Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Magna Mundi! - Tenochtitlan Nights

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Huitzilopochtli is getting thirsty...

Anyway, if the Mexican state ever collapses, I'm gonna try and get my Sternberg on and re-establish the Aztec empire.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
asa semi veteran player I've tried the Tlaxcala and conqured aztlan by pure luck when it DOW'ed on me and I was guaranteed by the other two nations, then I've picked the colonization idea and made my way to the south to avoid boredom , met the spaniards , they offered me an alliance, after that 80% of my population died because of the pox, and after that france invaded (they don't need a treaty to annex your provinces, but you have to if you want to take them back .a bug maybe? ) .I've beaten them only because spaniards kicking their asses in the europe,and took my provinces back.

Six months later, They've got my capital and two main provinces(mexico included) with an event. I deleted the save game.
Let's see how you will fare/

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
golgepapaz said:
they don't need a treaty to annex your provinces, but you have to if you want to take them back .a bug maybe? /

I am not exactly sure how it works in MMU, but I am pretty sure that in vanilla EU3, Christians (and maybe the other main religions) automatically annex provinces that they capture from animists and new-world civs, but, as you say, the heathens have to get them back in treaties.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No, in vanilla they need a peace treaty to get the provinces. The big difference between animists/shamanists and the rest of the world is that they can be annexed no matter their total size.

Cassidy

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Furious Flaming Faggot said:
Update will come Friday. I can't update as much as I used to, but I should be able to get two updates in over the weekend, maybe three.

It's not friday anymore, the sun god demands sacrifice. :rpgcodex:

Codex_Magliabechiano_141_cropped.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-35-09-22.jpg

In the aftermath of Moctezuma's great campaign, the armies of the Sun God are swelled by hundreds of tribal recruits. The Zapotec to the south are formidable, yes, but they cannot stand before the blessings of the Gods, the numbers of the tribes, the warriors of Tenochtitlan, and the genius of the Great Leader!

eu3game2011-09-0219-35-32-74.jpg

The High Priests of Tenochtitlan urge Moctezuma to secure the Chalco tribes to the East, to strengthen his numerical advantage over the hated Zapotecs. Moctezuma views their advice with suspicion. Perhaps their divinations are simply a test of wit sent from the Gods?

eu3game2011-09-0219-35-40-36.jpg

Indeed, it would appear to be so. After consulting Quetzacotl, Moctezuma learns that the Zapotecs have struck a secret alliance with the Chalco tribes. The Chalcos are weak, they would no doubt betray their allies if their was no immediate threat to their homes. It is better to destroy your enemies one by one, so Moctezuma puts off the conquest of Chalco for now.

eu3game2011-09-0219-35-58-58.jpg

While the Great Chief waits for his manpower reserves to recover, he recruits a veteran warrior to serve as a secondary commander. A plan is hatched to encircle and destroy the Zapotec armies. This plan would require a great degree of skill and coordination, demanding a competent general. Although the Chief now enjoys numerical superiority, the Zapotecs will not give up their rough landscape easily. A single mistake could mean utter defeat, so planning and leadership are vital.

eu3game2011-09-0219-36-24-72.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-36-33-47.jpg

A few of the Aztlan tribes still resist Moctezuma, preferring their own unenlightened tribal heads. To ensure success in the inevitable Zapotec war, the Chief orders his men to crush and assimilate the troublesome tribes. The tribesmen hear of this, and immediately mobilise against the Chief.

eu3game2011-09-0219-36-43-56.jpg

The loyal tribes hold off the traitors, while Moctezuma gathers his forces and moves to crush the blasphemous imbeciles. The Gods will soon feast well.

eu3game2011-09-0219-37-17-51.jpg

Moctezuma takes his men on a circuitous route around the main enemy army, crushing the Northern tribes first. A smaller contingent, lead by Commander Tehuetstiquitzin (what?) engages the main army, tying them up for the Great Chief.

eu3game2011-09-0219-37-25-48.jpg

The rebellious Huastec tribes are broken. The captives are given to the Sun God, while the remaining free tribes are absorbed into the greater Aztlan whole.

eu3game2011-09-0219-37-44-82.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-38-03-45.jpg

The armies of Huitzilopochtli grow ever mightier. :salute:

eu3game2011-09-0219-37-48-25.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-38-07-23.jpg

Relying on the spread of fear from his brutal campaign, Moctezuma sends an envoy to the Western tribes, particularly those based in the Tarasco region. As expected, the local chieftains quickly succumb, and Tenochtitlan grows ever mightier from their tribute.

eu3game2011-09-0219-38-20-54.jpg

The peoples of Moctezuma's world all share a similar culture and faith. Despite this similarity, it will take time for the tribes to truly join Tenochtitlan as Aztlan brothers, under the great Sun God. True assimilation will require patience. In the meantime, troublemakers can be sent to the Gods.

eu3game2011-09-0219-38-47-38.jpg

Here's one of the issues with native factions. Natives don't get any cavalry (although their rebels do), which on its own is sensible. Unfortunately they suffer the same penalties for this as other countries, so as soon as their army reaches a certain size they suffer this penalty, alongside the basic military disadvantage of lacking cavalry.

eu3game2011-09-0219-39-27-90.jpg

The new territories take a toll on Moctezuma's administrative abilities. Relying almost entirely on force of arms to maintain power, continued expansion may well prove to be more than the Great Chief can manage.

eu3game2011-09-0219-40-28-35.jpg

:x

Some of the Western tribes have the gall to refuse Moctezuma his tribute. If he didn't have to manage the Zapotec campaign as well, the Chief would crush these treacherous heathens. After the Zapotecs are crushed, they will be fed to the Sun. Their bones will be ground into a fine powder and served to the Chief in a bowl of chocolatl.

eu3game2011-09-0219-40-58-34.jpg

The war begins, the tribes assemble. God and carrion bird alike anticipate a great feast.

eu3game2011-09-0219-41-04-11.jpg

A two pronged assault is launched. The main body of the Aztlan army, under Moctezuma himself, heads straight for the Zapotecs. Meanwhile, under Tehuetstiquitzin, a contingent of roughly 3000 men march on the Zapotec capital city, high in the hills.

eu3game2011-09-0219-41-34-79.jpg

The priesthood is behind the Chief. A wave of prisoners, sacrificial or otherwise, is hotly anticipated in the capital. Moctezuma marches into battle, confident that the Gods are at his back.

eu3game2011-09-0219-41-58-28.jpg

But it is not so, and the Gods punish Moctezuma for his hubris. He is beaten, and learns the lesson of humility. The Zapotecs force the Great Chief to flee back to friendly territory, but the Zapotecs follow.

eu3game2011-09-0219-42-36-55.jpg

Moctezuma is beaten back further, but the Zapotec victory is not without its cost. The Zapotecs suffer casualties even greater than the Aztlan. Not only that, but the Chief is now fighting on friendly terrain, while the Zapotecs are many miles from home. It may yet be possible to turn their triumph on its head.

eu3game2011-09-0219-43-07-95.jpg

While this is going on, Tehuetstiquitzin's contingent eliminates Zapotec reinforcements, giving his Master hope of victory. If Tehuetstiquitzin can reach Moctezuma in time, then their combined forces should prove enough to deliver a crushing blow to the Zapotecs.

eu3game2011-09-0219-43-56-07.jpg

Levying hundreds of fresh troops from Tenochtitlan, Moctezuma finds himself once again in command of numerical superiority. Having tasted defeat, Moctezuma found it to be bitter. There is no intention amongst the Chief, nor amongst his men, to repeat the Zapotec disaster. The Chief meets his enemy, whilst Tehuetstiquitzin continues to disrupt enemy reinforcements. The battle could go either way, but in the result of another disaster, Tehuetstiquitzin will be on hand to avert total catastrophe.

eu3game2011-09-0219-44-10-85.jpg

But catastrophe is evaded. Despite heavy losses, Moctezuma forces the Zapotec chief to back down. Now it is the enemy that must flee. With extra reinforcements in the form of the contingent, it would seem that the war has swung in Tenochtitlan's favour.

eu3game2011-09-0219-44-40-86.jpg

After months of hard fighting, the enemy is finally routed at Tlaxcala. All that remains is to crush pockets of resistance, and to absorb the Zapotecs into glorious Aztlan.

eu3game2011-09-0219-45-40-08.jpg

Moctezuma orders his forces to spread out across Zapotec lands, to save him the trouble of crushing each tribe one by one. Overall this should bring the war to a more timely conclusion. It might even be possible to leave only as many men as are needed, and conquer the Chalcos with the rest.

eu3game2011-09-0219-46-16-65.jpg

Seeing merit in this plan, Moctezuma gathers what men he can and marches back to Tenochtitlan. After gathering further reinforcements, the Great Chief marches on the Chalcos. After giving up his many prisoners to the Sun God, of course.

eu3game2011-09-0219-47-33-23.jpg

The Chalco tribes reluctantly retreat to their hill-forts and villages. The High-Chief musters what men he has against Moctezuma, but, despite his best efforts, he is forced to give ground.

eu3game2011-09-0219-48-04-07.jpg

Meanwhile, the Zapotec capital, the only urban settlement in the region really, is captured. Hundreds of prisoners are marched back to Tenochtitlan, and the Gods feast greedily. Blood is a small price to pay, in return for the continued renewal of the Sun.

eu3game2011-09-0219-48-14-03.jpg

Moctezuma harries the Chalcos down along the coast, whilst small detachments remain to occupy the various tribal forts and villages.

eu3game2011-09-0219-50-21-06.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-50-54-69.jpg

The Zapotec heartland falls to Aztlan. The Gods are sated with the blood of hundreds, whilst Tenochtitlan benefits from the great plunder, The Chalco lands are much more sparse, but they also yield some riches. It will not be long until both the Chalcos and the Zapotecs bow to glorious Montezuma. Then, the Maya will quake. Perhaps they too will feed great Huitzilopochtli?

eu3game2011-09-0219-51-21-41.jpg

The same drama is repeated further North. A brutal conquest, followed by mass enslavement and plunder. Just enough people are left to keep the land from becoming barren, so that Moctezuma's descendants might have an Empire to rule over.

eu3game2011-09-0219-51-28-74.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-51-34-20.jpg

The Chalcos become Aztlan. Those that resist will feed Quetzacotl, Huitzilopochtli, Huehueteot, Tlaloc and mighty Tezcatlipoca. In exchange for their blood, their lands go to Moctezuma and his successors, to rule until the end of the world, which is hardly an immediate concern. The Zapotecs are reduced to but a few scattered forts, and the Maya must already be trembling. Moctezuma's ultimate victory is almost a reality.

Many apologies Codex. Between furious homoeroticism and academic pursuits, I've found little time for beloced Codexia. I'll see about an update Sunday night/Monday morning to make up for this shamefur dispray.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Many apologies Codex. Between furious homoeroticism and academic pursuits, I've found little time for beloced Codexia. I'll see about an update Sunday night/Monday morning to make up for this shamefur dispray.

So long as the updates and blood flow with a reasonably timely manner, don't worry about setting your real life above us.

Obligatory Blood for the Sun God, etc.

Cassidy

Arcane
Excellent! With conquest of all Americas there may be a chance of victory against the foreign invaders, so that all their blood will flow for the gods.

I've been waiting a year for this LP - a few days don't matter. :love:

Esquilax

Arcane
Drakron said:
The Siege of Pokemon continues ...

Gotta sacrifice 'em all!

Fuck yes, I was anticipating this update, glad to see the mighty Faggot delivering the goods again. What are you going to do to survive the incoming Spanish smallpox rape? Conquer as much of the Americas before ITZ occurs (Cleveacoatl will be Emperor at that point) and hopefully weather the storm? What's the game plan here?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How much of Americas do you know? Because I foresee boring times before you soon...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I do need to point out that Quetzacoatl was the ONLY major Aztec god that didn't demand human sacrifice. He demanded butterflies and hummingbirds.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I do need to point out that Quetzacoatl was the ONLY major Aztec god that didn't demand human sacrifice. He demanded butterflies and hummingbirds.
'

That is why, despite Quetzacoatl being better known, I prefer Huitzilopochtli and Tezcatlipoca.

One of the themes of my Let's Plays is the complete misinterpretation of the subject country's culture and history, so I hardly intend to stop.

The gameplan is basically to acquire as much manpower and gold as possible. The arrival of the Spaniards can occur differently sometimes. If they arrive before they get their gunpowder troops, we'll stand a good fighting chance of beating them. The problem then is surviving the AIDS and then modernising and catching up to Europe.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I do need to point out that Quetzacoatl was the ONLY major Aztec god that didn't demand human sacrifice.
he does now.

Monocause

Arcane
Moar! I'm exceptionally curious about this LP as I tried playing natives, like, three times in EU3/MM and always failed miserably when Europeans showed up. My best result was playing Inca - managed to survive until mid XVII century when a large Spanish alliance decided to gangbang me leaving me with three provinces. Needless to say, I quit.

I probably made a few mistakes but am still wondering whether it is actually possible to modernise successfully without being swallowed by one of the Euro powers.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
My longest MMU game, as Brandenburg->Prussia, had the Mayans around for quite a while. Their tech was shit, something like a Muslim country in the 1500's, but they where still around. As for whether a native state can be competitive, I think this LP will answer that far better than I could. Now, does anyone know why the Nogai Tatars always seem to end up as the most ass-backward nation on the Eurasian landmass?

JagreenLern said:
My longest MMU game, as Brandenburg->Prussia, had the Mayans around for quite a while. Their tech was shit, something like a Muslim country in the 1500's, but they where still around. As for whether a native state can be competitive, I think this LP will answer that far better than I could. Now, does anyone know why the Nogai Tatars always seem to end up as the most ass-backward nation on the Eurasian landmass?

Tribalism combined with dirt poor regions I guess?
Any way speaking of tech I find the Eu 3 tech system to be quite annoying in how acquiring poor regions drags down the rest of your nation. Sure they are and should be a problem to administer properly and prone to revolts if you overextend but having something like a realistic Austrian Empire having shit for tech simply because of many eastern regions being poor.
It seem for me at least that the only time I'm able to keep up with the tech of the AI even as a rich nation like Venice -> Italy is to choose the Scientific Revolution NI, at least in MM.

And now on with the show if your so kind, moar blood please. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom