Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress (let's play) Temple of Flame

Paleamon

Novice
Hi there dudes. First post here in the forums! So hi all :troll:

I used to be a huge fan of those old gamebooks where you used the dice to fight monsters, and you could choose you actions step by step. Now I want to remember those good old times, and I want to play with you people!!

So I chose this book to start with:

goldendragon2.jpg

You venture into a remote jungle region in search of a temple built by a lost civilization, which is thought to contain a priceless idol. Along the way you discover your evil nemesis is looking for the relic as well...

Eh seems feisty!! I haven't played this one before... so let's get started!!

First of all, the boring part, the rules xP Fortunately, this book has very simple rules. Either way, I'm going to put links here so you guys can read the rules if you feel like, in these links explains some special rules I invented to make online play more fun, like autosaves, lifes, etc, read up it's all explained there:

Rules (as on the gamebook)
Rules (special ones to play online)

So we might as well start by defining our stats, right? If you have any doubt, see the rules or ask away:

I roll two dice and we get 6 3, we add 20 and we get 28 points of VIGOUR.
I roll one dice and we get 4. 4 + 3 is 8, so this is our PSI score.
Again, roll a dice, this time we get 6. Adding 3 points we have 9, and this is our AGILITY score.

As for the CHARACTER SHEET, for now I'm going to store it HERE , maybe i'll change the method and just put it here on the first post if it's more convenient in the future, we'll see.

And that's all I think... We can do some other things like give a name to our hero just for fun or anything you guys remember... so post if you have any idea

And now, we can begin our mighty adventure...

Paleamon

Novice
UPDATE 1
Background said:
There were three of you in the dark, damp chamber - you, Valedor and the man known as Damonir the Mad. The mists of Time disperse and seem to fly away as the scene comes sharply into focus before you again. Around you are the crumbling statues and peeling murals of that forgotten tomb. Your comrades at arms, brave knights of Palados, are stiffening corpses pierced by steel or crushed by stone somewhere in the crypts and tunnels above.

Valedor holds forth his sword and a bright lance of light illuminates a carbuncle on the face of the grotesquely carved sarcophagus. Damontir lurks mysteriously in the shadows. Suddenly there is a click and the lid of the sarcophagus swings up to reveal a bejeweled crown on the brow of the mummified corpse within. But the light from Valedor's enchanted sword has activated an ancient trap, and before you can move towards the treasure, the ground beneath you gives way and you begin to fall. You reach out and just manage to seize hold of the lip of the dark pit, but Valedor disappears into the depths with a piteous scream. You cry out to Damontir to help you. With a warm feeling of gratitude you sense him standing over you in the darkness. Then the warmth turns to a chill as you see the flash of his teeth in a wicked smile. His booted foot crunches down on your desperately clutching fingers. You can hold on no longer - you fall back into the void, blackness reaching towards you . . .

You come awake with a start, the pounding of your heart sounding in your ears like a jungle drumbeat. You are soaked in sweat and have to struggle to free yourself from the blanket that clings to your body. From outside comes the twittering of exotic birds and the flash of dawn sunlight off the river as your ship gently wends its way upstream. You have merely dreamt how, many years earlier, the sorcerer Damontir nearly put an end to your life - how, instead of following Valedor into the abyss, your fall was broken by a hidden ledge; how, though badly wounded, you climbed back to the tomb chamber to find the crown and Damontir gone. Silently, you repeat the vow you have made to yourself every morning since that far-off day: never to rest until you have avenged yourself upon the evil sorcerer.

The green banks of the jungle slide past you on either side. Occasionally a long, black shape launches into the water with a dull splash and drifts idly towards the ship. The sailors mutter that the crocodiles of Anku can bite a man in half. The crocodiles stare up at you with blinking inscrutability, then drift off like logs in the muddy ochre water. Brightly colored birds screech and cavort over the treetops. The wind slackens as you pass a bend in the river. Ahead, rising straight out of the shimmering water, stands a thin spire of crystal reaching up almost a hundred meters into the azure sky. You call to the sailors to lower the sail and drop anchor. Noon approaches - the hour which the ancient texts appoint as propitious for beginning the quest. Your steward reverently fastens the buckles and clasps of your armour - for you are the Dragon Knight of Palados, greatest warrior of the known world. He is barely able to lift your gleaming broadsword, though you take it from him and swing it without effort before sliding it into your scabbard. In the white, staring faces of the sailors you read awe and a little fear. You climb down into the rowboat by the ship's side and, standing at its prow, call for your men to cast off. As the rowers stretch and grunt over their oars, you concentrate on what lies ahead: the temple of the flame god, Katak, lost for eons in the mosquito- ridden depths of the forest, obscured by vines and creepers, surrounded by impenetrable swamp. Only a mouldering libram in the archives of Achtan, capital of great Palados, revealed the hints and clues which enabled you to deduce the temple's location.

A dark shadow obscures the sun. You look up; it is only the first of the branches overhanging the river as your boat approaches the bank. According to the age-stooped librarian in Achtan, one other person had consulted the book from which you gleaned your information. And he had visited the archives just a few weeks before you. The old librarian could not, however, recall the man's face as though a magic spell had been used to cloud his memory. You ponder this as you step nimbly from the boat. The rowers look around nervously at the rustling treetops where brilliantly hued parrots fly and monkeys crash from branch to branch. 'Watch this spot,' you tell them. 'I will signal you from here when my quest is over and I have the golden idol of Katak!' With obvious relief, they push away from the bank and head back to midstream where the ship lies at anchor. You take a last look, then turn and make your way into the waiting jungle . . .
Paragraph 1 said:
In the depths of the jungle, the thick canopy of foliage filters the sunlight into lush green and golden hues. You struggle onwards, slowly hacking with your knife through the heavy vines and creepers that block your progress. The ground underfoot squelches with mud that soon covers your boots. Mosquitoes and fantastically coloured dragonflies swarm all around in the murky, drenching heat. Snakes, basking in the midday warmth, hang in loose, lazy coils from the branches and hiss disinterestedly as you pass. A gentle breeze stirs the treetops and the sunbeams dropping through sudden chinks in the leaves are like a cascading shower of liquid gold. A parrot shrieks and flutters through a shaft of sunlight, almost dazzling you with the sudden blaze of scintillating colour as it does so.

Eventually the going gets easier. After a while you decide to take a rest. As you crouch down to sip a little water from your hip-flask, your gaze alights on an extraordinary tableau which is being enacted only a few paces away. A tiny red-faced spider monkey squats on a flat rock, staring with wide eyes at the swaying head of a large viper that is slowly weaving towards him. The monkey is frozen in terror, and is certain to die unless you choose to intervene.

If you wish to save him by killing the snake, turn to 11.

If you decide to ignore the incident and continue on your way, turn to 18.
So now YOU decide the next move, kill the snake to save the monkey, or ignore the show? Please comment and vote, or the adventure will not progress. Feel free to share any idea or suggestion.

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you wish to save him by killing the snake, turn to 11.
Clearly the Monkey will be a powerful ally.

Erebus

Arcane
Dave Morris is my favorite gamebook author, but I've only played "Temple of Flames" once and I think I got killed rather early.

Anyway, being helpful is almost never a bad idea in gamebooks and it can often be the key to victory. Let's turn to 11.

Paleamon

Novice
I’ll continue the adventure for now, even if there isn’t 5 votes yet, maybe people will start to get interested this way. Let’s do as you dudes say, and try to save the monkey:
11 said:
Without even rising from your crouch, you snap your arm straight. Your knife flashes as it spins once in the hot sunlight and buries itself in the viper's head. The little monkey watches you incredulously as you stride over to the twitching body of the snake and pull your knife free. His expression is so comical that you roar with laughter as you sheathe your knife. Strewn all around the monkey are the cracked shells of small nuts. Clearly he was enjoying his lunch so much that he failed to notice the viper's approach.

As you turn to leave the clearing, he grabs two tiny fistfuls of nuts and scampers after you. You had intended to head directly towards the Temple of Katak, but suddenly you feel a tug at your cloak and look down to see that the little monkey has grabbed its hem between his teeth. He is very insistent that you should take a different route on into the jungle.

If you do so, turn to 57.

If you would rather shake the mischievous creature off your cloak and press on as you had intended, turn to 18

Tag along with the monkey or follow our own destiny?

11_thumb.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
Let's trust the small animal with a brain the size of walnut ! Turn to 57 !

Omicron

Scholar
Crap, it isn't possible to edit our own posts?!
Yes, is think there is a time limit for everywhere except the playground though.

The button should be in the row above your post, to the left.

Monty

Arcane
Tag along with the monkey - 57

Crap, it isn't possible to edit our own posts?!

Once you pass moderation and move to 'literate' (think after 5 posts so you're nearly there) then editing will be enabled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom