Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: XCOM + Classic + Iron-Man OR: Reserve Your Corpse's Name!

Zeriel

Arcane
Oops! Meant to put it in there somewhere, but thanks to Whiskey Wolf's LP for the hilarious images of our brave Commander. Also, I'm willing to field questions about the game throughout this thread if anyone wonders how stuff works. Prolly won't be a lot of that since I'm weaving it into the posts, but there you go.

Also, here's the Second Wave options I picked for anyone who cares (i.e, no one) Cleve:

THBqY.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
wYBZO.jpg

Hammond! :incline: (until they stretched Stargate so much it wasn't funny anymore). Rance is the Commander? Poor aliens, they never had a chance to win...

The grenade damaged the fire, setting it on fire.

o_O You mean car, perhaps?

Zeriel

Arcane
Good catch. I should probably give it the edit comb-over one more time, there's bound to be one or two more typoes.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What the hey. Let me die for the cause, preferably in a grisly fashion. :salute:

Azira, male, scandinavian (are there Danes in the game, if so, find me one).
Whatever class, I'm not picky.

Zeriel

Arcane
Also, I liked Stargate even in the final season. I could have stomached more seasons. The cast made that show--which was demonstrated by Atlantis, which was total garbage despite a fresher conceit and storyline, and Universe, which was the juice you squeeze out of really old garbage.

Zeriel

Arcane
I have two missions worth of stuff to package together into updates, but before I did that I thought I'd mention two things that came up:

#1, I won't be able to make each of you have specific nationalities. Races are fine (you'll still be european or asian or whatever you listed as wanting), but the nation units are from is random, and rolling new recruits and training them up until you get squaddies of the exact right class & nationality in one would take forever. Sorry! The good news is nationality has zero effect other than a flag on the character screen, and a tiny flag on the back neck of the armor.

#2, Marathon (the Second Wave setting) is way more weighty of an option than I first thought. To give one example, it changes the amount of time it takes one early research option to complete from a few days to nearly a month. This makes a lot of my developement strategies take a lot more time. I'm not sure whether this will up the difficulty a ton just yet--if Marathon just makes all my stuff take longer but the aliens progress at the same rate, this is going to be way more "interesting" than usual. Like fighting tech 3 tiers ahead of me for months at a time before I get non-starter weapons interesting. We'll see! Also, if Marathon ends up making the game as long as I think it will, I'll probably start not documenting every tiny mission in excruciating detail after the first few, just including the highlights.

#3, THERE IS NO NUMBER 3. WE GO ON TO NEXT UPDATE.

Zeriel

Arcane
Update 2: Operation Red Chant
OPERATION RED CHANT
When last we left our intrepid heroes, they were on the way back to XCOM HQ, fresh from a stellar success on their first mission. Extraterrestrials died, man! It doesn't get any better than that. On the way back to base, Commander Rancington regales the redshirts with tales of his hyper-weapon.
fH41Q.jpg
"And then I made my slave--of course I have a slave! You don't have a slave?! Wahahahah! Poor man. No wonder you're only a foot soldier."
BOD8g.jpg
6yQbo.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
Welcome to XCOM HQ, Commander. I'm Central Officer Bradford. My role in this project is twofold--providing tactical support for our field operations, and keeping you briefed on the current situation. My efforts should allow you to focus on the bigger issues at hand. Speaking of which, we have a soldier waiting for promotion in the Barracks. I'll let you get to it.
ZX0b4.jpg
Mmm. A gentle, feminine warrior in need of my guiding touch. Say no more.
D8O06.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
You're... a man.
8745.jpg
Sorry?
ZX0b4.jpg
It can't be helped it. Can it? I have a potion--no, I'm guessing by your sudden and stoic silence that you prefer your current, hideous form. Oh well.
Km77l.jpg
Another member of our growing squad. The "." is unfortunately necessary. Every soldier has to have a first and last name. The last name is the only one displayed in the tactical combat section of the game. If you only submitted a single name and want a first one too, just let me know.
pku1m.jpg
Our own personal Simo Häyhä.
gCBPh.jpg
Paging Commander Rance. Commander to the science labs.
JHAzZ.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
Hello, Commander. My name is Dr. Vahlen. I oversee the Research Labs. This is where all of XCOM's research and development takes place. We have already begun analyzing the artifacts recovered from our first encounter with the aliens. Based on our preliminary findings, we believe we can use them to develop some new equipment for our soldiers. With your approval, we will begin research immediately.
ZX0b4.jpg
NOTHING! I approve nothing. Stop everything at once. This place is wrong. Look at all these cold, metal devices. They reek of evil and wrongness! What good could come of such deviousness?!
gCBPh.jpg
Ah... we could research the materials the aliens use in their technology? It could possibly help us defend our own troops, once we understand it.
ZX0b4.jpg
New armor? VIVA LA EVIL! Everything is forgiven. Except all the large words that hurt my head. Report to my quarters tonight for punishment.
gCBPh.jpg
Ummm...
1xKeC.jpg
Usually, Alien Materials would only take about a week to research, instead of over 3. Marathon is starting to rear its head. I've also noticed that the price of even our first satelite is about twice as much as usual.
NgUJQ.jpg

We decide to visit engineering while we're faffing about.
IweYH.jpg
Ah, Commander. I was wondering when you'd be stopping by. Welcome to Engineering. Anything they can dream up in the Research Labs, we can build it here.
uWrpL.jpg
ANYTHING?!
IweYH.jpg
Well, within reason.
uWrpL.jpg
How about... a machine gun that shoots swords?
IweYH.jpg
No. Absolutely not. That's impossible.
uWrpL.jpg
A shotgun that shoots swords?
IweYH.jpg
No.
uWrpL.jpg
A pistol?
IweYH.jpg
... Nope.
ZX0b4.jpg
Your negativity is dragging me down. I'm out of here.
dh4UQ.jpg
This is the geoscape screen. Clicking the 'Scan for Activity' button fast forwards time until alien activity of some kind happens. Early game, this is almost immediate.
yvQFa.jpg
Tada!
7xgNX.jpg
NNJ5y.jpg
Time passes as your Skyranger flies to the destination, and you have the option to abort the mission before you land once you reach the site. Say, if you brought the wrong squaddies or didn't equip the right weapons & armor.
K6avn.jpg
CJjS9.jpg
Operation Red Chant. Commence! This ends up being the subway map, which is one of the more "interesting" (read: flank-happy) maps in the game. It can be disastrous early game if you overextend yourself. Let's see what happens!
03TfF.jpg
7Zkza.jpg
VP8ch.jpg
Our squad moves up to the first cover spot, and hears some aliens nearby. That's what the orange-yellow VFX represents. Enemies moving around outside of your LoS can be heard if you're close enough, and there are unique noises for each enemy type you can learn to identify if you pay close attention.
FNEpZ.jpg
We move forward a little more, and just barely sight a group of sectoids, who scatter back into the darkness. Being brave defenders of the planet earth, we do the proper thing: hunker down in overwatch until they show their ugly mugs.
MboHZ.jpg
They take the bait, and eat HOT, DEADLY LEAD! Er, wait. We missed our overwatch shot. Twice. Tigranes has an excuse for whiffing (he's using a shotgun, which has zero accuracy beyond a short range), but the rookie is going to get yelled at by Rance later.
bHKFm.jpg
Whiskey misses his overwatch shot, too. We can only hope these are squaddie jitters that will be fixed by a metric fuckton of medals on their uniform. The sectoid decides to spend his turn taking a pot shot at us in full cover, while he sits flanked in the open. He misses.
VUHdc.jpg
Ulminati! He's got this. Flanked sniper shot. Show 'em how it's done, boss.
jbb0u.jpg
That's not how it's done.
fcgxR.jpg
The next squaddie takes care of business.
guW43.jpg
There's another sectoid hiding in the fog of war, so we keep advancing to the next full cover. They blast out the cover we're in (plasma weapons which aliens use are much more likely to randomly destroy terrain than the conventional boomsticks we've got), but thankfully miss.
hTlPQ.jpg
Ulminati gets another attempt at a good shot, but whiffs it again. He's not alone--everyone else does too, and rather than have Tigranes risk an equally likely miss, I decide to end the turn with a frag grenade so the sectoid doesn't get a chance to melt our faces off. Incidentally, this is a good reason to close (staying in cover, of course) rather than fighting at maximum range. Grenades have a fairly short range, and if I hadn't been close enough to throw a frag, I would have been left with all bad choices there.
ucgy9.jpg
Rather than split up to explore this fairly open map, I decide to have the entire team move back to the start, then step over to sweep up from the bottom of the subway tracks.
JiGT7.jpg
Not splitting up? Officially good idea. More sectoids over here.
VHpuf.jpg
Our rookie redeems herself by landing a reaction shot. Doesn't kill him, though.
Uhjhi.jpg
Whiskey finishes him off, rambo style.
APdU7.jpg
The other sectoid lands a hit, but we luck out (like, seriously lucked out, this could have almost killed her) and it only does one damage to our rookie.
2g8sg.jpg
Knowing the sectoid is on higher elevation from us and hence has increased aim, we try to outsmart the AI by hunkering down with both of our squaddies in range. Hunkering down increases their cover, making both of them a full shield. We figure we'll finish him off next turn after he gets a miss on our full cover.
geqa6.jpg
...and the sectoid just rushes up into range of someone with way less cover, and pops them. Whiskey takes one on the chin, and is fairly low on health. Another similar shot would kill him.
Ws0Im.jpg
After our entire squad takes turns missing the enemy, Whiskey gets pissed and fires off a rocket, turning the sectoid into melty bits. Note Tigranes a few feet shy of the explosion. That's the sort of majestic aim you get with a rocket launcher.
LPTcD.jpg
It's a wrap! Whiskey is wounded by the damage he took in battle, and won't be available to go into battle until he recovers. Normally the amount of damage he took would heal in a day or two, but Marathon says FUCK DAT, YOUR LEG IS ALL BLOWN OFF AND SHIT.
Meanwhile, back at base...
ZX0b4.jpg
Excellent work out there, Whiskey. A mighty sorceror such as yourself should heal quickly.
8745.jpg
Sorceror?
ZX0b4.jpg
Don't be sly. I saw you cast fireball back there. It was glorious!
8745.jpg
OPERATION RED CHANT ENDS.
Next time: XCOM intercepts its first UFO, and touches down at the crash site. Some new rookies earn their chops the old-fashioned way: blowing alien heads clean off their shoulders.

Zeriel

Arcane
He had modern combat armor! Pussies. In Rance's day, you went into battle armed with nothing but your hyper-weapon.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Or a pee shooter, in Rances case.

Also, you may want to put spoiler tags around updates with lots of pictures. Makes the page load faster once you got multiple updates on the page.

Zeriel

Arcane
Or a pee shooter, in Rances case.

Also, you may want to put spoiler tags around updates with lots of pictures. Makes the page load faster once you got multiple updates on the page.

I was noticing this from other LPs, but I was in too much of a hurry to share Rance's idea for a machine gun that shoots swords. I'll use spoiler tags for future updates.

Better yet, we bump this up so there's only one update per page.

A cunning plan.

:rage:

POPAMOLECOM :x

Sign me up as Hellraiser - Assault, just NO FUCKING SHOTGUNS, I prefer to have more DAKKA from the assault rifle.

I am with you all the way, man. The next update will explain my total loathing for shotguns, even on assaults.

Our own personal Simo Häyhä.

He would not be caught dead using such a pop-a-mole weapon, iron sights for the win.

Yeah, I actually think a lot of the weapons in the game look quite cool. Laser weapons especially have neat effects which we'll see eventually. But there's no excuse for that sniper rifle, not sure what they were thinking with the scope, it's literally bigger than some entire rifles.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The scope is so big it blocks LoS. That's why I missed :P

You know what must be done. Research better gunz for me asap.

Zeriel

Arcane
The scope is so big it blocks LoS. That's why I missed :P

You know what must be done. Research better gunz for me asap.

I almost mentioned this: it's insane how the later, way more advanced guns that include a MINIATURE PLASMA REACTOR (???) actually look more small and streamlined than this boomstick. On another note that needs to be emphasized, it's going to be a while until we see good tech. On Marathon, research times are insanely balooned, while it looks like the rate at which the alien tech advances (i.e we see their more dangerous units) still goes at the normal pace. This will be fun, and lots of people will die. I am looking forward to it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Just gotta get the upgrade that lets me use other peoples LoS, then hide in the furthest corner of the map.
Let others do the dyin' for meh :smug:

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Alright, i'll sign up for the meatgrinder :salute:

Doc Redscum, Male, Scandinavian (Swedish if possible) and i'll go with support if possible, does not matter really. Pick what you need for the team :)

Captain Shrek

I don't know guys, the game seems too easy (on the combat map) if you use the explosives too often.

Modron

Arcane
I don't know guys, the game seems too easy (on the combat map) if you use the explosives too often.

While explosions are nice and all specially in the beginning, overuse can kind of screw you over if you want to arm your squad with all the coolest gadgets plus the damage does not really keep up with snipers or assault classes.

Also I don't get the shotgun hate, a nice assault plus alloy cannon takes down berzerkers and sectopods like crazy. Yeah early iterations of shotguns are somewhat lackluster but they are still useful specially when you choose the ability that lets assault get a reaction shot against units that enter 4 tiles in range. Assault plus run and gun and that two shot ability led to my assault guy having as many kills as my sniper with squadsight even though I really only used him half as much.

Zeriel

Arcane
Shotguns suffer from the same deficiency as snipers in general--they only open up into overpowered powerhouses late-game. Assaults are indispensable for their tankiness (immunity to critical hit) and tactical flexibility, but shotguns infringe on that tactical flexibility. I far prefer them with assault rifles until the alloy cannon is available, and there are some situations even at end-game where alloy cannon bites you in the ass (like point-blanking a muton elite, and still missing because of the innate defense bonuses they get). Also, the shotgun requires an extra research over just normal rifles for any tech tier, so that limits its usefulness even more.

I'm not saying you can't make good use of them, I'm saying they have a huge opportunity cost, and are all about gambling. Since I only ever play on iron-man, reliability and range are way more appealing to me.

This is something I should probably talk about more, as it's been something passing through my mind as I put together this LP. I think the feeling people get from watching what happens is that the game is way too easy, when any given situation could easily go the other way with one thing changing. XCOM is a very binary game with the tactical combat. Either you're stomping the aliens into the ground effortlessly, or they're one-shotting you left and right and you're crying over the bodybags.

I'll give an example: I had a scripted council mission a few steps ahead of where the LP is at that I was very worried about. It's a bomb defusal mission that forces you to rush ahead instead of playing things safely, which can be bad news early-game with low tech. My rushing gambles went surprisingly well, though, and I got to the very end with zero damage taken. I got cocky in the very last turn, made some sloppy decisions, and half my team evaporated in plasma. One of the things I don't like about the new XCOM, though, is that it encourages you to never, ever fuck up. The smaller squad sizes and inability to throw 20 rookies at any given mission means that you just ensure you have one super-mega team that never fucks up a single time, which, while actually very fun to play (reaching the point where you literally never, ever make a mistake throughout a 100-mission game is very satisfying), strikes me as a little boring to watch as an observer.

The good news is Marathon really prolongs the early game where we lack the tech and high-level squaddie abilities to control the way combat pans out. I think one of the fun things about an LP is we can be less anal, and embrace dozens of people dying, or even put ourselves into positions that cause casualties. Especially since we have a backlog of people wanting to be customized squaddies!

Bring on the slaughter.

Captain Shrek

Zeriel

I disagree about the diffusal mission btw. It can done almost leisurely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom