Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets Play DoomRL! For Graphics whores!

Lindblum

Augur
:bravo:
That was beautiful~

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Question: Assuming I get far enough to make the attempt, should I forgo getting screenshots of the final bosses in order to get a full win more safely by blasting them from off screen?

kazgar

Arcane
Purging the monsters of hell is greater then any screenshot. I'm sure whatever captures you do get will be enough, and if not, they can play the game for themselves.

once more into the fray!

Damned Registrations

Update time!

DRLb0001.png

Is it me? I feel pretty fucking sinister right now.
DRLb0002.png

This is a cakewalk. Thanks for berserker we're in constant berserk mode here, moving and attacking very quickly, and one shotting everything.
DRLb0003.png

And our shield has barely been scratched.
DRLb0004.png

Mmmm. Broken movespeed. /drool
DRLb0005.png

Why hello there friend.
DRLb0007.png

Note that being hit by him is triggering our berserk trait, even though he's only doing 1 damage after the resistance is factored in.
DRLb0008.png

So yeah.... that was fucking easy. He hit us what, 4 times?
DRLb0010.png

Ah, our richly deserved reward.
DRLb0011.png

Muahahahaha.
DRLb0012.png

Yeah, that sounds about right. Oh, and this melee weapon, btw, doesn't deal melee damage. It deals PLASMA damage instead.
DRLb0013.png

Including when you do this with it.
DRLb0014.png

Let the massacre begin.
DRLb0015.png

Though, a gun is still warranted for safety reasons. We are by no means invincible. Yet.
DRLb0016.png

But man are we ever scarily fast and dangerous.
DRLb0017.png

Hmmm, we don't need the skulls anymore, so I ditch one to grab the ammo.
DRLb0018.png

Excellent.
DRLb0019.png

More luck for our hero Yeesh.
DRLb0020.png

But how do we get into these without a rocket launcher? Isn't using the phase devices suicidally dangerous?
DRLb0021.png

Yeah, it would be. You didn't think I lugged that stupid staff this whole way for the shitty ass explosion thing did you?
DRLb0022.png

You really want to go mano y mano against the spear of destiny bro?
DRLb0023.png

Yeah, good luck with that.
DRLb0024.png

Ow. This place is fucking dangerous.
DRLb0025.png

Well, so are we.
DRLb0026.png

The layout here isn't very conducive to tactical fighting. It's more suited to guns blazing slugfests really.
DRLb0028.png

We can oblige, since we're berserked.
DRLb0029.png

Eat 56 plasma damage fucker.
DRLb0030.png

Wow, they survive that shit?
DRLb0031.png

Well, we got ammo to spare.
DRLb0032.png

Time to unload this sucker.
DRLb0034.png

Better safe than sorry. Note the teleporters above us for getting you out in case you warped in like a maniac.
DRLb0036.png

Here's the unique we found. Not really useful for us at this point, though it is a neat gun.
DRLb0037.png

Missed the level clearing message so here's the message list. You get a pretty nice medal for doing this, clearing the vaults properly is quite a task.
DRLb0038.png

Ugh, a soldier level. We'll have to watch out for commandos, plasma rifles are deathraps.
DRLb0039.png

Ditching more of these.
DRLb0040.png

Now we play hide and go seek with former humans carrying plasma weapons.
DRLb0041.png

Found you!
DRLb0042.png

Oh fuck it, this is taking too long.
DRLb0043.png

We got hurt pretty badly by a guy with a chaingun in there, so we're heading back for some health.
DRLb0044.png

Not a huge bonus, but enough to keep us safish for now.
DRLb0045.png

Ditch the acid gun to get a nuke.
DRLb0046.png

This level actually had 2... we seriously don't need this many. This is just pure overkill.
DRLb0047.png

This will keep us safe from anything they can fire at us.
DRLb0048.png

More POWER! Ironman is the only trait so fucking awesome it doesn't even lead to an advanced trait. Because that would make it too fucking good.
DRLb0049.png

Yeah, we're pretty fucking badass now.
DRLb0050.png

Small medpacks aren't worth carrying, since if you use them in battle you'll probably lose that much health in the time it takes to use them at this point. We just use them as power ups at this point.
DRLb0051.png

Nice.
DRLb0052.png

Wekk we're certainly loaded with gear now.
DRLb0053.png

Of course we find this lever after everything is dead. :decline:
DRLb0054.png

Patch up our lava armor.
DRLb0055.png

'tis barely a flesh wound!
DRLb0056.png

Lava armor is so nice to have in hell. Almost everything is using either plasma or fire and we're super resistant to both now.
DRLb0057.png

That is not a lever we want to hit.
DRLb0058.png

Oh man, this shit is too easy.
DRLb0059.png

These guys are a joke.
DRLb0060.png

He isn't even fast enough to move back right away.
DRLb0061.png

Well, that could prove to be annoying.
DRLb0062.png

Problem solved.
DRLb0063.png

This is not where we want to be standing relative to a revenant.
DRLb0064.png

Much better.
DRLb0065.png

I'd lance the fucker, but killing the archvile first is much more important.
DRLb0066.png

The messages here are kind of confusing: We shot at the archvile. It's still alive. It then blasted us. We went berserk. The revenant (who also got blasted hard, and isn't fire resistant) got killed between the archvile and the acid bath.
DRLb0067.png

We proceed to murder the fuck out of things while berserk.
DRLb0070.png

Nice.
DRLb0071.png

Plasma ownage.
DRLb0072.png

ANOTHER one? Fuck Yeesh, you're going to use all your luck up and get killed by rocks falling or something.
DRLb0073.png

And our next target is right here. Perfect.
DRLb0074.png

I burn a phase device after grabbing the invincibility from the other side of the level to save us a bunch of turns.
DRLb0075.png

It drops us in a nearly ideal spot.
DRLb0076.png

That is a LOT of fucking invincibility.
DRLb0077.png

And we are going to need it, very very badly.
DRLb0078.png

Welcome to the mortuary. This is widely considered to be the most difficult level in the game. It doesn't even show up on easy difficulty.
DRLb0079.png

We start off next to TWO supercharge globes. They are fucking necessary.
DRLb0080.png

So whats so tough about a big open level when it's this late and we have all this awesome shit and we get free supercharges?
DRLb0081.png

The level starts with a bunch of archviles scattered around, and a TON of corpses. It quickly becomes a level filled with pretty much everything that can spawn in the game. The corpses get skewed towards more dangerous shit at higher difficulties. Just ENTERING this place awards you a bronze badge. Making it out alive, whether or not you even killed anything, is a silver. Clearing it is a gold.
DRLb0082.png

It helps to have a BFG. Aside from the obvious massacre, it chunks corpses over a huge radius.
DRLb0083.png

Skulls would be great for that too, if I'd remembered to keep them for this place. Oops.
DRLb0084.png

I don't need intuition to know some major league bad shit is moving over there.
DRLb0086.png

Yeah, thats what one fucking shot did. 12 fucking kills.
DRLb0087.png

Thats not including all the fragged corpses or the enemies near the edge that got shoved away instead of killed.
DRLb0088.png

Alas, at 40 rounds a shot, we run out of ammo pretty quickly.
DRLb0089.png

But we don't really have any better way of pulling this shit off. The only other really viable alternatives are truly insane pistol builds (ours is only mildly insane, even with that fucking gun), ammo chain builds, (which are easier on other challenges, where the ammo would be the main problem here, instead of us getting gibbed by the massive damage of so many enemies always hitting for top damage), or nuking the place while invincible. Which we could have done, but that'd be too fucking easy, boring, and it'd blow up all the loot.
DRLb0090.png

Left side is basically cleared now, but we have to work our way to the right, and enemies will have started occupying the middle area by now.
DRLb0091.png

Annoying fucking enemies that have been getting rezzed this whole time.
DRLb0092.png

DRLb0093.png

Yeah I though maybe I could badass my way through a bunch of this shit with the whole berserk + spear angle, but thats not gonna happen. Too much knockback on this mode, even imps send us flying.
DRLb0095.png

Only a couple shots left.
DRLb0096.png

Well, this one seems worthwhile.
DRLb0098.png

Looks pretty good to me.
DRLb0101.png

Now those are the fuckers I wanted to see.
DRLb0102.png

We have to pistol rape them, since we're out of plasma rounds pretty much.
DRLb0103.png

Shit, we're going to need to crack open the ammo chain soon too.
DRLb0104.png

And our armor is taking a beating. Theres nothing to repair it with in here either.
DRLb0105.png

I swtich to our tactical armor and run back for a supercharge.
DRLb0106.png

Back in action. Oh, and this place has some nice guaranteed weapon drops too, in case you somehow got this far without any. Did I mention there was another supercharge in every fucking corner?
DRLb0107.png

Back to the killing field.
DRLb0108.png

We empy clip after clip.
DRLb0110.png

Luckily one of the rezzed guys was a captain, and his chaingun gives us even more ammo.
DRLb0111.png

And the arachnotrons give us more energy cells.
DRLb0115.png

Almost done...
DRLb0116.png

Perfect.
DRLb0117.png

Another holy something?
DRLb0118.png

Damn right we will.
DRLb0119.png

Because a normal BFG just isn't good enough, we need one that replaces it's own god damned ammo over time and doubles as a nuke.
DRLb0120.png

I haven't mentioned yellow items yet have I? Yellows are (kind of) even better than uniques. They are uniques that appear in set locations. The other two we've found so far (the staff and spear) we grabbed while berserked, so it wasn't really apparent except in the menu.

DRLb0122.png

Welcome to fucking godhood Yeesh.
DRLb0123.png

No resists, no movespeed penalty or bonus, no knockback adjustment or funky durability traits (well actually, it can't be destroyed, but it can be reduced to 0% and have 0/7 armor.) Just 7 badass points of armor.
DRLb0124.png

Oh, did I mention wearing it while holding the spear of destiny gives us another flat 4 points of armor?
DRLb0126.png

Time to get going.
DRLb0127.png

I was considering saving the angelic armor for a major fight, but we have the lava armor too, and the angelic armor can be easily repaired like any other armor, so...
DRLb0128.png

Lets enjoy some fucking godhood.
DRLb0129.png

Another level. Notice anything odd?
DRLb0130.png

Yeah, level 12 marks increased caps on basic traits. We get SoaG FOUR now.
DRLb0131.png

.18 seconds per shot. NOW we can qualify for 'truly insane' pistol build. If we had this at the mortuary (and we would on a higher difficulty with more xps) we wouldn't have even needed the BFG.
DRLb0132.png

Were we hit? I can't say I noticed.
DRLb0133.png

Not hard to keep this armor in good shapre when enemies can barely scratch it to begin with.
DRLb0134.png

Hmmm, supercharged health, some lava, no enemies... lets patch up our lava armor a bit.
DRLb0136.png

Ah, nice and toasty warm.
DRLb0137.png

Nice, we can start refilling our BFGs with these.
DRLb0138.png

Yeah sorry, your chump plasma gun isn't going to cut it any more bitch. You're just a walking pile of energy cells now.
DRLb0139.png

Help help I'm being taunted with weapons made for children!
DRLb0140.png

We don't really need this thing any more. We're stupidly fast even in the angelic armor anyways. And even if we weren't we're nearly indestructible, have multiple phase devices, and enough nukes to clear every level left in the game without firing a god damned shot if we get the invincibility to do so. Not to mention enoguh firepower to rape shit before it hurts us anyways, instead of running away.

Whats that?

The next screenshot?

Yeah, this is when the power went out on the block where I live. DoomRL doesn't save backups in case of shit like that so Yeesh was banished to a dark oblivion.

Bye Yeesh, you probably would have been in the top 5 on my hall of fame, but now there's not even a mortem for you, and no medals either. This LP is your grave.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Well, that sucks. Anyways, having read this thread you've piqued my interest in DoomRL, I tried it a while back and didn't like it much. Shall have to give it another try.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Sigh. Guess Yeesh wasn't meant to become a deity after all :(

Power corrupts - and absolute power corrupts the power lines? Huh.

Damned Registrations

No troll, that really just happened. Now I'm debating whether or not I want to keep trying for this shit. Losing that character really sucked balls.

Lindblum

Augur
I REALLY want to see the ending, if you could spare the time for another new build/run through the game..
I am absolutely rubbish at this game and your LP with tiles is a really great learning tool.

Yeesh

Magister
That is so weak. I remember I had a crash or two (but maybe just one) in Crawl, but I'm pretty sure lost the play since the start of the session (if I even lost that much). I'm a big fan of the forced-ironman nature of roguelikes, but not autosaving every ten minutes or so blows. In addition to power outages, there are brown outs in the summer, and there are crashes of the game itself, or other applications, or the OS, among other assorted troubles. It's just common sense to have some sort of contingency in place.

Damned Registrations

If you guys really loved me you'd bump this to the next page so the awesomeness of the next update doesn't have to share a page with this horribly tragic one.

Ashery

Prophet
If you guys really loved me you'd bump this to the next page so the awesomeness of the next update doesn't have to share a page with this horribly tragic one.

:love:

Pretty sure DCSS autosaved whenever you entered a different level. Really surprised that DoomRL didn't have something similar.

Damned Registrations

DoomRL is a total dick about saving. You can only save on the stairs to a new level, and it forces you down the stairs. On top of that, on the hardest difficulty, saving isn't permitted at all. It is easily the thing I dislike most about the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom