Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers!

Schattenjäger

Scholar
50f662bd4da0ee942b65_4.jpg

Okay, so welcome to this humble LP of the greatest adventure game EVAR!

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_5.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_6.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_7.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_8.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_9.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_10.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_11.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_12.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_14.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_15.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_16.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_17.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_18.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_19.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_20.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_21.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_22.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_23.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_24.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_25.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_26.jpg

:eerie:

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_27.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_1.jpg

Let me introduce you to our hero, monsieur Gabriel Knight. Like most of us, he's a smug bum that doesn't contribute to society in any way. Contrary to our local forumites, though, the man drowns in pussy everyday.

Things you need to know about Gabriel Knight:

- He is a bum with a hick accent
- Does not and never worked in his life
- Never went to college
- Parents died in a car crash when he was a child
- Was raised by his grandmother
- Spent all his inheritance to open St. George's rare books, which is a business failure.
- Is a failed crime novelist.
- Chases pussy up and down, night and day, every day(it's the only thing he is good at, apparently).
- Has frequent nightmares of a nigress turning into a cheetah.
- Is extremely vulnerable to black women(as we will find out later, the men of his family have a weakness for the nigress. It's like their kryptonite. - 10 resistance to niggers.)

Lately, Gabriel has decided to write a novel about the voodoo murders that have been terrifying N'oleans. He's having a creative block, though, and his nightmares have been getting worse. The man is stressed out.

And so our story begins with our hero waking up from his last nigress nightmare and being greeted scornfully by his radical feminist nipponic secretary Grace Nakimura, who secretly resents the lack of sex between them:

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_28.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_3.jpg
It lives, I see. Do you want to speak with "Lolita"?
(Signals negatively)
I'm sorry, but Gabriel is a lout... I mean, he's out

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_29.jpg

Good morning. The phone's been ringing off the hook all morning. Let me know when you want your messages.
Uh
Gee, you're lively. Did you have another nightmare last night?
Sort of.
I told you, it's that Voodo book you're researching. That stuff can seriously screw up your karma.
I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead.
(sigh) So don't sleep. It's your body. Anyway, your hand-held tape recorder came today.
Really? Great!
(hands the tape recorder) I can't wait to see what human rights you violate with this one.
I can't wait to violate them. For example, if you would just let me... :smug:
And I located some local voodoo references for you... Dixieland Drug Store and the historical museum of voodoo. Both are right here in the French Quarter.
How would I ever manage without you?
You? Give me a break. The devil himself wouldn't change you.
Well... if the devil had great legs, perhaps... like yours.:smug:
And a riveting personality, I'm sure. If you need any more research done, just ask. It's not as though we are swamped with customers.

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_30.jpg

And so we are free to explore the bookshop. First off, we pick up the tweezers on the table.

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_31.jpg

Good. You are beggining to look scruffy.

Then we take the magnifying lenses and read today's newspaper, which has some news on the voodoo murders Gabriel is investigating.

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_32.jpg

The police says the general public of new orleans is in no danger, as all of the victims were members of the underworld. The police also claims that the "voodoo" part of the murders is just a scene, a scare tactic and a distraction from the real motive behind the murders.

Humpf. Right.

Gabriel also reads his horoscope. He's an Aquarius.

:fag:

The horoscope warns Gabriel of dangerous storms ahead, and suggests caution. Gabriel takes a look at the cash register...

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_33.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_34.jpg

And finds a gift certificate for St. George's rare books.

Looking around a bit more, we find out that the sinister painting with the skull and the snake was painted by Gabriel's father, who was quite the grimdark fellow. We also find a poetry book written by Gabriel's grandfather(a kraut), which reads:

"Drei Drachen,
Drei Drachen kriegen in meinen Schlaf
Die Seele wollen sie lebendig zum Frass
Feurigen Atems, gespaltener Zumge"

Maybe the local krauts can translate it for us?

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_35.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_36.jpg

Just trying to refresh my memory :smug:

Now we head to the back of the shop, to gabriel's room.

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_37.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_38.jpg

Here we find out that Gabriel lives in this mess, and that he keeps a very large stock of shiny bids so that he can see a lot of titties at Mardi Gras. Gabriel picks up some hair gel and a flashlight. Because you know, this is an adventure game. Everything you can pick eventually has its use.

Ok, so Gabriel heads back into the front of the shop so he can talk to Grace.

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_39.jpg

This game has a lot of conversation. A lot of the game points are achieved by questioning people throughly, and a big part of the fun of the game is finding out all the information about the rich and well developed game story. I would go crazy writing everything down, so I will just escribe the main points. Also, all those who have not played this game must play it IMMEDIATELY. It is awesome.

Anyway, talking to Grace we find out that she is a college girl taking a break from her studies in New Orleans, and if that's not obvious enough, that she has a crush on Gabriel. We also find out that Gabriel rarely pays her salary. Grace lays down the messages left for Gabe:

- Dana called
- Susie will press sexual harassment charges.
- Your friend Mosely(a detective investigating the voodoo crimes) left some stuff for you at the precinct.
- Granny called, she wants Gabriel to visit and go through his father's stuff.
- A man called Wolfgang called from Germany and asked to speak with Gabriel urgently (Seltsam, nicht wahr?)

Call Germany? No way! if it's really important he will call me back.

So gabriel picks up his black leather coat and rides his Harley through the streets of New Orleans.

:extreme:

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_40.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_41.jpg

50f662bd4da0ee942b65_42.jpg

In the next update:

Gabriel visits his granny!
Gabriel manages to get into the crime scene of the latest voodoo murder!
Gabriel has a shocking encounter with am attractive nigress and falls in love!

Stay tuned!

Black Cat

Magister
Do i win any thingie for knowing your nickname and Gabriel's family are related?

Other than that do continue. Very cool supernatural mystery game, and well researched too. The only bad thingie is that Gabriel's one hundred percent moron and jerk.

Schattenjäger said:
Also, all those who have not played this game must play it IMMEDIATELY. It is awesome.

Okay. Not that hard to convince me, it look interesting and is apparently chock full of background goodness.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
Black Cat said:
The only bad thingie is that Gabriel's one hundred percent moron and jerk.

Yup, Probably no game protagonist has ever been so much of a jack-off as Gabriel Knight. The game is so awesome though, that eventually you get to sympathize with him. Plus, he does changes a bit once he finds out about his family's history. Still an asshole, but no longer a worthless bum.

Okay. Not that hard to convince me, it look interesting and is apparently chock full of background goodness.

Oh yes. You won't regret it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I love this game. One of my favorites.

Black Cat said:
The only bad thingie is that Gabriel's one hundred percent moron and jerk.
But that's why deep inside you're all mew mew for him :smug:

Nothing wrong with a jerk protagonist, if he's well written. And he's mostly a jerk to Grace, which is obviously a plot device.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Schattenjäger said:
:?
Gabriel Knight certainly was a very enjoyable adventure game, but I would never call it the greatest ever.

Erebus

Arcane
From what I've seen, the two sequels are unfortunately ugly as fuck.

Turok

Erudite
I get this game with my first multimedia kit (sound blaster) was just awesome have this game on CD.

This game is too cool, actually is one of the best games i have ever play.

Nice to have something to read on the codex.

Turok

Erudite
Chef_Hathaway said:
Did you all know his voice actor (Knight's) was fucking Tim Curry? That's awesome.

Yes and thats funny, since i play the game, if i saw Tin Curry on a movie i remember about Grabriel kight

Annonchinil

Scholar
I am an rather bad at adventure games, how does this compare to Sam & Max: Season 1 and Emerald City Confidential in difficulty?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Annonchinil said:
I am an rather bad at adventure games, how does this compare to Sam & Max: Season 1 and Emerald City Confidential in difficulty?

Many of the most irritating and obscure "puzzles" (metagaming knowledge) of the history of gaming - only surpassed in irritation in my experience by murders in space that is designed to be played many times. At least there are no dead ends, so Sierra was learning.

Play Dune 1 if it's more your level. It's also nice.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
First of all, keep the general discussion bullshit out of the playground.

Second, this is one of the best adventure games ever (like pretty much everything Sierra is) so I hope you'll do a really good job with it.

edit for lulz
Chef_Hathaway said:
Did you all know his voice actor (Knight's) was fucking Tim Curry? That's awesome.
Curry was fucking Gabe's voice actor? Wow.

Speaking of difficulty, it has some fairly irritating sequences where (as in most Sierra adventures) Gabriel can die. As the first such occasion comes about halfway into the storyline, chances are you'll lose a large chunk of progress. Plus, you'd mostl probably need to go through each of the situations many times, because the solutions are often (next to) impossible to deduce from in-game knowledge (just like SCO said). Save often, don't hesitate to look up solutions rather then opting for trial-and-error and dying thirty times in the process, and you should be OK.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
DriacKin said:
Schattenjäger said:
:?
Gabriel Knight certainly was a very enjoyable adventure game, but I would never call it the greatest ever.

It was to me! But you are free to name your favorite one, freedom of speech and all that.

It has some fairly irritating sequences where (as in most Sierra adventures) Gabriel can die

Spoiler: Most of these dangerous situations involve evil voodoo niggers and their devious schemes.

Double spoiler: Shirtless muscular niggers with eagles tattooed on their backs are specially dangerous.

Triple spoiler: This LP will have a lot of HERP DERP HURR DURR NIGGURZ LOL. I'm trying to cater to my audience.

Yup. And Mosely was voiced by Mark Hammil. I think Malia had a well known voice actress too. Regardless, the actress that played her has the sexiest voice I've ever heard.

Update coming tomorrow. Or maybe wednesday.

lightbane

Arcane
"Drei Drachen,
Drei Drachen kriegen in meinen Schlaf
Die Seele wollen sie lebendig zum Frass
Feurigen Atems, gespaltener Zumge"

Lore: Three kites. Three kites creep into my sleep, the soul woll' n it to ate alive. Fiery breath, split tongue they enjoy each meal.

Continue the lp, the game is fun...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Schattenjäger said:

Yup.
Do you know I'm fucking a voice actor too?

And Mosely was voiced by Mark Hammil. I think Malia had a well known voice actress too. Regardless, the actress that played her has the sexiest voice I've ever heard.
That would be Leilani Jones, Voodoo Lady from Monkey Island 3 and 4.

Mattresses

Scholar
I'd like to see this LP encompass the entire trilogy, eventually, I've heard GK2 is pretty fucking good, but the lack of curry has thus far prevented me from playing it. GK3 has plenty of curry but is a hideously irredeemable piece of shit, the apex of illogical adventure game puzzle design.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not only does Tim Curry voice Gabriel. His friend Mosely is voiced by Mark Hamill, and Grace is voiced by Leah Remini.
Finally, Michael Dorn makes an appearance at the museum.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Mattresses

"GK3 has plenty of curry but is a hideously irredeemable piece of shit, the apex of illogical adventure game puzzle design."

In Gabriel Knight 3 there were many good ones among those to be found on Grace's scenes, but yes, Gabriel did have some really awful ones, with the, like, entire cat moustache's puzzle line being the most prominent example.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
Both GK2 e GK3 are awesome games. They just didn't keep up with the high standards of the first one, and even though part 3 had the most ambitious plot, it managed to be the least awesome of the 3. I might do an LP of GK2 after this one, but not part 3. I replayed it not long ago and I'm not in the mood to do it again.

And hey, most puzzles in GK3 were pretty logical. The only truly horrible one was the cat mustache thing. There was also this part where you had to lure Mosely out of his apartment by placing a candy in the hotel hallway(quite stupid). Other than that, either my memory is weak or the puzzles were quite decent.

I actually have not played any other sierra adventure game. Did I miss much?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Schattenjäger said:
Both GK2 e GK3 are awesome games. They just didn't keep up with the high standards of the first one, and even though part 3 had the most ambitious plot, it managed to be the least awesome of the 3. I might do an LP of GK2 after this one, but not part 3. I replayed it not long ago and I'm not in the mood to do it again.

And hey, most puzzles in GK3 were pretty logical. The only truly horrible one was the cat mustache thing. There was also this part where you had to lure Mosely out of his apartment by placing a candy in the hotel hallway(quite stupid). Other than that, either my memory is weak or the puzzles were quite decent.

I actually have not played any other sierra adventure game. Did I miss much?
If you haven't played the Quest for Glory games, you really should. Space Quest and Police Quest are also cool. Feel free to ignore the King's Quest games though, and don't even think about playing the Phantasmagorias.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'd say quest for glory and Police quest basically. SQ never managed to hold my attention and yeah, KQ isn't anything super either.

GK3 does indeed have some stupid puzzles and certain questionable situations (Like Mosely appearing for no valid reason in the story) But it also has some great puzzles and a very good story with --as usual-- a huge load of historical research from Jane Jensen. And let me add that the story was more original than Dan Brown's Davinci crap.

So yeah, you must go for the whole trilogy. But let's see a goddamn update first.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
[...] and don't even think about playing the Phantasmagorias.

The Phantasmagoria games can be enjoyable in a very campy, so-bad-it's-good sort of way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom