Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets Play: LANDS OF LORE

Andhaira

Arcane
The hand of fate spell is a pretty big reference in of itself.

Anyhow, this reminds me: I've heard a rumor that Dawn was supposed to be recruitable and that she STILL can be added to the party via a hex hack of the game. Is this true?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The other big Kyrandia reference, BTW, is when you click on a bush outside of Gladstone Keep. "Is that a Pseudobushia Hugiflora?"

AndhairaX: LoL went through so many versions, revisions and changes that just about everything was propably attempted before the "final" version was released. From what I know, Timothy was to play a much bigger role, and Dawn was indeed an NPC at one point...though it's possible Dawn's image was the first version of Lora. One of Scotia's end-fight forms was a "common" monster seen in an unused cavern setting. Then there are several doors near the end of the game, that cannot be opened by any means. No wallhacks seem to exist for this game either, which is a mystery in and of itself.

There are also many items listed in the Official Cluebook which do not exist in the game either. Good examples are the Zephyr Ring which either Hasted your character or doubled your mana, and some other stuff that could have been useful.

DaveO

Erudite
In regards to Puma, it has a weapon factor of 12. Bouncer has a weapon factor of 11, and adds 1 to your armor class(protection).

Cutter gets a weapon factor of 15 if used by a Thomgog. The bezel ring prevents poisoning of a character.

DraQ

Arcane
DaveO said:
In regards to Puma, it has a weapon factor of 12. Bouncer has a weapon factor of 11, and adds 1 to your armor class(protection).

Cutter gets a weapon factor of 15 if used by a Thomgog. The bezel ring prevents poisoning of a character.
Is there any guide available to what do individual items do?

DaveO

Erudite
The Clue Book has most of this information. I don't know if it's still available.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
DaveO said:
The Clue Book has most of this information. I don't know if it's still available.

eBay is your only friend.

Or I could dig up mine if you want. But I remember that the Cluebook didn't list every single ability for every single item.

DraQ

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
DaveO said:

eBay is your only friend.

Or I could dig up mine if you want. But I remember that the Cluebook didn't list every single ability for every single item.
If you could. I don't want to know everything, but having a clue regarding special abilities of items would be damn useful.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
By the time I read your post, I already had dug it up.

Odd items you may find that aren't easily identified:

Amber Ring: Quest item. Keep it when you find it, but it's useless outside of its "dungeon".
Bezel Ring: Wearer is immune to poison.
Bezel Cup: Fully heals the user. It has as many charges as it has gems left on it.
Duble Ring: Doubles health recovery rate.
Green Skull: The only thing that'll hurt the Larkhon.
Ebony Staff: Casts the Swarm spell. Has 5 charges.
Emerald Sword: A very effective weapon against etheral creatures. There are two of these in the game, make sure you find both of them. You'll need them.
Gauntlets of Force: Quest item. Besides acting as a key, it also allows you to cast the 1st level of the Hand of Fate spell, which pushes enemies back 1 square. This ability is actually quite useful in the "dungeon" where you find this item.

Some weapons and their special abilities you should know about:

Arbalest Eternity - Highest damage rate of any ranged weapon
Arbalest Equalizer - Always misses
Great Maul Thunder - 25% to call thunder (screen will shake) and inflict triple damage.
Long Sword Entropy - Chance to hit the wielder with every 7th blow
Death Stick - 5% chance to inflict triple damage
Axe "Dominance" - 5% chance to kill opponent outright.
Rapier "Coup de Grace" - Instantly kills enemies with less than 25% health.
Westwood stick - 25% to instantly kill opponent, One use only.

If armour has any special ability in LoL, the Cluebook doesn't mention it. Stealth, for example, doesn't seem to play a factor.

The cluebook also mentions Kieran's special ability - he strikes faster than anyone else.

For the heck of it, some items that are mentioned which aren't in the game:

Cloud Ring: Reduces damage from Fire attacks.
Talba Ring: Increases Mana recovery rate.
Zephyr Ring: Wearer strikes faster in combat.

DraQ

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
By the time I read your post, I already had dug it up.

Odd items you may find that aren't easily identified:

Amber Ring: Quest item. Keep it when you find it, but it's useless outside of its "dungeon".
Bezel Ring: Wearer is immune to poison.
Bezel Cup: Fully heals the user. It has as many charges as it has gems left on it.
Duble Ring: Doubles health recovery rate.
Green Skull: The only thing that'll hurt the Larkhon.
Ebony Staff: Casts the Swarm spell. Has 5 charges.
Emerald Sword: A very effective weapon against etheral creatures. There are two of these in the game, make sure you find both of them. You'll need them.
Gauntlets of Force: Quest item. Besides acting as a key, it also allows you to cast the 1st level of the Hand of Fate spell, which pushes enemies back 1 square. This ability is actually quite useful in the "dungeon" where you find this item.

Some weapons and their special abilities you should know about:

Arbalest Eternity - Highest damage rate of any ranged weapon
Arbalest Equalizer - Always misses
Great Maul Thunder - 25% to call thunder (screen will shake) and inflict triple damage.
Long Sword Entropy - Chance to hit the wielder with every 7th blow
Death Stick - 5% chance to inflict triple damage
Axe "Dominance" - 5% chance to kill opponent outright.
Rapier "Coup de Grace" - Instantly kills enemies with less than 25% health.
Westwood stick - 25% to instantly kill opponent, One use only.

If armour has any special ability in LoL, the Cluebook doesn't mention it. Stealth, for example, doesn't seem to play a factor.

The cluebook also mentions Kieran's special ability - he strikes faster than anyone else.

For the heck of it, some items that are mentioned which aren't in the game:

Cloud Ring: Reduces damage from Fire attacks.
Talba Ring: Increases Mana recovery rate.
Zephyr Ring: Wearer strikes faster in combat.

Thanks, any info regarding the rest of the named and ranged weapons?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Most of the other special attributes of weapons can be learned by simply equipping them. 2 ranged weapons are special, the Crossbow Valkyrie fires a flaming bolt, while the Gemini Bow shoots two arrows, though it's a weak bow. About 4 weapons or so work better when Baccata wields them, and a handful of weapons offer some protection (the dagger Riposte adds a whopping 25 to Protection, but it's one of the worst combat weapons in the game).

The top 5 weapons based on damage rating are Arbalest Eternity (ranged), The Death's Hand Halberd, Great Maul Armageddon, Great Sword Justice and the Great Maul Thunder, but when it comes to outright damage potential the Thunder Maul wins hands down.

You'll want to keep an axe called "Master", as it adds 1 level to your Rogue skill. Don't confuse it with the axe "Meister", though, as that one deducts 1 level of your Rogue skill.

Horseshoes are pointless, best used as weights on pressure plates when needed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm not certain, but I think the Floppy version had a bug that made the Valkyrie Crossbow much more powerful than it was supposed to be, which led to many players I know sticking with it right through to the endgame. It even reappears in LoL2, along with a more powerful version of it, the triple-firing Noble Crossbow Valkyrie.

Andhaira

Arcane
What does the axe (I forget its name) that you get off the boss orc in Rolands Estate do? It had mediocre stats but its named so I thought it might have some special ability.

DaveO

Erudite
If you're referring to the Dominance Axe, it has a 5% chance to kill an opponent. The weapons Entropy and Plague should be avoided.

P.S. - The Larkhon can be defeated with ranged weapons, but your better option is the Green Skull.

DraQ

Arcane
I restarted from mines, because ghosts in the White Tower were fucking rape (not that strong or durable, but there were fucking legions of them coming out of walls and beating me with magical snakes again and again - infinite ghosts VS finite health and mana: which is better and why?), now when Vaelan Cube duped on me (tried to use it when equipped) it's their turn to feel Kieran's (presumably) barbed dick up their ethereal asses. :twisted:
I have a question though, there is a corridor with four 'hidden' buttons along the wall on level 2. What do they do and in what combination?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
DraQ: You are using the Emerald swords against the ghosts and wraiths, right?

The cluebook...actually doesn't say anything about those switches. Or anything about half of level 2, for that matter. Other sources I have of LoL lore don't mention them either. But I do know is that you'll be passing them from the west once you've killed the Minotaur. The only way to reach the Minotaur is to fall down the right pit on Level 3. Killing the Minotaur gets you the Great Maul "Thunder".

Since nobody mentions these switches, I'm guessing they don't do anything. There are several doors and chests later on that you either can't open or can't reach, so it's par for the course. The game really gets that "rushed out the door" vibe about it once you reach the city of Yvel.

DraQ

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
DraQ: You are using the Emerald swords against the ghosts and wraiths, right?
Right. If only there were three or four of them.

I was even making significant progress, mapping a fair bit of lvl 3, hacking through ghosts, retreating to rest on lvl 2, rinsing, repeating.
Until undead fuckers passwalled into a chokepoint en-masse.
Then more came out of the walls and clobbered the party.
I raged.
I died.
I :rage: -ed.
I reloaded save from before the mines.
I duped the cube and now use it's offspring to weigh down pressure plates.

Satori said:
DraQ said:
because ghosts in the White Tower were fucking rape
THE HORROR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic6oj9wa ... 3&index=57
Precisely.

Subjecting them to cube-spam was an orgasmic experience.

DraQ

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
Satori said:

What an idiot. You do not rest on the third level of the tower. Ever. It's better to run back down to L2 and rest there.
Actually, I was quite impressed that he managed to get some rest there.

Sadly, running back requires the 4-5 squares deep ethereal army to not block your escape route for lulz, when you only have health & mana for 2-3 minor battles max.

L3 without the cube was Arnika road all over again, except with infinite wallhacking Rynjin empaths riding greater bonewalkers, that shoot cliffracers coated with adamantium slimes at you each time they swing.

MULTIHAUNTED TOWER HITTING BACCATA AND PAULSON OH GOD ITS HELL

:mhd: :rage:

DaveO

Erudite
My brother stopped at the White Tower a long time ago. It's quite tedious to deal with the ghosts, and you're just asking to get hit by serpent spamming.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Almost everybody I know stopped playing at the top level of the White Tower. It's stupidly hard for no real reason. The game becomes easier afterwards. Even with Vaelan's Cube it's a hard trek.

BTW, Arnika Road is one of the reason why I don't feel like playing Wizardry 8. I enjoy a challenge, but pointless repetetive challenges only piss me off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom