Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Black

Arcane
KEBABS are known for having trouble facing facts so take him for a ride.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Tell him the truth. If he gladly served under Yelena, he will help her again. If not, kill him.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
TnMdYhE.gif

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If he gladly served under Yelena, he will help her again.
Might be different Yelenas. Ours is like:
Girl+Genius.jpg
And his might have been all like:
ggmain20071015.jpg
I guess we will find out! :bounce:
KEBABS are known for having trouble facing facts so take him for a ride.
I am confused as to how to interpret this. Take him for a ride as in 'shove the truth in his face and see how he handles it', or as in 'hide the truth and use him blindly'?

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 7. A little mischief.
Ok, let's have a little fun at his expense. It's not like this can ever go wrong. :roll:
Gorky.jpg
- No need to be cautious, Yelena. Tell him you were there.
Kirienkova.jpg
- (a beat) You are right, comrade Gorky. Of course I remember you, Raul. So you’re still on the sheikh’s payroll.
7_Raul.jpg
- Yeah. This time it’s Yankee ass we come to kick. What the hell are you doing here?
Kirienkova.jpg
- We’re here to protect the Alaski... the Siberite.
Almost slipped there. Good thing we interrogated professor Stevens instead of shooting him on sight. :M
7_Raul.jpg
- Good. So where are the ones who came after me?
Kirienkova.jpg
- It is not first in first out. We arrive separated by space and time.
7_Raul.jpg
- (sarcastic) Brilliant!
Kirienkova.jpg
- It gets worse. The sheikhs are our enemy here. In fact we are about to annihilate their base and anyone fighting for them. Welcome to the past, Xavier!
7_Raul.jpg
- Yelena, I trust you as commander, you saved all our lives in Monte Negro. I will work with you. I can feed info to you from inside the base.
Kirienkova.jpg
- It could be useful. But cross me and you are a dead man. (Xavier leaves. He has "ally" attitude toward the player and shared LOS, so the player can see what he sees).
Dayumn, girl. You know how to set a man straight. :salute:
5_Gleb.jpg
- Is this a good idea, comrade commander? He may just tell the Arabians we are here and they will be ready for us.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see, comrade commissar.

Raul leaves for the base, showing us their lines of defenses along the way. One does wonder how he avoids being blown on the minefield that lies between our bases. :M
2015_10_20_211200.jpg

Back at the base, we build an armory and start working on the materialization tech now that we have an oil power plant running.
2015_10_20_211355.jpg

Soviet Materialization Prediction works differently from American Materialization Detection as you can infer from the name. The latter shows you where exactly on the map the crates arrive, and you can send a vehicle after them even if you do not know the area. The former marks an approximate location on the map before the shipment arrives, but it does not tell you an exact spot. You can send a vehicle beforehand, but you will have to do a bit of scouting if the crates do not land in plain sight. It wastes fuel and sometimes I just can't seem to find them if they land in a forest or in some such place full of obstacles. That's one area where I definitely favor the American method of doing things.

Raul has entered the enemy base. Lost of people inside - and a lot of static defense. Not that many vehicles, though.
2015_10_20_211424.jpg

By the way, see the pink circle on the minimap? That's the prediction technology in action. Looks like some shipments will fall straight inside the Arabian base. Lucky bastards!

I do a bit of a recon myself, and discover a lush forest right near the base... Uncle 'Dozer is going to have a lot of work ahead of him. Raul is doing rounds inside the base, helping me choose the most juicy targets for my sneak attack.
2015_10_20_212051.jpg

Uh, hi. Whatcha doing? You are giving away our position, bud.
2015_10_20_212108.jpg

He walks all the way through the forest, then whips out a radio...
2015_10_20_212134.jpg

7_Raul.jpg
- Kirilenkova, I found a drop box. See the big tree I stand by?
Kirienkova.jpg
- I see it.
7_Raul.jpg
- If you want to contact me then leave a message here. I will do the same.

Or you could just ask the tank driver next to you. But if you insist, we'll do it your way.
2015_10_20_212448.jpg

So, Codex. Is there anything you would like to ask of your old pal Raul?

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
I would like to see more of Raul, so stealing a vehicle might be a little risky. Better join with him on foot.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Join me here. You already lost allies, you fuck! Remember Belkov? Pepperidge farm remembers!

Nevill

Arcane
On another hand, it would be quite amusing if he succeeds. It would be the third time in this story arc when the Russians car-jacked vehicles from allies and enemies alike. We might just make it our go-to strategy! :happytrollboy:

Or we might die horribly, who knows? :M

lightbane

Arcane
Or you can always restart/reload if things go too awry and/or you wish to show off the other choices/attempt to break the game even more. :troll:

Nevill

Arcane
Or you can always restart/reload if things go too awry
I won't do that for the choices you make. That would deprive them of meaning.

I will try to reduce their negative impact as much as possible, as I did when you guys sent out Frank Forsyth on a mission without telling him to temper his urge to be fancy, but if anything happens as a direct consequence of your decisions, I'll keep it. :salute:

Edit.
1. DOO EET!
2. Don't do it.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The dice have spoken. :salute:

Mission 7. The good, the bad and the stupid.
Gorky.jpg
- Try to capture one of their vehicles and drive to our base.

The temptation is just too great. Don't worry, though, we will make his job easier by creating a distraction...

WHAT KIND OF SICK TWISTED SON OF A BITCH PUTS MINES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FOREST!?
2015_10_22_232825.jpg

We are not even supposed to be attacking from this direction! There go two thirds of my bulldozer's hull!

But at least it's working. Soldiers are running all over the place, the mechanics are starting their vehicles - the base is going into the 'ALARM! ALARM!' mode.
2015_10_22_232846.jpg

The vehicles drive off, and the soldiers head to the forest. No one is looking our way too hard...
2015_10_22_232903.jpg

Double machinegun? I am a bit disappointed. Let's just drive along the rest. Maybe we can pretend we are a part of the retaliation squad?
2015_10_22_232951.jpg

Meanwhile, in the forest, our tanks are meeting their infantry head on. It's not a pleasant encounter, either - their soldiers are elites, there is a lot of them, and my drivers are lvl5-6 at best. I have to retreat my heavy artillery, while the bulldozer makes its own path - it is damaged, and I don't want it anywhere near the enemy troops.
2015_10_22_233035.jpg

However, once we get to a clearing, things change in our favor. We can finally turn around and put the least damaged vehicle up front, not letting the enemy focus on one target. We aren't doing much damage to them... but they are not made of metal, either.
2015_10_22_233201.jpg

The 'dozer seals the deal. It is pretty effective when it can get close to the enemies. The trick is not to let your heavies shoot at them while they are rolled into the ground - splash damage from their salvos hits the 'dozer harder than a direct one does the enemy.
2015_10_22_233637.jpg

Four soldiers down! The operation is a success. Once the hostilities cease, the enemy vehicles turn back and return to base.

At this point, I decide to troll the game a little. I am supposed to gather crates and build an attack force sizeable enough to attack tha Arabs... but maybe I can do it another way? :cool:

That ridge looks awfully convenient for defense... Perhaps we could build a new base solely to take advantage of this fact?
2015_10_22_220017.jpg

The trees are a nuisance, but that's what a 'dozer is for.

With them gone, theere is just enough space to place an armory on the top. The altitude should provide us a decent extra range.
2015_10_22_220538.jpg

We send one of our tanks on a tour around the ridge, taking shots at their turrets and generally acting like a retard magnet.
2015_10_22_220802.jpg

Sure enough, the retards come in full force - right under the fire from the armory with six experienced soldiers in it.
2015_10_22_220859.jpg

The results are pretty much what you would expect. Not even their elites can handle our damage output. Our tanks make short work of the lightly armored vehicles, while our soldiers let the hell loose on their infantry.
2015_10_22_221004.jpg

That's about 10 more men down. Quite effective, considering the low resourse investment. Our vehicles need repairs, though - and we still do not have a workshop up. At this point, I am deciding to make this installation our main base - that's where most of my men are going to be, anyway.
2015_10_22_221224.jpg

And while we are at it, lets see how much the Arabs have left.
2015_10_22_221703.jpg

Here is where things can really go downhill fast. It is easy to get overconfident and forget...
2015_10_22_231858.jpg

...about that. Fuck!

Don't worry, bud, I have your back!
2015_10_22_231914.jpg

FUCK!

I guess we'll just have to get out of the vehicle to repair...
2015_10_22_231929.jpg

:rage:

Our tanks are burning, and we seem to have attracted the attention of one of their soldiers. Run away, run away!
2015_10_22_232011.jpg

Quick, 'dozer, get them!

:hmmm:
2015_10_22_232031.jpg

:rage::rage::rage:

Reloads incoming... :M
To be continued.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Again. Make a gatling tank!
You might not have noticed, but I didn't make any tanks and in fact attacked the Arabs 3 minutes into the mission - quite successfully, I might add. I also have a double gun tank, but didn't bring it along because I didn't have enough oil or drivers for it at the time. It is pretty much another of those blitzkriegs I expected the game not to be ready for... and I was right, to an extent.

Sure, I can settle down, build up and come knocking from the front door - but where is the fun in that? :M

Mission 7. Problems? :troll:
Ok, so the tanks aren't much use here. Let's get the infantry out, then!
2015_10_22_222410.jpg

Much better.

Suddenly, we are ambushed from behind. The Arabs got reinforcements! I kind of forgot that the whole point of the mission was to attract their attention back from our frontlines - it looks like we've succeeded, but not at the right moment.
2015_10_22_222501.jpg

Fall back to the armory!

It's too late, though. Raul's evil twin, Maria Bonacic (I thought Maria was a woman's name - what's up with the beard, pal?), finishes off comrade comissar, and somehow, when I am not looking, our soldiers all go down before they take as much as take 5 steps in the direction of the base. :argh:
2015_10_22_222626.jpg

I don't get it. How come we are losing so badly after such a flawless start?

Oh. That explains things.
2015_10_22_222642.jpg

We got sandwitched between two sizeable enemy forces. That's usually what you'd want to avoid in this game.

Reload.

Okay, so the new plan is to leave the soldiers in the armory, and let the tanks meet the enemy below, hoping that they can take care of themselves with a bit of fire support. Seems to be working fine for the attack on our left flank...
2015_10_22_222952.jpg

...but when the second wave arrives to assault us from the right flank, I find that the armory lacks the range to shoot that far. The soldiers have to move out and get personal.
2015_10_22_223120.jpg

Pah, it's just 5 vehicles, how hard can it be? CHAAAAARGE!
2015_10_22_223220.jpg

Pretty hard, when their drivers are all 7th to 10th level, which translates into 14 to 20 ranks of driving skill. Their weapons might be weak against tanks, but they hit the infantry hard and they seem to be shooting faster than their Russian/American counterparts.
2015_10_22_223241.jpg

RIP.

Reload.

My next attempt has my tanks standing safely on the ridge with a few extra mechanics fixing them.
2015_10_22_224452.jpg

It isn't good enough, because they focus down the drivers and force them to move away. And while they don't do much to tank armor, a constant barrage is not good for the health of a driver inside. I repel the attack, but I lose vehicle on the right (I couldn't get to it to repair it in time - they would kill the mechanic), and the driver on the left gets murdered after falling unconscious out of the tank.

Reload. :negative:

Finally, I get it right. My tanks are hiding behind the armory, and the drivers are crouching behind them. At the same time a bulldozer prevents the enemy vehicles from circling around and getting inside the base from the south.
2015_10_22_225133.jpg

The tanks don't have to face as much damage, and the mechanics are safely covered by the more bulky targets. The armory gets to bear the full fury of an elite squad of Arabian drivers - but it is designed to withstand a lot of heat.

They still manage to destroy it, but by that time their firepower is halved, and the flamethrower vehicles are disposed of, so at least my soldiers are safe.
2015_10_22_225317.jpg

And the 'dozer, unused during the vicious firefight and thus still in one piece, gets to tank the rest of the damage while my forces clean up. Whew!

Now, while the defeat is fresh in the Arabian minds and their morale is down, we sally forth towards victory!
2015_10_22_225511.jpg

Oh. Right. That. :|

We slowly and catiously crawl towards victory!

Guess we are leaving the tanks behind. There is almost no one left in the base anyway, safe for a stray mercenary. Even the turrets are unmanned - they threw everything at us in the last attack.
2015_10_22_225609.jpg

But what is this tiny dot in the bottom left corner of the minimap?
2015_10_22_225630.jpg

Yashin, Yashin... where do I know you from?

2015_06_28_184047.jpg
- Remember your codename. Immediately after you arrive, free the area for your comrades. Make contact with marshal Yashin, call sign Eagle, and await further orders.
2015_06_28_184045.jpg
- Company, forward-MARCH!
Why, it is the supreme gentleman commander of Soviet Pliocene forces! Who was supposed to arrive among the first, but actually did just now, a year and a half into the war. Might explain why the operation has been such a disastrer so far.

I like his style: travelling alone deep behind enemy lines with a bazooka over a shoulder, no fucks given. The Russian high command is both badass and classy. :cool:

Yashin.jpg
- This is Eagle. This is Eagle, calling all stations. Do you read me?
6_Sevi.jpg
- Marshal Yashin? Is that you?
Yashin.jpg
- Of course. And who the hell are you?
6_Sevi.jpg
- Vsevolod I. Gorky, comrade marshal.
Yashin.jpg
- From the 87th Guard Tank Division!? Good to have you around again, comrade Sevi. So, what's the situation?
6_Sevi.jpg
- My brother can explain better, I have not been here long.
Gorky.jpg
- Commander-in-chief is comrade general Morozov. Our main base, V. I. Lenin, is currently under Arabian attack.
Yashin.jpg
- Arabian!?
I take it back. Russian high command is clueless. We might have interesting times ahead of us. :roll:
Gorky.jpg
- Yes, comrade marshal, not everything here is as expected. Their aim is to destroy the Alaskite deposits. We are about to attack their base to ease the pressure on V. I. Lenin.
Yashin.jpg
- I see. And how are your preparations? Any problems?

Do we have any problems, Codex?
2015_10_22_225643.jpg

Strangely, fucking mines are not an option, for whatever reason. :decline:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom