Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play VtM: Wild Nights - Chapter 10

wjw

Augur
Hum... hum hum... let's investigate movement of the mind.

Esquilax

Arcane
Much love for this awesomeness, grotbro. And you even included a Tony cameo!

:love:

Bishop Dubrik, as usual, has something interesting to say:

Dubrik said:
“Don’t fight your own blood. You Tremere are all about the head, so you think you can beat it with logic and reasoning and so on. Won’t work. So don’t try to hurt Eames – don’t think of yourself as hurting Eames. Get close to her; give in to the obsession of the blood. Notice every little detail about her, try to spend as much time with her as you can, hang on her every word. And she’ll understand that it’s the blood bond working its magic over you. She’ll think she’s in control.”

Apparently, we're blood bound to Eames. Fanfuckingtastic. We need to get her to really trust us so that we're the last person anyone will suspect. We need to be a real ass-kisser here. I would suggest investigating this Docklands info as it sounds incredibly suspicious. My take on it is that Eames is looking for a place to hold Hob away from prying Camarilla eyes, while simultaneously duping the Giovanni into thinking that her property purchases on their territory are nothing out of the ordinary. That's probably why we heard "...Giovanni won't fall for it" in the background.

I suppose we can ask Argyll about it later, but we'd need to do it in such a way without drawing suspicion. But even he finds it a bit strange that he's been sent to do such an apparently mundane task, so perhaps he'll be forthcoming with info. Then again, investigating this now might mean he'll owe us a favour in the future, and you can never have enough of those. We'll also be able to share something more substantial with the Bishop tomorrow if we follow up the Docklands info.

I'd advise us not to get involved in combative Thaumaturgy at the moment. If we are fighting, then it means that our cover has been blown and we've fucked up, and it shouldn't come to that. The magic we learn should be the kind that allows us to blend in and operate without being noticed. Opening doors and books without getting our fingerprints on them or anyone seeing us is very useful skill for a spy like Joan. Telekinesis is a wise investment here:

Movement of the Mind said:
The ability to move something without touching it is very powerful indeed. Many novel applications can be used by a clever thaumaturge; such as grabbing something that is out of reach, using an item that the thaumaturge does not wish to touch themselves, or (in the case where the thaumaturge is particularly powerful in this path) to lift something they could not lift themselves.

However, investigating the layout of the Chantry is also tempting. We may run into a few secret doors and passages, and who knows what kind of juicy info is bound to be lying around? Ideally, I'd work my way up the organization and gain access to secret areas that way, but who the fuck knows when that's going to happen, especially in a rigid Clan structure like the Tremere? Taking a few risks will be necessary; dilly-dally too long, and a cold motherfucker like Dubrik will simply dispose of us.

On that note, I vote C, however.

ironyuri

Esquilax and I seem rarely to disagree, however, having given people some time to make arguments, I feel I'll throw my weight behind the Docklands papers.

I vote: C

Argyll doesn't sound keen to do the work, if we do it for him, he'll owe us a favour. Alternatively, we can later use him as a fall guy or scapegoat if anything goes wrong and we have dirt on him.

Secondly, Earnes wants the work done. We found out second hand that Earnes, to whom we're bonded (I'm assuming we're meant to be bonded to Earnes, but thanks to Dubrik we have avoided it and have free will, therefore we must act as if we are bonded), wants these leaseholds. We want to please Earnes and show her our worth. We want to show her we love her and will do whatever it takes to please her. Find the papers, prove our loyalty.

Maybe the leaseholds information will be of interest to Dubrik as well. Perhaps the Sabbat will want to know what the London Tremere have stashed away in the docklands? It's a task which will please Earnes and info (Docklands warehouses/aaddresses/etc) we can get to Dubrik in order to keep him happy.

It's win / win. If we use our free time to develop ourselves so early, it's time we won't be using to enhance our long-term goals. Finding out the layout of the Chantry is, however, a secondary goal as I see it. It's information we can use, but I think ingratiating ourselves with Earnes should be a primary goal. It ensures our survival and promotion.

Also, Earnes may teach us one of the thaumaturgical paths as a reward for services rendered, if we do this right, rather than having to spend the time ourselves.

Noticed a new play is starting, so I decided to offer some of my (bad) ideas again.

Many interesting options, but I'm voting F for Weather Control. Even a single point here would give us control over cloud cover / fog in a several kilometer radius. This could come handy if we go sneaking about London for some reason. Movement of the mind is also a very useful path to have, so that is my second choice.

This is a very dangerous position we are in. If all we were interested is leaving the pyramid, it would be much (well, relatively) safer to just go anarch - anarch Tremere are at least tolerated (as long as they stay low profile and never, ever teach thaumaturgy to anyone). Actually defecting to Sabat is a much more dangerous game - a large portion of the Sabbat hates our guts simply because we are Tremere, and once we try vaulderie (and we will be forced to do it if we join Sabbat), we cannot go back. This is not going to end well for us.

Esquilax said:
Apparently, we're blood bound to Eames. Fanfuckingtastic.
We can't be. Blood bonding another Tremere is strictly off limits for all Tremere. We could be blood bound to the Council of Seven, but I doubt it. First, that kind of thing is reserved as a punishment for a serious transgression. Second, if that is the case, then how the hell can we even contemplate treachery against the clan? And we couldn't have participated in a vaulderie, because that would put a mark of the betrayer on us. No, it is likely we are in the default Tremere neonate position - partially blood bound to the Council (which in practical terms means vulnerability to dominate from Tremere elders).

grotsnik

Arcane
Zero's back! And yeah, it's just the standard partial blood bond. That could probably have been explained better.

In other news, Sean Bean was apparently stabbed in Camden on Sunday, though not in the bits of Camden where people usually get stabbed - just a ten-minute walk from Anthony's house, in fact.

Kz3r0

Arcane
H
Fighting disciplines are useless for us, unless you are hoping to find a book explaining how to become an Antediluvian in one week.
And Argyll will gladly tell us all we want to know about the Docklands.
More importantly, grotsnick hinted more than once that the chantries, their disposal and architecture, are the key.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
grotsnik said:
Zero's back! And yeah, it's just the standard partial blood bond. That could probably have been explained better.

In other news, Sean Bean was apparently stabbed in Camden on Sunday, though not in the bits of Camden where people usually get stabbed - just a ten-minute walk from Anthony's house, in fact.

"Declining a trip to hospital Sean Bean went back into the pub and ordered another drink."
:thumbsup:

Decided to go for H .

Knowledge is power and knowing our very surroundings could in the end prove much more valuable than any magic trick.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'll go with ironyuri on C).

And I have a question regarding Thaumaturgy...Does it leave "imprints" or similar stuff (like a Mage's resonance) that can help other Tremere identify the person using the magic? Like, let's say we use telekinesis and lift some documents on Eames office to avoid leaving fingerprints, could she detect who tampered with it?

Excidium said:
I'll go with ironyuri on C).

And I have a question regarding Thaumaturgy...Does it leave "imprints" or similar stuff (like a Mage's resonance) that can help other Tremere identify the person using the magic? Like, let's say we use telekinesis and lift some documents on Eames office to avoid leaving fingerprints, could she detect who tampered with it?
I can't recall if the rules as written say anything about it, though considering how open-ended the Discipline is, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some rituals that allow such a thing to happen. There might even be a path for it; there are so many of them that it's not too improbable.

Anyway, I think I'll settle on H, myself. Much as I like Movement of the Mind (and it seems rather popular--the dreadfully dull Lure of Flames usually is), I'm not sure there's much point in pursuing it at this point, though it does have non-martial applications as well (it's actually one of the more versatile ones if you're clever). But then... one might wonder what use we'll be to Dubrik if we don't know very much Thaumaturgy; we can't self-learn it (at least by the default rules, if memory serves).

So that's H, though I might shift to E if it seems like a good idea.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I once went to London(first and only), stayed 10 days or so and it rained for a week. it was end of the july!!!

Code:
WEATHER CONTROL (Path:Tremere)

This path is the Tremere path of weather magic, allowing forecasting
      and control of the weather.
    The powers this path offers are believed to be roughly as follows (less
      accurately as the power level increases):
    *	The power to predict weather
    **	The power to summon fog
    ***	The power to summon wind or rain
    ****	The power to control weather, city-wide
    *****	The power to summon lightning, hurricanes, blizzards, etc

I've found the city depressing and gloomy , the sky and the river and the background were shades of grey and brown just the way I like. more of this would definitely be welcome, I want my story dark and gritty until something AWESOME happens.

ironyuri

golgepapaz said:
I once went to London(first and only), stayed 10 days or so and it rained for a week. it was end of the july!!!

Code:
WEATHER CONTROL (Path:Tremere)

This path is the Tremere path of weather magic, allowing forecasting
      and control of the weather.
    The powers this path offers are believed to be roughly as follows (less
      accurately as the power level increases):
    *	The power to predict weather
    **	The power to summon fog
    ***	The power to summon wind or rain
    ****	The power to control weather, city-wide
    *****	The power to summon lightning, hurricanes, blizzards, etc

I've found the city depressing and gloomy , the sky and the river and the background were shades of grey and brown just the way I like. more of this would definitely be welcome, I want my story dark and gritty until something AWESOME happens.

* The power to predict weather

Great. If this spy shit doesn't work out, maybe Dubrik can get us a job as the first Tremere weather-woman in Liverpool.

I have no idea where that description above came from. It's not close to that powerful. For one, it also affects an area of only 3-4 miles in diameter, so it's not like you can change an entire city's weather patterns.

Anyway, a more accurate outline would be (note that it's just a guide, and you can substitute equivalent powers at each level):
1. Fog, light breeze, minor temperature change
2. Rain or snow
3. High winds, moderate temperature change
4. Storm (rain + high winds)
5. Lightning strike

The difficulty is also modified by the current weather and your successes indicate how long it takes to go into effect. So... you aren't going to be calling out a bolt from the blue to go smiting anyone, like ever.

oscar

Arcane
I think I'll go with E. Telekinesis seems a very useful skill to have. Could someone explain what is meant by 'ward'?

G sounds highly dangerous, but who would suspect a fellow Tremere of secretly wanting to join the Sabbat? We could get away with it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Awesome as usual Grotsnik :bro:

And we are a woman this time :bro: :bro:

We are a fucking spy, so combat disciplines are out. If you are fighting you've failed horribly.

And top priority of a spy is getting out safely, yo. You get in, gather info, then you get out.

That's why investigate the Chantry sounds great. You need to know the place well for both snooping around and running away.

Beside, if get caught, explaining why you are poking your nose around the Chantry gotta be easier than anything else. IF nothing else, you can always claim you are curious about the place and get bored of your own cell.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
laclongquan said:
And we are a woman this time :bro: :bro:
But are we hot?

oscar said:
I think I'll go with E. Telekinesis seems a very useful skill to have. Could someone explain what is meant by 'ward'?
From what I understand wards are rituals cast upon a location or object to prevent intrusion by a chosen type of creature.

Breaking Axe

Educated
Agh, no idea what to vote in this instance,I'm essentially for sale here. Will continue reading, and see if any argument sways me.

Esquilax

Arcane
oscar said:

G sounds highly dangerous, but who would suspect a fellow Tremere of secretly wanting to join the Sabbat? We could get away with it.

A ward is a magical barrier. Could be useful to prevent people from snooping into our shit.

We could get away with it... for now. After all, the Gargoyle watching the Library is nowhere to be seen. But they'll probably notice something is amiss - a book like that is forbidden and they'll notice that it's likely been used. There is no privacy, I hate this fucking place already. Unfortunately, fellow Tremere are probably the first people that would suspect a fellow Tremere; this is a clan that polices itself ruthlessly to the point where it has killed of its entire antitribu counterpart. Joan is in incredibly deep shit here.

A few thoughts:

Eames leans back in her black leather chair.

“Joan,” she says, briskly. “You have the Viennese papers?”

You pass across your sheaf of papers. She takes it, tosses it down on the desk, and returns to her writing.

“You can go,” she adds, after a couple of seconds.

You turn, and leave her without a word, your gaze lingering on the heavy fireplace in the corner of the room.

I noticed the way that Eames was treating us. In her eyes we're barely an afterthought, and that is unacceptable. We need a way to stand out from the packs of other apprentices and gain her notice, show that we'll do anything to aid her so that she confides in us. And I think the best start for that is to show initiative by investigating the Docklands leaseholds and taking care of that for her. Of course, we'll pass along any info we find tomorrow when we talk to the Bishop.

I think that Joan will be a far more effective spy hiding in plain sight than she will be finding hidden areas and sneaking around. Let's be real: she's a bookworm, not some Nossie master infiltrator. This place is watched very carefully by ghouls, Gargoyles and our fellow apprentices, so I think it is probably wiser to move up in rank by sucking up to Eames and gain access to all those secret areas legitimately. We should rely on blending in rather than sneaking around whenever we can help it.

Yuri has swayed me once again and I believe we will succeed in our mission by hiding in plain sight, so on that note I will flip-flop to C

Last thing: Argyll mentioned an individual named Fowlesworth. He resents Eames' success because all of his fellow apprentices have moved on to better things while he languishes, and as a result, he gets to do all of the drudge work. This seems like the perfect person to frame if we start catching any suspicion from our colleagues. I say we take our manuscript, then plant it inside his room, perhaps placing a ward on it. Then, we confide in Eames that we saw Fowlesworth tucking away a note he was writing and being secretive. When the manuscript is uncovered, everyone will figure he was the one who wrote it because he has the most reason out of anyone in the Chantry to work against the Clan. We'll do this once Eames begins to trust us more.

@ Excidium: She's probably not especially attractive. Joan is likely a plain-looking, bookish girl, not some Toreador seductress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom