Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play...Call of Cthulhu: Shadow Of The Comet (Complete)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
You know, I was almost certain that the doctor was part of the cult (It's been many years since I've played it), since he would always have his study locked, but it seems it was just there to add some suspicion. There is also, a strange door in Jugg's home, that can be found behind a curtain , but this doesn't seem to have further significance either.

Also, I've collected all the game avatars here, added some more and edited them to add frames. It would be nice if someone from the staff, could make them forum avatars.

Shadow_ALister_boleskine.jpg
Shadow_ANGRYParker.jpg
Shadow_BarmanZeke.jpg
Shadow_Clerk.jpg

Shadow_Curtis_Hambleton.jpg
shadow_DrCobble.jpg
shadow_Gloria.jpg
Shadow_Griffith.jpg

Shadow_Jed_Donahue.jpg
Shadow_Johnathan_Mathews.jpg
Shadow_JohnParker.jpg
Shadow_Mary.jpg

shadow_Mayer.jpg
shadow_MayorArlington.jpg
Shadow_missPicott.jpg
Shadow_Mom_of_walter.jpg

Shadow_Narackamous.jpg
Shadow_Nathan_Tyler.jpg
shadow_Obed_Hambleton.jpg
shadow_Sergeant_baggs.jpg

Shadow_Nawatanga.jpg

shadow_Thomas_Bishop.jpg
shadow_TobiasJugg.jpg
Shadow_Underhouse.jpg
shadow_Walter_Webster.jpg

Shadow_Wilbur_hambletonjpg.jpg
shadow_263.jpg
shadow_265.jpg
shadow_276.jpg

shadow_307.jpg
shadow_456.jpg
shadow_457.jpg
shadow_wizard.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Shadow_Nathan_Tyler.jpg

It is clearly Jack Nicholson. Not one mistake about it. They really made this game with real actors in mind.

Dr. Cobble being played by Vincent Price is no coincidence either.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:
Shadow_Nathan_Tyler.jpg

It is clearly Jack Nicholson. Not one mistake about it. They really made this game with real actors in mind.

Dr. Cobble being played by Vincent Price is no coincidence either.

MasterOfTheObvious.jpg

Quilty

Magister
How about doing Dark Seed 1 or 2 next? What do you think, worthy of an LP?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Dark seed 1 is definitely worthy of an LP...

Pussycat669 said:
Forgot a few up there.

Coldstone.jpg
Coldstone

PostL.jpg
Postlady

..Great, now I have to actually play this thing again.

:shock: Is that from the original diskette version of the game? The CD version doesn't have these portraits. It was something that bothered me, especially for Coldstone.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
They are in the european cd version at least maybe just a little too easy to miss. The Postlady will be shown if you talk to her on the first day (but since you don't actually have to you'll probably not bother). Coldstone will appear in front of the post office when Parker starts to look for a guide. He'll try to lurk Parker into his house which means Game Over as usual. I only remembered him so clearly because of that creepy pedophile look.

Vipera

Scholar
This is really the only LP of a game I haven't played myself that makes me feel like I actually played it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
A guide to Shadow of the Comet

Poor Carter...So young...And already in the next world -
Randolph Carter was a writer in Boston, who used to investigate into cultural beliefs and practices of Far Eastern, Middle Eastern, and pagan European peoples, and inquiring into the ideas delved by them. He was a secular atheist, and he believed that this trait gave him a more fanciful mind than religious people, who don't like to entertain supernatural possibilities beyond what their scriptures tell them. Two scarring incidents dote his life, once when his friend Warren disappeared in the caverns beneath a swamp, and he woke up with a complete blank in his mind the next day out of sheer terror of what may have happened, and when his schoolteacher friend nearly died after they were gored by some seemingly disembodied animal with horns on its head. Out of the trauma of these incidents, Carter felt that there was some semblance of dream in this world, that there is a transcendental multiverse of which the material world is one illusion that hides many things that exist outside it. Carter descent into dream and fantasy as he starts understanding them take a strong form when he starts believing, or even becoming, a reporter called John Parker, and finds himself dreaming things ahead of himself in advance, as if he existed in many possible worlds at the same time. When his dreams as Parker see Parker killed, he is killed, by the sheer shock of the mind, and he is indeed "already in another world". (see: the Lone Statement of Randolph Carter, the Unnamable, Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath)

Heart attack -
In stories like From Beyond, when people know how some people can manipulate the fabric of this universe by doing things that exist beyond this space-time continuum, and know that they are not safe anywhere from things and creatures from beyond who are always a heartbeat away from disintegrating them, they actually die or come to clinical exhaustion from the sheer horror of it, because they'd rather shut themselves down quickly than face cosmic horrors that men like Narackamous (or his masters) can unleash.

Similarly, carrying the Necronomicon disintegrates Parker, because creatures always floating across the fibre of space and time don't pay attention to people who are not bothering with it, but will gladly rush in and tear the man out who enters into it and sees their presence. It is the horror of this disintegration that killed the antagonist from the above mentioned story.

Hambletons -
Impregnation with an ancient monster to conceive monstrous twins is an idea borrowed from Lovecraft story The Dunwich Horror, where a crustacean creature with long ropy arms, Yog Sothoth, impregnates a woman, and leads to two monstrous twins being born. Here, they replace Yog-Sothoth with Dagon, which results in inconspicuous mutations only half as monstrous.

Gypsies -
In Lovecraft stories like Horror at Red Hook, gypsies and other mystical eastern originated peoples are the last survivors of tales and practices from the "pre-Aryan" world, and these practices relate to the vestiges of knowledge of the ancients left with certain early human civilizations. Their rituals help invoke entry into those parts of the multiverse where one communes beyond space-and-time with people and creatures across time.

Boleskine -
Boleskine's ability to communicate to John Parker from beyond time long after he is dead, comes from the story the Shadow Out of Time, where a race of ancient creatures preserve themselves by having their mental frame disembody from themselves and reach out to creatures and species in the future, because the plane of the mind exists outside the material world.

Constellations -
In stories like Polaris, the position of stars and objects in the sky brings out connections and memories of things that happened a long time ago, and with the comet that passes in the sky every 76 years, it leaves its "shadow" of the terrible things that happened in the past.

Mic Macs -
The Mic Macs are known as They Who Worship The Night Howler, and interestingly, cults of people in parts of England who worship the Night Howler raise human cattle to feed on them as food in honour of the Howler, as seen in The Rats in the Walls. This affords them special powers, as it did to the Mic Macs.

I'll try to detect more references and inspirations from Lovecraft stories when I have more free time. :D

Wulfstand

Prophet
Anyone thinking on doing a Dark Corners of the Earth lp? There aren't many Lovecraft games out there, and this one is the last one worth mentioning not lp'ed.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Heh, I don't know, but the pedofile thing was just a nasty remark from my part. There wasn't any evidence in the game that he was a pedofile.

Wulfstand said:
Anyone thinking on doing a Dark Corners of the Earth lp? There aren't many Lovecraft games out there, and this one is the last one worth mentioning not lp'ed.

Be careful what you wish for... I might decide to rape that game after i'm done with PoI.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What hurts this game is the ugly graphics.

Ugly as in ugly drawings used in animation, ugly art direction, ugly crude pixelated graphics, and the shortcut use of actual pictures (for backgrounds) and actual people's faces to compensate for it.

Still so atmospheric and engaging. French games just don't have good graphics:
lost-eden-gameplay.png

alone1.gif

Damn their brilliance for narrative and atmosphere. :x

gameman

Novice
Hi all,

Great illustrated walkthrough for the game. I have one problem I hope someone can help me with. The text seems to be running slower than the speech. Is there a way to speed up the text to synchronize with the speech in DB Config? Thanks in advance.

Bill

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
There is a text-speed slider in the options, push it all the way to the right (where the icon turns into a horse) and you'll probably be fine.

gameman

Novice
Hi Ghostdog,

I don't see any slider in the config file, it's all text??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom