Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Melirinda's Icewind Dale 2 Mod!

Tigranes

Arcane
WK gets 3 Volournian Points.

Songstress is a word.

Play more!

Radisshu

Prophet
I think it's funny how she hates Torment because you're forced to play a certain character (even though that's only true on a superficial level, I mean, you can really play a bigger variety of personalities in Torment than you can in BG2 or NWN2), yet she seems to have written this mod with a certain protagonist in mind.

DiverNB

Liturgist
That writing is fucking horrible, generic drivel.

How can you stand to play it? It almost hurts to read it's so bad. I felt like I was listening to that shop keeper in FO3 banter on and on and on and on and on....

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Haha, Rohit got bored of it as soon as we did.

I see there was not much humour value in this whole thing anyway.

But it was still good to see a glimpse.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually have pictures, it's just that GTA4's taking much of my time.

I'll have an update in a couple of hours, but it won't have the long banter the first one did.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Advice: Don't post a million dialog screenshots. Instead write the stuff down like "Nord Dude: I have a snake in my pants!" "Orc Gal: Ugh, get it out, ugh bugh!"

Oh, and best of luck with this piece of shit. I couldn't handle it at all.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
Advice: Don't post a million dialog screenshots. Instead write the stuff down like "Nord Dude: I have a snake in my pants!" "Orc Gal: Ugh, get it out, ugh bugh!"

Oh, and best of luck with this piece of shit. I couldn't handle it at all.

If the man who's reviewed such shit as FF7 can't handle it, you know you're in for a ride.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's my first time playing the game, so I don't need to worry about the mod putting me off.

Anyway, update tomorrow. Promise.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
We're finally off the boat.

001ly7.jpg

We meet Reig Redwaters, and agree to get him medicine...

002xv4.jpg

and Diriel finds it ironic.

003pz6.jpg

Killing some Goblins. Combat isn't difficult for now.

004xs8.jpg

We get to a warehouse, and learn of mercenaries at the tavern. We could always use help.
005zc2.jpg

And so we agree to collect them.

006ky0.jpg

The Salty Dog. Not a very original name.

007hz9.jpg

Looks like these guys have no idea about the attack.

008xq0.jpg

Guthewulfe would rather have a drink, but agrees to help as a merchant.

009id0.jpg

010xc3.jpg

We meet Black Geoffrey, likely drunk.

011jk8.jpg

We *want* some help.

012zs1.jpg

Not very good mercenaries, it seems.

013iw5.jpg

Yet they boast about their name, anyway.

014ru7.jpg

We hear more boasting, and try to get them to come, but...

015ru9.jpg

016bq0.jpg

They're just not going to.

017rr3.jpg

At least we learn about Koluhm and Phaen.

018lw9.jpg

019hx2.jpg

Crandall...Crandall isn't very important.

020xt1.jpg

But we find a dwarf.

021mt5.jpg

We learn a little more about the attack.

022xo2.jpg

023gu5.jpg

Nikosh picks the lock, and we go inside to meet...

024rk2.jpg

Medicine guy.

025fo3.jpg

We ask for the potions, when...

026go7.jpg

Nikosh has something to say.

027sa0.jpg

We look around, and...nothing this side.

028na7.jpg

Here we are.

029ph7.jpg

And we give the potion to Reig.

030ml5.jpg

Nikosh picks the lock to the warehouse, and Brogan suffers from redundancy.

031gu8.jpg

We kill some goblins, who don't seem to have done much since we left to get the mercenaries.

032jv0.jpg

Nothing more to do here. We go outside.

033be5.jpg

Wait, Sir Nord knew something I didn't?

034ii6.jpg

Oh. Didn't notice that.

035hz2.jpg

036oj2.jpg

037ci4.jpg

All dead.
038mc9.jpg

Nothing more to do here, I'm sure. We leave and...

039yn7.jpg

Salomeya has something to say.

040dd7.jpg

Looks like it's time to go.

041gw5.jpg

042wv1.jpg

043dw9.jpg

And we finally enter Targos, with Salomeya having something to say. We enter one of the houses, and...

044ij1.jpg

Nikosh has something to say.

045gs9.jpg

We find Koluhm.

046ud0.jpg

047ye4.jpg

Before we leave, Jaemal has something to say.

049xb5.jpg

We finally get to the Weeping Widow Inn.

Sorry about the delay, and I'll work on posting less pictures on the next update.

Tigranes

Arcane
Why exactly are we LP'ing vanilla Targos now?

Well, I guess even Melirinda wouldn't have written books of dialogue for every instance.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wow, uh, I underestimated her dedication to this project. Banter accompanies every small situation, between finding a NPC and killing a few enemies. It's like getting of the boat itself was a significant turning point in the story.
-------------------------------------
I just remembered one thing:

Melirinda often said that Icewind Dale 2 was an unfairly hard game and that she had to cheat on even lower difficulties. (makes you wonder about her reasons for modding this very game)

Now, there have been some challenging pausable real-time games out there, but is Icewind Dale 2 really one of them?

I mean, the first Icewind Dale did throw some challenging bits at you occasionally. But I am not sure if the second game is supposed to be significantly harder. I mean, she says that she found the first game to be not much of a problem as compared to the second, but I think she might be misremembering them.

I think Volourn once said that ID2 is quite easy, and considered other Infinity Engine games to be much harder, so I wonder who is right about it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe the change of rules confused her? In any event I remember IWD2 to be challenging in a satisfying way, I'd say a bit more than the first but I really need to replay those games to be sure.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I found ID2 harder than the first. Many ennemies just materialize right on you. But it's still not what I'd call a difficult game.

Lurkar

Scholar
Melirinda had problems with NWN2's difficulty in both the OC and the two expansions. And yes, that's even on low difficulty.

She's just fucking horrible at everything.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Iam playing icewind dale 1 solo fighter/mage at the moment. I find it difficult, Hof enabled the option for opponents to call upon aid. So if i attack one enemy, a whole swarm comes. Annoying.

JrK

Prophet
The hard thing about IWD2 as compared to IWD1 is the simple matter of tanking. In IWD2 it's extremely hard to get a tank like character as in IWD1 and BG's simply because AC works differently. Less stuff stacks and Black Isle hasn't seen to it to include many different types of AC, nor items for it into IWD2 (the best armor is in effect a full plate +2). Thus, unless you rely heavily on dex builds with expertise or spellbuffs you will not attain a very spectacular AC. The result is receiving lots of damage all the time.

Wyrmlord said:
Wow, uh, I underestimated her dedication to this project. Banter accompanies every small situation, between finding a NPC and killing a few enemies. It's like getting of the boat itself was a significant turning point in the story.
-------------------------------------
I just remembered one thing:

Melirinda often said that Icewind Dale 2 was an unfairly hard game and that she had to cheat on even lower difficulties. (makes you wonder about her reasons for modding this very game)

Now, there have been some challenging pausable real-time games out there, but is Icewind Dale 2 really one of them?

I mean, the first Icewind Dale did throw some challenging bits at you occasionally. But I am not sure if the second game is supposed to be significantly harder. I mean, she says that she found the first game to be not much of a problem as compared to the second, but I think she might be misremembering them.

I think Volourn once said that ID2 is quite easy, and considered other Infinity Engine games to be much harder, so I wonder who is right about it.

The answer is that IWD2 has MASSIVE variation in difficulty depending on what alignment your party is. Seriously. Lategame there are some hellish encounters with casters/abilities that only really screw one alignment

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Lurkar said:
Melirinda had problems with NWN2's difficulty in both the OC and the two expansions. And yes, that's even on low difficulty.

She's just fucking horrible at everything.

That's a special level of horrible. Is she a quadruple amputee who plays games using only her mouth and forehead?

Talonfire

Scholar
You're actually playing this mod? Someone is secretly a masochist; don't say I didn't warn you.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Lesifoere said:
That's a special level of horrible. Is she a quadruple amputee who plays games using only her mouth and forehead?

She in fact plays it only using her tongue

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom