Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's Play Final Fantasy VII!

1eyedking

Erudite
OK. Since this game sucks an enormous amount of dwarf cock in every imaginable way, I'll forgo the playthrough in sake of my sanity.

I'm trying to finish it as fast as I can so that I can begin ranting about how mediocre it is ASAP. Expect a full-blown review that if copy-pasted into any FF7 fanboy forum will deliver limit-breaking amounts of butthurt.

Stay tuned.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
1eyedking said:
OK. Since this game sucks an enormous amount of dwarf cock in every imaginable way, I'll forgo the playthrough in sake of my sanity.

I'm trying to finish it as fast as I can so that I can begin ranting about how mediocre it is ASAP. Expect a full-blown review that if copy-pasted into any FF7 fanboy forum will deliver limit-breaking amounts of butthurt.

Stay tuned.

FAGGOT NIGGERCUNT

Lemunde

Scholar
Jasede said:
1eyedking said:

Stay tuned.

FAGGOT NIGGERCUNT

Wow. There is so much wrong with those two(three?) words being together I don't know where to begin. I'll chalk it up to being facetious.

A user named cat

Shame you didn't like it, to each their own though. All the negatives concerning the game have been pointed out/posted/argued years ago so there's nothing new you could add. Plus, most cRPG players are just not going to dig FF or any jRGPs like it. People (like me and few others here) who enjoy both worlds of the RPG market are definitely in the minority, especially at this site.

But since you have ePSXe, you could try going another route. There's a variety of different RPGs you could do a "Let's play" of. Maybe Vagrant Story, Persona 2, Vandal Hearts, Valkyrie Profile or something that isn't like most PSX RPGs. You might enjoy one of those while doing the thread and they're easy to get a hold of.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
1eyedking:

Sorry, I lied, I don't have the time to take over this FFVII LP thread. I'm too busy working on my own game. :|

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's always about what games you've played when you were younger. I loved cRPG's from Fallout and BG in the PC and loved jRPGs from Chrono Trigger and Earthbound in snes. It's a shame to let this thread as it is, someone pick this up !

Aegeri

Novice
ghostdog said:
It's always about what games you've played when you were younger

I went the other way actually, well not very much to be honest. I prefer Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Arcanum and the like, but I've got to the point as I've got older where I like a wide range of jRPGs as well. The game that got me into jRPGs was Tales of Symphonia, which had a story that really appealed to me for no apparent reason and I liked the gameplay mechanics (even being real time!). So I started playing some more, like Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest and started to really get into the genre.

If I can get this emulator you mentioned in the OP working, I would be masochistic enough to play through this game again for the benefit and lulz of all here. I didn't like it back in the day, I wonder if my more mellow disposition to the game would improve my view of it.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Aegeri said:
If I can get this emulator you mentioned in the OP working, I would be masochistic enough to play through this game again for the benefit and lulz of all here. I didn't like it back in the day, I wonder if my more mellow disposition to the game would improve my view of it.

You could just use pSXemu, needs no configuration. Doesn't look as good as a properly configed ePSXe, though.

Keldorn

Scholar
All JRPGs which feature disproportionately big-headed characters with the cutesy-wutesy faces, gigantic colorful eyes, rigidly scripted dialogue and the stupidly disconnected/seperate combat screen (with the ACKSHUN muzak) are the WORST AND STUPIDEST GAMES ON THE PLANET !!! AND THEY ARE ***NOT*** RPGS !

If you like them, then you are childish and feminine.

WalterKinde

Scholar
The more recent generations at some time had a console gaming system or friends who had one (not talking about 360 and above but more PS2 and below) so that means at some point they were exposed to one of Square Enix's RPGs or any number of JRPG whether they enjoyed them will be up to them but its out there.
Personally i enjoyed Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy IX etc were they the end all and be all of RPGs?
Absolutely not, they were all linear games (to be sure chrono trigger had alternative endings) your C&C didn't really mean much, the world and NPCs remained static until you completed a specific quest or gained an item example nobody would complete repairing a bridge etc that led to the south until a quest was done.
But they were all we had, all we knew, now we know better (hopefully) but that doesn't mean you couldn't have enjoyed them no crime in that.
Of course i hate the mini games in rpgs esp the ones that force you to take part in them as part of a quest line etc. Hated Arcomage in M&M, Pazak in KOTOR, and all the rest in the console rpgs from square, the defend the tower one in FF7 was interesting in that it was more a mini RTS game than one of those stupid card games that would follow in later FF games or that lame blitz ball of FF X.

afewhours

Scholar
WalterKinde said:
Phantasy Star, Shining Force,

God, I loved Phantasy Star II and Shining Force I. I've always been a bit surprised by the SF avatars on this site - what gives? 'tis not very Codexy is it? Not that I'm complaining or anything...

Murk

Arcane
I always thought the japs did a great job with turn based tactical rpgs, SF being a great example of an awesome game early on.

I'd say Tactics Ogre was probably the paragon in that field of the 16-bit systems though.

afewhours

Scholar
Heh. For me, Shining Force was all about the charm, rather than the gameplay. I loved I, but II was a major disappointment for me. What I played of III was absolutely terrific - the first scenario tells a cracking yarn of political wrangling and warfare - much better than the usual JRPG emo-malarky. Speaking of Jap SRPGs, have you played Disgaea at all? I've got Disgaea 2 for the PS2, but I haven't really touched it because... well, no real reason. I've just been doing other things.

Murk

Arcane
Nay, I stopped buying consoles after PS1 (I wasn't able to get enough clients at night to keep up both of my habits). A friend of mine, who has roughly similar tastes to my own in games, was however versed in Disgaea and said it sucked.

I personally, if in possession of a ps2, would have bought both games regardless - it couldn't possibly be worse than Kartia or Vanguard Bandits.

Incidentally - if you havn't played Der Langrisser for the SNES, I do reccomend you try that out. It has a storyline and dialog quality rating of "getting hit in the face with a shovel after having used it to shovel shit" but the actual game play is major win.

It's squad based - i.e, each unit actually represents 10 soldiers or a commander/ubermenschen character, so it's more "war" than ti is 5 ninjas casting summoning spells.

afewhours

Scholar
Mikayel said:
Incidentally - if you havn't played Der Langrisser for the SNES, I do reccomend you try that out. It has a storyline and dialog quality rating of "getting hit in the face with a shovel after having used it to shovel shit" but the actual game play is major win.

Der Langrisser, eh? I'll keep an eye out for that. The name rings a bell - I remember a steampunk-stylee game being developed for the Saturn with that name... maybe a follow up? I don't know.

Murk

Arcane
ERrr I never played the Saturn but this would be a precurser?

It was the sequel to Hikari Warsong on the Genesis. The sequel was on SNES and was like, infinitely better - but never released in English. However, a great patch for it WAS released. Eventually the game was made into an english port on Genesis again, called Langrisser 2 --- which sucked ass.

The game is standard pro-caucasoid fantasy in search of magic swords to fight off the evil empire.

Except you can join the evil empire and it turns out they're nto so evil. But you CAN join the ACTUAL evil guys. Or just go total solo like I did and take on the world with 2 monsters, your best friend, and some random dude and his sister who rides an undead dinasaur.

Fun stuff!

I have the rom translated if you'd like it, by all means - send me a message and I can arrange such a transfer.

1eyedking

Erudite
FF7 sucks way too much cock for me to continue a Let's Play thread.

The constant mini-games, scripted sequences, emo/angsty characters, repetitive and boring (and RTwP) combat, and cliche story really drag the game down. About the latter, I've read some forums stating how intricate and complex it actually is, but all I'm getting treated right now are tons of I'll-explain-laters which create a false sense of urgency and suspense. Also, the puzzles featured in the game are either moronic or lacking any verisimilitude whatsoever ("Oh look! A puzzle taken straight out of a lackluster IQ test without any real connection to the game's world! This game challenges my intelligence! It's the best game ever and those who don't say so aren't as smart as me!").

Even the music is starting to become annoying, particularly when you're trying to listen to a tune and all of a sudden invisible enemies thrust you into a battle you can only escape by holding L+R for one minute.

This game is seriously below-average and filled with tedious mechanics. I'm flabbergasted (take that, Keldorn) people have found it to be enjoyable.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Play the game without audio :D
Honestly i was able to make it to the gold saucer and thats where i stopped.
Like i said the mini games not to mention the flashbacks.
But the limit breaks and summon monsters were cool and chocobo racing was ok the first 3 times to win that pass or whatever it was to get back into the gold saucer.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
After two updates you're giving up? Come on, you pansy, don't leave us hanging! Please continue this thread! You haven't even touched on the intriguing mindfuck of Cloud / Pointy! Once you have, then you can definitely retire in peace and without anyone bitching about it. :)

bubbleswithfinalfantasy7.jpg

PS. You should have picked Gothic 2.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You shouldn't ignore Keldron , he might hold his breath and turn blue...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom