a turkey! Decent stroke of luck while I was picking berries and axing rabbits, I found a turkey had wedged itself along the coast of the island. A few chops of the axe and it dropped a morsel and a drumstick! No idea how much food a drumstick counts for, but I assume it's good!

LTlSJ.jpg

A reasonable haul for the day. Stocked up on a bunch of berries, got an alright pile of wood, collected 5 meat morsels and a drumstick. That'll do for a while.
I spend a bit of time looking over the research options trying to decide what to research next. A "Logsuit" sounds tempting since it appears to be armor, but I haven't fought many beasties yet and I'm not sure I'd need it. On the other hand that might allow me to fight the tallbirds and spiders for new resources. While looking through the research menu I discover...

e6Hfr.jpg

That the backpack doesn't have to be researched! Stylish additional inventory space here I come! In the end I do the only sensible thing with my research, and...

gy0Ge.jpg

Research and make a straw hat. Even though it doesn't seem to have any actual gameplay impact, if Team Fortress 2 has taught me anything it's that I need hats. Also, good heavens look at the time! I best head out to Rock Island! I'll settle on doing mining today since I've already wasted a bit of daylight adjusting my hat just-so.

gNl5r.jpg

Day 12 is over and a bunch of mining was done. Already ground up all the gold and hit 301 research points! What shocking new hats will I be able to research!? Will I finally research the logsuit and spear and try taking the fight to the spiders? There seem to be quite a few research items that require spider silk. Or will I continue to neglect research and keep exploring? I have no idea! Day 13 will be a mystery!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Take on the spiders!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom