Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Fallout Tactics (Completed & Repaired)

spekkio

Arcane
lightbane said:
I would recommend you to change the charisma to 8 so you can get Divine Favor, a must-have.
Divine Favor is BSB IMO.

marooned said:
15z1h8l.jpg
Sup, Chefe?

root said:
Will you be using any mods/patches and apart from the FT?
I don't think so... Do I need anything?

Anyway: Bruder Neinmaske

jgigqc.jpg

As you can see it's modified Stitch. I brought him back to Lv. 1 too.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
1. Name: Wolf
2. Age: 25
3. Sex: Female
4. Portrait:
34dq4ag.jpg

5. SPECIAL Stats.

ST 7
PE 8
EN 7
CH 3
IN 7
AG 8
LK 8

6. Traits: Gifted, Jinxed

7. (Preferred) Perks: Toughness, More Criticals

8. Tagged Skills: Small Guns, Science, Pilot

9. Skill Useful from team's POV: Pilot

10. Preferred Weapons: Assault Rifles, SMGs

Am I doing it right?

spekkio

Arcane
root said:
This game has gamebreaking bugs aplenty.

Well, I've finished this game twice and didn't encounter any...

Hopefully after all this file-editing game will crash for good at some moment. :lol:

Anyway: Sister Charlotte

2eo9xcj.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Divine favor is awesome, +1 to your best characteristic and you receive perks a bit faster (instead of every 3 levels, it's every 2), but it's your choice.

spekkio

Arcane
lightbane said:
Divine favor is awesome, +1 to your best characteristic and you receive perks a bit faster (instead of every 3 levels, it's every 2), but it's your choice.
It requires CH 8 (when CH is a dump stat), is Lv.14 Perk (received late in the game), gives you + 1 to ONE Stat :roll: and allows to pick up perks after every 2 levels (there are ~ 12 useful perks in the game). So: not that great.

Orgasm said:
spekkio said:
Well, I've finished this game twice
:shock:
:oops:

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
Whenever I played this game, I always set CHA to 6 to get the leader perk. Everyone around you suddenly gets +1 AGI? Sweet.

At first I always got rid of Stitch ASAP, but then I realised how broken he could get. With his INT he had tons of skill points, which meant his doctor and first aid skills would get maxxed pretty quick. Give him the stat! perk and I'd prectically never have to use stimpacks on anyone. Sometimes I then maxxed out his gambling skill and any NPC who liked gambling would find their inventories empty pretty quick.

Yea his Perception stat sucked, but build up his Small Guns skill and just let him use shotguns and he could still contribute in a fight, tho I think he's meant more as a skill monkey than a gun bunny, and you got 5 other teamates to take care of the killing.

laclongquan

Arcane
With his good Doc and Nurse skills, he will get his own XP everytime he did his things. So he will advance faster than normal grunts. Doc and Nurse is the alternative to diplomacy quests, I suppose.

As to your main character, high CHA and Brownnoser is the way to go if you want access to more and higher level recruits. Trust me on this and my own recruits FAQ.

Gambling is a no no as you can get some recruits with high skill.

Thief is yes maybe if you want to steal on mission, in the maps that you cant return afterward. Other than that, there's one chick with very good Steal in the roster.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
One stealing strategy I used was get the first guy to have stealing tagged, build it up, then go wandering around the map looking for merchant encounters. He's then sneak around stealing everything he could (lots of save/reload being used).

I'd then have a team equipped with high-end guns like fn/fal assault rifles, and others before they'd start showing up in the campaign. Many missions were rendered quite easy as a result. Of course all the searching and stealing takes quite a bit of time so not something that should be done on a first time playthrough.

Cassidy

Arcane
I remember not getting any special encounters before pumping one of the characters outdoorsman. Also the excess of random combat encounters in some areas of the map induced me to switch to real-time during travels.

Yeesh

Magister
There was a terrible, terrible burst (or auto?) fire bug in this game when I played it. I believe I was at the final official version. If it's still there, it goes like this: shoot a burst at a target. Chances of hitting the target calculated normally, everything's fine. If any other secondary targets happen to be in the cone of fire, however, said secondary target(s) seem to be hit 100% of the time with every bullet, which usually makes them just explode... even if they are way too far to be effectively damaged by (supposedly inaccurate) burst fire.

This works for both you and the enemy, and as an upshot if becomes very important to space your guys so that no two are within a cone of fire, even when you're at ranges where this wouldn't otherwise be necessary.

If you don't encounter this bug, could you let me know what version or patch you're using? Because I'd love to play without the issue.

Gerrard

Arcane
I see whole team is babies, is no one going to use the Browning M2? Except maybe Jimbob.

Ashery

Prophet
root said:
semi-ironman? apart from the second part of the last mission, FOT isn't exactly difficult.

The crashes make it difficult ;p

And Brownnoser isn't really necessary; I either hit the last rank or had the one right below it without taking it once. Some of the promotions are an absolute bitch to get, though. The map with the fusion batteries is probably the most difficult one to get the promotion on.

And there's a perk that gives +3 (Maybe +2) to Str for weapon handling purposes, so you only need modest Str to use every weapon. And doesn't power armor give another bonus (+2?).

lightbane

Arcane
Now I want to play this game again but I no longer remember what tactics I used to finish it. So let me ask some things spekkio if you don't mind:

Should I really get Kamikaze/Finesse for a sniper main character? What's the advantage of First Aids compared to the Medic skill, isn't Medic better? Why didn't you tag Stealth (you can get another tag perk at level 14 or so, I do not remember)?

Squirly

Educated
Don't know if you still need recruits but you might so:

Name: Squirly

Sex: male

Portrait:
rckjg8.jpg

Stats:

ST 7
PE 7
EN 7
CH 4
IN 8
AG 9
LU 5

Traits: Gifted
Fast Shot (Big Guns don't need targeting anyway)

I'll leave the choice of the last trait at your discretion.

Skills: Big Guns
Sneak
First Aid (Haven't seen a lot of medics yet)

Preferred Perks: Strength +1, Agility +1 Anything that makes me more of a bastard with rocket launchers, machine guns and flame-throwers

Skill useful from team's POV: First Aid

Give this guy a ripper and something big and he'll be sorted for any situation. He can hold back to heal any unfortunates and step in and blow shit away if he needs to.

laclongquan

Arcane
Brownnoser is for idiotic mercenary commander who cant save his men so he need to hire new meats everytime he hit the bunker's personel pool.

Since I think a few here has that tendency I thought a mention of that perk is necessary.

juggernaut

Educated
Name: Juggernaut
Sex: Female
Portrait:
2gwulb8.jpg

Stats:
S: 8
P: 6
E: 7
C: 2
I: 6
A: 8
L: 10

Traits: Jinxed, Gifted
Skills: Sneak, Unarmed, Outdoorsman
Team Skill: Outdoorsman
Perks: all the HTH stuff etc.
Weapons: whatever works

Squirly

Educated
Thinking back, I remember that sneak was fairly useful in Tactics. I'm wondering if I should replace melee with sneak instead....

which I have now done. spekkio take note.

spekkio

Arcane
BRB, work. :(

One thing: I think we should tone down difficulty level a little:

n69x0y.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
Yeesh said:
About Burst Bug
Yeesh said:
If you don't encounter this bug, could you let me know what version or patch you're using? Because I'd love to play without the issue.
The bug is still there I think. But if they didn't patch it up, it's probably a feature... :)

More info here

lightbane said:
Now I want to play this game again but I no longer remember what tactics I used to finish it. So let me ask some things spekkio if you don't mind
Well, I'm not an expert in FT-BOS actually...

Should I really get Kamikaze/Finesse for a sniper main character?
I have no idea. Traits have advantages and disadvantages - if you really want criticals and don't mind the penalty to regular damage, pick Finesse. If not - don't. There's no clear answer.

What's the advantage of First Aids compared to the Medic skill, isn't Medic better?

Teh Vault said:
First Aid: General healing skill, used to heal small cuts, abrasions and other minor ills. In game terms, the use of first aid can heal more hit points over time than the rest.

Doctor: Doctor skill can heal crippled limbs or replenish hit points with successful use. In addition to healing crippled limbs, the doctor skill also heals 4-10 hit points per successful use
Why didn't you tag Stealth (you can get another tag perk at level 14 or so, I do not remember)?
Mainly because I was the one creating my character, not you. You're looking for a holy grail of FT-BOS character builds or sth? A perfect build that will cure AIDS and cancer? :roll:

laclongquan said:
stuff about recruiting
You've noticed that I'm not gonna recruit characters regular way, have you?

Squirly said:
spekkio take note
I did, BROther.

root said:
what the fuck were they doing there, anyway? why dint you just sneak up to the guy and blasted the bejesus out of him?

Well I haven't started yet, I was just curious how difficulty levels work.

:smug:

Mah conclusion (correct me if I'm wrong): they affect active and passive skills. At least that's what Teh Vault states:
  • Combat and tagged skills are unaffected by difficulty settings.
  • Active and passive skills are lowered by 10 (%) when the difficulty is changed from "normal" to "hard".
  • Active and passive skills are raised by 20 (%) when the difficulty is changed from "normal" to "easy".
How does it work in practice?
Screenshots taken during mission #1, the same situation with different difficulty settings. We have better equipment than our enemies.

1) Difficulty: normal

353csqx.jpg

Standard accuracy. We hit for 10-20 HPs, they hit for 5-10 HPs.
Conclusion: POPAMOLE

2) Difficulty: Hard

vwwiu0.jpg

Accuracy reduced by ~10%. We hit for 5-10 HPs, they hit for 5-10 HPs.
Conclusion: Fair

3) Difficulty: Insane

24viqon.jpg

Accuracy reduced by ~20%. We hit for ~5 HPs (IF we hit them at all), they hit for 10-20 HPs. Enemy's critical shot can take 30-40 HPs, killing our soldier instantly even on full HP.
Conclusion: WTF?

This situation for example:

n69x0y.jpg

Enemy soldier equipped with Colt .45 killed both Neinmaske and Charlotte with one burst shot. :roll:

Of course you're gonna say that's "realistic" and that I should sneak/crawl all the time etc. The problem is, sooner or later we're gonna be discovered and (instantly) killed...

tl;dr

xf5n3m.jpg

SUCK IT DOWN

More meat for the grinder?

Name: Phoenix

Sex: Female

Portrait:

SPECIAL Stats:

ST 6
PE 6
EN 10
CH 1
IN 8
AG 8
LK 1

Traits: Kamikaze, Jinxed

(Preferred) Perks: Pyromaniac, Toughness/Defensive perks of your choice (but not Crazy Bomber)

Tagged Skills: Big Guns, Throwing, Traps

Preferred Weapons: Flamethrower / Grenades

spekkio

Arcane
Mission 01 - Brahmin Wood

Briefing:

2yzlkw0.jpg

Code:
At ease, Initiate. My name is General Barnaky. I will be giving you your orders before every mission. But, before that, I'd like to personally welcome you aboard. Considering that the Brotherhood Basic Training attrition rate is eighty five percent, you should be very proud of yourself. Now, on to business.

Two nights ago, raiders invaded the resource rich tribal village of Brahmin Wood. Their losses have been heavy and they are now ready to accept the Brotherhood's conditions for protection. We will return their lands and rescue these primitive people in exchange for food and a portion of their older children for new recruits. We must expand our ranks to meet our objectives, which makes every village count.

I don't know what is driving the raiders this close to our base of operations, but they have been punishing the surrounding area. Brahmin Wood is one of many villages that is now occupied by raiders. The inhabitants that did not escape, have been slain or imprisoned. Make no mistake Initiate, they have killed a fair amount of our Brothers. Do not underestimate them.

You will take your squad to Brahmin Wood, locate and eliminate the leader of the group of Raiders. Once he is removed, his followers will surely fall into disarray. You will then use the Brotherhood's superior might and intellect to butcher the remaining criminals. This is a standard assault mission so consult the map in your Pipboy for the latest intelligence on the area.

One more thing, warrior. You must ensure that the village Elder survives; he is the key to our plans for this town. According to the local tribal custom, he alone deals with outsiders. Without him, we can have no agreement with the rest of the tribe.

Dismissed.
Our team starts in SW corner

72zrjk.jpg

fn94lu.jpg

Equipment: Bro - MP5, Charlotte - Hunting Rifle, Neinmaske - PA Shotgun. They switch equipment following the preferred equipment posted above.

Bro equips a Rifle. Having his SG skill below 50% he's gonna suck as a sniper in early levels. Let's give him a pistol for close combat (burst).

ejydye.jpg

Charlotte equips a Shotgun. One weapon should be enough for her now. She has the highest FA skill ATM so let's give her our one and only FA Kit.

2pt5puo.jpg

Neinmaske equips a SMG. He has the highest Carry Weight so he's gonna act as our mule.

wakj1u.jpg

We meet a group of the tribals to the east

razviv.jpg

Their leader greets us

5k2dj9.jpg

Code:
Greetings to the Brotherhood of Steel. You are speaking with Charon, Elder and tribal Father to Brahmin Wood.

You have arrived none too soon. Our village has fallen to raiders who rode out of the darkness. Some of my people escaped death or bondage by fleeing into the wasteland, but without tools and shelter...

This must be the doing of the Brahmin God of Fate. With the bandits we trade away our present, in the Brotherhood we trade away our future. *Sigh*... very well Initiate, I fully agree to your terms, but I fear this decision will haunt me till I reach the Eternal Grazing Field in the heavens.

Our villagers are being held prisoner in the camp. Save them, and you will have more people to aid your cause. Lose them, and you will be cutting Brahmin from your own herd.
We move NE, near the bridge

mtkpcx.jpg

Three guards are visible: two north and one east

iny2ip.jpg

ajvu9u.jpg

I set my men to Defensive Sentry Mode (threshold 66%) and we rush blindly into the battle!
Well... not.

2qsuo2s.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom