Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Phantasy Star IV! Don't call me Shorty! Update 2

Sinestris

Novice
Update The First: Intimidation Tactics 101

Screenshots Taken For This Update: 410 (Ow.)
Screenshots Total: 410

Once upon a time (1994, to be precise), SEGA made RPGs. Good RPGs. Games that had interesting characters, solid plots, and fun battles. What happened? I suspect Sonic the Hedgehog happened.

But before SEGA disappeared down the blue-tinted drain… they made an incredible game called Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium for the Genesis. It had good music, a great story, graphics that pushed what the Genesis was capable of at the time, an incredibly awesome set of antagonists and the most touching death scene in gaming. *sniff*

And we’re gonna play it.

Hey Sin, what’s with these Conversations Within Elsydeon?

Conversations Within Elsydeon were started by Joel Fagin on the now sadly defunct Phantasy Star Discussion Board. They’re silly, funny, and if you get the references, often distinctly irreverent. I contributed a few back in the day, but the only ones you’ll see here are Joel’s. Why? Because I can, and because they add a little mwaha and pizzazz to the game.

The Japanese ad for the game.

up1001.jpg

Narrator: The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens. Four bells tolled. Four torches were lit. And the world continued for hundreds of years…

The End of the Millenium – The theme music of the game. Very nice indeed.

up1002.jpg

up1003.jpg

up1004.jpg

up1005.jpg

up1006.jpg

up1007.jpg

alystalk.gif
: You’d better put your heart into it!

up1008.jpg

alystalk.gif
: From this day on, you are a full-fledged partner! Now come on! Let’s go!

up1009.jpg

alystalk.gif
: It’s a bit far. We’re going to Motavia Academy in the town of Piata.

chaztalk.gif
: Wow! So we’re going to the Town of Learning! I wonder what’s happened there?

Ahhh, Japan, you and your strange love of Random Capital Letters.

alystalk.gif
: Who knows? The message said ‘Just come.’ We’ll get the details once we’re there.

up1010.jpg

chaztalk.gif
: …the Academy.

alystalk.gif
: Is that all you can think about? Get moving or I’ll leave you behind!

up1011.jpg

Narrator: …more frequent and powerful, an elite few begin to wonder what is behind this outbreak… and when and how will it all end?

up1012.jpg

chaztalk.gif
: I’ve got to find her…

up1013.jpg

Scientist: I’m so frightened, I can’t even think about my research!

up1014.jpg

Oh for… Chaz is not the brightest of protagonists…
emotsuicidec.gif

alystalk.gif
: Chaz, where have you been? C’mon, let’s go!

chaztalk.gif
: But…

alystalk.gif
: We have to see the principal and get the details about this commission.

up1015.jpg

chaztalk.gif
: Hmm… a person from two thousand years ago.

Whee! Throwback references already! Lubetz (known in the States as Luveno) was a scientist from Phantasy Star 1. He pretty much single-handedly made the ship that Alis, Myau, Odin and Noah used to travel between the three planets of the Algo solar system; Motavia, the desert planet; Palma, the forested planet; and Dezolis, the ice planet.

Apparently he’s a god now. Who knew?

Incidentally, the Algo solar system actually exists, and is known in some circles as Medusa’s Eye. Alis and co fought Medusa. I love these games.

up1016.jpg

Researcher: confusion by the destruction of Mother Brain. After that, Motavia sustained a direct hit by a fragment of the exploding planet Parma. Our civilisation was almost destroyed. We call this the ‘Great Collapse.’ …Oh, I didn’t realise you weren’t students.

And more!

Mother Brain was the trump card of mankind. We destroyed Earth, and so we emigrated to Algo on a great colony ship called Noah. When we reached Algo, we found the native Palmans in chaos, the planets Motavia and Palma having swapped orbits not long before. They adapted their AI, Mother Brain, to stabilise the two planets. They would slowly make Motavia habitable, and when the time came, they would reveal themselves as the saviours of the Algo system, and all they wanted in return was a portion of Motavia for themselves.

Then Dark Force got onto the ship and corrupted Mother Brain, setting the events of Phantasy Star 2 into motion. We know that Rolf and his friends eventually destroyed Mother Brain, but not before she orchestrated the utter destruction of Palma. Later on, we’ll find out just why that is incredibly bad.

"I can't believe Rolf actually opened it. I mean it had 'Pandora' written on the top and everything. I bet he touches wet paint to see if it's still sticky." - Amy, Conversations Within Elsydeon

up1017.jpg

Woman: men carried a big parcel into the Academy! This happened some time ago, but I wonder what it could’ve been.

Oooooh, interesting.

up1018.jpg

…Okay then. Moving right along.

up1019z.jpg

hahntalk.gif
: the principal commissioned? It would be nice if he’s a dependable kind of guy…

alystalk.gif
: He’s not listening to anything people are saying.

But… but nobody said anything!

up1020.jpg

Principal: I’m the principal of this academy. Let’s see, you must be Alys, the hunter, and you are her assistant, Chaz.

alystalk.gif
: Forgive me, but Chaz is a full-fledged partner of mine. Now, let’s get down to business. Describe the situation.

Principal: Ah…

up1021.jpg

Principal: appear in this academy! It appears they have made the basement their headquarters. I’ve since closed it off. So far, no one’s been hurt, but who knows when they’ll appear again? Please, I beg you to destroy all those creatures! Ah… I’d like to settle this matter discreetly, I’m counting on your reputation, Alys.

alystalk.gif
: No problem. You can rely on us. Although, it’s strange that all those monsters suddenly appeared in this academy. Usually monsters don’t come into inhabited areas. Do you have any idea how this happened?

up1022.jpg

Principal: Stop asking questions. Just hurry and exterminate those monsters! Don’t forget, I’m paying you dearly for your services!

up1023.jpg

alystalk.gif
: That principal was hiding something.

chaztalk.gif
: Maybe he’s afraid of the monsters?

alystalk.gif
: I think there’s more to it than that. Things are starting to get interesting!

up1024.jpg

alystalk.gif
: You don’t think we can do the job?

hahntalk.gif
: No, no not at all! I didn’t mean that!

alystalk.gif
: Since we have the principal’s permission, let us pass.

hahntalk.gif
: Wait! Take me with you!

alystalk.gif
: Hmm. And why should we?

up1025.jpg

hahntalk.gif
: I am assistant at this academy. I work for Professor Holt, who has gone to investigate Birth Valley for his research. We haven’t heard from him since. So, now I am searching for the professor’s whereabouts!

chaztalk.gif
: Birth Valley… that’s that mysterious place that has been called the sacred valley of life.

alystalk.gif
: But what’s the connection between the valley and this current monster scare?

hahntalk.gif
: After the investigation team, led by the professor, was reported missing, the principal barred everyone from entering Birth Valley! We’re trying to get information as to what’s going on, but he keeps evading the issue. And then this monster scare begins! I’ll bet anything there is some kind of connection between these incidents.

alystalk.gif
: Well it’s true that there is something fishy about the principal’s behaviour.

hahntalk.gif
: Given the circumstances, I feel compelled to investigate the basement myself. But come to think of it, it is a bit dangerous…

alystalk.gif
: So you were just waiting for us to arrive?

hahntalk.gif
: Well, ah, yes. You catch on quick!

*facepalm* Well done, Hahn…

up1026.jpg

hahntalk.gif
: What?

alystalk.gif
: We’ll take you with us for 100 meseta. I hope you weren’t thinking of asking to tag along with us for free?

hahntalk.gif
: Er… I can’t get that kind of money from the principal…

alystalk.gif
: That’s not my problem. Now, what are you going to do?

hahntalk.gif
: …Ok, I’ll pay…

I love this woman. Alys is possibly the most incredibly awesome woman in the history of video gaming. And we get all the money she extorts from Hahn. :D

up1027.jpg

Alys is nicely balanced. She starts with some solid Techniques:
techicon.gif
Foi,
techicon.gif
Shift, and
techicon.gif
Saner. Fire damage, single target attack boost, and full party agility boost. We will be abusing those Techniques like mad for a few boss fights later in the game.

She also starts with 5 uses of
skillicon.gif
Vortex, a nice single-target attack that does about 50-70 damage. This early in the game, that’s pretty devastating.

up1028.jpg

Chaz is also nicely balanced, and will become very, very powerful with both attacks and techniques by the endgame. He starts with
techicon.gif
Res, a single target heal that’s basically a full heal for the time being.

He also has three uses of
skillicon.gif
Earth, which paralyses an enemy. It’s pretty unpredictable, and we won’t use it for any purpose beyond me getting a shot of it at some point.

up1029.jpg

Hahn’s our magic user for quite some time. We’ll be joined temporarily by an uber-mage, but Hahn will be our reliable little thrower of Techniques for pretty much the first act of the game. He starts with
techicon.gif
Res, and
techicon.gif
Gelun.
techicon.gif
Gelun drains attack power, which can neutralise enemies in a decent amount of places. A lot of people talk about it being useless, but I personally think it’s brilliant.

He also gets five uses of
skillicon.gif
Vision, which boosts Dexterity. It’s a very yummy skill, and great for boss fights.

up1030.jpg

…is it just me, or is that a surprisingly cute abomination in the eyes of god?

Meet Them Head On – Battle theme.

up1031.jpg

Monomates are healing items, and worth about 40-50 HP a pop. They only stay useful for a while, but dammit, healing is healing.

up1032.jpg

ACK! Not so cute any more!

up1033.jpg

One of the best features in this game is the ability to set up macros. While they can be used as a cheap way of avoiding telling everyone to just smack something, their usefulness really shines once we get some fun setups down the line. They’re also the best way to try and pull of Combination Attacks, which I will talk about when I can actually show you one. You act in the order set in the Macro, so it’s generally best to put your fastest characters first and slowest ones last.

up1034.jpg

Those big fellas hit hard for this stage of the game, so smacking a
techicon.gif
Gelun on them can be useful. Keep about 6 TP in reserve, though, for the upcoming boss.

up1035.jpg

I think we just stole the entire History department’s funding for the next year.

up1036.jpg

techicon.gif
Wat is freakin’ sweet. Cold damage is the best damage we can do for quite a long time, because almost everything on Motavia is weak against it. This already makes Hahn a powerhouse.

up1037.jpg

up1038.jpg

Defeat at a Blow! – Boss Theme

Oh my GOD this boss is cheap. Not cheap as in a bastard, cheap as in insanely grindable. He only has two moves: Fission, which summons a peon who can be one-shotted by Chaz, and a spray of fire, which does about 3 damage to Hahn and 1 damage to Alys and Chaz. It only uses the fire if it can’t summon a minion, so unless you suck it will never attack. If you want to grind for a couple of cheap levels, just have Alys defend, Chaz attack the most recently spawned minion, and Hahn either attack the minion or the boss. By the time it drops, you can get a while TON of experience. However, I didn’t want to spend eternity killing it, so I dropped two of Alys’
skillicon.gif
Vortex on it. It still took half an hour.

up1039.jpg

alystalk.gif
: Chaz! You need more practice. Your swing is too slow!

chaztalk.gif
: What? But we destroyed the monster…

alystalk.gif
: With my help…

chaztalk.gif
: Sorry…

alystalk.gif
: Now, Hahn? Come over here.

hahntalk.gif
: What?

alystalk.gif
: What are these glass containers for?

hahntalk.gif
: These…

chaztalk.gif
: Hey, are you by any chance breeding monsters here? If that’s the case, this monster business is no mystery after all!

hahntalk.gif
: I… I don’t know anything! It’s the first time I’ve been in this room! I’ve only just learned that such a thing exists at the academy!

While the translation is generally pretty good, sometimes we get lines like that…

alystalk.gif
: Um…

hahntalk.gif
: Really, it’s the truth!

alystalk.gif
: I believe you… for now.

hahntalk.gif
: The principal must know about these containers!

chaztalk.gif
: He must also know the connection between this and the disappearance of Professor Holt.

alystalk.gif
: Yes, let’s see the principal again. C’mon, Chaz!

hahntalk.gif
: Hey! Don’t leave me here!

up1040.jpg

Principal: Were you able to defeat those monsters?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand he’s a dead man.

alystalk.gif
: Yes, but there’s something I want to ask you.

Principal: What?

alystalk.gif
: Is it just my imagination that I saw some strange things in the basement?

Principal: Ah…

up1041.jpg

alystalk.gif
: Someone keeping information from me is the sixth most dangerous thing in this world!

Taking votes on the top five!

Principal: All right already… I’ll tell you what I know. You are aware of the recent outbreak of a new breed of monster?

alystalk.gif
: Oh yes. Thanks to the outbreak I’m not hurting for work.

Principal: Three months ago, Holt identified Birth Valley as the origin of the outbreak, and he went to investigate… He says he discovered the remains of an ancient and advanced civilisation! The investigation team brought back the monster breeding capsules, and immediately set forth on their second investigative mission. But…

hahntalk.gif
: Not one of them came back…

Principal: Yes, that’s right, Hahn.

hahntalk.gif
: And despite all this, you didn’t send out a rescue team and banned entry to Birth Valley!

Principal: No, no! I… I was trying to send a rescue team! But…

alystalk.gif
: Something happened?

Principal: At that moment, a man who called himself ‘Zio’ appeared before my eyes…

alystalk.gif
: Zio! I’ve heard of him. That fake magician!

Start Flashback…

up1042.jpg

ziotalk.gif
: How are you doing?

Principal: Who… who are you?

ziotalk.gif
: My name is Zio… Zio the black magician. Do not intrude on Birth Valley.

Principal: What do you mean?

ziotalk.gif
: In the future, if you ever let anyone set foot in Birth Valley…

up1043.jpg

ziotalk.gif
: Let me make something clear… There is no need for you to go to Birth Valley!

End flashback. That was refreshingly short.

Zio is an awesome villain. He does nothing without a reason, he doesn’t just go torment and annoy the heroes, and quite frankly… he’s already most of the way to victory. And dear lord, when he drops the act and gets serious… he’s utterly, utterly terrifying. Fuck Sephiroth, that silver-haired git has NOTHING on Zio.

hahntalk.gif
: It’s related to the research team!

chaztalk.gif
: So that’s why the Birth Valley situation wasn’t announced, and also why you tried to keep a lid on the monster situation. But… what is all this about? Remains of an ancient advanced civilisation and Zio?

alystalk.gif
: It seems like these are signs of something to come.

hahntalk.gif
: I need to help the professor! I’m going to Birth Valley!

up1044.jpg

alystalk.gif
: This is egg-laying season for sand worms, so be careful.

hahntalk.gif
: Ah… Alys?

alystalk.gif
: We’ll tag along for 300 meseta plus expenses.

I love this woman.

hahntalk.gif
: Ah… deal! Birth Valley is to the northeast! Let’s hurry!

up1045.jpg

Next time: Wait, we’re on the world map already?

"Waaiiit a minute! The Principal never paid us!" - Chaz, Realisations Within Elsydeon

Character Introduction: Alys “The Eight Stroke Sword” Brangwin

alys.jpg

Alys is awesome. She can deal solid damage with her attack techniques, has some of the nicest support techniques in the game, and can hit all enemies on screen with her normal attack. Give her two slicers and she can set up easy kills for the rest of the party. She should always act at the beginning of your ‘Attack Shit’ Macro. She’s also able to set up some nice Combo Attacks, as I’ll try to show you later.

Set her first in your lineup until Chaz hits about Level 7, because she can negate more damage than he can until that point. Do not hesitate to abuse
techicon.gif
Saner and
techicon.gif
Shift during boss battles.

"Stop rubbing against my legs. That's not what 'Eight Strokes' means." - Alys to Myau, Conversations Within Elsydeon

Looking forward to seeing this one too.

Its Phantasy Star.

If I wasn't lazy I would do 2 just because its one of my favorite RPGs of all time. (And Ultima 5 & Fallout 2 have probably been covered by more LPs by this point anyhow. 1990 released Genesis RPG isn't gonna be hugely known by anyone outside of Segafans who aren't Sonic worshipping furry scum.)

spekkio

Arcane
Old Phantasy Star instead of some new PSO shit.
That's a definite :incline:

lightbane

Arcane
YAY! PHantasy star IV!! Played the game ages ago, but never finished it. Keep with it! Also, is Alys the prototype EXTREME female Shepard? How do you recharge your uses for the special techniques btw?

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Oh man, the first game I played and loved in my childhood that was more complex than Sonic 2.

Honestly I don't think I could bring myself to play through it now, so this LP should be a nice nostalgia trip.

Sinestris

Novice
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been off the radar for a couple of weeks, I've been attending microbiology classes, doing my job, and dealing with overexaggerated family crises the last couple of weeks, and frankly I am up to a massive level of HATE that only a few rounds of beating the tar out of Tidus in Dissidia has been able to relieve.

However, this week should be a lot calmer, and I will hopefully be updating sometime either tomorrow night or Wednesday, depending on how things go tomorrow.

Captain Rufus - If you don't wanna LP it, point me in the direction of a decent walkthrough and I'll do it when I'm done with IV. I've never managed to finish II, mostly because I kept getting SERIOUSLY SMEGGING LOST in the second dungeon and it makes my blood pressure go up alarmingly quickly.

Spekkio - Old school Phantasy Star all the way, baby. This is back in the days when RPGs had to be, you know, interesting instead of just pretty pretty. (The fact that my favourite RPG released in the last decade is Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana should give you an idea of my general discontent at the state of modern gaming.)

Lightbane - Stopping at an Inn recovers full HP and TP and recharges our skills. There'll be other ways to do it later in the game, but I won't mention them til we get there.

phanboy_iv - Your name says it all, my friend. :cool: Phantasy Star IV is the first RPG where I went from 'well that sucks, I lost my healer' (Aeris) to genuinely crying when... well, I won't say any more because FUCK SPOILERS.

Sinestris

Novice
Update the Second: I am like, so STONED right now…

Screenshots taken for this update: 155
Screenshots total: 565

up2001.jpg

Last time, we’d left Piata on our way to Birth Valley to go rescue Professor Holt, and Alys has extorted a few hundred meseta from Hahn. I love that woman so much.

up2002.jpg

We ran into some big-ass flies, which Alys slaughtered with her single crappy boomerang. Said crappy boomerang will soon be replaced and sold for Monomates.

up2003.jpg

Chaz leveled up and learned
techicon.gif
Tsu. This technique and it’s upgraded counterparts are fucking epic. Not a single damn foe in the entire game is resistant to them – they have their own element! – and in fact most of the bosses are WEAK to them.

up2004.jpg

So I promptly set up my first Combination Attack macro. Macros are the BEST way bar none to make a Combination Attack actually work. They go off when the characters involved use specific actions at the same time, often turning an attack from ‘fuck that stings’ to ‘oh CHRIST the flesh is melting off my boooooooooooooooooones!’ Abuse them. You know you want to.

As the order doesn’t matter much for this particular attack (which it will for some of the really fun ones later in the game), I put Hahn first because he has the lowest speed, and Alys last because she usually tops the initiative.

up2005.jpg

I tried fifteen fucking times to get a shot of Triblaster actually going off. And I’ll try again next update, but for now you can have a shot of all three members of the party looking like extras from a 1950’s sci-fi B-Movie.

"Oh, Myau and I had a sort of combination attack. We called it 'unbearable cuteness'." - Alis, Conversations Within Elsydeon

The yellow text means that Hahn is poisoned. An antidote is good, but the instant one of us gets Anti I’m never buying one again.

up2006.jpg

Welcome to ‘scenic’ Mile. These people are bat-shit insane.

up2007d.jpg

…I rest my case.

up2008.jpg

…Why is it’s map spite blue? I can assure you, they’re not blue and they hurt like buggery.

<DougAnthonyAllStars>Nah, Sin, nothin’ hurts like buggery.</DougAnthonyAllStars>

up2009.jpg

Rancher: And this is our newly built sand worm ranch. What do you think? Isn’t it great? This will attract a lot of tourists!

… *facepalm*

up2010.jpg

Gormless Villager: I could have sworn that one night there was nothing and the next day there was. It must’ve been my imagination, don’t you think?

… *facepalm*

up2011.jpg

Lazy Hunter: Someone must go and make sure. I, uh, I’m too busy, so I can’t go.

… *facepalm*

up2012.jpg

Dumbass Housewife: I’m sick and tired of this!

If I don’t stop facepalming I’m going to end up with a flat nose.

up2013.jpg

The only reason Alys allows these moron townsfolk to keep living. The Weapon Shop!

up2014q.jpg

We get two Slashers for Alys, doubling her attack power.
emot3x.gif

up2015.jpg

A Steel Sword for Chaz, taking the first step towards turning him into the powerhouse he’s going to be in fairly short order.

up2016.jpg

And we give Hahn one of Chaz’s old Hunting Knives, letting him do actual physical damage at last.

up2017.jpg

We visit the Inn for some cheap healing and Skill restoration, and then we get the hell out of Dodge… er, Mile.

up2018.jpg

We get to Zema, and, well fuck. Looks like Zio wasn’t just fucking around with the Principal.

up2019.jpg

Through the blindingly obvious doorway into the dungeon…

up2020.jpg

Welcome to Birth Valley. It’s full of shitty useless treasure, healing potions, and flying plants that spit acid at us.

up2021.jpg

A shield for Hahn, saving us having to wait until Tonoe *shudder* to increase his defence.

up2022.jpg

Down the stairs and to the left, we find this poor bastard.

up2023.jpg

chaztalk.gif
: What on earth?

alystalk.gif
: An ancient curse? I can’t believe someone is able to cast such a spell in this day and age!

hahntalk.gif
: Isn’t there any way to restore them?

alystalk.gif
: I’ve heard that a medicine called ‘Alshline’ is able to turn stone back to flesh.

Phantasy Star 1 reference! Alis Landale (no fucking relation you putzes) was told by her dying brother Nero to seek Odin’s help in her quest to destroy Lassic. Only one problem – Odin was turned to stone! Eventually she traded a Laconian Pot for Myau, an adorable fuzzy yellow kitty
emot3x.gif
with a bottle of Ashline around his neck. Odin had put it there because he was going to fight Medusa. He forgot something though.

Cats don’t have opposable thumbs.
emotsuicidec.gif

"Ha. Ha. Very funny. Now someone give me a bottle opener before I die of thirst." - Myau, Conversations Within Elsydeon

hahntalk.gif
: Where can we find it?

alystalk.gif
: I heard about it some time ago in a Motavian village… But, we’re talking some time ago.

chaztalk.gif
: Which Motavian village?

alystalk.gif
: It’s the village of Molcum, which is far south of here.

hahntalk.gif
: All right, then. Let’s get going!

up2024.jpg

alystalk.gif
: I’ll make you a deal – just 500 meseta.

up2025.jpg

I LOVE THIS WOMAN.

up2026.jpg

I ran into a couple of these giant bastards along the way. 12 HP is a LOT when you’ve only got 48 maximum and the crawlers are going 7 HP with each attack. OW.

up2027.jpg

And here’s Molcum. It’s not a long trip… unless you’re getting ambushed by fucking Locustas every couple of steps.

I have really shitty luck with random encounters.

up2028.jpg

Welcome to Molcum, a lovely quiet Motavian village…

up2029.jpg

…FUCK.

up2030.jpg

On the upside…
extraadore.gif

Thray/Rune (Depends on what language you speak…)

up2031.jpg

up2032.jpg

*happy dance* This is Rune. He is the most awesome character in this game, with Alys coming a very, very close second. He and Alys know each other, although how is never explained in-game. I’ll dig out a link to Darrell Whitney’s ‘Techniques of Chaos’ fiction when we get to the Rune stuff later on, it’s a good read. (Yes, I’m going to ask you to read. I’m an evil bitch, I know.)

chaztalk.gif
: Alys, you know this guy?

alystalk.gif
: From a long time ago…

up2033.jpg

runetalk.gif
: He’s still a kid.

chaztalk.gif
: Watch what you say!

alystalk.gif
: Stop it, you two. More importantly, Rune, what’s going on?

runetalk.gif
: This is all the handiwork of Zio.

chaztalk.gif
: Zio! I bet you the person who turned the people of Zema into stone is also…

runetalk.gif
: Well, your brain seems to work a little bit.

*snicker*

chaztalk.gif
: You…

alystalk.gif
: Cut it out! It seems that everywhere we go, it’s always Zio. Who is this Zio?

runetalk.gif
: I’m not sure.

hahntalk.gif
: With the town destroyed, how are we going to find Alshline?

runetalk.gif
: You’re looking for Alshline? In that case, you’d better go to Tonoe.

FUCK!

hahntalk.gif
: Tonoe?

Tonoe. Tonoe. …I’ll fetch me coat.

runetalk.gif
: Let’s see... from here, it’s kind of far. First travel east to the village of Krup. And from there if you go north, you’ll find a valley that leads to Tonoe.

In this game, Valley = Cave.

hahntalk.gif
: We don’t have to pass by Krup, do we?

chaztalk.gif
: Why?

hahntalk.gif
: Ah, let’s just head straight towards Tonoe! Alys?

alystalk.gif
: I haven’t decided yet.

runetalk.gif
: I’m going to invite myself to join your group.

up2034.jpg

chaztalk.gif
: Not so fast!

up2035.jpg

Holy crap she’s blushing. I’d put down good money on their former relationship being of a biblical nature, if you follow me.

chaztalk.gif
: Alys!

runetalk.gif
: Good, we’re all set. And Shorty, try not to get in the way.

chaztalk.gif
: Stop calling me Shorty! My name is…

runetalk.gif
: Chaz, that’s what you said your name was, right? Hmmph, what a stupid name!

…Is there something you feel you ought to be telling us, Rune?

chaztalk.gif
: Alys, I think he’s going to be more trouble than he’s worth!

runetalk.gif
: Ha, I won’t get in anyone’s way.

alystalk.gif
: You already have,

hahntalk.gif
: Ah… I’m a little uneasy about our destination.

up2036.jpg

Next time: Embarrassing photos and the most Annoying. Fucking. Music. Ever.

Character Introduction: Chaz “Shorty” Ashley

chazn.jpg

Oh Chaz. He starts off as a little putz, but he improves and matures during the game. He’s your typical sword-swinging JRPG hero… except that he’s actually, you know, likable, and not an emo dropkick who needs to be punted out the nearest window. (Paging Squall Leonhart…) He’s with us for the whole game, so he damn well better be tolerable.

Chaz wields a sword, a REAL sword, not a fuck-off insanely big sword. He can also use two daggers, but he misses out on the defence bonuses and awesome special abilities on some of the later swords, not to mention the Best Weapon In The Entire Fucking Series. With the possible exception of Kireek’s Soul Eater in Online. He gets the
techicon.gif
Tsu family of Techniques, which is downright obscene, the
techicon.gif
Res series, which let him heal himself when our primary healer(s) are busy, and
techicon.gif
Hinas and
techicon.gif
Ryuka, which let us teleport out of dungeons and from city to city respectively.

Chaz belongs on your frontline whenever you don’t have androids in your party, and second when you do. He has high HP and solid armour, so he’ll never be weak, although it does take entirely too long for his TP to catch up with the awesome he’s capable of throwing out there.

lightbane

Arcane
I foresee that guy will either be a traitor/evil, or he'll die horribly (and these two fates aren't exclusive), normally is what tends to happen...

Sinestris

Novice
Phantasy Star IV is not a normal game. All bets are off. (You know, except for ones I may make regarding backstory... :lol:

Oh Hey You Guys Can Totally Vote On Something Here

Do you guys want me to

a.) break this game, using every little trick, tactic and technique I've ever picked up to make this game easy as fuck...

or...

b.) Go the hard route, give Chaz and a later character a couple of knives, NOT abuse all my tricks and tactics, not abuse every combination attack I know (except for demonstration purposes), and take everything as it comes without using my foreknowledge?

Option a.) means we finish this faster. Option b.) means I'll be swearing like a wounded pirate for half the time and praying for a miracle the other half.

Cheat. Its 2010. The JRPG Grind O Ramas don't much work any more. (And if they did, FF8 killed it with shitty game mechanics, and Squall being horrible as you mentioned. Squall was so bad I was a late 90s early 00s Codexian before this place existed. HE MADE ME HATE AN ENTIRE GENRE OF VIDEOGAMES AND TURNED ME INTO A RAGING DOUCHE.)

Make it easy on yourself.

Besides, my ass probably won't do PS2 anyhow. Ive only done one LP on SA, which was Valis 1, which has been lost to the mists of time. (And the entire LP took less screenshots than each of your updates.)

I was working on one for the first English language designed for CD RPG I know of (Cosmic Fantasy 2), but the thought of early 90s JRPG grinding put that one to bed.

Which means you will probably be doing it unless my ass unslacks itself in a week or so.

spekkio

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:
Squall was so bad I was a late 90s early 00s Codexian before this place existed. HE MADE ME HATE AN ENTIRE GENRE OF VIDEOGAMES AND TURNED ME INTO A RAGING DOUCHE.)

Fuck you, haters! Squall was the 1st true homo-emo in gaming and by that - a true patriot (a.k.a. decline supporter)! After FF8 jRPGs finally embraced not only horny-male part of the fanbase

vo1s48.jpg

but also bishi-loving female (?) part.

29gdgx.jpg

nnu0ys.jpg

Bioware caught up with this gay-trend only recently:

24bul9l.jpg

Everything for our fans the jewgold.

28we2yv.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, I want to make a Phantasy star run from 1 to 4 --sometime soon-- and maybe also try some of the spin-offs. Since there's PS accumulated wisdom here, I'm asking here instead of looking in the nets. Which are the best versions (that can be emulated) and they are in English, or have an English fan-patch ?

lightbane

Arcane
I vote whatever is more fun for you! The last thing we want is you getting sick of grinding and ragequiting. Also, I don't know shit of the Phantasy Star series, but the 3rd one if I recall correctly was more like "medieval fantasy" than the sci-fi nature of 2 and 4. Why's that, where's that game in the series' timeline?

And lastly, I recall the part where I got tired of the game and quit was in a longish series of caves where the monsters were deadly and your companion got replaced by a weird guy with a mace. Is that the Tomoe place you mention?

Pliskin

Arbiter
Ummmm, what's going on here, please?

up2020.jpg

Is "birthvally" what all the kids are calling it these days, then?

(Oh, and I vote b., as I find "means I'll be swearing like a wounded pirate" oddly appealing in a woman).

Sinestris

Novice
Captain Rufus - Squall is an ARSEHOLE. I loathe his wussy little ass. (Although, Gackt dressed as Squall? Oddly alluring... *blush*) He almost put me off RPGs forever, but then Zidane came along, grabbed Garnet's butt and made the game worth playing just to see him keep dropping the ball with every eligable female who came his way.

PSII... may or may not come depending on how long it takes me to finish this and how close to November we get. (Yes, I'm one of those mad people who does the NaNoWriMo at the same time as their final exams. It's... stressful.)

ghostdog - do NOT. Under any circumstances. Play Phantasy Star III. It's fucking AWFUL. There are no words to describe how bad that damn game is. HATE. Most oldschool Phantasy Star phans I've met simply pretend it doesn't exist.

lightbane - ...I honestly have no idea which part of the game you're talking about. Actually Tonoe just shits me off because the music is FUCKING PAINFUL. As in it causes me actual, physical pain. So naturally I'm going to link to the track because if I have to suffer through it, so does everyone else.

Pliskin - They only have 10 letters for when you enter a new area. Some of the later abbreviations are mad. Hence why I'm grabbing them now, so you can see how dumb they get.

And if you like copious swearing in a woman, you and I are going to get along famously.

Elzair - Huh?

Cenobyte

Prophet
lol... Spekkio, the boy in your pic is awesome :D

Anyway, I vote for b). Sounds like more fun for us readers :cool:

spekkio

Arcane
Cenobyte said:
lol... Spekkio, the boy in your pic is awesome :D

29gdgx.jpg

The left one or the right one?

Sinestris said:
but then Zidane came along, grabbed Garnet's butt (...)

And what a butt it was! One of the finest butts in the history of videogames...

2h3vllj.jpg

And just look at those... other things...

xb9st5.jpg

2lcl3q9.jpg

But Zidane being non-bald was pretty fail. :(

Sinestris said:
Captain Rufus - Squall is an ARSEHOLE. I loathe his wussy little ass. (Although, Gackt dressed as Squall? Oddly alluring... *blush*) He almost put me off RPGs forever, but then Zidane came along, grabbed Garnet's butt and made the game worth playing just to see him keep dropping the ball with every eligable female who came his way.

PSII... may or may not come depending on how long it takes me to finish this and how close to November we get. (Yes, I'm one of those mad people who does the NaNoWriMo at the same time as their final exams. It's... stressful.)

ghostdog - do NOT. Under any circumstances. Play Phantasy Star III. It's fucking AWFUL. There are no words to describe how bad that damn game is. HATE. Most oldschool Phantasy Star phans I've met simply pretend it doesn't exist.

I replayed PS3 and Sword of Vermillion recently thanks to the PS2 Genesis collection. They are both unfairly maligned. Neither one is great, or even good, but they certainly aren't bad or terrible. PS3 just needed to have 16 more megabits to properly play itself out. You have a ton of characters, but none of them have much a personality at all, if ANY, and the story is too truncated. And this is with the game using the same environments repeatedly.

PSUniverse is still the PS low point. And its mostly for the 17-19 year old who is hitting on the main character's 12 year old sister. Otherwise it would just be in the same slightly below average category as most action RPGs.

And blah on that Gackt guy you fangirls all squee over. He looks doofy and I don't think I have heard a single song of his that is slightly even memorable.

The only good girly man musicians were Queen and David Bowie.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Was so disapointed with PSU. PSO was one of the better MMORPG games, and they fucked it in so many ways. Especially the great big extra reaming for non japanese customers, who got patches months later or not at all. In a game that had large portions of content locked away for delayed release. Fucking sega.

Funny you brought up PS3, I just started playing it a few days ago, been meaning to try it ever since I finished 4. Definitely has some annoying quirks already. Tempting me to just use a walkthrough for the whole thing at the rate it's throwing fucked up zero logic curve balls. Dungeon entrance in a spot with no visual cue. Random townspeople being switches to activate the next part of the story for no discernable reason.

For that matter, the story so far makes no fucking sense.

My fiancee gets kidnapped during our wedding, so my father the king throws my in prison for wanting to rescue her.

Inside the prison I find money and a knife. Not some labyrinth side stash thing, no, inside the cell they locked me in. I'm shortly rescued by a random person I've no apparent relation to who shouldn't even know I'm here, let alone be allowed into a prison, who has a secret route straight from it to her home.

So now I leave town to look for this chick with no idea where to go. Some guy has a boat, but won't sail without an android on board for 'good luck'. Right. Since I can see another town across a river, I assume I'll need to get on the boat. Another person has seen a strange person who isn't an android somewhere. Going there, I find that the strange person is, in fact, an android. Right. The android chick comes with me because that's what she was built for for no apparent reason.

So we get on the boat. Only the guy doesn't take us to another town, he takes us to a FUCKING ISLAND WITH ONLY A CAVE ON IT. Why I would want to go here I have no idea. So, inside the cave, I find some othher adventurer guy, who gives me a saphire for no reason at all. We don't even ask for it. Have no idea what it does. Why he has it. But he gives it to us. It might as well have been in a chest and him not existant.

So, another random townsperson tells me the saphire will let me enter the eastern cave. For no apparent reason. How he would know this I have no idea. So I go through the cave, which is all sci-fi and not really a cave at all, and end up in some place with a starving port town on a frozen lake shore. Again, no hints as to where to go, or why anything is the way it is. :x

Who the fuck wrote this shit?

Sinestris

Novice
Whee! Lots of talking! (Yes I am waiting for a new page.)

Captain Rufus - I'm still pretending PSIII never existed. WTF was with that game... (And I never said I like Gackt's music, I only said he was hot wearing Squall's jacket. Bowie will forever be the master. 'I'm Afraid Of Americans' is one of my all-time favourite songs.)

DamnedRegistrations - PSU was just... ugh. The story mode in the original offline one was... passably playable. (As in, Tylor was awesome and beating the shit out of Magashi was VERY satisfying, but it still sucked.) The online mode suffered from Japan's 'fuck you rest of the world' attitude towards games. As for Ambition of the Illuminus... FUCK NO. Just no. Just... FUCK NO GO TO HELL ALL OF YOU.

Phantasy Star Portable was okay, even if the story made less sense than usual. Vivienne was refreshingly tolerable.

Phantasy Star Zero is flawed, but it's fun as all hell. Sarisa was... meh. Kai is awesome. Ogi is awesome. And Reve is fangirl bait. (It worked, SEGA! Can I have my free time back now?) Apparently someone at SEGA remembered Phantasy Star games need to have actual characters in them, not characatures.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Phantasy Star 4 was my first console RPG, that along with Shining Force 2 sent my genesis into overdrive the long hours on weekends playing them.
Learning to combine the techs to form super techs was an adventure itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom