Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play The Immortal. And stuffies.

Black Cat

Magister
That's better, many hugs for kitty. :3

:love:

I'll update today or tomorrow, depending on my hands and how sleepy I get. As you may remember my hands get painful when I write too many walls of text and my nails don't help, so I can't write too long anymore without it starting to hurt, and to make matters worse I broke my right index nail pretty bad. That's why I start getting, like, "this = that" and "this =/= that" on my posties instead of the normal verbose mode.

So either today or tomorrow, as soon as it stops feeling wrong and hurting, I'll write the last update and then my hands will take a long vacation from posting on Codexia.

Sorry for the delay, in any case. Thanks for the hugs, too. :3

dextermorgan

Arcane
Update please Ms Cat.

Mrowak said:
Prodrush the little Wolf Spider

I think that's a jumping spider... Speaking of which:

800px-Mystaceus.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Well, it seems to me this LP is done for... at least for half a year. I guess the holiday's over.

It was fun having you around Cat. Those were fine, masterful LPs, by all accounts. :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Codex Playground without Blackity Cat is like the Solar System without Saturn. :salute:

Or something like that. The integral dark side, I mean. In any case, :salute:

We hope you'll be back, BC.

spekkio

Arcane
Well, it looks that the number of alts that a certain someone can handle was reached...

:salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ye Hielands and ye Lowlands,
O, whaur hae ye been?
They hae slain the Kur o' Neko,
And laid her on the green.
She was a cat gallant,
And she crawl'd through the ring,
And the bonny Kur o' Neko,
She might hae been our queen.

O lang will the Codex
Lok frae the Pop-a-mole
Ere we see the Kur o' Neko
Come soundin' through the toun.

Now wae be to ye, Codex,
And wherefore did ye sea?
I bade ye bring her wi' ye,
And forbade ye her to slay.
She was a cat gallant,
And she played at the 'Ground,
And the bonny Kur o' Neko,
She was the our true love.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the ninth; The good, the bad, and the scaly.

So it has come to this, the last chapter in The Vizard's adventure! As you may remember, while escaping the Norlac our hero was trapped in a whirlpool and dragged to a watery grave. Somehow, most probably by Mordamir's intervention, he survived such a fate, and instead wokes up in a room with a chest and a ladder going down. Also, there's a hole in the wall, and I kind of bet we got in that way.

immortal002z.jpg

Inside the chest there's fifty gold pieces and two more spells: A tome with six charges of Blink, which allows us to be gone from reality for a short while, and a single use scroll of Fire Protection. Between those spells and the ones Dunric gave us we are ready to face whatever the game has in store for us! Thus we climb down the ladder...

immortal003z.jpg

... and come to an empty room. There are no chests to loot, no cracks in the walls, and no ladders leading elsewhere, other than the one we climbed down just now. There's also no enemies of any kind, and neither any traps nor puzzles. If The Wizard were not guided by a sagely and wise Neko familiar he would most surely be damned to an eternity of walking in circles, despairing, and walking in circles some more. Instead, and guided by the vision of a fluffy tail coming down the ceiling and pointing at the tile at the precise center of the room, he finds the exit.

immortal004z.jpg

Maybe there was a trap after all. And no matter how much he struggles against gravity he finally falls down the pit, where he meets a horrible and grizzly death.

immortal005z.jpg

Or almost, at the very least. Showing he is more fit than his age and character class would have one suspect he climbs himself out of such a predicament and into a new one, and not only did he lose his sword during the fall but he is now standing atop a quite small stone pillar in an apparently bottomless chasm. To make things worse, music switches to a new tune as something rears its scaly head. Something angry.

immortal006z.jpg

Meet The Dragon, the first half of the final battle. He does what his kind does best, namely spewing fire so hot even turning in an statue would get us killed, and given we have no means of side strafing I say we are pretty much screwed.

immortal007z.jpg

immortal008z.jpg

immortal009z.jpg

Ouch. Our Fire Protection spell only lasts for about three seconds and this guy will not get tired of spewing napalm any time soon, and as I just revealed to you the spell to turn ourselves into a statue would get us very killed. Our only chance, thus, lies in Fair Codexia's own store of memes and ancient knowledge, and lucky for us, though maybe not for her, The Wizard's Kasha guide is well versed in such knowledge and resolves to use blink to get out the kitchen, even if just for a little while.

Our scaly friend is not happy with this, however, and keeps trying to sanitize his lair, going so far as breaking the pattern here and there, staying his hand a second longer or spewing twice without a breather between, to make it harder for us to time it correctly. And after six bursts of fiery death we come across another problem: We are out of blinks and the dragons is charging his lazors for the mother of all breath weapons. We need to use the Fire Protection spell, but timing it is hard: The attack goes just a couple of frames below the duration of the spell, so we need to wait for the very last moment before casting it. Otherwise it will finish with us still surrounded by flames.

Also, he will first appear to be about to spew fire, then he will recoil, and then he will actually spew fire, just because he's a jerk and really wants to kill us.

immortal010z.jpg

Having survived the seventh round we get a short rest, as he is kind of tired and, breathing heavily, needs to recover a bit of strenght before going back to trying to kill us. We, however, are out of both blink and fire protection charges, so we are actually in quite the Dai Pinchi and this little rest will be our last if we don't come up with something quite fast. Our remaining spells are all useless there and the dragon isn't interested in the gold we have been looting since the begining, so only one option remains to us: We raise the talisman we got at the begining of the game, but we still don't read the runes.

immortal011z.jpg

Dragon doesn't really care, however, and he prepares to burn us down where we stand when something happens, surprising both The Wizard and the quite huge lizard he's facing off against.

immortal012z.jpg

immortal013z.jpg

A wild Mordamir appears! Given we already know he's actually a jerk this doesn't really means we are saved, but that we are royaly screwed if we can't come with a plan really fast.

Fool! Read the words! I've wanted a thousand years for this. Read the words!

Fine, then I'll just take back my amulet. I have other students who will come. Prepare to die.

He then steals our amulet with his magic and...

immortal015z.jpg

immortal016z.jpg

immortal017z.jpg

immortal018z.jpg

More ouch. We, however, still have the three spells Dunric gave us, and those we must use to face against Mordamir. Thus, we turn into a statue to survive those lightnings...

immortal019z.jpg

... but after three castings of such he decides to, instead, summon some really ugly noise that makes The Wizard assplode.

immortal020z.jpg

immortal021z.jpg

immortal022z.jpg

immortal023z.jpg

immortal024z.jpg

So we use three charges of the spell that turns us into a statue, first, and then our Sonic Protection scroll. Mordamir goes back to casting lightning strikes against us for two more rounds, and then...

immortal025z.jpg

immortal026z.jpg

immortal027z.jpg

immortal028z.jpg

... which is actually pretty easy to survive given we only need to turn into an statue once more.

immortal029z.jpg

You have no more defenses, my student.

What a pity I wasted so much time on you. You don't think you made it here on your own, do you? Look at me. Do I remind you of a merchant, perhaps? Who do you think left you those chests?

It's a better explanation than what we usually get about why we find what we need to solve each puzzle, open each barrier, and defeat each boss not more than a dungeon away of what it solves, opens, or kills. What I like of that little setup is that Mordamir's help ends with casting Fire Protection to survive the Dragon's strongest attack, and the only reason you can face him even for a little while is because Dunric gave you the other spells precisely for that reason.

Do you even know why I summoned you? One thousand years ago, I created this amulet to kill the dragons that governed the Fountain of Youth. But this one escaped. He came back and destroyed my city. I was the sole survivor. Now I have returned to reclaim the fountain that gave me a thousand years to live.

You were to kill the dragon for me. You see, the power the amulet takes to kill a dragon will also kill the one using it. So I can't attack the dragon myself. But as long as I have this amulet, the dragon won't attack me.

And now that I think of it there was another spell Dunric gave us, wasn't there?

immortal030z.jpg

immortal031z.jpg

:smug:

immortal032z.jpg

immortal033z.jpg

immortal034z.jpg

immortal035z.jpg

immortal036z.jpg

I have to say both Mordamir and Dunric are way beyond even Eldar Farseers on their knowledge and understanding of the time stream, being able to predict how everything would play out to the point of providing us with the exact amount of everything needed and not even one measly extra charge of anything. Now all my attempts at divination will leave me quite unfulfilled.

In any case the Dragon leaves without going Om Nom Nom on us, and as The Wizard is left there, contemplating jumping in the bottomless abyss or something similar a rope comes down from above, and Dunric's daughter get her moment to shine. If we had not helped her before it would be a goblin (*SQUEEEEE*) rescuing us, and the ending text would have some different lines here and there.

immortal037z.jpg

immortal039z.jpg

immortal001z.jpg

The journey out of the dungeons takes two days, but with Ana by your side time seems unimportant.

You, sir, are a bloody perv.

poster_perv.jpg

The water invigorates you with new youth, and you discover a new spring to your walk.

That's no excuse, you could be her grandfather! Twice, probably.

As you travel, your thoughts return to Mordamir and the dragon.

Sure, you old geezer. Keep trying to pull a ninja topic change on me.

They were alike, in a way, each the only survivor of a civilization destroyed by the other more than a thousand years ago. They were an equal match also, and it seems strange that you would tilt the balance of a conflict forged so long ago.

And thus The Immortal ends, ye of little faith who surely were thinking I had left it abandoned.

¬_¬U

I hope you enjoyed our many adventures in puzzle solving and general unfairness, and are now wondering why do we get a bunch of crap boring games instead of games like this with modern graphics. I surely am, for one.

And sorry about the delay at the end, I got swamped by my research and trying to have a life as the climate is back to how I like it. Now I will take some long vacations from making Let's Play thingies, and from Codexia itself, while I finish my japanese studies and play real games like Under The Moon...

utmo.jpg

... which more or less eats what scarce free time both having a boyfriend and trying to learn to cast fireballs and ride a broom leaves me with, which is about, like, none at all. Once I get some free time back I may return and give an official start to the new age of Codexia by going on a quest for the Codex's new identity!

So pray I don't get free time ever again, I guess.

'til next time!

Now the dialogue wheel.

@ The Vizard

There's a band by the name of Orange Goblin and I did not knew of them? I'm such an apostate.

@ Crooked Bee

I always return, like a, uhm, bad memory or something similarly EMO sounding, yeah.

@ Jasede

It's good to see you both back and reading one of my little Let's Play thingies again. :3

@ Mrowak

Thank you for the kind words. :3

Crooked Bee

Patron
Gosh you're hardcore as hell! :salute: Congratulations on concluding this awesome LP!

Too bad you're rarely around, Neko-chan. :/

Kz3r0

Arcane
Good job, just to know, what would happen if you read the runes, even if is easily imaginable.
Another little curiosity, can you finish the game without goblins' help?
And a last little nagging thing, can you rise the amulet from the beginning just to avoid all the flame shower?
Thank you.

lightbane

Arcane
About time you finished this lp, a little more and the wizard would have died of old age :rpgcodex:

Still, thanks for your lp :love:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ha! Well done. The ending is great indeed. Shame the game is so short. Thanks for LPing thie little pearl I had been ignorant of.

And good luck with your studies and all. :salute:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well damn, good job! So what was the last spell left since I totally forgot?

Bubb

Barely Literate
Cat, thanks a lot for this LP. I have been silently following it while I do the whole AT thing. Hope you do more LP's of old and obscure games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thank you for seeing this one through to the end. That's another old game I can safely forget about having to try to play.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Miss Bee

I am glad you did enjoy this little Let's Play thingie, Miss Bee.

@ Kz3r0

If we had read the runes the same thing that happened on the first level would happen: A bright flash of light and then a game over message.

On the second question it isn't possible to end the game without the Goblins' help, as you can't clear the second stage without giving the water of life to the Goblin King, given he will not talk to you until you have used the mushroom spores on the dirt mound to poison him. So given you saved their king the goblins are always friendly to you and rescue you if Ana's unavailable.

As for the third question... Give me a second. * runs to try it, gets The Vizard burned to death * No, you can't. :P

@ Malakal

It was Magnetic Hands, as Kz3r0 said. And it's kind of awesome The Vizard managed to defeat Mordamir and troll the dragon with nothing but four defensive spells and an utility one. That's the kind of situation role playing games should do more often.

@ Mrowak

Indeed, it is pretty short, though so unfair you actually spend a good deal of time trying to clear the game for the first time. Also, the game's a testament to how atmosphere and a simple but cool story can be used to have a very climatic ending without EPIC nor A for AWESOME. I love this kind of well executed minimalist thing.

Glad you enjoyed the Let's Play thingie, too. :3

@ Bubb

Thanks to you for reading it. And once I get some free time and have had time for a long recovery period I will probably do The Summoning or something equally hybrid and old school.

@ Unkillable Cat

Hahaha, well then, I'm glad to be of service. Though now I feel kind of guilty, I'm partly doing those old adventure games to inspire people to play them, not the other way around!

@ Lightbane

Sorry for the delay, and I'm happy you enjoyed the Let's Play thingie. :3

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Black Cat said:
@ Unkillable Cat

Hahaha, well then, I'm glad to be of service. Though now I feel kind of guilty, I'm partly doing those old adventure games to inspire people to play them, not the other way around!

Sadly, some games just aren't worth bothering with once you've watched someone else play them. It's the reason why Sony and other large developers/publishers try to banstomp people who upload playthrough videos of some of their games on YouTube.

As for me personally, I've reached the point in my life where I just don't have the time or patience to play every game I want to.

Globbi

Augur
An amazing LP. The last one was a bit tough to read though, I copy-pasted every pic url because they would not show on the forum.

I would probably not get myself to play this game, not even mentioning finishing it, but it is very nice to read and watch. (getting myself into playing it would probably be much worse anyway, another way of procrastination, you saved a lot of people from this :P)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom