Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Quest for Glory!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
41lc5.jpg

Hey, it looks like Quest for Glory had a Mini-Me way before the Austin Power's movies.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Awesome work, Lestat! Quest for Glory 2 is my fav of the series. Sure wish you would've gone as a fighter OMG SPOILER so you can become a kickass paladin or a magic user so you can do the whole WIT thing but oh well... Keep up the good work!

Texas Red

Whiner
Why did they switch from painted backround to that pixelated thing? Looks a lot worse. Reminds me how Beyond Divinity lost all its graphical appeal by switching to 3D modules :?.

Mikser

Educated
Or perhaps the original looked more like this:

[elitist][nitpick]
heros_quest.GIF

[/nitpick][/elitist]

Edit: Well played. Looking forward to the rest, QfG2 is my favourite in the series.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Am I the only one who thinks EGA is superior to VGA? Look at all the vibrant colors! Seriously. VGA just looks bland and uninteresting. Thank God they didn't make a VGA remake of #2!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I will call QfG 2 artistically superior to all other parts in the series, just because of the strikingly well-concealed limited palette and the great use of composition and-

Eh, who am I kidding, all Sierra games were beautiful. Why do they not make such good graphics anymore? The technology isn't important, it's what you do with it that counts.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jasede said:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic
I'm not.

I prefer a lot of color and the VGA-remakes of classic EGA never really did it for me. But all Sierra adventure games are awesome and hey, it's not the length of your palette that counts, it's how you us...uh, nah. Let's stop right there.

Top work. Can't wait to see the catgirl dance! :D

Top Hat

Scholar
Jasede said:
Why do they not make such good graphics anymore? The technology isn't important, it's what you do with it that counts.

Because making 3D graphics is easier on computers that doing it in 2D. I think there was a discussion on this in one of the Age of Decadence threads.

Also, because it sells. People do not have very good taste when it comes to artistic design in games - they'd prefer things to look realistic rather than being pleasant and functional.

That's not to say that you can't have good art direction in 3D. I wish there had been more adventure games released using the GrimE engine, because Grim Fandango had very good art direction, and its 3D still looks reasonably good today.

If you're looking for some very artistically stylish games that aren't techno-marvels, I recommend those made by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (www.fullyramblomatic.com). You might also look at some others made by the AGS program (www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk). But you probably know about that already.

Top Hat

Scholar
Locue said:
Oh yes. Yahtzee is especially awesome. :)

If you missed it, he's released a new game (a platformer, but it's got a lot of style). I'm not too happy with the button-mashing part where I stopped playing it.

Sort of moving back on topic, but not really, there seems to be a lot of cat people in games: Quest for Glory has about three different groups of cat people (including one group of non-cat people out in the jungle who dance and turn into cat people), Elder Scrolls, lots of MMOs; and I just noticed them in HOMM 5.

Finally moving back on topic: which one of the QFG games is the longest? Also, when you get up to QFG3, which language version are you going to play? I guess English; although the QFG collection that came out a while ago had (if I remember correctly) French, Italian and Spanish for QFG3 and German for QFG4.

Edit: I don't want to derail this thread with another post. The button-mashing in the last game is basically to avoid something unpleasant. I won't mention it now, because it's a spoiler. I don't know how prevalent it is in the game, but that one instance is quite annoying enough. Particularly when I finished it and didn't save for some reason.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Top Hat said:
Locue said:
Oh yes. Yahtzee is especially awesome. :)

If you missed it, he's released a new game (a platformer, but it's got a lot of style). I'm not too happy with the button-mashing part where I stopped playing it.
Haven't seen it yet but I'm definitely going to check it out when I can. Shame about the button-mashing, though. What's that about? More importantly; is it bad?

which one of the QFG games is the longest?
That all kind of depends on how much of the game he's going to show off. (I'm certainly hoping for more than sightseeing now when he's in Shapeir! :D ) Quest for Glory 2 is probably the longest as far as the main quest go, and also certain quests, main and side, activate only on certain days so I think it's about half a month of game days. Plus all the optional stuff you can do for extra points and experience... And honor! It's a hell of a ride.

I hope Lestat didn't mind me butting in. :)

[Jez]

Novice
The strict day thing in QfGII bugged the hell out of me since I had just finished the first and couldn't adjust

All this talk of old quest games has made me borrow my friends Space Quest collection, cheating on deadly slot machines for the win :D

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
OK, the day is dawning in Shapeir. This means that we should pay our astrologer friend another visit. Hmmm... Doesn't look very promising.
19cy9.jpg

20sx8.jpg

Good thing I know an excellent way to overcome this darkness thingy: arming myself. To the teeth!

21eb1.jpg

Issur, the local blacksmith, is a very stubborn and impolite type. He also drives a very hard bargain, and I have to pay 25 dinars for 5 daggers. inconceivable! Now let's fence the silver service. 11 dinars... Not much, but now I have enough money to buy the magic rope. The money changer also mentions that the blacksmith hides all his money in a niche under the anvil. Bwahahaha!!! Tonight I will have my revenge! For the time being, let's visit Keapon, pay for the rope and go... griffin hunting.

22bm7.jpg

Man, this beast looks dangerous! Let's use my brand new magic rope to climb up and pull out a feather. I sincerely hope that I won't awake the griffin by doing so. Phew... I'm stealthy enough. Harik still needs the Fruit, though. There is nothing left to do this day, so let's sleep untill the evening. Omar the poet will be in the inn at the sunset, and nobody knows about Shapeir more than he does.

23za8.jpg

Omar foretells that the four Elementals will attack the city shortly in the following order: Fire, Air, Earth, Water. Only a true Hero can defeat them and then confront their master in some tomb. I don't have much to do this weekend, so I guess I'll help these people.

24xt8.jpg

The time for my revenge has come. I'll rob the bastard blind. I will steal everything that isn't bolted down. Even the fucking signboard. Which happens to be a fully operational bellows. Now let's pick the lock and enter the house.

25nc8.jpg

First, let's close the door. OK, anvil is too heavy to move with my delicate feminine hands, so let's oil its base and try again. Bingo! As expected, there is a trapdoor beneath the anvil. Behind the trapdoor I find a strongbox. The lock is easy to pick, and inside lie... 100 dinars and 500 septims! Jackpot!

What will these money be spend on? Stay tuned and you will be first to find it out!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Sorry for an indecently late update, but as Jasede the Wise put it:
Jasede said:
Code:
^ Motivation
| \
|  \
|   \
|    \
|     \
*------> Progress of LP
Still, I should have more time this week, and chances of finishing QfG 2 in a couple of days are pretty high.

26.jpg

Anyway, it looks like the shitstorm has finally begun. Let's visit Aziza once again, she could give some advice.

First, some general trivia about all Elementals:
27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Weaken, capture, enjoy a pet Elemental. I love this job!

Second, something useful concerning Fire Elementals in particular:
30.jpg

Harik had a certain pyromaniacal look about him, so he could know a way to lure the Elemental in the narrow alleys of Shapeir.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Calm down, Harik, and tell me what the fuck doest this mean.

34.jpg

Uh... Yeah. Sure. Whatever you say. Just keep your hands where I can see them. The advice isn't that bad, though, and Harik even gives some incense for free after you mention that it can save the city, so it's worth a try. Now we need a suitable container. A brass lamp should do the trick, and the lamp vendor happens to do his business just outside the Apothecary. How wonderfully convenient. There is really nothing more to do this day. Back to the inn, and let's have a night of sleep.

35.jpg

Meet the Fire Elemental! Where did I put this incense...

36.jpg

Come kitty, kitty, kitty...

37.jpg

Let's give it a little shower with a waterskin and...
38.jpg

...put him in the lamp. Man, all this Hero business isn't all that hard as some people tend to believe. Still, we don't have much time to rest. According to Omar, the Air Elemental should attack the city in a day or two. Aziza, I need your help again.

39.jpg

Apparently, I need to immobilize the Elemental with earth somehow. Keapon may know the details.

40.jpg

And that he does. Throwing mud in it should suffice. Doesn't sound too hard, and Keapon even gives a pot of mud for free. Merchants here are very generous.

41.jpg

I have a few days to spend until the Elemental attacks. Sparring with Uhura in the Guild is a good way to pass some time, and Rakeesh even rewards us with some money for capturing the Fire Elemental.

42.jpg

Finally, the D-Day comes. Am I fully equipped? Dirt? Check. Healing/Vigor Pills? Check. Container? Fuck. I totally forgot about the container... or did I? The bellows I "borrowed" from the smith will make an excellent container.

43.jpg

Time to kick some ass.

44.jpg

This Elemental is evasive and can deflect dirt, but I finally manage to throw some right inside it.

45.jpg

Have you ever wanted to have a pet vortex? In this game you can.

46.jpg

Will Jack be able to capture another two Elementals? Or maybe his butt will finally ger kicked? There is only one way to find out: check this thread tomorrow.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
You're welcome as always, TWD.

This is the longest update yet, mainly due to the sheer number of screenshots.

The next Elemental we're to face is an Earth Elemental. Obviously, these guys hit pretty hard, so Jack will need to keep some distance. Let's drop by Aziza's place and ask her about these creatures.
47.jpg

48.jpg

Vulnerable to flame? I think I know where it goes and I don't like it.

Nothing happens for a couple of days, so Jack has plenty of time to spar with Uhura. It's a good way to build up Agility, Strength and Luck.

One evening Omar the poet performs in the Katta's Tail once more. This time Jack's victory on the Elementals are the subject of his poems.
49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

He also pays 50 dinars for capturing the Air Elemental on behalf of the sultan. Looks like I managed to catch the attention of royalty.

53.jpg

Finally! I have been getting bored! OK, I need some sort of weapon to fight the Elemental. A flaming weapon... Harik!

54.jpg

How cryptic. Well, what can you tell me about the Earth then?

55.jpg

Not again, for God's sake!

56.jpg

57.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I got it! You've already shown me all this before! Could you tell something useful, pleeease?

58.jpg

So you're useless after all?

59.jpg

Why didn't you mention the Powder before? All these flashy special effects are cool, but there's a hulking monster destroying the city out there. Now tell me more about this powder.

60.jpg

Was it really necessary to mention this part?

61.jpg

Splendid! Can I have some?

62.jpg

:Growl:

63.jpg

You bet I am!

64.jpg

Conversation skills FTW!

65.jpg

This guy is obsessed with fire.

Now we need to find the Elemental.

66.jpg

Looks intimidating. Fortunately, it's slow and makes an easy target in the narrow alley.

67.jpg

Take this!

68.jpg

Only one Elemental left. Hmmm... I think I recall Aziza mentioning that the remains of the Earth Elemental can be used to get the Fruit of Compassion. To the desert!

69.jpg

OK, here's the Plant. What was I supposed to do? First gift is something you give to anyone you meet in the desert. It's a simple one.
70.jpg

Now we need to remind her what it means to be a human.
71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

Hey, it worked! Sort of...

The Earth is the next gift.
74.jpg

Let's brag a bit.
75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

What next? Some hot tree-hugging action if I'm not mistaken. Close your eyes if you're underaged.
78.jpg

Now we need to call her by her name...
79.jpg

80.jpg

And the Fruit is ours! Now we have everything Harik needs to brew the dispel potion.

81.jpg

First let's describe him the Elemental as promised. He's a madman. Now take the ingredients and give me the potion!

82.jpg

How generous of him.

But there's a catch...
83.jpg

You can't just throw the potion in the victim. You also need to add the victim's hair to the potion if you want it to have effect.

Now where can I find an enchanted beast? The desert is always a good place to look for exotic creatures.

84.jpg

What the hell is this thing? Am I supposed to get its hair? Wonderful...

Well, let's give it some water to keep it occupied.
85.jpg

86.jpg

Now we can snatch some hair. Let's give it the potion. The creature is so thirsty that it'll drink anything.

87.jpg

Let's see if the potion has any effect.

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

So a crazy sorcerer is watching me now? It keeps getting better and better. I wonder if our new enemy has anything to do with disappearance of the emir...

Will Jack Bauer be able to save the city from dehydration? Who is Ad Avis and what is his role in what is happening in the land of Shapeir? Don't miss the next chapter of this exciting saga! Coming tomorrow, if I'm not too lazy.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Only one Elemental left to capture. As always, let's chat with Aziza about it.
95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

Sounds pretty dangerous. But I happen to have more air than anyone can possibly handle right with me...

Two days later...
99.jpg

Why do they always attack the city while I'm trying to have a breakfast? :Sigh: Very well, let's finish it.

100.jpg

As should be expected, the Elemental took over the fountain and the citizens will die of thirst unless I do something.

101.jpg

Let's make a simple trap for the Elemental by putting a waterskin down near the fountain.

102.jpg

Then we use the bellows to drive it from the fountain and...

103.jpg

...the Elemental is trapped in the waterskin. Now we have an unlimited supply of water with us. What else can one possibly dream of in the desert?

104.jpg

The Kattas are grateful for saving the city and decide to give me a special gift.

105.jpg

A lockpick that doesn't look like one and can be easily smuggled in almost any place one can think off!

Shameen has some news:
106.jpg

Excellent! She may have thoughts concerning the mysterious sorcerer from Rasier.

On the next morning:
108.jpg

109.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I know it: I saved you all from the certain death, bla bla bla... Cut it, girl, would you?

110.jpg

Now that's interesting.

111.jpg

That's what I was thinking of as well.

112.jpg

And what are you doing here?

113.jpg

You will?

114.jpg

If you say so...

115.jpg

Yeah, obviously. I knew the saurus was enchanted the moment I saw it. Yeah.

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

Creepy...

122.jpg

Actually, I have some dispell potion with me...

123.jpg

...but I guess the writer didn't account for such possibility.

Anyway, before wel leave for Raseir there's another Omar's perfomance at the inn.
125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

It's boring as always, but Omar pays 100 dinars for capturing the Earth and Water Elementals, so there's a good reason to attend.

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

Apparently, they didn't have enough time or money to actually animate this sequence.

[Insert suitably heroic music here]
135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

Wait, weren't you supposed to stay with Aziza?

139.jpg

Time to join the caravan!

140.jpg

Hey, what's this little figure at the left?

141.jpg

Apparently, it's a bandit scout. Fuck.

142.jpg

Ready for an epic battle scene?

143.jpg

What. The. Fuck.

144.jpg

145.jpg

I hate commercials! We missed all the fun!

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

No animation again.

150.jpg

Welcome to Raseir! To say that the city looks inhospitable is to say nothing at all.

What dangers await Jack behind the city gate? Why did Aziza find Raseir impossible to probe with her magic? The answers to these question you will find here tomorrow.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, sweet. Carry on; the people demand closure. Also, when you get to the *spoiler* you could try *spoiling* for naked chicks; I never tried that.

Andhaira

Arcane
Can't wait until qfg4, the best of the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom