Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Playeth: Arcanum

Qwinn

Scholar
That's not a real problem : you can just not play the goddamn game

Um. If you'll read very carefully, you'll discover that yes, that was my eventual solution.

I didn't post on this thread to get into an argument about it. I just posted (like many other people did) that I never finished Arcanum (for the same reasons many others didn't) and therefore I wouldn't mind a good LP about it.

Fuck you codex

That's not a real problem : you can just not visit the goddamn forum.

Qwinn

Double Ogre

Scholar
Qwinn said:
If I go into a dungeon, it's to clear it out. And clearing out dungeons in Arcanum ain't fun for me.
Then I suppose you can agree that it is your problem, not the game's. Arcanum has many dungeons, but most of them are optional. If you don't enjoy combat, skip them. It's as simple as that.

Qwinn said:
(And please don't bring up "The Wheel Clan dungeon is optional" again - it's a pretty major quest to have to skip for the sake of not wanting another long dungeon slog.
You don't skip any quests, you just skip the monsters. You can convince Randver to show you the secret entrance to his father's hiding place. He opens a hatch under the throne and you get straight to Loghaire. Well, actually you do skip an optional quest of finding a toy train for Vegard Molten Flow, but it isn't significant.

Murk

Arcane
Hey guys, maybe take the argument to another thread so the LP thread can remain relatively clear?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I think it is a worthwhile argument.

What it shows is that completionist tendencies are a huge hindrance in being able to enjoy games.

Part of having fun with a game is accepting that you have to reject an imprudent, unviable, or unfavorable possibility. It's all part of the game's fun - your nose stuck into the dirt, and you not having done all that you set out to do.

And it provides more incentive - I couldn't do this difficult fight because of a crappy build, but someday I'll start the game over with a better party just to beat this.

Completionist tendencies ruin games for alot of people, who end up looting useless items from barrels for no reason other than to keep them, and the must compromise with keeping all the useless stuff and having little inventory space.

1eyedking

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:
I think it is a worthwhile argument.

What it shows is that completionist tendencies are a huge hindrance in being able to enjoy games.

Part of having fun with a game is accepting that you have to reject an imprudent, unviable, or unfavorable possibility. It's all part of the game's fun - your nose stuck into the dirt, and you not having done all that you set out to do.

And it provides more incentive - I couldn't do this difficult fight because of a crappy build, but someday I'll start the game over with a better party just to beat this.

Completionist tendencies ruin games for alot of people, who end up looting useless items from barrels for no reason other than to keep them, and the must compromise with keeping all the useless stuff and having little inventory space.
Trust this guy, I've been there and it's hell.

Games are meant to be played as games and not as checklists.

burrie

Scholar
Ach, for the folks who, apparantly, don't want to see a LP from this bloke, there's a pretty good, verbose, if fan-ficcy Let's Play over at the archives.

Clicky

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ah, yes, I have some fond memories from the BMC mines. First, buy about 600 bullets from all possible shops. Second, go to the mines and fight everything that is non-golemish in a normal way. When golems appear, hit F5 to make the stupid party members do nothing, turn on real time combat and start using shoop and run tactics against the golems. If you are lucky enough, at the end of the dungeon you MIGHT have just about 50 bullets left.

urgh.

also,

sportforredneck said:
Abraham Philip A.G. said:
Wyrmlord said:
I am amused by how Arcanum fans seem to only use Torment as a leverage for showing how Arcanum is better.

It's better than Wizardry, if that's what you're getting at.
wat.

The smoke has begun to clear. The sun now shines brightly upon the forest. I hear wolves howling in the distance, perhaps lonely, perhaps hungry.

I decide to head straight for the mountain pass leading to Shrouded Hills. Bodies are strewn all over the wreckage. There is no sign of life. It seems that I truly am the lone survivor of the crash.

2woman.jpg

I pocket the note. Perhaps I will meet this 'Jared' upon arriving to Tarant and tell him of the whereabouts of his Wilhemina.

I continue walking towards the mountain pass. The day wears on. I come across an angry boar, it grunts and stares at me. Two wolves stalk nearby watching. I call an Araya slave from the depths of The Void and enter battle.

2copyt.gif

The wild animals are easily taken care of.

I dismiss my Araya and continue on my path. I walk for hours and finally reach the mountain wall. Now I just need to follow along the way until I reach an opening. How far away it is, I am unsure.

2smallplane.jpg

There is a plaque on the machine. It says: "Maxim Machinery, Caladon". I write this down in my journal, perhaps it will be useful later.

The sun set, and the forest is now quiet. It is odd, even the howling of wolves now seems distant. I feel a strange magick in the air around me. I creep slowly towards the source..

2kitefight.jpg

Power surges through my entire body, as I look down at my slain enemy. The pain in my head has vanished completely.

2levelup.jpg

I remember a spell that I learned while in the company of the Elves. A spell to heal light wounds. I had never been able to fully master the technique, but now... I feel different.

2minorheal.jpg

I attempt to cast the healing magick upon myself, and it seems to work. Cuts begin to heal, and bruises begin to fade.

Looking in the distance I can see the mountain pass. It is no more than a five minute walk from my current position.

2shrine.jpg

I am disinterested in the shrine. Being raised with Elves, I have learned that Human-kind is prone to inventing all kinds of deities and spirits to explain that which they do not understand.

I continue through the narrow pass. I pass by an elf who is sitting on one of the rocks. He notices me and jumps up.

2assassindialog.jpg

Having grown up with Elves, I know their mannerisms perfectly. I knew that this Elf was going to attack me five minutes before it happened.

2assasinfirsthit1.jpg

In the blink of an eye, my blade was unsheathed and a Void Lizard by my side. The Elf did not have time to finish raising his fist before I slashed downward upon his face. Blood splattered onto my robes as he screamed in pain and fell to the floor.

2assasinfirsthit2.jpg

My lizard minion snapped its jaws and tore the assassins arm clean off, as I poised for another strike. This time my sword cut into his chest and punctured his heart.

2dedmed.jpg

lordfrikk

Scholar
I really like the style you chose to present your progress, and even though I finished the game myself several times, this seems interesting. I hope you'll have the energy to see this LP through to the end :)

Cloaked­­ Figure said:
lol this lp sucks

Yay, constructive criticism! :roll:

wrathofdog

Scholar
Your character is so mean to everyone; it's no wonder they're all trying to kill you.

Vibalist

Arcane
This is cool for someone like me who never got far in Arcanum. Good work, hope ya keep it up.

Fenril

Scholar
Considering the amount of content in arcanum and the pace this thread has the potential to become the longest in codexian AND rpgnerd forums in general history.

Helton

Arcane
Hey not bad CF I like it a lot. Better than playing it, almost. I like how you've given more weight to the encounters thus far, turning it into a solid narrative instead of a random exploration of roughly square-shaped area.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It might turn into one of the best lps ever, you just have to keep it up - which won't be that easy with the amount of screenshots and text you're providing.

Try hard to keep up this good work, sir!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom