Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Conquest of Elysium 3

???

• Baron

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Necromancer

• Demonologist

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Witch

• High Priestess

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Bakemono

• Barbarian

• Senator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pale One

• Druid

• Burgmeister

• Warlock

• Priest King

• Troll King

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Enchanter

• High Cultist

• Dwarf Queen

• Total voters

Phelot

Arcane
Oh God... why am I doing this?

Conquest of Elysium 3

So, what is this game? It's a turn based strategy game in which you pick a faction and try and kill all the others. Pretty simple, really. Each faction has different things they can do or collect in order to summon or purchase units. Units are led by commanders and a faction is eliminated if every commander OR their last citadel is conquered. Combat is NOT controlled by the player. Below I'll describe the different factions and you little bitches vote on which one we'll be playing as:

I want to be a...

Baron-
Starts with 2 commanders, no magic users other than those that can be randomly hired. Relies on gold and iron. Can hire hordes of basic units like spearmen, archers, swordsmen. Pretty boring, but since I'm a pretty boring guy, I love this class!

Necromancer-
Starts very weak. 2 starting magical commanders. You rely on a special ingredient called "Hands of Glory" which you can get from Gallows, graveyards, larger settlements. Each location will generate a set amount each turn. We use these to cast necromancer spells such as summoning special undead and eventually to transform our necro into either a vampire or a lich. You may also raise dead from anywhere that has dead bodies i.e. the site of the battle you fought last turn, a town, a graveyard, etc. The catch is that each time you summon undead, you gain more insanity. When insane, you can't move for that turn. Transforming into a lick makes you able to raise dead with impunity.

Demonologist-
Like the Necromancer, the Demonologist relies on a special ingredient: human sacrifice. So as this we'll be targeting human settlements. The larger the settlement we control, the more sacrfices it will generate each turn. We use these to summon demons, of course. We also get to choose how large of a sacrifice we would like to use. Smaller sacrifices risks the binding of the demon failing and it will attack us. Starts with 2 commanders.

Witch-
Witches start with two commanders. Their special ingredient is fungus which we get from forests and swamps, thus the Witch is one of the unique classes that can claim forests and swamps while for other factions they are merely an obstacle. Using fungus allows us to summon... uh... witch stuff and like demons, you can choose how much fungus you wish to use in a ritual which will determine whether what you summoned is bound to you. Also note, the witch can summon a unit called "Creeping Doom" which is nearly invulnerable since it cannot be harmed by normal weapons, only magical or elemental (fire, cold) Most of the witches units use poison as a weapon which can be disastrous if up against golems or undead.

High Priestess-
Basically, a female version of the Demonologist, but they get cool ground units they can hire. You collect sacrifices and summon demons and spiders. Eventaully, you can also sacrifice yourself to summon the god they worship ie transform into the god.

Bakemono-
Stupid green people that also collect human sacrifices to summon crap. I hate this faction, so that means you'll probably vote for it.

Barbarian-
What is best in life? Actually, this faction has some magic to back it up. Starts out with no magic users, but some can be hired later on that collect... IIRC fungus from forests to summon ancestral spirits. Lots of powerful units to hire on that come in numbers. That is, you hire 7 warriors for 50 gold to the standard 5 units for 50 gold most other factions get, so you get hordes of barbarians with a bit of magic mixed in.

Senator-
YAWN. Don't really like this one. Pretty standard stuff. You start with 2 commanders, 1 being the senator which is basically useless. Hire standard Roman type infantry velites, etc. including special gladiator type units. Can summon various cultists, some water magic based, the serpent cult, etc.

Pale One-
Giant one eyed troglodytes that live in caves. Fairly strong units that unfortunately suck in combat, but have high HP. Will eventually collect gems from mines once the right units are summoned. Starting commander is very strong.

Druid-
For the environmentalists. Like the witch, we'll be controlling forests, but for herbs which we use to call the wild. What that means, is we use herbs to summon random animals that are based on whatever tile we happen to be on. Summon in a forest, get bears, moose, etc. summon in a jungle and get tigers, etc. LOL summon in settlements and get goats, donkeys, rabbits... Pretty fun class.

Burgmeister-
Halflings. Don't normally play as this one. Since they're small, they can't move as fast per turn. They eventually get a magic user that collects gems from mines that allows them to summon constructs like clockwork soldiers and the like. They ALSO get another type that collects weed and summons other crap. So, two sources to summon from. They are individually very weak, of course.

Warlock-
Now this is an interesting class. Basically an elementalist. When you select this class, you start as a random Warlock of <insert random element> thus you might be a Warlock of Fire or maybe of Water. You collect 4 types of gems from mines. And thus, red gems will summon fire creatures and white gems will summon air creatures and so on.

Priest King-
Another faction I barely ever play as. Basically these are Aztec type warriors. You collect human sacrfices to summon stuff, you can hunt for slaves in settlements and get them to fight for you. Very weak weapons and units.

Troll King-
Basically a giant :troll:. Trolls are fun to play as! You start with one troll king. Trolls regenerate during combat and will completely regenerate at the end of battle AND can heal battle afflictions (each time a unit is damaged, it can get an affliction such as lost eye or never healing wound, etc) At first you'll just be buying more trolls, ettins, ogres, goblins, etc. But eventually your troll mom comes to help you and you can begin to collect fungus just like the witch, but instead of summoning things, you can perform rituals such as "Call the Old Forest" which makes one forest become a troll forest. What that does, is the forest will generate monsters friendly to your faction, but that you don't control. Mostly undead type stuff that runs amok. Pretty cool.

Enchanter-
Or rather golem and construct maker. Like the Baron, you'll be gunning for mines and settlements, except times 10 since most of what the Enchanter summons is expensive. His units have all kinds of immunities and are typically powerhouses, but normally do not heal after battle.

High Cultist-
For the Lovecraft fan. Human sacrifices again. You always start on a coast, and you get all kinds of insane peasants, hybrids, generating in your coastal settlements. Use sacrifices to call "Deep Ones" which in turn can use sacrifices for more advanced spells such as sending "horrors" abroad to cause mayhem.

Dwarf Queen-
The dwarf queen is basically a giant, fatass woman that farts out a new dwarf every turn. You collect diamonds to cry for other mines. Can summon Rune Smiths that can create advance dwarven units. I don't normally play as this one.

I can't believe I typed all this.

Anyway, I'll leave voting up for 2 days since I won't be around much tomorrow after work. This will, of course, have to be VERY larp heavy to make interesting. :D

EDIT: FUUUU! I forgot to set the poll date. Well, on Friday I'll check back.

EDIT 2:
Here is what you're voting for in case you want a preview of which pixelated thing we'll be playing as.
5eas6.png

Cassidy

Arcane
Was undecided between Demonologist and Witch, but in the end I clicked on Demonologist with my left hand (I know this is a very very lame joke)

Also

Dwarf Queen-
The dwarf queen is basically a giant, fatass woman that farts out a new dwarf every turn. You collect diamonds to cry for other mines. Can summon Rune Smiths that can create advance dwarven units. I don't normally play as this one.

I think this is an interesting way of explaining why the Dwarves in Arcanum were so angry when anyone asked them about their women.

Phelot

Arcane
:lol: Yeah, I must admit that CoE3 takes dwarves to a whole new level.

Monsieur Yaourt

Educated
You forgot to mention necrotods. An Enchanter with necrotods can troll the Troll King player pretty hard.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I started getting lazy near the end of the list.

Phelot

Arcane
OK, looks like we'll be a Troll in this. I'll try to have first update tonight. POLL CLOSED!

Phelot

Arcane
Will you "roleplay" a specific (in)famous Codexer as the Troll King?

:M

Who might that be? Cleve? That's a good idea...

For the time being, I'd just like to introduce the game, so...

*DUM DUMDUM DUM DUM DUM!!!!!!*

10570.jpg
Oh, hey kids, I guess you're here for the Conquest of Elysium 3 let's play, yeah sure sure, let me show you around. Lemme just get my lighter.

Well, here we have the title screen.
2mpfq1e.jpg

You'll notice that CoE3 comes with a nice Windows 95 era screen saver in the background. We pick random map.

39zsl.jpg

Here we select what sort of game we want to play. Large should be sufficient. Give us a little breathing room for our troll. Now, if we had selected another faction I might consider changing the society from random. Each society generates the map in a different way. Agriculture has lots of farms, small settlements, etc, while dark ages has lots of pre human stuff like ancient temples, dwarven cities, etc. We'll leave it at random since the troll can handle any society. All Advanced options will be left unchecked. You can discriminate against Africans and Mexicans by removing southern terrain which includes deserts and jungles.

1zgvkso.jpg

Here's the faction setups. I'll keep everything the other factions random, keep it interesting. I've set each AI difficulty to Duke which is the 8/10 most difficult. I recommend the 5th most difficult level since anything lower almost guarantees a few AI's lose their citadel in the first few turns. Hell, that can even happen at the higher levels, but this should make it more interesting.

2n1b346.jpg

And the greatest troll of all? Oh yes...

mhfux1.jpg

And here we are! (Note: may have to increase resolution, probably too small?)

Just to show you what everything is: The top left box shows whatever commanders are in the square you select. In the Top right box most things should be self explanatory. The little sun icon shows that it is currently Summer. For now, the seasons don't matter to the Troll King, but it will in the future. I'll explain when needed.

The little gold thing represents your gold and the hammer represents your iron and the number in parentheses by each represents how much we're earning each turn. So, currently our prestigious troll king has 20 bucks to his name, but we'll change that! Oh yeah, and that little cart represents trade, but I doubt we'll be dealing with that much right now. Basically, it allows us to buy or sell gold or iron.

The final box in the lower right: Sentry makes the commander "sleep" wherever he is i.e. stops bugging you to move him, while transfer units... transfers units. To the commander, that is.

1tak2v.jpg

So anyway, here's what we start with. Our Glorious Troll Lord and ten shitty goblins.

23t2mbs.jpg

Right clicking on any unit reveals their stats. Here we see Cleve's (MOAR LIKE CLEAVE AMIRITE?) stats. Most are self explanatory, but:

• Hit Points: Duh
  • Strength: Allows you to resist certain effects like entanglement
  • Morale: Effects how resistant the unit is to fear effects
  • XP: Automatically makes this an RPG. Gaining enough XP grants a few bonuses to stats. Honestly, not that special.
  • Armor: the number indicates how much incoming damage is absorbed.
  • Rank: Indicates where in the battle the unit will be. In this case, the front. Magic users are normally in the back while archers and a few other types will be in the mid.
So, you'll notice a few slots for magic items. The troll king, unfortunately doesn't have many slots. They are all currently empty.

Then Attacks: We see "club" listed twice, this means we'll have two attacks each turn in combat. Don't want to disappoint you, but we don't control anything during combat. LOL, this is the first troll lesson of CoE3. You'll see what I mean.

Now then, each one of those icons represents an ability or disability.

• Eye is Acute Senses which allows us to see stealthy units. Stealthy units cannot be detected on the map without a commander having this ability.
  • The green... uh... thing is Regeneration which means each combat round the unit will heal about a tenth (for the current HP of the king it'll be +7) of its HP.
  • Fire with an X through it is Fire Vulnerability which means we'll be taking double damage from fire attacks. Hopefully there aren't any Warlocks around...
  • Elephant is Giant Sized which allows us to move around the map easier i.e. a forest costs one move point rather than two.
And that's that.

be6iq.jpg

And just to show you how shitty goblins are...

2gvj9s8.jpg

Now, just to show you what you can buy, here is the recruit screen. Cleve currently sunk all his money into building his awesome Troll Pit Bunker so he can't afford anything right now... and won't be able to until we go out and retake this world from the Machete Rape Gangs. Just to note, if there was a unique commander or unit for hire, it would be in blue, but currently there aren't so...

10570.jpg
...That's about it for looking under the game hood. I know this was a lame update and I know you kids want explosions and romance... Soon... Seriously, I'm workin on it, but I needed to make sure you all knew what was going on first. Next update, I'll let Cleve take over. Also, you guys think the res should be higher? I mean, there isn't much to see other than larger pixels, but I'll let you guys decide, maybe bumping to 1024x768 wouldn't be that bad.

Also, you guys think the res should be higher? I mean, there isn't much to see other than larger pixels, but I'll let you guys decide, maybe bumping to 1024x768 wouldn't be that bad.
Ayup, it could use being a bit bigger. Especially, the grid/map shot was kinda uncomfortable trying to make out (I should probably stop making out with screenshots, though, hurr).

Phelot

Arcane
Early Summer, Year Unknown

"A man's foundation is his past. Sometimes a man grows so tall he forgets his foundation, buried under more recent memories, sometimes that's the way he wants it to be... but the past cannot be escaped for long, as I found out one hot early summer day..."

2u96a3d.jpg

"Grandpa, Grandpa! Check out this old book I found in your condom drawer!"

"'Old book?' I thought. I honestly didn't remember it, but as soon as I saw what my grandson carried, my heart stopped, but for a moment. My past... my foundation came back to me. So long did I hide away that book, not wanting to remember what was in it. I should have known I would not die without having to reread that black book..."

Demented Kid: "Grandpa, what is it?"

Old Man: "Well, sonny... well... just have a seat right here and I'll read you it. I suppose it's time you've heard it too."

DK: "Is it about Commander Shepard and all the men he slept with?"

EDIT: FFS, the parrot maybe makes it better anyway...

OM: "Ha ha! No... no, it's a diary."

DK: "A diary? Yours?"

OM: "No, it was my great great GREAT grandfathers diary. A man named Cleve. Cleveland Mark Blakemore. Child, this book chronicles our families struggle."

DM: "Struggle against what?"

OM: "Well... perhaps it's time you knew the truth, boy."

yfqf4.jpg

OM: "Now, sit quietly and listen carefully to the accounts of that great man. Listen and learn what it took to get what we have here. And so, it begins:"

mhfux1.jpg

Early Summer, Year... 0. A new beginning, a new date, we emerge from my ingeniously built vault into the bright world above. Just as I assumed, scum are bivouacked at our doorway. Mutant Moose, and scavengers.

1tak2v.jpg

Years of living in the vault have... changed us. We lasted awhile on our reserves of water, but eventually we had to collect seepage from the soil. They laughed at me when I said flouride would cause skin discoloration. Now our skin is green and sickly.

308zn6r.jpg

I'm leaving my followers to defend the vault. To be honest, they don't stand a chance, but I have to secure supplies or we're doomed... or even more doomed than we already are. First to deal with the immediate scum around our perimeter. I'm taking on the moose first.

t9xzyx.jpg

Luckily my Neanderthal Titanium Infrastructure is both strong AND regenerates lost blood cells at nearly 534% the normal human rate. The moose falls. Not my first victim and certainly not my last.

2zfk2eh.jpg

A month later and the scavengers are still around, so I'm forced to deal with them. Only two of them, but I know there are an infinite left to deal with, each with breathe stinking of baby meat, each wielding a rusted machete, each blacker than obsidian.

2vdpi60.jpg

I begin a recon mission around the vault to see if there are any other survivors that aren't mad. Success! A small hamlet is found and it is undefended not hostile. Also of note is the emerging coast line... so, we're near the northern edge of the world now.

34gorab.jpg

Upon conditioning the inhabitants of the hamlet for service, I notice an iron mine nearby occupied by a fellow vault dweller. In any case, the hamlet provides 2 gold a turn. Finally, we have supplies, meager as they are.

6tp9cg.jpg

A closer look at the fellow vault dwellers. As much as I'm sure I could take them, I decide to be generous and allow them to keep their mine for the time being.

2jezomt.jpg

Autumn... and soon the cold winter will be here. During winter I can expect no income from the hamlet. I wish Mom was here to comfort me... I do miss her.

ojl8ub.jpg

Scouting to the west reveals little of interest.

2eckq54.jpg

Other than these 3 boars. I decide to waste em as they could potentially reach my vault and I doubt my people could deal with them at this point.

j0lgde.jpg

Another hamlet! But it's guarded by Zionist Levies. So... the Zionists survived the nukes. I plan on liberating the poor folks momentarily, but first, what is this strange swamp creature?

28h27ir.jpg

Intel suggests there's no point in attacking it for now. These critters tend to stay put and not wander the map.

kdpkwh.jpg

Next to them were a couple of snakes. To a lesser man, these venomous creatures could prove fatal. Well, in any case they aren't worth my time. Now to deal with those Levies.

17crbc.jpg

Die!

fuyxq1.jpg

No sooner do I have victory than a band of diminutive earth people show up. There's a lot of them which means they could be trouble. Unfortunately, I'll have to avoid them for now and there's a chance they'll take over the hamlet I just liberated, but I cannot die, my people depend on me!

30kr7gl.jpg

I decide to continue my recon around the vault when I find something I had hoped the nukes would have killed off...

2q067p5.jpg

A Biowarian! So... they wanted to be a dragon and so are. It has grown strong I see, too strong for me... for now. Besides, the old castle it haunts is of little use to me though in the future it may prove to be a suitable backup citadel for the vault... should it ever be over run.

Phelot

Arcane
Also, you guys think the res should be higher? I mean, there isn't much to see other than larger pixels, but I'll let you guys decide, maybe bumping to 1024x768 wouldn't be that bad.
Ayup, it could use being a bit bigger. Especially, the grid/map shot was kinda uncomfortable trying to make out (I should probably stop making out with screenshots, though, hurr).

I'll up it next update.

Phelot

Arcane
I dont understand how the combat works.

One of the complaints about the game is that there isn't really much you do in combat

When combat begins defenders get their turn first, then attackers. Rows of units attack from left to right and starting in the back (such as magicians casting spells) then to mid (such as crossbowmen or archers) and finally the front (melee units)

It's all real time which is why I can't really show what is going on too well.

It's certainly not for everyone, but you fight a lot of battles in the game so it would be tedious controlling each one.

Hope that explains it.

Phelot

Arcane
Spring, year 1

sya4b4.jpg

Mother of God! I was hoping to have more settlements and mines before coming across another faction, and this particular one is dangerous. Prosperian High Cultists and their hybrid abominations. 2 separate commanders close in on my hamlet.

nx87le.jpg

The first is a Hybrid cultist and some measly spearmen and crossbowman. They're nothing, but the cultist could be trouble depending on what spells he has.

14dgdfn.jpg

And indeed, he has paralysis which could prove fatal to me.

fucopl.jpg

As for the other cultist, again the spearmen aren't really an issue right now other than blocking my way to the guy in the back.

nb44tw.jpg

And once again, that paralysis spell could prove fatal if I'm caught by it. Hopefully, both units will turn elsewhere, but for now, I've got to get back to the citadel, because either cultist could easily wipe out my goblin defenders.

2hs4ys0.jpg

As you can see, the right hamlet has been taken over. The green bar across it lets you know it was just recently taken.

qrfzar.jpg

Fuck this! I'm heading in to take that hamlet back!

bdqwid.jpg

Next turn I get a message from Mom! Awesome! That gold is actually exactly what I need right now. I don't have any iron which means I won't be able to purchase any regenerating trolls, but there are other things...

1zxaxyc.jpg

Derp. I didn't take a screen shot, but the second of the two cultists (the human one) landed right at the door of the citadel and I took a great risk in attacking him.

qqsnrq.jpg

I was doing good, but around this time one of the cultists paralysis spells worked! I wasn't able to screen shot it (didn't think to pause :roll: ) but I finally broke out of it.

1651t3.jpg

And was able to smash the cultist. That was a pretty bad risk on my part. Units that can charm or paralyze are dangerous especially when you're doing what I'm doing and going solo with the Troll King.

In any case, safe for the moment, but I noticed that the left hamlet was taken by something, probably an independent. FFS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom