Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play UFO - Aftershock : Victory!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Let's hope R&D will come up with something useful.

Azira said:
Bee has finalized her psionic training and sniper training both, she only needs to focus on scout training from now on. She has a very impressive long range skill, and for some reason, she has totally avoided injury so far. :salute: Being a psionic is working out pretty well for her so far.
Azira said:
And Bee gets her revenge on one of the three that spawned almost on top of her. Note the 1990 damage she does. :salute:

Cool! :salute:

dextermorgan

Arcane
My training is going along nicely I see :incline:

Also do arm higher tier snipers with MGS90, the precision is amazing - I was sniping enemies from across the map with 99% accuracy and with criticals you probably won't need more. Works great with Scout Drone Hover, give it a try. It's very low profile and very very fast, a bit like that damnable flatster as the enemies don't see it until they're on top of it.

Yes I started this game again. Damn you Azira. Damn you to Hell.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@Bee
I'm sure they will, our ever trusty eggheads. :smug:

@dextermorgan
The precision is high, but the two-round option of the SR-25 is very nice as well, especially in most maps, where you almost invariably engage the enemy at rather close range. I will however try out the other sniper rifles. :salute:

@Desmodus Rotundus
AP ammo is a must. And there's really no reason not to use it. It does the same damage at the same range as normal ammo, it's a bit more expensive to produce, but what the hey.
And I find using deagles more effective. Sure, you won't spray as many bullets as if you used SMGs, but the damage per shot is much higher, and I like the sound better. ;)

Do I remember correctly that there were different stat boosting limbs for cyborgs, if yes then which ones are you using, would like to know. You're making me want to play it again, which is a shame since I'm fairly sure that the small map selection with few sniper friendly ones amongst them will piss me off again.

edit: What do you know, I happened to have an old install on my games dir, with some old saves. Guess I was thinking of something like that when I created my recruit, prolly took stalker for stealth bonus, since it has silenced smg's.

20i9nah.jpg

Hope you don't get mad for posting that pic, can remove if it shows too much

dextermorgan

Arcane
Meh, downloaded FRAPS and it works fine. Anyway, I'm feeling very :smug: about my totally overpowered cyborg:
sbacs.jpg

Like Desmond says, we can delete these images if you wish Azira.

I don't remember what gave the +damage(in yellow) but check out mine. Also the dude is supposed to be stealthy, even got him stealth leg implants and silenced weapons.

Oh yeah it's the enemy skill that gives bonus dam iirc :P

dextermorgan

Arcane
I hear ya. You're using the weapon rebalance mod by Avenger? I never tried it but I can imagine it's a whole different ballgame.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@Desmodus Rotundus
I've given Desmodus the dex increasing arm implant, and agility increasing leg implant. There will be an update tomorrow I expect, although I also aim towards beginning my Afterlight LP tentatively. How this pans out is dependent on how much free time I manage to find though.
The pictures are fine, I don't mind. :salute:

@dextermorgan
I use FRAPS, and then use BIMPlite to batch convert all the pictures to .jpg format.

@CrimsonAngel
Spideybot is coming along, but I haven't produced the chassis yet. Those bitches take a while to produce. :M

If I'm not too drunk later tonight, I might even produce a short update today. :love:

drexciya

Augur
You're steamrolling through this game, which is impressive, but there's a bit more going on than just combat.

I've just started a new game. It has some issues with W7-x64 (some crashes here and there, some weird glitches at times, but not too bad). What I found a bit tricky is the proper planning of your buildings. Some planning is certainly required here. Especially if you need some advanced Labs/Factories. And the increased space of your ship depends on one of those research facilities.

Also I was wondering which combinations are useful when it comes to the Technician/Stalker/Gunman/Commando/Sniper/... training trees. Is there a specific reason for choosing certain combinations or not?

Apart from that things run relatively smoothly at the moment. I remembered having much more problems with the Cultists when I played the game for the first time. So far I'm eliminating them fairly easily. Using quick shot (compared to aimed shot) and "burst" (compared to single shot) works wonders at close range.

I was a bit surprised at the Psi lab; it doesn't seem to diminish the time to research topics if you have multiple Psi Labs. Is this a bug?

Grenades can be useful in cramped situations (inside bases) and it's why Morelman are annoying since they throw phosphorous grenades around like candy. In open terrain they're useless compared to guns.

dextermorgan

Arcane
A a rule of thumb, always build a school followed by two universities and then demolish the school at any base that has 4 or 5 building places. Also consider building those anyway in case the provinces hold alien resources, as those are kind of rare and you need to boost production.

As for builds, basically any combination when maxed out will be useful, but beware of combining those that give similar perks (technician and gunman is one such combination). Make sure to read the glossary on training when you plan your characters. Some useful combinations include Psionic/Sniper/Scout and Technician/Medic/Whatever, Psionic/Leader/Whatever and Stalker/Scout/Commando.

Grenades and launchers are pretty much useless as a whole, direct fire ftw.

Edit:
Couple of Troopers/Whatever/Whatever are also useful in order to maximize your XM8's.

Edit2:
Cyborgs are OP in Close Combat/Rifles roles due to the awesome bonuses they gain from implants. A commando with dual strength implants can get Super Heroic +4 Close combat skill (such as the one in my shot, as can dexterity implant trooper with rifles chipset, whatever that's called.

Edit3:
I think there's a bug in the game where it doesn't show shorter times for research cued when labs have been built in the meantime. The research itself is shortened, don't worry. Also, ambidexterious chipset implant for cyborgs is bugged, doesn't work at all.

Now that I actually look at the main screen the biggest text is ShadoWarriors (yea it's shado not shadow :P) weapon rebalance, so doesn't enemy skill give bonus damage in vanilla? Or maybe it's just hidden since it's supposed to up your damage based on description. I mean weapon skill super heroic or +1 should be sufficiend since it gives you accuracy and maybe range, but if all shots hit anyway wouldn't you want damage :P hence why all my troops have pretty high enemy skill.

One of my guys has enemy skill SH+1 and he more than doubles his damage output :D

dextermorgan

Arcane
Yes, you want to pump up intelligence (enemy skill) eventually to get bonus damage but initially the priority is to get range and accuracy. The problem with intelligence is the way it (poorly) synergies with combat skills. The easies way to pump it up without a whole lot of leveling to compensate for all the attribute points necessary is to go Medic/Technician route. In most other builds it's a waste of points until you've built up your other combat skills, especially in the case of Cyborgs as they typically start with low Int/Per/Will. They more than easily compensate for this with high rate of fire/speed/range.

Psionics make for deadly snipers on the other hand as they usually start off with high intelligence anyway. I guess it boils down to choosing between awesome ROF and high damage per shot.

ShadoWarrior and Avenger I believe are on and the same person, chronic UFO modder :)

Edit: why look, it's a whole new page waiting for updatean!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've been swamped modding names into Afterlight, but now that I've got that working, I can start work on my Aftershock update. :) Just need to get some spare time, my child and wife want some attention too go figure.. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can't leave you all without an update. I did promise, didn't I?
Unfortunately, it will have to be a short one. Plenty has happened, but it mostly consists of grabbing of territories and researching stuff. As to the storyline, we've attacked some cultists territories, and now that the Wargots have arrived, it seems they've joined forces with the cultists. This is the screens you see when you attack cultist territory.

No idea what the Wargot is saying, and I don't care much. Researches try to shed some light on the Wargots physiology.

In short, they're well armoured, weak to psi, and armor piercing bullets are a must if you, as I am, are using primarily projectile weaponry.
In an effort to better understand our earth-bound enemies, the cultists, we take a deeper look at their "religion".

Hm. We're a bit behind on this topic, as their "masters" seem to have arrived already. Ohwell.
Now that the Wargots have arrived, they've brought plasma weaponry to the battlefield. Quick to seize the opportunity, we've researched this and produced some of our own tech. A plasma shotgun amongst them. Here we see Commissar testing it, and he likes what he sees.

5308 damage. :incline:
Better weapons to us doesn't mean we can get careless though, a thing Storyfag forgets for a moment, and he is only saved by the grace and good aim of Anus and Bee, who kill his attackers from half a map away.

JoKa is first on the scene and patches his friend up. All this damage taken means Storyfag is off the team to recuperate.

4 days and 15 hours? Ouch. But we now have a third tier medic on our team, which reduces the time required.

1 day 10 hours, that's more like it. :smug:

Sometimes it's not the enemy that's dangerous. Standing on the other side of an enemy while your allies are firing on it isn't necessarily a good idea as JoKa finds out.

At least it wasn't fatal.. Maybe he'd said something nasty to Bee? :M
I hope to soon bring you a better and more meaningful update, but I hope this will tide you over for now. :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sorry, JoKa. :oops: Then again, maybe you really did say something unpleasant to Bee. :P

Azira said:
and he is only saved by the grace and good aim of Anus and Bee, who kill his attackers from half a map away

:salute:

LOL @ "Anus and Bee", though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom