Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play UFO: Enemy Unknown - Update #25: It's on!

Silellak

Cipher
Any particular reason you went after the downed UFO at night, or did you just want to show a night mission? Just curious, since I've always waited til daylight when dealing with a crash site - as opposed to a terror site or landed UFO, when you have to move in ASAP. Are there any changes that occur in the combat zone if you wait before sending in a team?

Tails

Arbiter
Silellak said:
Any particular reason you went after the downed UFO at night, or did you just want to show a night mission? Just curious, since I've always waited til daylight when dealing with a crash site - as opposed to a terror site or landed UFO, when you have to move in ASAP. Are there any changes that occur in the combat zone if you wait before sending in a team?
Oh it's just one of the rules for the LP, go straight for the downed UFOs, no matter if it's day or night. To be honest, the coolest missions I had were always at night. And no, there is no changes in combat zone as far I remember.

Tails said:
Also from now we will have standard UFO shapes and interiors until I sort out how to make random ones work properly.
It seems to be impossible with the new version. The old 9.6 version works correctly.

Tails said:
dosbox2010-01-2220-04-22-03.jpg

Sweeet, it will replace our previous tank for some time. Engineers will now work on Laser Rifles that we sell to the black market of course.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Manufacturing_Profitability
Laser tanks would give better profit. Over 3x better, assuming you have the workshop space.

Big Nose George

Educated
Oh noes. Machine Spirit died.

Also, you haven't encountered one of those till now but I feel that it's about time. =D

2468c37.jpg

I am always late to these parties

Count me in, thought at this point you'd need to have a complete wipe for me to see any action

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Diary of private Garfunkel - 23rd February, 1999

I'm still doing basic training, basically just practising marksmanship and small unit tactics. There was a big hassle two days ago when we handed in our trusty assault rifles and received these shiny new laser rifles. We've been training hard with them and they sure are nice, though I miss the kick and noise of the old chemical ones. It's just not the same when your gun goes ZAP instead of BANG!

Few days ago I met captain Silellak while I was on cleaning duty in the hospital. He seemed real eager to get back to the fray. I hope I get to join the team soon too. Reminder to self, need to smuggle more fags to the base, sergeant SV is still stuck in hospital and going through them like crazy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
IIRC, there's a setting on Laser Rifles that can make them go "ZARK!" instead of "ZAP!"

Black_Willow

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Diary of private Garfunkel - 23rd February, 1999

I'm still doing basic training, basically just practising marksmanship and small unit tactics. There was a big hassle two days ago when we handed in our trusty assault rifles and received these shiny new laser rifles. We've been training hard with them and they sure are nice, though I miss the kick and noise of the old chemical ones. It's just not the same when your gun goes ZAP instead of BANG!

Few days ago I met captain Silellak while I was on cleaning duty in the hospital. He seemed real eager to get back to the fray. I hope I get to join the team soon too. Reminder to self, need to smuggle more fags to the base, sergeant SV is still stuck in hospital and going through them like crazy.
Seems like I'm the only sergant around, soldier! Now drop and give me hundred!!!

Tails

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
It seems to be impossible with the new version. The old 9.6 version works correctly.
I just made quick test and 9.6 works correctly, so for sure I don't have broken version of game. It seems that new developer made some changes in code regarding UFO random shapes.
Overall even if it work, I probably wouldn't use BFG anyway, since it's too random for my taste. You can get Cydonia surface(!) on Antarctica, Alien Base on Desert, etc.

Tails said:
Laser tanks would give better profit. Over 3x better, assuming you have the workshop space.
Laser tanks would give better profit. Over 3x better, assuming you have the workshop space.[/quote]
Indeed, time to make U turn! thanks.

Big Nose George, you foreseen the future of dragonfk, so who knows, maybe in new update we get Cyberdiscs! It will be pretty hardcore, since we don't have even Personal Armourz.

TNO

Augur
Personal armour is a waste though: I won't really do anything to stop your troops dying. Power armour is more like it. Unless I'm swimming in Elerium, most of my guys, even late game, are in power armour. Flying suits cost da bomb.

I'm thinking I'll use aliens assist research and whatever else makes researching alien tech SLOW. It changes how the game works for the better - by your stage in the game I'd probably have had heavy plasma and plasma beams by now.

dragonfk

Erudite
Just recently I started playing the game once again on Superhuman difficulty. And imagine my dismay when not even after a ONE month I get a base attack with Sectoids, Cber disks and Psi leaders. That's just impossible to win with laser pistoles. Right? The few times I've ried I killed about 12 Sectoids and about 3 Cyberdisks. But I also happen to know that there are at least 2 more Sectoids and 2 Cyberdisks. What gives?

TNO

Augur
Actually, some players disable alien raids because they are an easy way to get lots of phat loot if you know how.

If you set up your base such that the only way in is through the access lift block, all of your guys can camp the long hallway or go in alcoves and just muller all the aliens who come through - have a few spotters in nearby rooms, then shoot from the others a long way out of LOS to avoid reaction death. If your base isn't easily defensible, then you are pretty screwed. Making HWPs are a good idea for base defence missions, as they always start fully loaded IIRC.

P.S. I'm fairly sure sectoid base raiders also have blaster bombs. The PSI shouldn't be so bad as long as you can kill any enemy unit that sees your troops. I'm fairly sure they can only MC those that have been spotted, and also have some 'memory' as to how long they can attempt MCs even if you've broken sight contact. And at least there'll only be a couple of PSI leaders, as opposed to Ethereals...

dragonfk

Erudite
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that it's just the beggining of the game so I have next to no equipment. 1 laser rifle, 7 laser pistols, grenades and only 8 marines because few days earlier I had a Terror mission which I won by I lost about 75% of my squad. Only way I've managed to decimate enemy to the point I did was because of defensible layout of my base. But even that isn't enough it seems :( .

Tails

Arbiter
TNO said:
Personal armour is a waste though: I won't really do anything to stop your troops dying. Power armour is more like it. Unless I'm swimming in Elerium, most of my guys, even late game, are in power armour. Flying suits cost da bomb..
I disagree, Personal Armourz are good for decreasing amount of deaths, many times I had situation where soldier was hit but stay alive or had bleeding wounds.

dragonfk, I had few times the same, nasty situation. Try to camp them out.

Tails

Arbiter
dosbox2010-01-2220-31-29-09.jpg

During leaving the Skyranger-1, our brand new Lazor Tank was attacked by a Floater. Few plasma shots fly around tank and got inside Skranger-1...

dosbox2010-01-2220-32-32-45.jpg

...but none of our brave soldiers was hit. Luzur like a good marksman, kills Floater. Nice shot sir!

dosbox2010-01-2220-34-36-40.jpg

For now I just deploy Big Nose George (right) and Krraloth (left). Btw. because of sucky stats, Krraloth is first Laser Pistol -Stuntrod wielder. Should be fun.

dosbox2010-01-2220-35-28-92.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2220-38-03-42.jpg

During alien turn an Floater attacks Krraloth but misses with all shots and retreats behind second barn. We are going to try catch him, since it's probably Engineer/Navigator or in worse case a Medic. When Krraloth moves forward, another Floater tries to kill him.

dosbox2010-01-2220-37-48-07.jpg

Second turn. Krraloth tries to retreat, LazyD and Big Nose George get ready to get medieval on Floaters ass.

dosbox2010-01-2220-39-08-96.jpg

At end of the third turn Krraloth moves forward to capture the Floater, when Lazor Tank will be used as a bait. Big Nose George throws grenade close to the Floater.

dosbox2010-01-2413-03-09-34.jpg

Big explosion yet Floater is still alive.

dosbox2010-01-2413-08-36-25.jpg

It was risky but worthy effort. Krraloth stunts alien! I'm proud of you son.

dosbox2010-01-2413-10-23-26.jpg

Big Nose George spots the grenade wounded Floater. I like to use LazyD to take him down, but there is risk of reaction fire. So George shots down bastard. Since its safe, LazyD goes towards house.

dosbox2010-01-2413-13-12-54.jpg

Luzur spots another one, near the crashed UFO. BUMFACE takes him down with well aimed rocket. Also BUMFACE hadenough TU to reload Rocker Launcher. Nice!

dosbox2010-01-2413-17-57-03.jpg

Lazor Tank goes south to scout area, Silellak stays by the ship, when spekkio and Rabidredneck go towards UFO.

dosbox2010-01-2413-31-15-23.jpg

Fith turn. LazyD and George go check the house in north-west corner of map. Krraloth checks what kind of Floater we got and well... its a soldier. Let's hope he will be useful during Plasma Weapons research. Krraloth goes to see what is inside stable.

dosbox2010-01-2413-35-53-50.jpg

Lazor Tank scouts. Looks like there won,t be much to recover from this one. Luzur, Rabidredneck, move towards the UFO. Black_Willow is inside north west house, so far finds nothing.

dosbox2010-01-2413-41-42-89.jpg

Alien turn takes a long time, heavy movement! During our turn nothing ordinary happens. I decided to take Sillelak and BUMFACE for UFO assault.

dosbox2010-01-2413-49-16-25.jpg

dosbox2010-01-2413-50-57-92.jpg

During eight BUMFACE throws grenade through the hole in the middle of UFO, and scores one kill. Same does Rabidredneck during nine in but no one died. Rest finished scouting buildings so they go straight to the UFO.

dosbox2010-01-2414-02-55-81.jpg

Nine turn, party is ready, time for fireworks :smug: Krraloth will start assault of UFO in next turn, good luck soldier :salute:

dosbox2010-01-2414-05-25-12.jpg

Krraloth is in shitty situation, he probably won't make it. Luzur throws grenade next two those Floaters.

dosbox2010-01-2414-08-27-81.jpg

Silellak tries his luck to take down Floater. Nice shot ine the back I must say.

dosbox2010-01-2414-09-09-95.jpg

Rabidredneck turn, and he stunts out last remaining Floater. This doesn't matter thought, since grenade explosion kills him.

dosbox2010-01-2414-20-04-89.jpg

Another ordinary day in Codexia forces :salute:

dosbox2010-01-2414-27-52-29.jpg

After selling l00t I ordered 10 Scientist and 5 Engineers (no point ordering more of those since we have 5 unused workplace space only during Laser Tank prod.).

dosbox2010-01-2414-33-22-71.jpg

Large UFO comes from south, probably a Terror Ship. I would try to take him down with two Interceptors, but one of them is currently refuelling.

dosbox2010-01-2414-33-56-60.jpg

Just second after Interceptor-1 was refuelled, fuckers landed in Rome :rage: Let's see if Big Nose George really have a gift of forseeing future... in the next update.

Tails

Arbiter
Won't be, since Aliens landed in Rome almost in morning. This terror mission will be probably similar to last one, or in regular day I guess.

TNO said:
Personal armour is a waste though: I won't really do anything to stop your troops dying. Power armour is more like it. Unless I'm swimming in Elerium, most of my guys, even late game, are in power armour. Flying suits cost da bomb.

I'm the other way around, usually I get personal armor as soon as its available, then when I get power armor I hold off for another week or two until flying armor. Being able to fly over chrysallids is heaven.

EDIT: wow, just checked and I never realized how expensive flying armor was. 3x the elerium! I guess I never noticed since I always had a lot saved up by skipping power, and I only use it sparingly on my better soldiers.

TNO said:
I'm thinking I'll use aliens assist research and whatever else makes researching alien tech SLOW. It changes how the game works for the better - by your stage in the game I'd probably have had heavy plasma and plasma beams by now.
Yeah, I agree with this. The tech tree works fine when you don't know what to get. But when you know whats good and whats not, you pretty much have everything but MC and blasters by 2 months in while at worst you have encountered snakemen.

I do think there is a potential exploit there though: The description says it reduces the research time of ALL active projects whenever an alien is captured. Lets say you have 10 active projects all with only 1 scientist, then you launch a stun bomb into a room of 4 aliens. Do you instantly get 10 technologies or something?

dragonfk said:
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that it's just the beggining of the game so I have next to no equipment. 1 laser rifle, 7 laser pistols, grenades and only 8 marines because few days earlier I had a Terror mission which I won by I lost about 75% of my squad. Only way I've managed to decimate enemy to the point I did was because of defensible layout of my base. But even that isn't enough it seems :( .

Hopefully you have some kind of choke point. MC works like this: if any alien sees a single of your units, ALL of them see ALL of your units. All MC attacks will ALWAYS be on the unit which is weakest to the attack (enemy stats vs your stats - distance modifier). Whoever gets initially MC-attacked, have them drop their weapon. Don't move them away from the aliens (that could decrease the chance to hit because of increased distance, causing them to target another soldier), but move them into some nearby cover. Aliens will repeatedly MC him and do nothing cause he has no weapon. Almost an exploit really, but useful.

xcomutil seems to have a bug with windows versions, I can't research anything at all other then laser weapons (the original research, not the weapons themselves). I put scientists on it but it doesn't show up in the research window, and no progress is made on research.

dragonfk

Erudite
I haen't encountered any such bug and I also use Windows version of UFO plus xcomutils 9.7.

Tails

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
xcomutil seems to have a bug with windows versions, I can't research anything at all other then laser weapons (the original research, not the weapons themselves). I put scientists on it but it doesn't show up in the research window, and no progress is made on research.
Are you using it with the Extender or just Xcomutil?

dragonfk said:
I haen't encountered any such bug and I also use Windows version of UFO plus xcomutils 9.7.
Better switch to DOS version then or get UFO Extender, without it playing UFO CE is pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom