Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Ultima IX!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ultima IX: Yew, the city for great Justice!

I make my way back to the castle to speak with Lord Br...
UIXSS002.jpg

Well, he is not here. Also Vasagralem is absent as well. I decide to look around and finally find him upstairs taking a shit. Or doing Yoga. I have no idea what the fuck he is doing. Lets talk to him!
UIXSS003.jpg

I ask him to open the passage to Yew...
UIXSS006.jpg

I also ask him if he has any developing news to tell me...
UIXSS012.jpg

Holy Shit!
UIXSS014.jpg

I quickly conclude this would be a bad thing.
UIXSS015.jpg

Anyways, I run quickly away from the shitting LB, and make my way to the cave!
UIXSS030.jpg

Filled with goblins!
UIXSS031.jpg

I finally make my way out after fighting more giant gold dropping spiders!
UIXSS033.jpg

Apparently, they have built some new city since I was here last.
UIXSS035.jpg

I run into more goblins along the way. This guy at first seemed to want to attack me, but now he just wants to stand next to this tree pondering the the great mysteries of life, or something. I kill him and move on.
UIXSS036.jpg

I continue to fight more gold dropping rats, spider, pirates and come across the plant of instant killing! This thing will kill me in seconds. Let's run away!
UIXSS048.jpg

I finally make my way to the entrance of Yew! At the near by bridge I meet this guy.
UIXSS051.jpg

It's about time! Finally some justice for those Silver Serpent stealing, Slavers!
UIXSS052.jpg

Speaking to him further I discover my BFF Raven is on trial for Murder! OH NOES! What horrible injustice has been brought to my fair city!

I speak to more people in the city...
UIXSS061.jpg

I introduce my self as the Avatar...
UIXSS069.jpg

All this injustice is going to drive me to drink! I head to the local bar...
UIXSS083.jpg

UIXSS086.jpg

I tell her to shove that paper up her ass.
UIXSS087.jpg

I next head to the local Provisioner who tells me more of my BFF!
UIXSS095.jpg

I next meet this accusatory farmer who thinks I stole his pumpkins!
UIXSS113.jpg

Up next, I meet the local boyer...
UIXSS117.jpg

Who is able to train me a new shot with my Bow!
UIXSS124.jpg

I decide I should head to this great trial of injustice! I must save my BFF Raven!
UIXSS127.jpg

Binary

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
Ultima IX: Yew, the city for great Justice!

Somebody set up us the Avatar?

BTW IIRC the Jean Paul character was a gift from Garriot to the (at the time) biggest Ultima collector who had supplied a few Ultimas that Garriot didn't have himself. I can't remember the guy's real or Dragon name, I think he gave up on collecting soon after

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Chapter 10: Injustice within the City of Justice

Our Avatar filled with much trepidation, heads to the Court of Justice. What horrors of injustice shall she witness?
UIXSS001.jpg

Some guy named Jean Paul, a tavern owner, on trial...
UIXSS006.jpg

Wow! Remind me never to open up a bar in Yew, when there is a corrupted shrine and giant columns near by...
UIXSS009.jpg

Up next...
UIXSS011.jpg

Ahh, my good friend Vasagralem...
UIXSS012.jpg

What the fuck!?!?
UIXSS014.jpg

UIXSS015.jpg

UIXSS019.jpg

Excuse me but...
UIXSS020.jpg

UIXSS021.jpg

UIXSS022.jpg

My BFF Raven, knowing there is no justice to be found here pleads guilty. I try to speak up to save my friend!
UIXSS025.jpg

UIXSS026.jpg

UIXSS029.jpg

UIXSS030.jpg

You go girl!
UIXSS031.jpg

I try to reason with the injustice dispensing judge, but he will not even talk to me!
UIXSS033.jpg

This is terrible! What horrible corruption the Guardian has brought to my fair city! I head out of the court and spy a murderous Avatar stealing, unjustly accusing people who are close to me, gargoyle. Lets talk to him!
UIXSS035.jpg

UIXSS038.jpg

I speak to it briefly and tell it I need to explain what really happened in Ambrosia...
UIXSS040.jpg

Heading back into town I catch back up with the a murderous Avatar stealing, unjustly accusing people who are close to me, gargoyle. It tells me to speak to Vasagralem....
UIXSS057.jpg

I hop on board the fun Yew lift, and head to see Vasagralem...
UIXSS060.jpg

UIXSS061.jpg

UIXSS063.jpg

Wow! What an asshole!
UIXSS064.jpg

UIXSS066.jpg

UIXSS069.jpg

UIXSS070.jpg

I explain what REALLY happened...
UIXSS072.jpg

Duh!
UIXSS073.jpg

UIXSS075.jpg

UIXSS082.jpg

UIXSS083.jpg

We finally kiss and make up...
UIXSS086.jpg

Our Avatar next serches for clues that will lead her to obtaining the Mantra nd Sigil...
UIXSS095.jpg

Stay tuned for our next action packed update!

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't know why but, when I visit this thread on my Windows box, the anti-virus (avast) goes crazy about some malware and does't let me open the page...
I guess Ultima IX bugs are leaking from this thread :P
Anyway, back on topic, we are all waiting for the next update ;) Keep up the good work jaesun.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Radisshu said:
Was the setting that weird in the previous games as well?

Define "weird".

The Avatar was last in Britannia in Ultima VII Part 1. Ultima IX is a bit... different.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
it's terrible way of doing things. I doubt LB really got his hands into this game much. It's almost as if they tried to put this game on console with the amount of 'what is this lore about?' explanation in game that never really sound convincing as well as the numerous retcons. They never connected at all with Ultima 7 part 2 ending too.

It's an utter shithole of a game n fuckin sad so see such a great series coming to a pathetic end like this.

Dolar

Novice
RK47 said:
It's an utter shithole of a game n fuckin sad so see such a great series coming to a pathetic end like this.

I agree with you. I just have to wonder if there will ever be a chance at seeing another true Ultima game. That would pretend like Ascension never happened, maybe it was an alt universe or something:)

Ultima Online is near dead, and EA is not doing a thing with the name. I wonder if LB has entertained the idea of buying the rights to make a single player Ultima game again?

Anyway, great thread Jaesun , I have really enjoyed it thus far.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Chapter 11: Yew continued...

The Avatar continues to search the city for clues to the Mantra and the location of the Sigil of Justice. We find the library of Justice and look inside...
UIXSS001.jpg

What a bunch of fucking slobs! Books strewn around all over the floor! I heed the advice of the near by sign.
UIXSS002.jpg

Cleaning up the books, suddenly the books in the near by shelf disappear, revealing some book stuck in the wall or something...
UIXSS003.jpg

Reading the book, I am rewarded with the Mantra and a CLUE of where to find the Sigil!
UIXSS004.jpg

I quickly decide to make my way to the Dungeon Wrong by following these handy signs which point the way! Perhaps this "being who is pure and knows none of the petty prejudices that affect men" can be found along the way? I Sure hope so!
UIXSS006.jpg

Near by, I decide to take a withdrawal from the local bank.
UIXSS007.jpg

Our trek through the mountains of Yew is most arduous. Along the way, The Avatar meets many perils, such as Zombies near a crypt!
UIXSS009.jpg

Camps of Goblins!
UIXSS012.jpg

More lottery winning wolves!
UIXSS016.jpg

Masked men with long hard sticks that sure do carry a lot of gold!
UIXSS014.jpg

Crystal Wolves that can freeze you. Ouch!
UIXSS045.jpg

Ruins! Wait! Could this be the ruins of Empath Abbey!! Amazing! It has completely moved from its old location from when I was last in Britania and is now located here! Surely the incredible magic that could move an entire structure to a new location could be used on the Columns? Probably not. Lets come back here later!
UIXSS017.jpg

Continuing our trek, I come across this strange sign. Is this perhaps a Clue? Could a "being who is pure and knows none of the petty prejudices that affect men" possibly be near by? Lets follow the road by the sign!
UIXSS019.jpg

Holy shit! Following the clue road I finally spy the "being who is pure and knows none of the petty prejudices that affect men" Vulture of Justice! What luck!
UIXSS020.jpg

UIXSS021.jpg

Of course the Vulture of Justice will not just hand over the Sigil...
UIXSS027.jpg

UIXSS028.jpg

UIXSS031.jpg

UIXSS035.jpg

After hours of careful thought on each question the Avatar amazingly answers all the questions correctly! It hands me the Quill of Justice!
UIXSS040.jpg

We continue our journey and come across this Mine filled with skeletons!
UIXSS049.jpg

Oops!
UIXSS002.jpg

Lets just ignore the cave of much crashing and move on! I feel I am getting nearer to the dungeon! Lets kill the near by goblins!
UIXSS053.jpg

Ahead I find a bridge and the Dungeon entrance! Near by is the trustworthy Vasagralem! He keeps his word.
UIXSS060.jpg

Wow! He traveled all the way here, fighting the many perils of the arduous Mountain Road of Yew to tell me this? Why didn't he just tell me this in town? What a fucking idiot! Oh well..
UIXSS056.jpg

I hop on the boat of magical traveling...
UIXSS061.jpg

And am left here, on this small deserted island!
UIXSS062.jpg

Will the Avatar find the secret water entrance to Dungeon Wrong? Will Hilary Clinton be the next President of the United States? Why do I continue to play this fucking game?

Those answers and MOAR in our next exciting chapter! Stay tuned...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dolar said:
I agree with you. I just have to wonder if there will ever be a chance at seeing another true Ultima game. That would pretend like Ascension never happened, maybe it was an alt universe or something:)

Ultima Online is near dead, and EA is not doing a thing with the name. I wonder if LB has entertained the idea of buying the rights to make a single player Ultima game again?

No. Garriott won't ever make a new Ultima. Why? Because it's finished. It has been three trilogies, and the Ultima saga is officially finished.

We can still hope that he one day makes a game worthy of the Ultima legacy, but another Ultima? Nope.

Andhaira

Arcane
I don't know about that. But you know, the Ultima Underworld Trilogy is still not finished...

Radisshu

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Radisshu said:
Was the setting that weird in the previous games as well?

Define "weird".

The Avatar was last in Britannia in Ultima VII Part 1. Ultima IX is a bit... different.

Uh, I can't put my finger on it. It seems to hold on to some fantasy cliché but still have this disturbing surreal feeling. Reminds me of some dreams I've had that can never stick to the fucking setting. Maybe I was partly weirded out by the avatar living alone in a house with a computer and stuff, although I suppose that was added for some kind of comedic value.

Good threat BTW.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
You fucking rock. This is awesome. This game sucked way too much for me to play it, but to enjoy your miserable experience is just awesome.

ecliptic

Liturgist
ecliptic said:
It's kinda like reading an poorly-written Ultima fan-fiction...

And by that I am of course referring to the game, not the Let's Play commentary, that I find quite entertaining.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, the evil oppressors of free intarweb image storage have laid the smack down. bleh. It may have something to do with the 15,000+ views for this topic. :shock:

Fez

Erudite
Maybe you could swap over to Imageshack or another host for a while?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah or fucking make Codex front page latest thread link to the latest topic's page instead of forcing me to view the original post over before clicking on page 9.

Müg

Scholar
When the fuck did Photobucket start caring about bandwidth? I never saw this kind of stuff with photobucket until like a week ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom