Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play MS Flight Simulator 2004!

Data4

Arcane
After smoking a couple of cigarettes and taking a dump with the lavatory door open, I realized I had a conundrum. The co-pilot, crew, and all of the passengers have mysteriously disappeared. Furthermore, I've come to the startling revelation that I am a vampire that can be out in the sun.

Though I needed to head east to D.C. to figure out what was going on, I realized that the 737 I was in left me vulnerable. I needed to be able to get places fast and stealthy. So, with that in mind, I diverted south to Edwards AFB, and commandeered the one Blackbird they still kept in a back garage.

fs9-13.jpg

With no time to spare, I lit the fires and went mo'fukkin ballistic.

fs9-14.jpg

In no time, I was up to 85,000 feet, cruising along in excess of Mach 3. At this rate of speed, I'd make it to D.C. about 2 hours, so I had to get my wits about me. What was going on? Where did everyone go? I kept the radio open, tuning into every control sector I passed through, but no one would respond to my requests for contact.

fs9-15.jpg

Soon enough, D.C. was coming up fast, so I lowered my speed to subsonic levels and dropped down to 3000 feet to enter the approach pattern into Dulles International. A quick glance to my left, and I could see D.C., just barely able to make out the Capital Building and the Washington Monument, among the other many iconic structures of the city.

fs9-16.jpg

The approach and landing were uneventful. No one was there to greet me anyway. I just picked a convenient runway and brought the Blackbird down without a fuss.

fs9-17.jpg

I taxiied the aircraft over to the SUPAR SEKRET hangar on the north end of the field and entered the correct code to get in. Don't ask me how I knew it. Might have been some preternatural vampiric ESP or something.

Nevertheless, I climbed into the hidden helicopter and made an immediate departure for the White House. Like everywhere else, the place was barren, so I decided to just park Airwolf in the yard and call it a night in the Lincoln Bedroom. I'll figure out what to do tomorrow.

fs9-18.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Data4 said:
It is interesting the first few times. I should clarify that the really complex planes in the sim are addons. The ones it comes with are pretty basic. I mean, yeah, it helps to have a basic understanding of aerodynamics and all, but if you know that pulling back on the joystick makes it go up, you're golden. The 737 I used and the 747 I mention are both considered high end in that they've replicated as much as possible within the bounds of FS. You have to do everything right and in order or you're not going anywhere.
I was about to say. Half the switches in FSX don't actually work so I was wondering how you got all those switches to work in FS2004. Not that I'd have any fucking clue on how to use any of them mind you... As it is, I still have great difficulty lining any of the big jets up with a runway and landing at the right speed. I should probably learn how to use the radio at some point too.

Data4

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Data4 said:
It is interesting the first few times. I should clarify that the really complex planes in the sim are addons. The ones it comes with are pretty basic. I mean, yeah, it helps to have a basic understanding of aerodynamics and all, but if you know that pulling back on the joystick makes it go up, you're golden. The 737 I used and the 747 I mention are both considered high end in that they've replicated as much as possible within the bounds of FS. You have to do everything right and in order or you're not going anywhere.
I was about to say. Half the switches in FSX don't actually work so I was wondering how you got all those switches to work in FS2004. Not that I'd have any fucking clue on how to use any of them mind you... As it is, I still have great difficulty lining any of the big jets up with a runway and landing at the right speed. I should probably learn how to use the radio at some point too.

http://www.precisionmanuals.com

That's where the 737 and 747 I have came from. These guys started off making sim manuals that the regular joe could understand, but then turned to making complex aircraft addons. They just never changed their name. They're regarded as the best in the field at what they do.

Data4 said:
Just taking a peek out the right window for a look at the southern Puget Sound area and HOLY FUCK!! WHERE'S THE FUCKING CO-PILOT!!?! ... have I been... left behind???

fucking hilarious.

also, this screen reminded me of when i was a kid and would pretend to fly those die cast metal planes... over shag carpet, which is exactly what the ground looks like:

fs9-14.jpg

Data4

Arcane
Jerusalem. Check. I'll add it to the itenerary.

Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice... Er, White House, I woke up just before dawn and enjoyed a rather presidential breakfast of Eggo Waffles and microwave bacon strips, while thinking of what else to do. Then it hit me. The Pentagon! Surely there had to be someone left there, so without a moment to waste, I fired up Airwolf and made a bee-line.

fs9-22.jpg

All the doors were mysteriously unlocked as I made my way into the cavernous building. All of them except this large door that lead beneath the Pentagon and appeared to be some sort of secured vault. Perhaps there might be people in there seeking shelter from the... whatever the hell it was that took everyone else.

Beside the door was a keypad. I entered a random string of letters just to see what would happen, and the LCD screen blinked with "NO ONE ENTERS OR LEAVES THE VAULT". Of course! Rummaging through the nearby desk, I found a scrap of paper clearly marked "This is the vault password: UUDDLRLRBA"

I quickly entered it into the keypad, and sure enough, the large round door rolled away to reveal what looked to be a large underground hangar of sorts. There were several winged craft covered with tarps. This is interesting, I thought, as I approached one of the craft. I quickly jerked the tarp to the side and let it fall to the floor in a crumpled heap. What it revealed was like nothing I'd ever encountered before, yet it seemed strangely familiar. It was PERFECT! It looked like it'd be much faster and agile than the SR-71, and unlike the Blackbird, it appeared to be armed.

I climbed into the cockpit, strapped in, and pressed the "start" button. With a deep rumble, the engines came online and a large door overhead slid open. It was an access-way hidden by the Pentagon's courtyard. At once, I launched out of the hole and screamed to the sky like a scalded cat.

fs9-19.jpg

Something told me I needed to go to Japan. Not sure exactly what it was, but instincts kicked in. I set a course for the long way around, figuring I'd scan Europe, the Middle East, and the central part of continental Asia for life signs. The mysterious x-winged craft was blazingly fast, and I was heading east off the coast of China towards Japan about 15 minutes after launching from Washington D.C. With Mt. Fuji coming into view, I eased back to more conventional aircraft speeds as I approached Tokyo.

fs9-20.jpg

Just after crossing the summit of the mountain, an alarm went off. A sensor hit! Single life form, humanoid, in the vicinity of Tokyo International Airport. Entering the coordinates in the nav computer, I headed straight for the airport, touching down on the tarmac to the side of the main terminal.

fs9-21.jpg

In a compartment on the craft was a hand-held computer device that seemed to be able to link up with the main computer of the craft itself. Establishing a link, I took the handheld and proceeded to home in on the life sign, apparently inside the terminal building.

To be continued.

Data4

Arcane
Well, keep in mind the scale. There are over 24,000 airports, 12 major cities, reasonably accurate terrain elevation, and basically the entire planet, all modelled to look somewhat like the real thing from flight altitude. Later FSes, like the combat variety only model a specific area. FSX, the latest of the series, looks better but runs like shit on my computer.

Seboss

Liturgist
The computer that could run FSX at a decent rate does not yet exist anyway.

MisterStone

Arcane
If the WTC is gone and you can't do a 9/11, why not fly over to Mecca and do a reverse-9/11 on the Kaaba. DO IT.

Kz3r0

Arcane
MisterStone said:
If the WTC is gone and you can't do a 9/11, why not fly over to Mecca and do a reverse-9/11 on the Kaaba. DO IT.

Data4

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
MisterStone said:

THIS!

Er... I mean, Yeah, I'll do it. I don't know if Mecca is depicted in the game, but I'll check.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Is it even possible to crash? It looks like such a politically correct game that the only crash I can imagine are a sign that pops up to tell you that you bumped into something and that you need to try again.

I just orrenttayed the game, so I can check it out. I'm ready for the kickass mundane-ness of O'Hare to BWI. AWESOME!

Data4

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Is it even possible to crash? It looks like such a politically correct game that the only crash I can imagine are a sign that pops up to tell you that you bumped into something and that you need to try again.

How does it look politically correct? Because it doesn't have the WTC? That's because the game was released in late 2003, when the WTC no longer existed. Not merely "politically correct", but also factually correct. This happens with less glamorous things in the world as well. For instance, ever since the game started back in the 80's, the default startup airport was a little waterfront strip in Chicago called Meigs Field. The mayor of Chicago closed it down in 2003, which is reflected in the two versions of the game released since then. Seattle is now the default startup location.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Data4 said:
Andyman Messiah said:

How does it look politically correct? Because it doesn't have the WTC? That's because the game was released in late 2003, when the WTC no longer existed. Not merely "politically correct", but also factually correct. This happens with less glamorous things in the world as well. For instance, ever since the game started back in the 80's, the default startup airport was a little waterfront strip in Chicago called Meigs Field. The mayor of Chicago closed it down in 2003, which is reflected in the two versions of the game released since then. Seattle is now the default startup location.
By politically correct I meant that it looked like a game where you test your own will to fly around in a world that looks as empty as my soul, Data4.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wow, this thread brings back memories of playing MS Flight Simulator 5.0. The game ran extremely slow on our computer, it was almost unplayable and ran at 0.5 fps. Good times.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Screw your permission. You're not the boss of me. Here's Data4's Microsoft Wing Commander 2004 as acted out by Andyman Messiah.

(You'll all be sorry.)

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 4 - Crappy Bonus Material!

Data4, I hope you take this as the compliment it is and continue the merry adventures of the vampire pilot at the end of the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom