Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense - Update 44

Hellraiser

Arcane
I am both appalled and satisfied by the recent increase in casualties. Also I wonder what attacked PotatoCom?

spekkio

Arcane
An alien grenade-analog landed at the Skyranger's ramp. Fortunately it merely wounded Hartman and scratched the tank.
1156151_o.gif

Sergeant Hartman volunteers to be transfered to X-com Africa Korps to show them rookies how it's done.
Alternatively, he may be used to rebuild the Europe Base.

:M

MMXI

Arcane
Do the whole thing as it's our first base defence. After that, just the highlights of floater battles.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
UPDATE 31

When we left off, Potato Base has been attacked by the aliens!

2rbEZ.jpg

We set up a minefield in the access lift corridor.

nvQQm.jpg

The proximity grenades go off, killing two Floaters.

FG1me.jpg

This hostile nearly wrecked Gondolin's tank!

FG1me.jpg

It becomes Hellraiser V's first kill.

hTNzT.jpg

Another Floater triggered more proximity grenades.

Vwems.jpg

Holy shit!

Cd3ow.jpg

:troll:

z6DM7.jpg

The Floaters die to Roxorowicz's high explosive pack. Then one falls to a trooper's reaction fire, but not before killing another trooper.

zeiHy.jpg

They keep coming!

6lqTA.jpg

As Sergiu67's fire kills two Floaters, a third one shoots back, wounding him severely!

uy4Gv.jpg

toastboy stabilises Sergiu67.

ZCuZA.jpg

And Hellraiser earns a second kill.

FEKpi.jpg

Gondolin's camera feed reveals another Floater in the corridor of death.

BHY4x.jpg

As he snipes it, JoKa discovers a Reaper.

bVlBN.jpg

toastboy wounds it and Hellraiser finishes it off.

CbuLn.jpg

Another Floater fell victim to Roxorowicz.

BHC3s.jpg

Gondolin discovers multiple hostiles!

yAjvp.jpg

He kills one, and PrzeSzkoda dispatches the two others.

o6SOe.jpg

Two unarmed Floaters rush the tank. Is it some sort of a trick?

PSSkf.jpg

Apparently not, since one is killed by BLOBEERT and the other by Gondolin.

CfzgS.jpg

More aliens. The presently unarmed Floater just executed the one that lies dead just outside the access lift...

ZnO2p.jpg

Korenzel deals with the Floater...

hf49X.jpg

...and BLOBEERT kills the Reaper. Odd, its corpse disappeared.

rdncd.jpg

Then Gondolin discovers ANOTHER alien.

fhlhX.jpg

It's an incredibly long shot, but Merk makes it! Only the alien's weapon is left.

7lVx2.jpg

One more Floater detected...

GmRlJ.jpg

JoKa kills it.

EjgNE.jpg

A Reaper is discovered. ironyuri puts it down and the corpse disappears.

WTdAz.jpg

Oh, another one... This one's for BLOBEERT.

4NMUc.jpg

And finally, one for PrzeSzkoda.

nyvvS.jpg

It was the last alien invader.

FkfTH.jpg

Meanwhile, Drakron catched up with the UFO.

crI01.jpg

He shot it down over central Africa.

asqEW.jpg

Hartman is sent for a little R&R in TentacleRapeCOM. KwaCOM receives Dextermorgan in his stead.

qXgOp.jpg

Team Kwa lands near the crash site.

gZM1M.jpg

It was just a Floater mission :decline:

3gpu5.jpg

We've been betrayed by Egypt. Rumour has it the local population was promised transportation to Orion, to their Pharaohs of old.

uY4Xr.jpg

But everyone else is very happy with our progress.

6MGI7.jpg

Drakron is sent to intercept this UFO.

a6G4w.jpg

U17Ui.jpg

He brings it down over Siberia.

gYHql.jpg

:rage:

I've had this bug before. Aliens attack the first X-COM base every fucking three days. Yes it's Floaters again. And it will be Floaters attacking the base for fucking ever. Any ideas how to fix it? Kyrub? Help?

Too pissed off about the bug, no roster update for you now. Besides, it's just ranks from Rookie to Squaddie. We only lost a nameless trooper.

kyrub

Augur
Look here:
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/Co ... t8377.html

And here's the solution itself.
If all else fails, there's a method to reset the alien missions completely. Start a brand new game and save it in a separate slot. Copy the missions.dat file from there and replace the mission.dat for your current save with it. I suggest making a backup of your game just in case. This resets the missions back to what they were when you started the game, with one UFO targeting the region you set your first base (in the new game you created) and I think a terror site. All your progress so far will not be lost.

It's a bit ugly, though. You'll delete all other proceeding missions as well. I knew which lines were specifically retaliation oriented, but I forgot. You may find that on Ufopaedia in Game files section, under mission.dat. Then you could delete (overwrite with zeroes) only the few entries for retaliation FOR EVERY ZONE. This would conserve all other alien missions (like infiltration etc.) If you are unfamiliar with hex-editing, no way to do it - just use the way described in quotes.

(A small advertisment: Icing mod I made should get rid of constant base attacks. It also mixes alien missions more so that you don't see Floaters or Snakesmen all the time.)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
kyrub said:
Look here:
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/Co ... t8377.html

And here's the solution itself.
If all else fails, there's a method to reset the alien missions completely. Start a brand new game and save it in a separate slot. Copy the missions.dat file from there and replace the mission.dat for your current save with it. I suggest making a backup of your game just in case. This resets the missions back to what they were when you started the game, with one UFO targeting the region you set your first base (in the new game you created) and I think a terror site. All your progress so far will not be lost.

It's a bit ugly, though. You'll delete all other proceeding missions as well. I knew which lines were specifically retaliation oriented, but I forgot. You may find that on Ufopaedia in Game files section, under mission.dat. Then you could delete (overwrite with zeroes) only the few entries for retaliation FOR EVERY ZONE. This would conserve all other alien missions (like infiltration etc.) If you are unfamiliar with hex-editing, no way to do it - just use the way described in quotes.

(A small advertisment: Icing mod I made should get rid of constant base attacks. It also mixes alien missions more so that you don't see Floaters or Snakesmen all the time.)

Thanks, man. I'll see what I can do about the missions.dat file. Should that fail, I'll replace it with a fresh one.

I'll gladly check out your mod during another playthrough. I don't want to change the game's balance in the middle of the LP. Besides, I don't have any base defense to speak of, so the battleship won't be shot down. I may build some, but that would mean dealing with retaliations for 16+ days :rage:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
As I mentioned above, building even the simplest missile battery will take time, and the aliens will use that time to invade the base over and over, ruining my game experience.

Also, it appears I cannot into hex editing at all. Unless someone (kyrub?) is kind enough to edit the damned file for me, I'll have to replace it with a fresh one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom